Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2013, 13:15   #121
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"

Idle Mind is Devil's Paradise.

Why such a statement? Well today I had an early morning dream. For somedays now, I was thinking of ways to attach my HDR CX130E in someway or other so that I can take some videos while driving Amun-Ra.

A few options that I could think of are as following :-

1> Remove the left RM, get hold of some suitable nut which can get fixed over there and have a similar opening to fix my handycam.
Drawback : There will be excessive vibrations and the bottom might get puntured as it will not have a perfect support.

2> Remove both the mirrors, get some straight sturdy shining piece of metal which gets fixed at the mirror holes. Then just at the middle make a hole so that the handycam can get fixed over there.
Drawback : Vibrations (though will be reduced) but even if I am using some rubber to dampen the effect, still it will be there.
Advantage : I can have a clear center line video from the headlight's perspective. It will give depth to the video rather than shooting from one side only.

3>Had seen one video on UTube where someone punches a hole through the helmate top, gets the screw through it, secures the base and then mounts the devise on top.
Drawback : The very idea gives me creeps; what if I fall down and the screw gets inside my skull. No, never with this!

4>Morning dream. Why not attach the handycam on top of the helmate with those broad cellotapes that are used while packing stuff. Yes, sounds good to me.

So I was awoke by 7 on an weekend trying to think from the practical perspective. Observed the helmate and the handycam. The base of the Handycam is flat but the surface of the helmate is round. Outcame another bright idea :-

What if I fix those yellow colored double sided stickpads. It will attach firmly to the helmate surface, also attaching my handycam on the other side. Moreover I will have the cellotapes for a firm grip too. I was so close to my DIY but then
Drawback : How will I open my visor? If I open it too much then it is going to hit the base of the handycam and i will have nice video if the sky. If I open it partially, then it is too risky to drive with distorted vision. Cannot keep it completely closed if I am stuck in traffic.

So all my ideas and thoughts went Kaput. They say "Idle Mind is Devil's Paradise" only the deivl did not succeed this time.

Friends, I know probably you all will laugh out after reading this and I would really love that too. But also please suggest options :-

How to capture Video from a moving motorcyle? [DIY vs Products(with price)]
Majumdarda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2013, 13:32   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
@gearbox : Your video - WD40 = an excellent video
Reason ?
Go through Essyouwee's or Randhawa's thread and you will find out that our Bullet chains have rubber O rings in them and WD40 will gradually destroy them. So use our good old Kerosene and a tooth brush to clean the chain. Keep the DIY videos coming. Way to go buddy !
regards adrian
Hi Adrian,

Thank you for the feedback and glad you liked the video

WD40 and Kerosene have the same effect on the rubber O rings the chain has. I went through this research that someone did in the article below and you can see the outcome is pretty similar, Both kerosene and WD40 are the safest and these did the least damage to the rubber O rings.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345397

I personally would like to use kerosene too, however I want to use the method where i can rip off the chain and clean it while it is dipped in kerosene, that way the results that come out are great. I have done that with my bicycle and Pulsar chains and have never replaced the bicycle or the pulsar chain to date.

Last edited by gearbox : 16th November 2013 at 13:39.
gearbox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2013, 13:58   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Idle Mind is Devil's Paradise.

How to capture Video from a moving motorcyle? [DIY vs Products(with price)]
Hi Friend, I recently bought the MD80 mini dvr from rediff shopping and from my experience, it is worth the money. Actually it is the poor man's helmet cam !

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-images-1.jpg
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-dscf3076.jpg
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-imag0522.jpg
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-imag0529.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
Hi Adrian,

Thank you for the feedback and glad you liked the video

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345397

I personally would like to use kerosene too, however I want to use the method where i can rip off the chain and clean it while it is dipped in kerosene, that way the results that come out are great. I have done that with my bicycle and Pulsar chains and have never replaced the bicycle or the pulsar chain to date.
Hi gearbox, thanks for the eyeopener. Will repeat the experiment myself and see the outcome.
regards adrian

Last edited by adrian : 16th November 2013 at 14:07.
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2013, 14:13   #124
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Friend, I recently bought the MD80 mini dvr from rediff shopping and from my experience, it is worth the money. Actually it is the poor man's helmet cam !
Thank you Adrian for your fast response. This is exactly what I was looking for. If a decent video image can be captured, then why to risk my Sony?

Can you please post the exact link from the Rediff shopping.

Definitely you have taken this on some rides and have captured some videos. Please can you share one such video. Let me have a look please.

Best regards,
Old 16th November 2013, 14:21   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you Adrian for your fast response. This is exactly what I was looking for. If a decent video image can be captured, then why to risk my Sony?

Can you please post the exact link from the Rediff shopping.

Definitely you have taken this on some rides and have captured some videos. Please can you share one such video. Let me have a look please.

Best regards,
Hi Majumdarda, here is the link to rediff
http://shopping.rediff.com/product/m...resol/10670364
I have taken videos from my car but they are too bulky to be uploaded here. The videos I shot from the Bullet were very shaky as I had pinned the cam onto my riding jacket as I didn't want to stick it on the bike or helmet (tried the easy way and failed). Actually the video size for an hours run comes to 1GB. Search the internet and you can see several videos shot by the mini dvr. The downside is that this has no screen and it takes experience to aim the cam the right way.
regards adrian

Last edited by adrian : 16th November 2013 at 14:26.
Old 16th November 2013, 16:06   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Friend, I recently bought the MD80 mini dvr from rediff shopping and from my experience, it is worth the money. Actually it is the poor man's helmet cam !...
Hello Adrian,

I studied the user reviews and other updates available on the UTube and product seems to be good, from the price point of view.

Just placed the order with the Rediff and called up the customer care team as well, just to make sure the same gets delivered within the 22nd November.

Now keeping my fingers crossed and waiting eagerly to lay my hands on it.

Thank you again for sharing this information

Best regards,
Old 16th November 2013, 16:16   #127
BHPian

Went to the dealership today, they said my tank is galvanized. I am HAPPY He showed me about 5 other bullets, Electra, Classic etc that had the tank insides coated brown. So I am kind of satisfied. However, i still sent out an email to RE asking for confirmation whether the tank is galvanized or not.

The guy there said he will replace the exhaust collar at first service, which had a little crack. well seemed to have a crack. so that is good news too.

I told him there was little or no play in the clutch cable and he adjusted it, but he screwed it up, even now there isnt any play at all and i hear the chunk when i shift gears (up or down doesn't matter it just chunks).

So have to adjust the clutch now, will do a little video while i adjust it and will post it up here.
Old 16th November 2013, 18:31   #128
BHPian

So here it is, hope this helps!!!!!!!!

gearbox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2013, 19:39   #129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just saw the video on removing the rear fender, Yes it can be done, however with a single seat setup in Electra, the seat needs to be removed before it.
Quote:
...this helps...
I had a look after removing the back seat again, but still it does not look that simple as depicted in the video. I think for the Standards and the Electras, there are some extra bit of nuts and bolts to be removed as well.

Currently I do not have much of a kit, just the normal ones that came with the tool kit. I am looking for a good tool kit that will take care of the various nuts and bolts on a RE and plan to get a set when I vist my hometown. In the mean time, if by any chance, you can frame up a video as to how to remove the rear fendor.

This helps if one has to remove the rear wheel after having a punture. Else the usual process of tilting to one side, is very risky on a RE considering the weight factor and if he is travelling alone.

The cluth adjustment video definitely helps a lot and I had learnt it the harder way by practising on my Pulsar. Same way as I learnt adjusting the rear brakes. But yes, it definitley helps a lot indeed.
Old 18th November 2013, 10:07   #130
BHPian

Quote:
I had a look after removing the back seat again, but still it does not look that simple as depicted in the video. I think for the Standards and the Electras, there are some extra bit of nuts and bolts to be removed as well.

Currently I do not have much of a kit, just the normal ones that came with the tool kit. I am looking for a good tool kit that will take care of the various nuts and bolts on a RE and plan to get a set when I vist my hometown. In the mean time, if by any chance, you can frame up a video as to how to remove the rear fendor.

This helps if one has to remove the rear wheel after having a punture. Else the usual process of tilting to one side, is very risky on a RE considering the weight factor and if he is travelling alone.
To remove the quick detachment rear wheel without tilting the Bullet, all you have to do is to place wooden blocks under the center stand which will increase the clearance from the ground making it easy for you to remove the wheel.

Please don't try to remove the fender. You will have to remove the seat, open up the number plate / brake light assembly to disconnect the wiring and you will also have to remove the bolts from the saree guard and mudguard stay. Altogether will eat up your time.
regards adrian
Old 18th November 2013, 10:22   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...place wooden blocks under the center stand which will increase the clearance from the ground making it easy for you to remove the wheel...
Now why didn't I thought about this simple solution earlier.
Thank you very much Adrian, it definitely helps a lot.
Old 18th November 2013, 10:33   #132
BHPian

Hi Friend, neither had I thought about it until one day I saw a road side Tyre mechanic do this while removing the wheels from a Bullet. All the RE documents advises to tilt the bullet to remove the rear wheel and here this guy is doing it all alone and so easily. That is the power of practical knowledge and that should be our destiny While using wooden blocks take adequate precautions like a wheel block in the front to prevent the machine from rolling off the stands.
And regarding the mini DVR, it comes without a memory card. The reviews says it takes a maximum 16 GB MicroSD card. But I played it safe and installed an 8 GB Micro SDHC card with good effects. And yes, this is to emphasis that it supports an SDHC card. One more thing start learning chinglish (Chinese English). The operation manual is in that language and God help you that you will laugh and cry at the same time.
regards adrian

Last edited by adrian : 18th November 2013 at 10:38.
Old 19th November 2013, 09:37   #133
Senior - BHPian

One small ignorant question I have and would like to ask over the forum for clearing my doubts.

Will the Royal Enfield start, if I remove my batteries?

Mine is a 2013 carburetor version, standard 500.
Old 19th November 2013, 10:01   #134
BHPian

Quote:
One small ignorant question I have and would like to ask over the forum for clearing my doubts.

The answer is no. Your bullet being equipped with the TCI needs power from the battery to fire the spark plugs.
regards adrian
Old 19th November 2013, 12:58   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

That feature was available on CDI ignition models sold between 2000 and 2004 which included the Electra,A350 and TBird .
A big plus point according to me was this ignition . But TCI was the next step and all the bikes were converted to that.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks