Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2018, 17:07   #271
BHPian

Re: Mahindra is bringing Jawa back. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 1.55 lakh

From being written off since the price announcement of RE twins to roaring back into contention (atleast for me) with a truly head-turning classic design, it has been a roller coaster ride for Jawa. If Mahindra can ensure that this is not merely designed to be a piece of the past but also has the quality, performance and service to match, they will surely have set cat among the pigeons in the 350 cc segment.
greenoval is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 17:11   #272
BHPian

Mod Note: There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the forum experience for other readers. Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission.

Also, it would be a good idea to use a spell-checker.

Last edited by GTO : 17th November 2018 at 07:50.
rajchetan is offline   Received Infraction
Old 16th November 2018, 17:22   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenoval View Post
From being written off since the price announcement of RE twins to roaring back into contention (atleast for me) with a truly head-turning classic design, it has been a roller coaster ride for Jawa.

If Mahindra can ensure that this is not merely designed to be a piece of the past but also has the quality, performance and service to match, they will surely have set cat among the pigeons in the 350 cc segment.

The Mojo engine has good reviews.. and since the new Jawas are based on the same, expecting good things.

Plus a 765 mm seat, about 20 kgs lighter than the RE 350s..!!! People now really have an option.

Last edited by payeng : 16th November 2018 at 17:24.
payeng is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 17:34   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Feel 100% the opposite.

1) It is super easy to repair a tubeless tyre puncture. No need to even remove the wheel from the tyre nor loosen any nuts.

2) It is much safer as a tubeless tyre looses pressure slowly vs having a blowout as in the case of a tyre with a tube.

3) No need of a Jack or centre stand which is not available with many bikes.

4) Spokes are desirable only for off-road use alloys can get bent or break in such applications.

5) Tubeless tyres with alloys are stiffer so give a more assured ride.

6) A repair kit is as small as a tube. In both cases you require a tyre pressure pump. In case of tubeless tyre you can fill Air and drive till a professional repair shop. Not so for a tyre with tube.
100% agree with these points. Tubeless anyday. Tubetype only if your'e a hardcore offroader and take your PSI really low like 11-12 psi. Nowadays tubeless spoked rims are available. I have installed Outex tubeless kit on my spoked wheels.
sachinwadhwani is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 17:35   #275
BHPian

Zigwheels Video

Zigwheels is also out with their video and Kartikeya covers the bikes nicely. An interesting tidbit I gleaned from this video is that the inspiration for the name '42' has been derived from the hugely popular The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Douglas Adams , in the series , added a central joke which has become more famous over the years than the novel itself: "The answer to the ultimate question of life, the universe and everything is 42."

So, is 42 indeed the ultimate answer ?

Cheers !

(Links Courtesy : Wikipedia, www.independent.co.uk)

(PS : Mods, please merge the back to back posts . I tried, but the 30 min deadline had expired!)

Last edited by Ironhide : 16th November 2018 at 17:46.
Ironhide is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 21:53   #276
BHPian

The pricing of Jawas isn't really a crowd puller. With the juicily priced RE twins it appears to have lost value even further. At this price point I'd expect ABS and FI. I haven't seen any mention of these anywhere. Jawa is an all new motorcycle, even if the brand name is old. After Mojo Mahindra should have priced it a lot more attractively , since it is Finally 'The Motorcycle' in the words of Anand Mahindra. Also the service centre quality and spare part prices are going to matter a lot if it wants to shake up this segment. With a big conglomerate like Mahindra backing the initiative it should not be too difficult. Royal Enfield was resuscitated a decade ago while Jawa is being raised from the dead. Hope this one stay alive for many years to come.

Last edited by vibhavraghav : 16th November 2018 at 21:56.
vibhavraghav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 22:56   #277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibhavraghav View Post
The pricing of Jawas isn't really a crowd puller. With the juicily priced RE twins it appears to have lost value even further. At this price point I'd expect ABS and FI. I haven't seen any mention of these anywhere.
The bikes are equipped with ABS though a Single Channel one and since the engine is derived from Mojo it should be Fuel Injected as well. That engine in Mojo is one of the best motors going around and should be reliable as well. Though the RE twins stole the show, the Jawa is really growing up on me ever since the launch.
jpcoolguy is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th November 2018, 23:13   #278
Senior - BHPian

Low on power compared to RE, tube tires, drum brakes, unenthusiastic launch... but all I see is style! Maybe I am blinded by nostalgia.

But one thing I am glad about, they have kept the bigger front wheel than the rear wheel. I think it was unique to Jawa in the past, even now I am not sure if any other bikes have that other than dual-sport / adventure bikes. It gives a unique stance to the bike.

Personally, I am all over the Jawa. With much more hp and a twin engine the Interceptor makes a lot more sense, but.. that shape!
Old 16th November 2018, 23:22   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Low on power compared to RE,
It's not low on power compared to the RE 350 - it's much better even than the RE 500.

I don't think it would be fair to compare it with the 650s but it has (or had in the Mojo avatar) an excellent smooth engine which had a nice mid range which was pretty good for touring.
Skidrow is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th November 2018, 02:23   #280
BANNED

Wow! What a time to be alive and riding!

Day 1: 650 with an insane price tag.
Day 2: Gorgeous 42 with okay price tag. Perak too is a head turner.
Day 3: I wish Bajaj had launched the Husqvarna 401 twins just to keep the momentum going.

I'm split between the two bikes (42 and 650) as much as I'm split between Vitpilen and Svartpilen 401. In this duo, the Svart is the logical one.

The 42 in turquoise has me dreaming. Hopefully, it's refined, reliable, and sounds good.

Group rides are an attraction for me. Even though I'm not a fan, I like finding new roads to ride and examining them before heading out on my own. It's also a good place to connect with like-minded people. I hope they have this piece sorted.

I hated the way Mahindra goons were asking the guests to get off the stage. I would not buy if this kind of cocky behavior continues. I've been to several press launches and not seen this ... ever. Triumph launches are my favorite. Mr. Vimal Sumbly is easy to catch hold of after the event and he stays for as long as journos are there to bug him. He's also straightforward with most questions AFAIK. Now, he's with RE.

In my experience, Mahindra have been dodgy. They still haven't been able to explain how their XUV petrol generates diesel-like torque at diesel-like RPMs. And what compression it's running.

I was just telling a colleague that Jawa is back. He hadn't heard about the launch. I showed the 42 and he's like "this isn't the original Jawa, the headlight isn't the same". Then I showed him the newly-launched "original" Jawa and he immediately started telling me how its lever needed to be moved from 'gear' mode to 'kickstart' mode. I didn't know these things. His dad owned one. So there's certainly the nostalgia factor in the Jawa bikes. If people know and remember these bikes, they're also likely to buy one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Well, I think with the spoked alloys, there is no option but to keep a tube in the tires to ensure that the air is not leaking.
There are tubeless conversion kits available. Outex, as mentioned in the thread is one. Tubliss is another. Expensive? Yes. Usable? May be. Not for off-road. Because you run the risk of breaking the bead. I'd hate to be in that situation.

Some manufacturers have found a workaround. The Suzuki V-Storm 650 has the spokes don't penetrate the rim. BMW R9T have the spokes meeting the rim at the edges to avoid the beads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post

I've experienced several punctures while riding but never a blow-out, so can't comment on that.
I have, and I still prefer tubes unless I know I'm not hitting the dirt even a little bit. I'm almost always dressed for the occasion as if crashing was on the agenda. But, they're definitely a pain. On the Impulse, for example, there's no center stand. Taking off and slotting the rear wheel is a pain even for professionals...while the bike is on a jack...and I'm holding a few parts to help align everything.

On the Navi, it's too easy. There's the benefit of "single-sided swingarm" if you can call it that.

I haven't tried my hand at replacing the tube, let along fixing a puncture. But I intend to learn how to do that before I take the Navi on a road trip.

I'm always being extra careful with the Gixxer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcan123 View Post
The 42 has got me thinking now.. Should I go for the 650 or the 42? I know they are in different leagues but still..
Should I upgrade from my GS150R to 42 or 650?
My heart says 650 - Enjoy the retro looking and very well put together package with the extremely value for money as the icing factor.
My mind says 42 - Save the 1 lakh rupees difference and still enjoy the retro looking bike.
We're in the same boat. I'm just looking at it from the other end. My heart is with the 42 and my head is with the 650. This RE is such a logical purchase that it makes me wonder if it's RE enough. REs have traditionally been the most emotional purchases for many.

I agree that they're in different categories but some of us know exactly what to get in each category. I'm just looking for value, even if it comes at a cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcan123 View Post
I understand that certain aspects like commuter-bike-like rear brake pedal and gear lever, absence of clock and gear indicator, etc can be justified so as to maintain the retro feel but it is hard to accept misaligned mudguards (both front and rear), MRF nylogrip tyres and absence of rear disk brakes.
I noticed the alignment too. But I was like, what the hell, it's a classic. It's not like REs are the benchmarks in QC. And yet they sell. As long as the bits that could get me stranded are working well, I'm okay.

For the price, it's certainly better equipped than the 350s. There's FI. More power. They're lighter. I can't stand heavy bikes that are also low on power and features. There are trip meters. I'm just glad there's someone to challenge the RE's might.
MaheshY1 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th November 2018, 05:02   #281

Am not sure how others look at it.

I think any enthusiast from the present generation planning to purchase the vehicle would look at it alongside the others who have established themselves in the market over a period. Selling nostalgia can be done only with a generation who remember it with the same specs and feel. A mojo engine in jawa with no yezdi name to it, well we are shifting timelines further down.
Old 17th November 2018, 09:41   #282
Senior - BHPian

The more I look at the Jawa the more I'm liking it. The more I'm looking at the Interceptor the less I'm liking it. Anyone else facing this syndrome ?

1. Jawa has a more modern engine and better power and torque to weight than RE 350/500
2. better colour options ?
3. Novelty on road
4. Possibly better FE - a plus while touring
5. The sound as per the advertisement I saw on you tube is more appealing than the RE classic

What I need more info on
1. Seating ergonomics
2. Given the shorter and narrower rear portion how practical is it to have some panniers for touring.

Maybe the Jawa is built to be a city poser with short drives. Not possibly for long distance touring. Anyway I can't buy it. These are just random thoughts
narayan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th November 2018, 11:18   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaheshY1 View Post
My heart is with the 42 and my head is with the 650.
This itself is a gigantic victory for Mahindra! Who would have ever thought that a Mahindra bike would be the heart option with an RE product the logical one!!

I was afraid the Jawa would sink without notice post the blockbuster 650 launches. But the bikes have really surprised me and a lot of people. They seem really well built and all the elements work together great.
The pricing is also good for the package being offered.
Hopefully they come up with a 500cc version.

Quote:
The more I look at the Jawa the more I'm liking it. The more I'm looking at the Interceptor the less I'm liking it. Anyone else facing this syndrome ?
Same with me. Purely on looks the Interceptor does not seem very appealing.
I wish they would do a Classic 650 as well.

Last edited by timuseravan : 17th November 2018 at 11:20.
timuseravan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th November 2018, 12:00   #284
BHPian

Owning and living with a Royal Enfield Thunderbird (2006 AVL) has been a great experience. But of course it has few issues of its own. Had been waiting for the JAWA to be relaunched, and boy what a pleasant surprise it has been to see the JAWA in its true colors.

I have ridden Mojo and the NVH levels of the silky smooth engine gives all the more reason to go for JAWA instead of the RE.

Will just wait for the reviews and initial ownership experiences of few before taking the jump and putting one in my courtyard.

Last edited by Cj3bDog : 17th November 2018 at 12:05. Reason: Slight spelling error
Cj3bDog is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th November 2018, 12:05   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post

1. Jawa has a more modern engine and better power and torque to weight than RE 350/500
2. better colour options ?
3. Novelty on road
4. Possibly better FE - a plus while touring
5. The sound as per the advertisement I saw on you tube is more appealing than the RE classic

What I need more info on
1. Seating ergonomics
2. Given the shorter and narrower rear portion how practical is it to have some panniers for touring.

Maybe the Jawa is built to be a city poser with short drives. Not possibly for long distance touring. Anyway I can't buy it. These are just random thoughts
I have the same feeling, the 42 design grows on beating the interceptor. I already have a 82 Classic and 72 Enfield for nostalgia and was looking for something as a daily run where the 42 fits right in. For me, the light weight and nimbleness qualify for the perfect city bike which I am afraid is not possible with the twins. I wanted something like an RX100 which I found the most easiest one to ride in a city.

Don't get me wrong with the twins, both must be very capable machines for highway cruising.
LionX is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks