Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2020, 11:01   #421

Re: Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Hey, that's awesome.
Thank you for the detailed response! Would certainly be interested in the Rally Kit + Stripping it down That build you shared is awesome. Will post here if something good happens!
oldschoolcool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 16:31   #422
BHPian

BHPians from Gurgaon / Delhi, have you signed up for the Xtrails even coming Sunday (Oct 18)?
I haven't received the confirmation for my registration yet. They'll have the motorcycles with rally kit there. Might just be the nudge I need to get the rally kit for my Xpulse
Old 20th October 2020, 02:30   #423

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_neel View Post
Hey, that's awesome. I would whole-heartedly recommend the XPulse to you.
Hey Neel! So I spent Sunday afternoon on the Honda CRF250, and then did a comparison of it with the XPULSE 200 + Rally Kit + Akra Exhaust.

The CRF was an absolute blast, with some issues. For my height (6' 2"), the bike was setup way too low, and I didn't get the chance to add risers. I found the normal riding position to be exhausting at my height when standing. I would definitely need to spend time increasing all the height adjustment on the bike to make it more comfortable. Not to mention that we cannot easily buy or import this beauty

Moving onto the XPLUSE 200 - firstly, wow. I cannot believe this is a bike made in India, for Indians. It's like the dawn of a new age! Thank you Hero! The bike height and position were super comfortable (standing and sitting). I did find the handlebars a bit too narrow. The Akra exhaust was awesome. Throttle response wise, the CRF was far superior, giving me torque exactly when I needed it. I also felt the general Throttle control on the CRF was way better, something that the XPulse could improve on. The XPulse tank is pretty big for Dirt Bike / MX standards, but that made it very easy to grip with my legs; surprisingly, I guess the added weight is compensated for by an easier to handle (?) design?

Now the question is if I should buy the XPulse 200 at the price bracket it's in (with no other current competitors), or save up for a "proper" dirt bike from Kawasaki/Yamaha/Suzuki/KTM(?)/Huskie(?), considering that the CRF from Honda is a distant dream in India...

Considering that we're looking at a 2 - 4x increase in cost for a CBU unit, and the waiting time for me to save the cash...the XPulse is looking like a pretty decent option to throw around and improve skills on. The bike is extremely capable and can perform way beyond my talent reach currently - that is evident from seeing the insane things people like CS Santosh & Crew have been doing on them!
oldschoolcool is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 14:55   #424
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcool View Post
Hey Neel! So I spent Sunday afternoon on the Honda CRF250, and then did a comparison of it with the XPULSE 200 + Rally Kit + Akra Exhaust.
Joshua Crasto from Mumbai, a well regarded motorcycle restorer and mechanic el grande had this to say on his instagram account on this very topic.

Quote:
My phone keeps ringing with the eternally unanswered question, Xpulse or imported dirtbike. And al things aside,
talk about the cost of owning and fixing both motorcycles. I've put together this post with the aim of comparing repair cost of both, and am in no way trying to dissuade anyone from buying one of the other.

Front suspension: WR450f: Fork oil seals INR1300, Fork Oil INR1 200 Labour charges for full fork rebuild INR 2500. Finding the right mechanic to do the job right is not always hassle free. Hero X-pulse: Brand new full fork assembly - INR6800

Rear Suspension: WR450f: Shock rebuild kit; INR 10500, Shock Oil INR800 Labour charges for full shock rebuild INR 5000. Parts are imported, turn around time is long and more importantly this service is only offered by very few workshops across the country.

Hero X-Brand new rear shock assembly inr 5500

Gear Pedal: Wr450f: Tusk or any good quality aftermarket gear pedal will set you back approx INR2800 after shipping and custom duties.
Hero X-pulse: At INR140 it's cheaper than a can of bleep
Engine Rebuild: Wr450f: A wiseco engine rebuild kit will set you back about INR115000 after shipping and custom duties. And you're still left looking for the right person to make all of this come together like it should. Hero X-pulse: Parts for a full rebuild will set your back approx INR9000, and this includes all new everything. Labour for the same at a private garage ranges from INR3000-5000
Though i am equally enamoured by the imports, i am a staunch believer now in atmanirbhar for any motorcycle, dirt or otherwise i buy from hereon. And its not even political lol.

Information credit

Last edited by Red Liner : 20th October 2020 at 15:18.
Red Liner is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 18:41   #425
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Joshua Crasto from Mumbai, a well regarded motorcycle restorer and mechanic el grande had this to say on his instagram account on this very topic.
I'd seen the same when Neel had shared Joshua's post on social media. And coming from someone with his experience really means something.

BUT, me knowing Hero quite well did my own research with the help of Hero's own E-Catalogue, and trust you me after going through the pricing of its electricals you'll fall more in love with your KTM and even contemplate getting a tattoo to commemorate the same.

Personally I'm no fan of the engine platform though I had respect for it a long time ago, both Honda and Hero have taken the lazy route but the Xpulse unlike the other iterations of the CB150 (excluding the Impulse of course) does have its pro's with respect to dynamics.

So if at all anyone feels that I am biased, simply do give it a whirl.

Hero E-Catalogue

Regards,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 19:35   #426
BHPian

Hi BHPians,

This is my first post in the forum after being a regular guest for almost a decade.

Got delivery of my Xpulse 200 BS6 on 21st Oct.

Earlier bikes:-
Yamaha SZ-X: 2011-2017 (sold after 52000km)
Bajaj V15: 2017-present (28500km)

Although my experience with the Yamaha had been very reliable and trouble free, that's not true for my V15 as it started giving problems from 2nd year itself. Infact the engine had to be opened after only 2.5 years/25000km. This is despite regular servicing using Motul engine oil.

Hoping for a long term and reliable relationship with this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-20201021132238_img_2385.jpg  

Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-20201021132353_img_2393.jpg  

Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-20201021132312_img_2388.jpg  

DevOnWheels is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 23:15   #427
BHPian

Hero dealers are omitting the mandatory oil filter cleaning and oil centrifugal cleaning during first service (550-750 kms), owing to gaskets not being in stock. Owners, please check your manuals and make sure you get this done. Filter cleaning during first service is important for the engine's life. Me and my friend have been taken for a ride by the Thiruvalla and Ranny dealer. So procured 4 gaskets today from a friend in another dealership (Pala).

This is important for Warranty claims too, because if these are not present in your bill for first service, they can easily deny your claims.

I think DIY is the way to go these days if you need your vehicle running in top condition. Planning to do this on a weekend, and will post the pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-img_20201104_230934.jpg  

Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-img_20201104_230910.jpg  

sreeJiva is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 11:42   #428
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

Though i am equally enamoured by the imports, i am a staunch believer now in atmanirbhar for any motorcycle, dirt or otherwise i buy from hereon. And its not even political lol.

Information credit
Well if josh crasto is your mechanic , then you’d might as well buy an Xpulse. . There’s no point trying to compare the 2 , capabilities are universes apart. The xpulse can’t do what a WR can do and the WR can’t compare to the other in terms of cost of ownership.
This is not to take away from what a capable little bike the xpulse is , just thought I’d point out we need to be pragmatic in our evaluation of a motorcycle
howler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 12:10   #429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
Well if josh crasto is your mechanic , then you’d might as well buy an Xpulse. .
Name sounds familiar from a long long time ago.

RDDreams I think ... maybe.

@jaggu might be able to confirm.

Cheers, Doc
Old 8th November 2020, 12:20   #430
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well if josh crasto is your mechanic , then you’d might as well buy an Xpulse. . There’s no point trying to compare the 2 , capabilities are universes apart. The xpulse can’t do what a WR can do and the WR can’t compare to the other in terms of cost of ownership.
This is not to take away from what a capable little bike the xpulse is , just thought I’d point out we need to be pragmatic in our evaluation of a motorcycle
Neither is Josh my mechanic nor do i have 8 lakhs in spare change to throw out on a wr for the dirt

Honda CRF rally for 4 lakhs tops, yup am listening.
Old 8th November 2020, 15:26   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Name sounds familiar from a long long time ago.

RDDreams I think ... maybe.

@jaggu might be able to confirm.

Cheers, Doc
Well he was rons guy in bom who would fit his cdi systems . That was sometime ago
howler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2020, 15:28   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well he was rons guy in bom who would fit his cdi systems . That was sometime ago
There's a name from another lifetime. Got the connection now. Thanks.

Cheers, Doc

Last edited by ebonho : 8th November 2020 at 15:37.
Old 9th November 2020, 12:42   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreeJiva View Post
Hero dealers are omitting the mandatory oil filter cleaning and oil centrifugal cleaning during first service (550-750 kms), owing to gaskets not being in stock. Owners, please check your manuals and make sure you get this done. Filter cleaning during first service is important for the engine's life. Me and my friend have been taken for a ride by the Thiruvalla and Ranny dealer. So procured 4 gaskets today from a friend in another dealership (Pala).
You are right regarding the dealers not performing the above-mentioned tasks; I would have faced the same issue although not for the same reason of non-availability of gaskets.

I have a habit of staying by the side of my bike during the service with the owner's manual in hand - I take it to a smaller dealer/ service center so that I can do this. When I realized that the mechanic was about to refill oil, I pointed out that the oil filter cleaning and oil centrifugal cleaning were not done. He asked me if that was required during the first service to which I responded that that's what's mentioned in the manual. He let me know that I would be charged for the gaskets.

It appeared as though he was not aware that these jobs had to be done during the first service - poor training to be blamed, I guess.
raman.aries is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2020, 06:59   #434
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreeJiva View Post

This is important for Warranty claims too, because if these are not present in your bill for first service, they can easily deny your claims.

I think DIY is the way to go these days if you need your vehicle running in top condition. Planning to do this on a weekend, and will post the pics.
1. I find it hard to believe the rotor filter gasket isn't available, this engine is older than some enthusiasts here and yet a lack of availability of a common component is unbelievable. Do try buying the complete gasket kit for the Hunk/CBZ Xtreme from outside, non OE costs about 100ish for the complete kit including metal head gasket and copper exhaust gasket.

I haven't tried this, but the engine platform is basically the same hence the suggestion. The price is negligible all things considered.

2. Having said that, you really don't need to clean it during the first service, even for my P220 the recommended interval is every 5k KM's but I've never really bothered to do it, here's a snap of it at close to 50k KM's when I'd taken the clutch cover off for the very first time.

Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-imag0086.jpg

As you can see the amount of residue isn't concerning. At best I'd suggest you only worry about the same during every clutch change as it makes more sense. Other than that you'd need to religiously change your engine oil if you favour engine life, type of engine oil is irrelevant provided you change on time.

3. Your warranty is maintained provided you have your slips processed, the rest is irrelevant. Ex-Hero Owner myself who used to have a field day claiming warranty.

EDIT, 4. The rotor on Honda's is made from Aluminium, so do take care not to crack it, if by chance it get cracked you're looking at an upcoming engine seizure.

Ride Safe,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 10th November 2020 at 07:09.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2020, 21:10   #435
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Test rode the Xpulse today. Have been drawn to this motorcycle since a long time. Had small test ride on the BS4 twice last year. Today was on the BS6 and a very new bike. I like it. The light weight, the ergonomics. Rode over some offroad and suspension felt planted.
There is a use case scenario to bring home the xpulse, else its difficult to justify its presence. The case being, my BIL rides a unicorn for daily commuting which is old and needs replacement. So i have sort of brainwashed him into replace the unicorn with xpulse. He is not at all a petrol head, an found the 'look' a bit 'off' for his commuter requirement, but i have managed to convince him. The secret is that he will use it on weekdays and i will use it for some trails on weekends.
The showroom on hosur road (electronic city) had a fully loaded bike with ralley kit and its really really tall. I swapped the ralley seat with stock and still could barely tiptoe. I am 5'9". Not sure if the ralley kit makes sense for trails as i feel, the height is so much, a slight wrong footing means there is no 2nd chance and we will end up dropping the bike. The stock bike itself seemed good enough though.
Was considering the green and contemplating some basic wrap work to make it more docile and hide those stickers. Tried some basic photoshop. Do share your thoughts.
Attached Thumbnails
Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-img_20201122_104253.jpg  

Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-01.jpg  

Hero teases small adventure bike. EDIT: It's the XPulse 200-01-02.jpg  

nasirkaka is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks