Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2015, 15:23   #61
BHPian

Mahindra Mojo - First bike delivered in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post

I disagree that the db killers should be removed. To what point, if it already sounds good? I dislike the racket people create just to get noticed when it adds very little performance or functional benefit, and frankly causes a lot of irritation to anyone in the vicinity. It is also illegal to modify the bike to exceed the sound emission norms, which are in my opinion as important as the other pollution norms.

Some people would do anything to get noticed while riding on a new horse😜

Their take: the thumping and the revving gives you road presence!

Agree 100% that like all the pollution control norms sound pollution needs to be taken seriously.

DB Killers the way 2 go!

Last edited by TMRT : 25th October 2015 at 15:24.
Old 25th October 2015, 17:09   #62
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Mojo - First bike delivered in India

Congrats on the ride mate. I had a test drive yesterday after hearing so many rave reviews. The bike is built for a cruiser and it impressed me much. Loved the sound even without DB-Killers, but even with DB-Killers removed, it didn't cause as much ruckus as say ( a modified RE does ).
santhosh_kumard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 09:52   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
By the way can Aman provide me a recommendation too so that I can get tbe bile allocated earlier?

Aman can only recommend you the bike, but he may not be able to help you get the bike early.

You can talk to Kamlesh Rana who replaced me as the Mojo Manager at Mahindra and both the showrooms in Mumbai report him now.

I was with Mahindra and now have moved on to better prospects, but is still do miss the Mojo. And I like it in Red, awesome it looks. And you would have seen the bike for test ride at the Bhandup Showroom without the DB Killers. Had done a few long rides on it, and I must tell you, exhaust note is a beautiful music.

Well congratulations to you!
Old 26th October 2015, 11:02   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Many congratulations on the bike. I feel like the majority of your requirements match mine, and I think this is the bike that will be my upgrade, but not immediately. I currently own an early 2005 Pulsar 180 dtsi

I don't think it is a good idea shifting gears without using the clutch. I've only done that one super cold winter morning in Delhi (2ish in the morning) when I had forgotten my gloves and had to drive to Dwarka (then without any of the connecting flyovers). The gearbox may be built tougher than usual, but eventually it will experience some damage.

I disagree that the db killers should be removed. To what point, if it already sounds good? I dislike the racket people create just to get noticed when it adds very little performance or functional benefit, and frankly causes a lot of irritation to anyone in the vicinity. It is also illegal to modify the bike to exceed the sound emission norms, which are in my opinion as important as the other pollution norms.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomsome View Post
+1 to that. No more idiots causing unnecessary noise pollution please. Wish the sound emission norms were more strictly enforced in the cities.

The mojo is an excellent proposition and I believe Mahindra has a winner on their hands. Not a fan of the front though. Great bike nevertheless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRT View Post
Some people would do anything to get noticed while riding on a new horse��

Agree 100% that like all the pollution control norms sound pollution needs to be taken seriously.

DB Killers the way 2 go!
I do understand your concern, but have you heard the bike without the DB Killers?
If Yes, then you would agree that the its not even louder than any other Royal Enfield you would see on the road. Yes it does become louder than the stock, but it no where near to cause any noise pollution. Mahindra has taken care of that. The current exhaust has a opening of 23mm, and Mahindra has another one of 32mm DB Killer to be sold as an Accessory.

And if your answer is No, then I have nothing to say to you. Peace.

Just for the Info, the Mojo Manager's Bike in Pune has the 32mm DB Killer fitted, Pune guys can check it out. The Mojo Manager's Bike in Mumbai has the DB Killers completely removed.

Last edited by swapszone : 26th October 2015 at 11:05.
swapszone is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 11:47   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShashankM View Post
I asked CRM about a device which was connected on the exhaust bend just behind front mudgard , he said that it was O2 sensor. He mentioned that there are total 7 sensors used in Mojo. One of them is tilt sensor which shuts off the bike if the lean angle is greater than 17 degree.
Thanks for confirming the presence of O2 sensor ShanshankM mate. I had spotted it in one of the images on the web but wasn't sure as the picture exhaust bend pipe portion was dirty and not very clear. I am glad Mahindra has not skipped on this and other features like RE has on their EFi equipped motorcycles. I am sure the EFi unit on the Mojo has a closed loop mapping. The tilt sensor is a neat safety feature and I am also sure it must also be equipped with a fall sensor which shuts down the engine in case of a fall. Kudos to Mahindra for including these features.

I am waiting for the ABS version of Mojo.
Old 26th October 2015, 15:50   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapszone View Post
I do understand your concern, but have you heard the bike without the DB Killers?
If Yes, then you would agree that the its not even louder than any other Royal Enfield you would see on the road. Yes it does become louder than the stock, but it no where near to cause any noise pollution. Mahindra has taken care of that. The current exhaust has a opening of 23mm, and Mahindra has another one of 32mm DB Killer to be sold as an Accessory.

Just for the Info, the Mojo Manager's Bike in Pune has the 32mm DB Killer fitted, Pune guys can check it out. The Mojo Manager's Bike in Mumbai has the DB Killers completely removed.
+1 to that swapzone. I respect the general view about the racket created by exhaust modifications and i myself get highly irritated by those, however, i strongly urge people not to generalize. To be honest, i don't know how the bike sounds without DB killers in flesh, but, based on the video i saw/heard on Youtube, it is a very sweet burble which IMHO is not at all in the league of the troublesome enshaust mods.
Old 26th October 2015, 16:17   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Some pics of the red and white Mojo.
It looks very youthful. Mahindra racing colors.
IMHO, bike looks even better in the Mahindra Racing colours. But I still say the headlight console looks odd. I wonder if something can be done about that.
Old 26th October 2015, 22:03   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Hey mate, congrats on moving on to better prospects. Would you know when the abs version is due to be launched? Like an approximate time-line?

How I I wish this bike was a 45 house power plant though.
Old 26th October 2015, 22:54   #69
BHPian

Mahindra Mojo - First bike delivered in India

Quote:

That's a handy tip on 32mm accessory info. Thanks. Wasn't aware.

I am sure the noise is less than Royal Enfield's. Based on the reading it makes me believe noise level would be in the range of what KTM'. Or even quieter? Way to go MM.

Last edited by TMRT : 26th October 2015 at 22:55.
Old 27th October 2015, 12:11   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Hey mate, congrats on moving on to better prospects. Would you know when the abs version is due to be launched? Like an approximate time-line?

How I I wish this bike was a 45 house power plant though.
I'm not sure as to when the ABS version will launch, but the testing was already being done. And the opinions that have come out of the media rides and all other rides is that the current braking system is good enough. But ABS will be an added blessing. The brakes work very well with the Pirelli Diablo RossoII.
swapszone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 15:56   #71
BHPian

Rated 5 Stars for the great review Jay. I drive to office 30kms everyday which might go upto 50kms when I shift house. I ride a CB Unicorn 150 and the lack of power puts me off sometimes. So I am considering joining the MOJO club. I wanted to ask a similar questions as some of them have asked previously, how well does the bike fair in day-to-day city traffic which includes a mix of free roads and tight bumper-to-bumper traffic. Does it heat too much or too fast? How bearable is the heat generated from the MOJO?
By the way, congratulations on your new MOJO! Wish you many happy miles ahead.
Funny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 21:56   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambujlal View Post
Great review!

I have been riding a Thunderbird for past 8 years and done don't-know-how-many-rides. Its been a trustworthy companion, however with frequent maintenance trips to local mechanic. It has taught me lot of automobile engineering. In fact my four wheeler (a Tata) has also helped me learn lot of nuances. Not that I am complaining :-), However as time progresses, one tends to get busier in life and sometimes you want a vehicle which you would start and go without worrying about:
  • Oil leaks
  • Clutch wire snapping fear
  • Engine over heating
  • ...and many more

Plus I get a royal body massage from my bull's vibrations. Again not that I am complaining. It has never left me stranded mostly because of lot of preventive maintenance. The operating word is LOT.

Although I can see lot of grey hair peeking now and I approach the life-starts-at-40 age, was wondering whether Mojo can be a cruiser and also a city commute bike. The biker inside me refuses to die! No, I never cared much about fuel efficiency. As they say when you keep an elephant you don't care how much it eats. And no I have no plans to sell my Thunderbird, period. Rather have another supremely reliable bike in garage.

Also, was thinking can a saddle bag be put easily on the rear seat. With Thunderbird's flat rear seat and backrest this is a piece of cake. The ease of putting a saddle bag is so essential for long rides.

The disjointed post reflects the disjointed state of my mind
Honestly, the Thunderbird is a different bike. there is no comparision with the Mojo in looks, feel, ride quality, acceleration, top speed, handling, ergonomics, mechanicals, engine capability, etc.

The Thunderbird is a Classic( in the good sense) vibrator on wheels (in the not so good sense). After riding for 300 - 500 kms everything in your body will still be vibrating, hands will have that antsy feeling and you willl feel like uve got carpal tunnel syndrome. Its a nice bike though but its different. I almost bought it due to lack of options, but im very glad i didnt.
The Mojo on the otherhand is a more modern naked roadster with an upright riding stance that does not vibrate and allows you to grow old with time like a normal human would, without the vibrator effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk76 View Post
Congrats Jay..Drive safe !
Are you driving her to Pune as well in near future ?
Soon buddy. Pune and beyond. Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMRT View Post
Some people would do anything to get noticed while riding on a new horse��

DB Killers the way 2 go!
It sounds very good with the Db killers on too. On a long ride, it would get tiring without the db killers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny View Post
Rated 5 Stars for the great review Jay. I drive to office 30kms everyday which might go upto 50kms when I shift house. I ride a CB Unicorn 150 and the lack of power puts me off sometimes. So I am considering joining the MOJO club. I wanted to ask a similar questions as some of them have asked previously, how well does the bike fair in day-to-day city traffic which includes a mix of free roads and tight bumper-to-bumper traffic. Does it heat too much or too fast? How bearable is the heat generated from the MOJO?
By the way, congratulations on your new MOJO! Wish you many happy miles ahead.
I did nto experience any "too fast" heating or overheating. With a mix of free roads and b2b traffic the bike will perform w quite well. The heat is very bearable and is only felt near the ankles, whenever it does.
If that is your concern for not buying, then i would say, go ahead and buy it. You wont be disappointed nor fuming with heat while standing at that traffic light. Cheers.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 27th October 2015 at 21:57.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th October 2015, 22:33   #73
Senior - BHPian

Completed almost 500 kms now. The 5000 rpm running in barrier is quite an irritant. I have to downshift gears as soon as i slow down since im unable to explore the entire rev range on any gear. I did hit 6k rpm a few times but the engine feels tight and needs more time to open up.

Im happy to report approx 32 kpl. tankfull to tankfull method. This figure is with constant gearing due to city riding. Im very confident that with a light throttle and not having to shift gears and exploring the entire rev range, one can easily get 35 kpl. I dont think I qualify for that style of riding though and will be happy to see 30 kpl.

Everything works like a charm. The bike draws a lot of attention due to the exclusivity and the 2 silencers. I disappointed many kids wanting to race, since I would not respond to their throttle blips and hi revs at traffic signals.
All in all, the more i ride, the seating position encourages me to ride longer. This is something I havnt felt in a long time. The earlier long rides were sheer will power against poor ergonomics. These rides are just ergonomically tempting.

I managed to bottom out the rear suspension on a few ocassions on our world class Mumbai roads. Im not sure if i mentioned that the rear monoshock is positioned off center to the left. Not that i know what difference it makes

I wonder, given the amount of distance between the rear half of the seat and the tire, it gives an impression that there is huge suspension travel available. However, this is not true. I wonder what would happen if they lowered the pillion seat in line with the rider and contoured and bolstered it well. WOuldnt that make the pillion more comfortable. Ive seen some bikes, Yamahas pulsars etc with the pillion sitting as if on top of a derby horse, hanging on for dear life.

I need to figure how to adjust the headlights. The highbeam is too high, straight up on the highway signboards instead of illuminating the road farther ahead. I think this is a headlight sealed beam design issue.
On the forthcoming ABS version (whenever it does) Mahindra should provide projectors (atleast one).

One more observation - the stock mirrors are useless or rather dangerous. I cant see much in them. The view is too thin and leaves a very wide blind spot. I will have to upgrade to something bigger with a wider viewing range.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 27th October 2015 at 22:41.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 03:47   #74
BHPian

Congrats Jay on being a part of Mahindra's motorcycling history! Must admit that the bike looks quite mature and elegant now compared to what the very early spy shots had shown. This might actually do what the Inazuma promised but failed to deliver due to its pricing - a relaxed mile cruncher at a vfm price. I am surprised at your insights about it being not so good in commuter traffic though - what exactly are the issues with keeping it in 1st/2nd gears? Are the gears too short? Is the fueling jerky?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShashankM View Post
One of them is tilt sensor which shuts off the bike if the lean angle is greater than 17 degree.
That can't be right mate - most normal riding situations, even on multi-lane highways with sweeping curves, will see a lean angle of 20+ degrees. Under normal riding, not knee scraping. Lean angles of 30+ degrees are quite common if a good rider's trying to keep a brisk pace.
I would hazard a guess that there's no lean angle sensor - but just a fall sensor instead.
niranjanrvce is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2015, 11:52   #75
BHPian

Hi all,

Have been glued to this thread ever since it came up. Congrats jaysmokesleaves for this beautiful machine. Sad that it is not available in chennai. I checked the website and there's no dealers for this yet. Keeping fingers crossed for this one to arrive here.

From what i have seen and read, i feel this one has the right power, stance, and most importantly the nimbleness to break free from tight spots. A lot of people can be fooled by what it is, but that is until it delivers.

Ride safe!
Trumpet
trumpet is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks