Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2014, 15:20   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
You are most welcome. Is the bike still under warranty? If yes, get it changed for peace of mind. If not, I will start with looking at the connector and solder points to see if there is anything loose.

I also have a minor issue with the console - My console clock do not keep time - as in, if I keep the bike unused for a week, the time will be off, but if I keep using the bike regularly, the time will hold. But since it is only the clock, I have not complained to ASC about the it.

--Anoop
Thanks! No, the bike is not in warranty. I'll check the console wiring and see if something is wrong. I don't see any other posts about this console issue elsewhere either. Are there any fuses for the console? Under the seat?

Hehe, usually when our desktops don't keep time, we replace the CMOS battery. Something like that in this case?
Old 18th November 2014, 15:33   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Hehe, usually when our desktops don't keep time, we replace the CMOS battery. Something like that in this case?
Exactly the same thing. You battery is dying/about to die. Or you need to ride more.
Old 18th November 2014, 17:13   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Exactly the same thing. You battery is dying/about to die. Or you need to ride more.
Pardon my ignorance, but if it is a weak battery, will the bike start up fine?

--Anoop
Old 21st November 2014, 20:55   #94
BHPian

Pic of my duke 200 - taken infront of temple during pooja.
The Duke of Direwolves - Lisbeth, my KTM Duke 200-img_20141118_090549.jpg

Thanks Anoop, Ebonho and others for helping me decide between 200 and 390.
pisthpeeps is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2014, 14:55   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pisthpeeps View Post
Congratz - wish you unlimited happy miles with him\her

--Anoop
Old 24th November 2014, 14:59   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on your little devil buddy! She looks mean.

And that is a beautiful locale for a temple! Is it within the city?

Quote:
Most welcome. Hope you enjoy your ownership.
Old 24th November 2014, 18:09   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Congratz - wish you unlimited happy miles with him\her --Anoop
Thanks !!

Quote:
Congrats on your little devil buddy! She looks mean. And that is a beautiful locale for a temple! Is it within the city?
Most welcome. Hope you enjoy your ownership.
Thanks. Its just outside city and the trees which you see are part of an 175 acre reserve forest. So technically the temple is in an restricted Zone.

Following the footsteps of Anoop replaced the mirrors with Apache ones(Rs 360 for a pair) and it was a direct fit. The bike definitely is still a head turner even 2 years after launch. Enjoying the confident lean in curves. Not sure if its good or bad, but the confidence level(acceleration,stopping) in riding bikes increases a lot after riding duke for few days and it reflects while riding my wego or splendor. Feels that i have been riding wego/splendor very slow before the Duke arrived. Needless to say, i understand each bike has its own limitations and will be careful.

Shifting gears around 5K rpm and max speed reached till now is around 80kmph and max rpm reached may be around 7K. There is some hissing noise from front while pushing the bike, may be due to discs.

Used to get false neutrals while shifting from 1 to 2 and vice versa in the initial few days. Now giving a little bit more pressure while changing from 1 to 2 or 2 to 1 so that it doesnt fall to neutral. Now, finding neutral is an issue in signals or while stopping. Need to get used. I miss my splendor which is all UP.

My duke clock works fine and no delays seen. U turns are bit tricky due to large turning radius and me being 5'6. After a ride, once i park the vehicle i hear some tick tick sound with 1 sec interval. Its like some fan running slowly and hitting something on its way.

Last edited by pisthpeeps : 24th November 2014 at 18:10.
Old 24th November 2014, 22:31   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks !!

Enjoying the confident lean in curves. Not sure if its good or bad, but the confidence level(acceleration,stopping) in riding bikes increases a lot after riding duke for few days and it reflects while riding my wego or splendor.

There is some hissing noise from front while pushing the bike, may be due to discs.

Used to get false neutrals while shifting from 1 to 2 and vice versa in the initial few days. Now giving a little bit more pressure while changing from 1 to 2 or 2 to 1 so that it doesnt fall to neutral. Now, finding neutral is an issue in signals or while stopping. Need to get used. I miss my splendor which is all UP.

My duke clock works fine and no delays seen. U turns are bit tricky due to large turning radius and me being 5'6. After a ride, once i park the vehicle i hear some tick tick sound with 1 sec interval. Its like some fan running slowly and hitting something on its way.
Wow so much I can relate to here(recent d390 owner ) .

My confidence level went up a notch while I was expecting struggle for the initial few hundred kilometers coming from an enfield . When I ride the enfield now , it feels somewhat alien be cautious though , one weird thing I experienced initially was a skewered perception of speed . The vibes from enfield used to remind me of danger zone speeds and suddenly the smooth duke in comparison had me entering corners a good 15/20kmph faster than I wanted to . This was only for the first couple of days .

I also used to hear prominent hissing sound from front and rear , a friend pinpointed it to the disc setup (or the axle , basically that area ) . I recall hearing about 600km into ownership again , have not paid attention recently .

Same 'problem' here shifting to neutral instead of 2nd . Weird thing though is this was not an issue at the beginning , maybe happened once in 3 days and that was down to me adjusting to a new bike . Now it happens 3/4 times a ride often resulting in massive rev sound(onlookers think I am showing off ), the frequency of occurrence seems to be increasing too , my first service is this week and I will convey this to SVC . Never shifted into false neutral from 2nd up though .

tick tick sound is normal ,it is from the exhaust system - specifically that black box/drum which houses the catalytic converter. Even if it is very prominent often after a hard ride , don't be concerned .

Last edited by basuroy : 24th November 2014 at 22:34.
Old 25th November 2014, 12:11   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks !!

Thanks. Its just outside city and the trees which you see are part of an 175 acre reserve forest. So technically the temple is in an restricted Zone.

Following the footsteps of Anoop replaced the mirrors with Apache ones(Rs 360 for a pair) and it was a direct fit.

a ride, once i park the vehicle i hear some tick tick sound with 1 sec interval. Its like some fan running slowly and hitting something on its way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by basuroy View Post
Wow so much I can relate to here(recent d390 owner ) .

My confidence level went up a notch while I was expecting struggle for the initial few hundred kilometers coming from an enfield . When I ride the enfield now , it feels somewhat alien

Even if it is very prominent often after a hard ride , don't be concerned .
I can relate to this very much - Duke let you push the envelope much farther than my previous rides (Unicorn and Bullets). In Unicorn and Bullet, I could feel when I was reaching 60 - 80 and always could adjust with out looking at the speedo - first few days, Duke really fooled me and I was carrying much more speed than I thought I was carrying. It did take few days to get fully adjusted to get that 'feel'. Initially, I used to do lot of guessing games to find out if I can predict the speed I am carrying.

Be careful when you ride Splendor and Wego - each bike requires a little different riding pattern, so don't get carried over

The hissing noise should go once the break pads gets bedded in - if it is still prominent after putting down few hundred kilometers, get it checked.

I haven't faced the false neutrals - may be I slot gears with some force (A trait from my bullet days which my Unicorn failed to eradicate ).

@basuroy: Coming from a bullet, I don't think your issue will be using less force. Does this happen while crawling in traffic, or when you are trying to pick up speed on an open stretch?

My clock is also fine if I use the bike every day - but if I dont use the bike for 4-5 days, the time slows down.

Apache mirrors are good - they offer much better visibility and do not spoils the looks of Duke - they can pass unnoticed since they look 'almost' stock.

PS: An interesting anecdote: When I used to ride Unicorn, I used to do comfortable 60 ~80 on certain stretches. When i switched my ride to the Desert Storm, the speeds went to 70~90, and an occasional 100. In Duke, I do 90~110 and restrict myself from crossing 110, without breaking a sweat. (Disclaimer: This is NOT inside city and NOT during my regular office commute. All triple digit speeds are done when there is NO traffic and with excellent visibility)

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 25th November 2014 at 12:13.
theexperthand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 12:25   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Few recent clicks of Lisbeth:
Attachment 1298374
Anoop, just to clarify, are those the Apache mirrors? Does it come with that rubber sleeve along the stem?
man_of_steel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 12:30   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Anoop, just to clarify, are those the Apache mirrors? Does it come with that rubber sleeve along the stem?
Ya they are Apache mirrors. I think he has slid the rubber cladding of the OE Duke ones over their stems , because the Apache ones do not have them.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 12:35   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think he has slid the rubber cladding of the OE Duke ones over their stems , because the Apache ones do not have them.
Thats exactly what I was wondering! Thanks Doc. This actually looks great on the Duke and practical too. Going for those right away!
Old 25th November 2014, 12:40   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Yes, they are.

Quoting from my own post:

Quote:
One of my major gripe with Duke is the almost non existent mirrors - I could not see anything other than my biceps in them. I replaced them with a pair of mirrors from TVS Apache. Cost - 260 INR. The mirror is not an exact fit - the thread patters are different, so I unscrewed the Duke's mirror from the stem and had to shave off a bit of Apaches mirror base to fix the flange of Duke's mirror stalk.
The mirror I got was not an exact fit and the rubber sleeve is of the Duke mirror - Apache mirror do not comes with a full rubber sleeve. I removed the duke mirror from the mirror stem and shaved off the mirror base of Apache and fixed Dukes mirror stem to the Apache's mirror base.

But it seems like pisthepeeps have got exact fitting Apache mirrors.

Quote:

Following the footsteps of Anoop replaced the mirrors with Apache ones(Rs 360 for a pair) and it was a direct fit.
--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 12:43   #104
Senior - BHPian

This is very confusing. Are there two types of Apache mirrors? 160 and 180?

Last edited by ebonho : 25th November 2014 at 12:48.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2014, 12:49   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, they are.
Quoting from my own post:
The mirror I got was not an exact fit and the rubber sleeve is of the Duke mirror - Apache mirror do not comes with a full rubber sleeve. I removed the duke mirror from the mirror stem and shaved off the mirror base of Apache and fixed Dukes mirror stem to the Apache's mirror base.

But it seems like pisthepeeps have got exact fitting Apache mirrors.
--Anoop
Thanks a lot Anoop. That helps. I wonder how pisthepeeps got a direct fit one.

@pisthepeeps - Can you confirm which exact model's mirror you bought? And you did'nt have to do any grinding or any other adjustments like Anoop did?

Last edited by man_of_steel : 25th November 2014 at 12:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks