Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2017, 17:28   #121
BHPian

Re: Motovlogger beaten up at India Bike Week for criticizing a modded Z800

Very interesting thread, various comments and even more interesting set of people. In General the reactions can be split into

1) People who think that Vlogger was absolutely not at fault and the B/M (Biker/Motorcyclist) was completely at fault.
Thanks for restoring faith in humanity

2) People who think Vlogger should have refrained from abusing about the bike but still think B/M was at fault.
These set of people seem to think Freedom of Expression is not absolute and is subjective when someone else says but they just won't mind pulling Vlogger down the same way he did because they for sure have absolute freedom of expression! I just keep wondering how these people will react if someone beats/embarrasses them up in front of a big crowd for supporting actions of B/M

3) People who think Vlogger was absolutely at fault and deserved what he got!
Congrats on being an open bully on Team-BHP and still be proud of it
RaghuVis is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th December 2017, 17:45   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

I would also recommend everyone who is a biker or a motorcyclist to please pick up and read this book: zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance.

Dont worry, it has absolutely nothing to do with motorcycle maintenance. Please do give it a read. You will understand what this passion for motorcycling really is.
Red Liner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 08:32   #123

In my opinion every object is tend to be modified to suit the likes of the person who owns it. Few might like it and others may not. The likes of people are subjective.
In this incident the likes of the owner of the bike and the vlogger seem poles apart.
You can have your opinion on the looks of something but that has to be constrained to yourself.

With a powerful tool like social media which is reachable to millions of people, These days one has to be very careful with the content that he/she posts.
There is nothing wrong in posting content but it shall be done in a way that does not affect the feelings or likes of other person.

Also violence is not the answer to every issue in the world.
The fault lies in both the sides equally whether it be sharing sensitive content or beating up somebody.

As biker brothers we should show respect to each other, help each other in every instance possible.

---Together for miles to come
Old 6th December 2017, 11:59   #124
BHPian

I am motorcyclist.

I treat my bike as a family member, and would definately not like it when some one curses my family on the social media.

The vlogger could have resorted to keeping his language a little decent, especially when he's catering to a huge amount of audience.
He could have said in such way that mentioned its his personal opinion rather than labeling the bike as he did, "most ****** up bike".

Also, The biker could have too resorted to a calmer response comparatively.
Violence is not the solution to what the immature vlogger was doing.
A firm but understanding conversation would have been better.

At the end:

The vlogger did not kick your bike, why did u kick him??
Old 6th December 2017, 12:23   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul4 View Post
You can have your opinion on the looks of something but that has to be constrained to yourself.
There is nothing wrong in posting content but it shall be done in a way that does not affect the feelings or likes of other person.
Your post may have offended me. So should you stop posting? Anything that any of us may post anywhere could potentially end up offending someone or the other. What we should in fact learn is to accept or simply ignore what others post (about us or about anything that we possess or about anything for that matter) as long as it does not bring material harm to us. We should be careful about posting any content that may violate the laws of the country and refrain from doing so.

I do not see anything wrong with what the vlogger had posted. People have such opinion about anything - movies, stuff they buy, people they come across, their employer, their bosses, the government. How many such reviews do we find on tripadvisor and other portals about hotels, restaurants etc. And if you had read through the screenshot of the whatsapp messages related to this incident, posted on another portal, many posts were much more offensive. I see a lot of similarity between this and the incidents of road rage. Ignore and move on in life. Confrontation and violence will not get any proper solution. Nine times out of ten, you may have an upper hand. But there is a chance that someday the other person will have the upper hand and you may end up paying for it with your life. Is it worth it?

To put things more bluntly these people believe that money can increase their intrinsic value and they mistake things that they possess for themselves. They have huge egos boosted by their spending. It is always better to avoid the company of such people.
pjbiju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 12:25   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

Just a couple of things:

The bike was displayed and shown off in a public event, basically an invitation for opinions. Or was he so cocky that his taste in "modding" would suit everybody?

With a powerful tool like social media which is reachable to millions of people, These days one has to be very careful with the content that he/she posts.

Its social media. Call the cops if it is warranted. Taking offence is overrated. If easily offended, get off social media. There's too much of this "I am offended" happening nowadays. Fry puts it rather more succintly:

Motovlogger beaten up at India Bike Week for criticizing a modded Z800-fb_img_1512273079550.jpg

The fault lies in both the sides equally whether it be sharing sensitive content or beating up somebody.

What sensitive content? The one that was on display in front of thousands of people?

Last edited by GTO : 7th December 2017 at 09:28. Reason: Completely removing profanity from image
mayankk is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 13:01   #127
BHPian

I just can't fathom all the people justifying the act by the bike owner and his friends just because they didn't like what the Vlogger commented.

He just expressed his opinion, ignore it and move on or click a picture of his bike and post a comment of your own.

I once met a gentleman (for the first time) at a function and while going back i offered to drop him. On the way back, he started lecturing me on the importance of maintaining the car clean(my car was not very clean that day) in a rather condescending way. Initially i laughed it off and told him that i know and i generally keep it clean but he went on and after a few minutes it really got to me- all this while sitting in my car. Since he was my guest, i didn't say much. After a while, i stopped the car by the side and told him let us start cleaning the car before proceeding further since it was so unhealthy to travel in my car. I stopped and started taking the mats out and told him to do the same from his side, he was completely taken aback and didn't know what to do. Since i was non-confrontational he was at a loss. He had no option but to do his part, as i refused to move without cleaning and it was night time and there were not many vehicles around. We cleaned the car enough for him to have got the message. For the rest of the journey he didn't say a word and i was talking, tongue in cheek, about how right he was and how better i already feel (healthwise) after the cleaning. When i finally dropped him he mumbled thanks and went away. I just had a good laugh after that and i am sure he will never forget the incident

The point is there are many ways to get even with an offending person and going physical is definitely not one of them

Last edited by Mohan Mathew A : 6th December 2017 at 13:04.
Mohan Mathew A is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 16:44   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
I treat my bike as a family member, and would definately not like it when some one curses my family on the social media
If you parade your "family member" in front of thousands of people (lakhs on social media); you have given your consent then and there for people to judge the said "family member"

The Vlogger person is not at all at fault. But he should have been smart about the whole thing. Goons will be goons and you should have the grey matter to ensure they don't enter your life in any form, shape or manner
Urban_Nomad is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 16:47   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
I once met a gentleman (for the first time) at a function and while going back i offered to drop him. On the way back, he started lecturing me on the importance of maintaining the car clean(my car was not very clean that day) in a rather condescending way. Initially i laughed it off and told him that i know and i generally keep it clean but he went on and after a few minutes it really got to me- all this while sitting in my car. Since he was my guest, i didn't say much. After a while, i stopped the car by the side and told him let us start cleaning the car before proceeding further since it was so unhealthy to travel in my car. I stopped and started taking the mats out and told him to do the same from his side, he was completely taken aback and didn't know what to do. Since i was non-confrontational he was at a loss. He had no option but to do his part, as i refused to move without cleaning and it was night time and there were not many vehicles around. We cleaned the car enough for him to have got the message. For the rest of the journey he didn't say a word and i was talking, tongue in cheek, about how right he was and how better i already feel (healthwise) after the cleaning. When i finally dropped him he mumbled thanks and went away. I just had a good laugh after that and i am sure he will never forget the incident
Let me start off by saying I do not think anyone should get beaten up. But, your entire story is not a direct comparison to this.
  1. The person in your car was your guest
  2. He did not make a youtube video of how dirty your car was and publish it onto the internet
  3. You probably are a better person
abhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 17:17   #130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohan Mathew A View Post
He had no option but to do his part, as i refused to move without cleaning and it was night time and there were not many vehicles around. We cleaned the car enough for him to have got the message.
Post this in the experiences on road thread! Best way to answer critics. Hats off.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 17:37   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I am in the other end of this spectrum. It is my bike and i will rip it, break it or even burn it. If one does not like it, mind their own business and move on.
If they are going to call me names i would be happy to let them know how i respond to such threats in my own convenient way.
I do not know what conspired here and it all looks like one side of the story told in favor of that one side. Vlogging is fine as long as one minds their own business. It is not fine if that vlogger tries to become a police to take matters into his own hands. One exception is being a good Samaritan.
I prefer vloggers like Prassy in this group. Minds his own business and does what he loves doing, riding his bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by satishv1987 View Post
I have absolutely no issues with the Vlogger also being criticized. After all, free speech works both ways.

There are numerous posts where the tone makes it obvious that the vlogger had it coming. ( I will PM you the links) . There is no gray area as far as violence is concerned. Violence against another human being can never be justified, regardless of the provocation.

When one says "He should not have been beaten up but his views were so inflammatory!" , it is as good as justifying violence.

As members of a reputed forum, we must be unequivocal in our criticism of violence. There should never be any "ifs" and "buts".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elito11 View Post
Frankly it is an ugly bike. That said I would never post such bitchy comments on social media. Its rude and can be offensive. Rest is just drama.
Biking is all about Passion, and when its about passion there are no rights and no wrongs. If the guy was passionate about his bike, he could have done what he wanted to do it, calling the bike 'most f&*ck#d up bike'... that is now pushing your luck.

hell, if someone calls my stock C5 a piece of junk - i wont think twice before retaliating.

We all are talking about the vlogger being hit, but imho that is a reaction. What caused that reaction, was there a need for such language? was there a need for unprovoked insulting? for what to get a few more subscribers? to get a few more 'hits' or 'likes' on your post.

And also he was there to cover IBW - if you follow him on insta, there are probably 2 or 3 posts about the same. Same on his Y/T channel.

I condemn the violence, but the vlogger had it coming.

ac
Old 6th December 2017, 18:11   #132
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
Biking is all about Passion, and when its about passion there are no rights and no wrongs.
Being passionate about something and engaging in criminal activity to defend it are entirely different things. 'Crimes of Passion' are a thing you know, and one can still be prosecuted for them to the full extent of applicable law. Being stupid - which many would argue the Vlogger was - is not a crime, physical violence is.

One could also argue that someone really passionate about something would be able to insulate his passion from what others think about it, but it's obviously easier said than done.

Quote:
hell, if someone calls my stock C5 a piece of junk - i wont think twice before retaliating.
While I'd agree you have a right to 'retaliate', I hope you weigh the consequences of the form your 'retaliation' takes, for your own sake.

Quote:
What caused that reaction, was there a need for such language? was there a need for unprovoked insulting?
Those questions apply both ways.

Quote:
I condemn the violence, but the vlogger had it coming.....
You're literally condemning and justifying violence in a single sentence. You're free to have an opinion, but can't argue both sides of an argument

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th December 2017 at 18:23.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 18:24   #133
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
Biking is all about Passion, and when its about passion there are no rights and no wrongs. If the guy was passionate about his bike, he could have done what he wanted to do it, calling the bike 'most f&*ck#d up bike'... that is now pushing your luck.

We all are talking about the vlogger being hit, but imho that is a reaction. What caused that reaction, was there a need for such language? was there a need for unprovoked insulting? for what to get a few more subscribers? to get a few more 'hits' or 'likes' on your post.

And also he was there to cover IBW - if you follow him on insta, there are probably 2 or 3 posts about the same. Same on his Y/T channel.

I condemn the violence, but the vlogger had it coming.

ac
I am afraid that is not the right way to look at this at all. You may be sharing your opinion here but what is wrong is just wrong. Also, what exactly do you define as passion for biking? Revving the nuts off your bike in neutral at shows to gain attention? Riding your bike with no riding gear?

Lets accept it. As stated in previous posts, if the bike was paraded at a show and revved unnecessarily for the sake to showing off, it has been treated not as a loving family member but something very different. Hence if someone does form an opinion that it is the most @^#&#ed up bike in India, there is nothing the owner can do about. And assaulting anyone does not count as 'nothing'.

And finally, if someone does call your C5 a piece of junk and you do engage him, and then happen to get beaten up or worse, what would you have gained/achieved/proved??

Last edited by naturaldisaster : 6th December 2017 at 18:25. Reason: typo
Old 6th December 2017, 18:29   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Being passionate and engaging in criminal activity are entirely different things. 'Crimes of Passion' are a thing you know, and one can still be prosecuted for them to the full extent of applicable law. Being stupid - which many would argue the Vlogger was - is not a crime, physical violence is.

You're literally condemning and justifying violence in a single sentence. You're free to have an opinion, but can't argue both sides of an argument
wanted to avoid such a conversation. we can punch holes in each others thoughts or belief systems till the cows come home so lets just agree to disagree.

cheers,
ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturaldisaster View Post
I am afraid that is not the right way to look at this at all. You may be sharing your opinion..

finally, if someone does call your C5 a piece of junk and you do engage him, and then happen to get beaten up or worse, what would you have gained/achieved/proved??
Fair point. There is no definition of a true biker over a wanna be biker, to each his own. If one feels he is a biker, well he is one, what the world thinks about him/her doesnt matter.

Also about the fact that the vlogger used language which even at T-Bhp (a closed forum) will call for a ban or a strong reprimand, he used it on a public forum. That is wrong.

Also the z800 owner did keep up the bike for opinions, not to be abused. That is wrong.

Also keep in mind that I condemn the vlogger getting beat up, this discourages honest vlogging and sharing honest opinions.

But hope that the vlogger learnt a thing or two about copy checking his posts before putting them up in a public platform.

cheers,
ac

Last edited by Samurai : 7th December 2017 at 09:12. Reason: B2B posts
Old 6th December 2017, 19:15   #135
BHPian

Well in today's world most of us know that temper's can snap in a blink of the eye.

The vlogger should have kept his loud mouth to acceptable levels of sane comments rather than instigating.

In modern times WATCH YOUR TONGUE, watch your lips is the past.

For some, bikes are worshipped, for others there are so many other material things, being worshipped.

If you are reporting or posting something on social media, ensure you don't instigate.

Pardon n forgiveness has been dusted out in the last century.
It's now instant justice or karma.

Cheers guys.
Jr Godzilla is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks