Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2013, 12:48   #151
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"

[quote=Majumdarda;3304224]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_u View Post

Hi Jimmy_u,

Please check the post 73, Those are the images that I have. Do you need any other images. Please let me know.

Best regards,
Hi Majumdarda,

looked at those pics already, looking for the pics with the bag on the Amun-Ra tank and its review.

Cheers,
Jimmy
Old 16th December 2013, 10:16   #152
Senior - BHPian

[quote=Jimmy_u;3308950]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post

Hi Majumdarda,

looked at those pics already, looking for the pics with the bag on the Amun-Ra tank and its review.

Cheers,
Jimmy
Hi Jimmy,

Just came back after a long leave and have enjoyed the fullest. Though could not take Amun-Ra over to Bengal, but yes, I sincerely wish I could. Everyone with whom I interacted liked Amun-Ra and definitely had some bit of advise for a safe ride; the greatest compliment was from my mother in law. Her words, "Amake kobe dekhabe?" Meaning : "When will you show me?" Background being she has ridden, Jawas and Bullets in the past and therefore loves these machines. I sincerely look forward for some rides now.

Though I have ridden Amun-Ra with the tank bag, but unfortunately I did not click any pictures at that time. One thing that I have observed is that you have to use some soft towel between the bag and the tank, in order to prevent scratches. Also the grip is not compromised at all. Over all I am satisfied with regards to the usability and driveability perspective. The bag seats firmly in position and will not bulge even for hard brakes. As you ride a TBTS, I think Cramster is also being used by Ravi sir, who can help you with some images as well. (just check his tour updates and you will see Cramster in all its glory ).

Best regards,
Majumdarda is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 10:37   #153
BHPian

[quote=Majumdarda;3320551]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_u View Post

Hi Jimmy,

One thing that I have observed is that you have to use some soft towel between the bag and the tank, in order to prevent scratches. Also the grip is not compromised at all. ,
Hello,

Which part of Bengal are your from? you can put a PPF ( paint protector flim) from 3M to save the tank. or use a "gamcha" shobuj ronger with holud checks ? i find the towels to be a little to thick to carry around.

Regards
RoS
Old 16th December 2013, 10:50   #154
Senior - BHPian

[quote=rulerofsun;3320565]
Quote:

Hello,

Which part of Bengal are your from? you can put a PPF ( paint protector flim) from 3M to save the tank. or use a "gamcha" shobuj ronger with holud checks ? i find the towels to be a little to thick to carry around.

Regards
RoS
Hi,

Surprise Surprise .
I have done my schooling from Asansol and my sosur bari is over there as well. We stay over at Kharagpur, at a little place called Hijli.

Gamcha is definitely a good option, but unfortunately Pune te norom gamcha paoa jay na (not available in Pune). My favorite is the laal sada dorakata (red and white cheques) from Kharagpur or the Bhagalur ones (multi colored extra long ones).

From which part of Bengal are you? Someplace close?

Best regards,
Old 16th December 2013, 11:08   #155
BHPian

[quote=Majumdarda;3320582]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rulerofsun View Post

From which part of Bengal are you? Someplace close?

Best regards,
Bohrompore (Murshidabad District) . Though settled in Mumbai for the last 30 years.

Next time I lay my hands on a norom gamcha will pick a couple for you.

Regards
RoS
rulerofsun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2013, 13:34   #156
BHPian

I am from Andhra, however, was born and brought up in Chakradharpur, Bihar, now Jharkhand, have many friends who are bengali. So learnt a bit from them. Love it when I come across anyone from that region (East/South East). The place I lived in is a very small town, there were no motorcycle dealerships too, even till late 2008 there were none, it is now that the place saw some dealers, like honda etc.
Coming to the Gamcha discussion - I myself use a gamcha on the tank to help not expose the tank with direct sunlight, its mostly covered when its at home or at office (never been to any other place yet on the bull) but when i do, i shall ensure to get a cover for it.
Majumdar Da, Where did you get the cover from? Cost?
Old 20th December 2013, 22:42   #157
Senior - BHPian

Two updates from this night.

Petrol Filling. Amun-Ra took 12.37 liters in his petrol tank. so let me calculate the mileage this time. In earlier times I have got approx 35kmpl avg.

Registration Card. Just received the card after coming home and as expected there are two things wrong
  1. Name of Owner is spelt incorrect.
  2. Model has been entered as Classic 500, whereas it should be Standard 500

Please advise what is the procedure to have the details corrected.

P.S. : Engine and Chassis details are correct though
Old 21st December 2013, 17:40   #158
Senior - BHPian

This morning I had gone to the dealer and had a word with them with regards to the wrong details updated on the Certificate of Registration card.

I was informed that RTO charges Rupees 350 for a fresh card, even though the mistake is not mine. So the alternate solution offered was, dealer is going to arrange for the correct details to be printed on a peice of paper, duly signed and stamped by the RTO. I would be required to keep both the card and the peice of paper at one place and preserve them.

Though this is not too difficult a proposition, but somehow things do not seem to be clear (or rather fishy). Why will the RTO charge me, if the mistake has not been done by my end? The details that are entered on the card are wrong, why will I pay to correct the wrong details? Moreover what assurance is there that the correct information that is being handed over to me through the paper sheet, is also corrected at the back end, in the records. And lastly, just a stamp and a signature on a sheet of paper: I am quite doubtful of its authenticity and genuineity.

Therefore I have logged a case with the Grievance Redressal Mechanism in Government and waiting for their response.

Link for the GRM is as follows :-

http://pgportal.gov.in/Default.aspx

Regards,
Old 22nd December 2013, 19:23   #159
Senior - BHPian

My first group ride on Amun-Ra along with some Off - Roading Simply love it.

It so happened that yesterday after my night shift, before I was going for the bed, I thought of checking the Facebook. And voila, there is a trip planned for the 22nd, by the SiddhAutomobiles, Kothrud. It was around 12:30 in the morning, and time was critical. Thought of calling and registering, but better sense prevailed and send an SMS to Mayur from SiddhAutomobiles.

Woke up at 5 in the morning, completed activities and called up him at 7, inquiring about the trip. Yes, the trip is in place and if I wish to be a part of this ride, then I must make myself available at the dealership, before 8am. Now, its quite a distance from Kasarwadi to Kothrud, but as it was early morning on a lazy Sunday, so packed my Cramster and off I went to the dealer. Well I was the first to be there actually, at about 7:40 AM approx, and there was none around. The shop was just being opened and I was the very first one over there (talk about sense of time amongst us )

Anyways, we started around 9:15 and reached Cafe paradise, with intermittent stops. This was my first group ride with Amun-Ra and some off-roading as well. Returned back to home at around 6:30 PM and below are the pictures.

But before that, I should definitely thank SiddhAuto for arranging this trip and all my ride buddies,

Rajesh sir(Electra, waiting for Standard 500), Rohit Tawade (Standard 500), Tanay(TBTS350), Rohit (Electra), Gaurav (Classic 350), Mayur (TBTS350) and off course the trips lifeline, Mama (with his CD100, but one should have a look the way it gives a chase to the Bullets) and Offcourse me (Standard 500)

Enjoy the pictures now :-

At Cafe Paradise parking
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_6981__.jpg

The Spokes
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_6992__.jpg

Rajesh sir, Some thoughts cooking ?
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_6994__.jpg

After some real off-roading,through some steep climb, laden with stones and dry grass, perfect recipe for getting off the motorcycle and taste the earth
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_7044__.jpg

Basking in the Sun
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_7049__.jpg

The Gang
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_7051__.jpg

Yours Truly, (Sun is Shining)
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_7053__.jpg

The Bullets are thirsty
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_7059__.jpg

Leading the Compadres
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_7061__.jpg

Bullets bhi pita hai
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_7067__.jpg

Best regards,
Majumdarda is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2013, 09:40   #160
Senior - BHPian

Adding the Route we took :-

Name:  Route.PNG
Views: 2596
Size:  221.8 KB
Old 25th December 2013, 10:13   #161
Senior - BHPian

Hello friends,

Let me wish all of you a Merry Christmas and a Happy new year, 2014.

By the way, I intend to go for a RE ride (though not limited to REs only, but sedate riding) to the Kashid Beach, with night stay, as close to the beach as possible (yes, you have guessed it right, no bookings are possible as the rates are too high, but should that play a role in the fun, nah...) along with my fellow BHPians.

Dates :-

Friday (27th December) : Journey towards Kashid beach from Pune and Night stay over there.

Saturday (28th December) : Return back to Pune by 3PM.

Starting time : 7AM (the sooner, the better). There is no hurry to catch a train, so lets enjoy the ride along with the scenic beauty across the roads and Ghat Section.

Proposed Route : Through the Old Mumbai Highway -> Khopoli -> Kashid Beach and return via the same route (please suggest alternate options)

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-2.jpg
Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-1.jpg

Dear Friends, please advise if you are free on the above dates to make this trip a reality. Let me have your thoughts and opinions please.

@Mods : Please do not move this thread at this moment. If this materializes (which I am sure it will) then we can have this shifted to the travelogues section.

Best regards,
Old 26th December 2013, 20:38   #162
Senior - BHPian

This afternoon, I planned of cleaning the Air Filter. This was completed successfully.

Post this activity, I thought of getting rid of the Saree Guard. Visual inspection suggested that it can be removed, and that the said accessory will not pose any challenges to the structure, post removal.

After a near hour long battle with different sized spanners etc, the saree guard did come off, but then I was proved beyond doubt that my visual inspection was wrong. It so turned out that if I remove the saree guard from the left side, the support of the rear mud guard goes off too. So either I would be required to have similar rod like structure as present on the right side or reassemble back the saree guard back to the body. As I did not have the Rod like support, (not sure what it is called), so then the Herculean task of Reconnecting started.

No matter from which ever side I tried to get it connected and the bolts in place, someway or other, something went wrong, Either the assembly was not in place at all the connecting joints, or the Plastic cover that is there below the mudguard was not fitting properly or the cable that connects the rear lights could not be connected and so forth.

Guys you will not believe, I was stuck in this position for nearly 2 hours approximately, after which one of my neighbors helped me (holding and then connecting the screws). I was even thinking of contacting my dealer for help.

Anyways, lesson learnt :- Do not play games with RE body (screw, nuts, bolt etc). The thing is too heavy to hold steady in one hand, forget getting it connected.

Did anyone of you faced similar situations in past?
Old 28th December 2013, 21:48   #163
Senior - BHPian

The supposedly forced fitting of the Guards had not worked and with pillion, the rear tire was getting rubbed. So went to the Service center after my night shift for getting this rectified. (In fact I was there right at the gates at 9 am while the actual servicing of my motorcycle started at 11:11)

As there were around 500 kms left for the second servicing, inquired if the same can be done now. Got my second servicing completed and also fitted the RE approved silencer (basically it is the Short Bottle Silencer from the Electra [592879/A] and was charged Rs 1905 for that alone )

The problem mentioned above was rectified smoothly and it showed how swift a process can be if one just knows the technique to perform the same. Lesson learnt : Never try to get rid of the saree guard again.

One problem that was there right from the Day 1, was with the ES. It works "efficiently" only once the choke is engaged. What do I mean by Efficiently? Well if Amun-Ra is standing for some time (not Cold start), then for the first time start, the ES will work, but if I stop and try to restart, it will not work and I have to apply choke. Same situation happens when I am stuck in traffic. If I apply ES, it will not work and then I will have to apply choke to make the ES effective. I had reported this to the SS at the time of the first servicing but I was assured that this will get resolved automatically once the engine runs. As this was not the case, I made it a point to have this updated on the job card as well.
Result :- Service center tried to resolve this problem by trying for more than 2 hours, but the problem is not rectified completely. Yes, off course it works now (say a success rate of 7 out of 10), but not entirely resolved. I have been asked to observe this for some days at a stretch and if problem still persists, then visit them with time in hand.

Please advise what could be the problem and how to have this rectified? Did any one face similar issue in the past? How was that rectified?

Now on the footsteps of Ravi sir, with the serious intentions of some long distance ride for the coming years and also to increase the man machine bond, today I went to Bhushi dam and some distance beyond it (with my brother's family). Total distance covered was 139 (both ways) with an average speed of 60 kmph. The route taken was the old Mumbai-Pune highway. Below are some of the pictures (Jimmy, here are the pictures of my tankbag atop Amun-ra,with approx 90% filled up)

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-dsc00700__.jpg

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_7068__.jpg

Not too sure who resides over there, but the view was captivating.

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-img_7123__.jpg

Best regards,
Majumdarda is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2013, 10:25   #164
J.Ravi

Quote:
Please advise what could be the problem and how to have this rectified?
I have never faced this problem in my Thunderbird 500. I always electric-start my bike without any issues. I think, the electric-starter is faulty and requires to be replaced under warranty in your bike. Bring it to the notice of Royal Enfield by shooting a mail to customerservice@royalenfield.com for prompt action.
  (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2013, 10:38   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I have never faced this problem in my Thunderbird 500. I always electric-start my bike without any issues. I think, the electric-starter is faulty and requires to be replaced under warranty in your bike. Bring it to the notice of Royal Enfield by shooting a mail to customerservice@royalenfield.com for prompt action.
I had the same query but was advised that if that be the case, then why it is starting at the first time and then why after applying the choke. Off-course shooting an e-mail is there in the cards, but then I do not want to spoil the relation. Let me observe for some more days and see if this rectifies or what he proposes. Else, the e-mail goes, not to CS team, but to someone special.

By the way, thank you for your motivation for the Rides, another one is coming up (though small it shall be, but it has made me more confident with the machine).

Thank you
Majumdarda is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks