Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2014, 21:06   #211
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I realize that but what is different about the geometry of a cosmetic fin? maybe you dont need to worry about thermal mass/sizing or air flow path, but it still has a natural frequency and will resonate.
A functional cooling fin will need large surface area => lots of closely stacked thin fins. This is costly. (Ask any foundryman.)
The cosmetic fin will (should!) just have to look good. So it will be thicker, esp at the root. Its resonant freq will be much higher, and amplitude much less.

Quote:
BTW all the so called cosmetic fins also offer some some amount of cooling effect. If you didn't plan for it then you will end up overcooling
For fins starting from the outside of the water jacket? Would you have a figure for it?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 12th March 2014, 12:19   #212
BHPian

Have been following your thread regularly Majumdarda. I think it is the only one on Bullet 500 available on TBHP. i am keen on buying this model. Unfortunately the dealership did not have a bullet 500 for test ride. So I test rode , Desert Storm. Oh boy, what insane acceleration! The guy at dealership had warned me that if I test ride a 500 cc model I would never buy a 350 cc. your thread has been really informative on bullet 500. How different is it from 500 cc EFI models? I would personally prefer a carb since i live in Himachal and regularly go for rides to places where there is very little habitation. but i am also blown over by the 500 cc EFI pick up.
vibhavraghav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2014, 17:18   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibhavraghav View Post
Have been following your thread regularly Majumdarda. I think it is the only one on Bullet 500 available on TBHP. i am keen on buying this model. Unfortunately the dealership did not have a bullet 500 for test ride. So I test rode , Desert Storm. Oh boy, what insane acceleration! The guy at dealership had warned me that if I test ride a 500 cc model I would never buy a 350 cc. your thread has been really informative on bullet 500. How different is it from 500 cc EFI models? I would personally prefer a carb since i live in Himachal and regularly go for rides to places where there is very little habitation. but i am also blown over by the 500 cc EFI pick up.
Thank you vibhavraghav. There is another Team BHP member who has just got his B500. If you compare the accelerations between the DS and the B500, then there is gap. The DS is much quicker. I have not ridden any other's Bullets so will not be able to tell you the differences from ride and feel perspective. But from what I have seen when riding with my rider buddies, the Classic500 and the DS are much faster. Though there will not be a huge gap, but the quick acceleration (because of the TPS I think) will keep the EFIs ahead of the B500s.

Gurus, I recently went to the Service Center to get the throttle cable. As per the spare parts manual, the part number is 570896/B. Dealership has brought 570896/A and are quite confident of its usage.

What do you think? Though I have already highlighted the concern to the RE, but not sure how soon I can expect an update from them.

Below are the images, sorry for the quality

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-capture.jpg

Best regards,
Majumdarda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2014, 03:18   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

As I've mentioned in another post, changing the suffix letter in a part number reflects a revision to the design.

This is sometimes an improvement of the design but the degree of improvement may be very small. In fact, the revision could have been made just to enhance production to reduce the manufacturing costs and offer no real improvement for the end user at all.

The older design with the previous revision letter(s) are still usable parts and should function quite well.

Had the older design actually been faulty and the source of any real problem, the company would have changed the entire part number for the new design, rather than just changing the suffix number.

That is the only way they can be assured the older, defective design is no longer being assembled into new production units and only the improved parts are used.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2014, 03:19   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
A functional cooling fin will need large surface area => lots of closely stacked thin fins. This is costly. (Ask any foundryman.)
The cosmetic fin will (should!) just have to look good. So it will be thicker, esp at the root. Its resonant freq will be much higher, and amplitude much less.
I think cosmetic value comes more from chrome plating and polishing the fin. I have not noticed them to be thicker but I plead ignorance there. Thicker would mean more thermal mass for cooling too and natural frequency, K would also go up but not go away. So it would still ring at some point if not managed/tuned

Quote:
For fins starting from the outside of the water jacket? Would you have a figure for it?
Sure, the fin cools the jacket outer that cools the glycol which cools the engine.
As far as effectiveness, it depends on fin area and air flow. But unfortunately I see most LC engine cosmetic fins are receiving hot air exhausted by radiators
Old 13th March 2014, 20:53   #216
Senior - BHPian

^^^
With stiffness, resonant frequency goes up. Hopefully beyond human hearing.

In the absence of hard data all we have are opinions. IMO, those cosmetic fins will do practically zilch for cooling.

Must trundle over to the HD showroom for a look see.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 17th March 2014, 21:14   #217
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Lot of action on this thread. Hence posting a query on behalf of my friend.

My friend has booked a RE Bullet 500 (Carb) in Bangalore on 01st March. He has been given a waiting period of 4 to 6 months. He has called each and every dealer in Bangalore and has been given the same waiting period by all.

Is this long waiting period applicable only for Bangalore-Karnataka or is it applicable through out India? He has done some reading and found that the waiting period claimed by people in few other states is around 2 to 3 months.

I know it is a little too early but he is not able to bear this waiting period. How long did you guys have to wait after the booking? Hope to get lots of replies.

Thanks,
Torque
Old 22nd March 2014, 21:54   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I just saw the rubber blocks placed in the HD bikes that are liquid cooled.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Must trundle over to the HD showroom for a look see.
Did trundle over last week. Didn't see any on the Calcutta bike.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 23rd March 2014, 23:58   #219
BHPian

Hi bhpians,
Today afternoon I went to kings auto riders pune to enquire about the classic 350. I was told waiting is 4 months. While stepping out of the showroom I just happened to look at the green standard 500. Carb. Just wanted to check on availability . To my surprise it was available ex-stock. Went home got my cheque book. Paid 1.61lac delivery on Gudi Padwa. So here comes another 500 on the t-bhp.
I have followed this thread hope the decision is right. Waiting to saddle up ASAP.
Cheers kd
krdeshmukh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th March 2014, 03:03   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

Congratulations on your new motorcycle.

Although you initially wanted a 350, I believe you will find the increase in engine torque worth the decrease in km/ltr.

You may not use the power increase often but when you want it, it will be there.
Old 24th March 2014, 08:22   #221
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdeshmukh View Post
Paid 1.61lac delivery on Gudi Padwa.
Congratulations and best wishes, krdeshmukh.

Old 24th March 2014, 09:36   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibhavraghav View Post
With the EFI the throttle response would be much more crisp than the carbed version.Since you have mentioned you live in Himachal,an EFI would be ideal for high altitude riding since you will not experience much power drop as compared to the carbed version,of course you can tune the carb,whereas in the EFi you don't need to do anything,it all takes care on its own.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 24th March 2014 at 09:38.
Old 24th March 2014, 09:58   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi bhpians,
Today afternoon I went to kings auto riders pune to enquire about the classic 350. I was told waiting is 4 months. While stepping out of the showroom I just happened to look at the green standard 500. Carb. Just wanted to check on availability . To my surprise it was available ex-stock. Went home got my cheque book. Paid 1.61lac delivery on Gudi Padwa. So here comes another 500 on the t-bhp.
I have followed this thread hope the decision is right. Waiting to saddle up ASAP.
Cheers kd
Congratulations .
Please do share some snaps of your B500 and keep us updated with your initial ownership experience.
Ride safe and happy thumping.
Best regards,
Old 24th March 2014, 22:14   #224
BHPian

Hi mujumdarda,
How many KMS i need to be doing a sedate riding. I am planning to take the bike straing to mumbai from pune in 1st week. if i need to do that, what is the precaution i need to take.
Old 25th March 2014, 00:11   #225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi mujumdarda,
How many KMS i need to be doing a sedate riding. I am planning to take the bike straing to mumbai from pune in 1st week. if i need to do that, what is the precaution i need to take.
Hi Krdeshmukh,

It is always advised to complete the first two free servicing before you start opening the throttle. Offcourse you can take your bike to Mumbai in the first week , just remember the following:-

> Take regular breaks, give engine the time to cool down.
> Do not cross the 50 KMPH speed.
> Do vary your speed within this, that is do not keep the throttle jammed into 50 for long, but vary the speeds, decreasing it occasionally.

One of our Tbhp friends, Jimit, rode from Mumbai to Pune within the first week AND that too on a rainy tarmac. So I believe there is nothing to worry about.

Wishing you a very safe and sedate riding ahead.

Best regards,

P.s my handle is Majumdarda

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks