Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2013, 20:25   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"

Thank you very much GearBox. I am not able to quote you at the moment.

With regards to lubricating the chain, the practise that I used on my Pulsar was pretty simple. Collect the old oil that gets rejected after the servicing. Store it for some days so that the particles sediment at the bottom. Then very carefully remove the oil from the top and make good and liberal use of the same for oiling purpose of the chain and springs (externally). Have not faced any problem till date with my Pulsar using that scheme? Can the same be done safely with Amun-Ra as well? Or is there a different "proper" way to keep the chain lubricated. ( I am aware of the molten greese DIY, but it is not possible for me to manage the same). Please advise

With regards to emptying the tank, as the advise from RE is too confusing, I think a best neutral approach will be to ride the motorcycle, say for 40 kilometres after reserve and then park it (with above suggested ways) [Currently the mileage I am getting is approx 34]. That should take care of both the advises from RE. Moreover it will be just for two weeks. Hope Mr. Rust does not start flirting with Amun-Ra's "Tank".
Old 9th November 2013, 22:31   #92
BHPian

Would rather suggest to use SAE90 gear oil from any manufacturer like Castrol, Shell etc. Old oil is only meant to be disposed off. Gear oil is cheap and hassle free.
Motormania is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2013, 10:05   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearbox View Post
Majumdarda,

You may want to do the following for your trip away from your bikes.

6) Filling the tank fully with petrol helps avoid rusting (RE recommends removing all petrol from the tank, and also says fill petrol afresh before starting, then says low petrol level may cause rusting inside the tank) So have no idea which tip of theirs to choose, each contradicts the other.
These are some of the things I can think of.
Full Tank always, as it prevents rust. But the new RE tanks are galavanized if iam not mistaken. If galvanized it doesnt matter.

RoS
rulerofsun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2013, 10:10   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulerofsun View Post
Full Tank always, as it prevents rust. But the new RE tanks are galavanized if iam not mistaken. If galvanized it doesnt matter.

RoS
Dear RoS, A really Dumb and foolish question from my end,

How do I know if the tank is galvanized? If I upload a picture of the tank opening then can you throw some inputs?

Please advise

Best regards,
Majumdarda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2013, 10:23   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Dear RoS, A really Dumb and foolish question from my end,

How do I know if the tank is galvanized? If I upload a picture of the tank opening then can you throw some inputs?

Please advise

Best regards,
Check if there is someting like a silver paint inside the tank if yes its not galvanized but painted to prevent rust. Yours is a new new motorbike and hence it should be galvanized check with the service center and they should have details.

Check this thread:http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...iaries-12.html

Regards
RoS
Old 11th November 2013, 10:38   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Check if there is someting like a silver paint inside the tank if yes its not galvanized but painted to prevent rust. Yours is a new new motorbike and hence it should be galvanized check with the service center and they should have details.

Check this thread:http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...iaries-12.html

Regards
RoS
Thank you very much RoS for your prompt response.

Today when I head for the office, I will check it out and see if I can get any decent images from the mobile-camera. Approaching the service center is effective only if the technicians know details. With the varied interactions I have observed in the forum (regarding the quality of feedback received from the SC), I have my doubts. Nevertheless I will still approach them over my coming weekoffs. (which reminds me to collect some packing materials from them, to cover the tank, before I head home, and they have agreed happily to provide some).

Best regards,
Old 13th November 2013, 20:07   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...RoS
Hello RoS,

Below is the image of the inside of the petrol tank (sorry for the poor quality.)
Can you please make out if this is galvanised or not?

Royal Enfield Bullet 500 : "Amun-Ra"-wp_000231.jpg

Best regards,

Last edited by Majumdarda : 13th November 2013 at 20:10.
Old 13th November 2013, 21:58   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you very much GearBox. I am not able to quote you at the moment.

With regards to lubricating the chain, the practise that I used on my Pulsar was pretty simple. Collect the old oil that gets rejected after the servicing. Store it for some days so that the particles sediment at the bottom. Then very carefully remove the oil from the top and make good and liberal use of the same for oiling purpose of the chain and springs (externally). Have not faced any problem till date with my Pulsar using that scheme? Can the same be done safely with Amun-Ra as well? Or is there a different "proper" way to keep the chain lubricated. ( I am aware of the molten greese DIY, but it is not possible for me to manage the same). Please advise

With regards to emptying the tank, as the advise from RE is too confusing, I think a best neutral approach will be to ride the motorcycle, say for 40 kilometres after reserve and then park it (with above suggested ways) [Currently the mileage I am getting is approx 34]. That should take care of both the advises from RE. Moreover it will be just for two weeks. Hope Mr. Rust does not start flirting with Amun-Ra's "Tank".
I'd suggest you use fresh engine oil rather than filtering oil that was already used, Drive Chain is a very important part of your bullet and must be taken very seriously.

I have got mixed answers when i asked the question about the molten grease method, However I still feel it is a good method. However another easy way would be to run your bullet for about 2 kms so the chain heats up a little, then spray WD40 over the chain for the first time, let the chain soak in, then use an old toothbrush to rub against the chain to get rid of the dirt etc.

Wipe the chain with a clean cloth, now apply WD 40 for the 2nd time, this time a generous amount. Please heat up the chain again before you do this, by riding 2 kms or so or running the engine in 1st gear and letting the rear wheel rotate a few times. (PLEASE ENSURE YOU DO NOT SPRAY OR TOUCH THE WHEEL/CHAIN ETC WHILE DOING THIS) Then stop the engine, set the gear into Neutral and Spray WD40 generously (until it drips).

A hot/warm chain would help penetrate WD40 or grease (explained in the next step) into the "O" rings.

Let the chain sit like that for about 15 minutes, now use the brush again and wipe off any leftover dust etc off the chain. Wipe the chain clean with a clean cloth.

Run the engine again as mentioned above (BE CAREFUL NOT TO TOUCH ANY MOVING PARTS WHILE DOING THIS)

Once the chain is warm again, apple fresh grease (Please never use grease that was from something else) its not worth the money saved when compared to the problems that may arise.

Once the grease is properly applied on both sides of the chain and in between. You may want to slightly run over a cloth to remove any excessive grease that you see.

Once all that is done, its time to take it for a spin so the grease settles down properly, and if applied properly you should see grease around this area. This picture is from my bullet.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...s-dsc_0300.jpg

It is important to run the bullet after greasing (Only if the Hot Grease method was not used) to help penetrate the grease well into the O rings and so on.

Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!
Old 13th November 2013, 22:00   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Hello RoS,

Below is the image of the inside of the petrol tank (sorry for the poor quality.)
Can you please make out if this is galvanised or not?

Attachment 1165553

Best regards,
Prima facie, looks galvanised to me. I could be wrong though

Once there are some replies, I would post the pictures of my tank too, I too am curious to know if the tank is galvanised.
Old 13th November 2013, 23:02   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...spray WD40 over the chain ...
Thank you for your response and suggestion. Infact you have explained very beautifully the procedure to have a thorough chain clean. But I think I had read somewhere in this forum regarding the WD40 and its impact on the so called O rings (or whatever they call those tiny rings that are present in between the chain grips, to reduce frictional noise etc.) I think it is still not known if there is any impact on the O rings with the prolonged usage of WD40 on them.

The other day, I was checking the UTube and there was one video showing the usage of Motul product. Not too sure how effective is that on Indian Roads?

Below is the link :- (you may speed upto 1:01 to see the brand)

Also seems that there is something called as LiquidWrench (0:30)

{not sure how many brands of Chain Cleaner and Lube is present, and seems that every other brand is having the best option }

Quote:
Prima facie, looks galvanised to me. I could be wrong though

Once there are some replies, I would post the pictures of my tank too, I too am curious to know if the tank is galvanised.
Did not get, that why will you wait for others to respond before you post the picture of your Petrol tank.

Anyways, I am sure other forum members will definitely voice in their opinions at the earliest.

Best regards,
Old 14th November 2013, 02:59   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

There are more gigabits of debate about WD40 on the web than their are about politics but in my opinion WD40, while making a good product for cleaning a chain, makes a very poor lubricant at best.

One of the sprays that specifically say they are for lubricating is better.

Better yet, common motor oil or gear oil will provide lubrication that can withstand the high forces the links of a motorcycle chain are subjected to under normal operation.

Best of all are the lubricants made specifically for lubricating motorcycle chains.
The best of these are sprayed on as low viscosity fluids that rapidly dry leaving a thick oil or waxlike coating.
The thin nature of these when first applied allow them to penetrate to the inside of the rollers and link pins as well as the sideplates.

A Google search shows that some of the best of these like PJ1 are not available in India but there seems to be several other brands that should be available there.

Baking grease into the chain as mentioned above has long been a traditional way of lubricating motorcycle chains.
While effective, it is a rather messy, labor intensive process and on some motorcycles like the Royal Enfields, getting the chain back onto the motorcycles transmission output sprocket can be challenging to say the least. Even a liberal use of profanity doesn't help.

If you are one of the rare people who have a spare chain laying around, you can temporarily link it to your chains master link and pull it over the engines output sprocket before removing the real drive chain.
This will allow you to attach the grease baked chain to the master link and then use the spare chain to pull it back over the drive sprocket.

While baking the grease into the chain works well for the old non-sealed chains the O-ring or X-ring chains seals will prevent the grease from penetrating to the roller pins. If the seals are in good condition this isn't a big problem as the seals should be retaining the factory lube as intended. Baking does lubricate the side links though so the process isn't a total waste of time.
Anyone considering baking a O-ring/X-ring chain must try to keep the temperature of the heated grease below 82 degrees C (180 degrees F) because many of the materials these seals are made from cannot withstand temperatures above that maximum.
ArizonaJim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 06:25   #102
BHPian

Good morning. Well you have already reciived a reply on the tank and I also agree that you have the new galvanised tank. The motil products are great. Take a look at the CBR threads, Yamaha or super bike section and they are filled with bucket loads of appreciation for motul.

Regards RoS
Old 14th November 2013, 09:18   #103
BHPian

This is a really nice article about use and the effects on using various kinds of liquids for cleaning the chain - This gave me the confidence to use WD40 or Kerosene, since these had the least amount of effect on the O rings.

Please do read through the entire article

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=345397
gearbox is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2013, 09:22   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
There are more gigabits of debate about WD40 on the web than their are about politics but in my opinion WD40, while making a good product for cleaning a chain, makes a very poor lubricant at best..
Absolutely correct! WD40 is more of a cleaner than a lubrication system. The WD AFAIK stands for water displacement.

Yamalube is a good product available in India and I think Motul makes it. Get any of your friends who own a Yamaha to get the cleaner and lubricant from the Yamaha SC. ( Image from Yamaha Lube Site:http://www.yamaha-motor.com/yamalube...#productscroll)
RoS
Attached Images

Old 14th November 2013, 09:22   #105
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for your response and suggestion. Infact you have explained very beautifully the procedure to have a thorough chain clean. But I think I had read somewhere in this forum regarding the WD40 and its impact on the so called O rings (or whatever they call those tiny rings that are present in between the chain grips, to reduce frictional noise etc.) I think it is still not known if there is any impact on the O rings with the prolonged usage of WD40 on them.

The other day, I was checking the UTube and there was one video showing the usage of Motul product. Not too sure how effective is that on Indian Roads?

Below is the link :- (you may speed upto 1:01 to see the brand)
http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=J8SvEg-bAsU

Also seems that there is something called as LiquidWrench (0:30)
http://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=eqxJW79npJA

{not sure how many brands of Chain Cleaner and Lube is present, and seems that every other brand is having the best option }

Did not get, that why will you wait for others to respond before you post the picture of your Petrol tank.

Anyways, I am sure other forum members will definitely voice in their opinions at the earliest.

Best regards,
Thank You for the videos MajumdarDa. I shall go through them.
I had read an article (which I have shared here in my latest post) that was to test the O rings with various liquids generally used for lubing a chain. Please do check that out and your opinion about WD40 might change, you may try using Kerosene too if you like.

I was just fooling around there, I am sure the tank on yours is Galvanised. I shall post the pic of my tank in a few minutes.
gearbox is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks