Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2020, 09:56   #271

Re: The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcracker View Post
Apologies in advance for the n00b question:
There are adjustable 1-5 level knobs on both the clutch and brake handle. What does they do? What purpose do they solve?
They will help you adjust the reach of the lever. Push the lever forward and the turn the knob to change the reach

Attaching the Owner's manual for KTM Adv 390
btdhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 23:04   #272
Team-BHP Support

Wired spoke wheels on a 390 Adventure -

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 16:20   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by btdhar View Post
They will help you adjust the reach of the lever. Push the lever forward and the turn the knob to change the reach

Attaching the Owner's manual for KTM Adv 390
By that you mean adjust the reach of the foot lever or the hand lever?

Also
Setting 1: Most forward/closer
Setting 2: Most backward/further
Am I right? Also, I cant see the attachment :/

I have ridden the 390 ADV for about 350 kms now. Here are my initial thoughts:

-The Clutch foot pedal's reach is pretty further away from the foot rest. Makes me always shift my left foot's pivot ahead while shifting gears. My foot size is 44 (UK) which I dont think by any standards is small. Still, this is what I'm facing.

-Compared to my Hero HF Dawn, shifting gears with your foot requires more power on the 390. Kinda getting used to it though.

-I dropped the bike on the right side the first time yesterday at 2 kmph. It happened during a parking situation. The crash guards are scratched, but the body is fine. Only thing, the brake footrest pedal completely twisted itself. Twisted it back to its original position using a panner, but the teeth on it are completely twisted. This is made of aluminium so if twisted again, they will break.

-There is a lot of rattle noise in the engine, especially at RPMs below 4.5k.

-Just like rattling, there is a lot of knocking on the engine at RPMs below 4k, but this is a well known issue due to the bike's low torque in the lower spectrum.

-KTM nailed the Display on this one. I know its from the 790 but it is amazing. Does what its supposed to do. Is snappy. Easy to use. And offers the best visibility in all conditions, including under full bright Indian summer sun.

-The fuel gauge is a little weird and at times, not accurate. Today I fuelled up to the brim and still there was one bar less on the display. This wasnt the case during my previous fuel up which was again, to the brim.

-The bike brakes really well. Oh I am so happy with the brakes. They make the machine stop when you want it to stop. And this is a boon for Indian urban riding conditions for situations like, say, you're riding at 60-70 kmph thinking the road is open but out of nowehere an auto comes from the wrong side wanting to take a u-turn, you then apply brakes. My Hero HF Dawn would have failed there 100% and I would have rammed into the auto. The KTM would have managed this situation with ease, due to the braking.

-Stability: Oh this machine is solid and stable as a rock. It invokes confidence in a way I've never experienced before. Now, I'm actually very conscious riding my HF Dawn because I just dont find the machine to be that stable. (Funny/weird thing: before riding the KTM the Hero HD Dawn felt like a decent stable machine and I wasn't so conscious will riding it. Now I am more paranoid riding it)

-Out of topic rant: Now riding my HF Dawn feels like I'm riding a toy. Before the 390 ADV, I felt the HF Dawn was of decent size, and at times I even felt it was heavy. Now, after spending 2 weeks with the KTM, the Dawn feels like a toy machine that is really small in size and really lightweight.

-Currently the average I'm getting is around 29-30kmpl. Riding is mostly on less-traffic conditions in Delhi/Noida. But traffic nevertheless.

-My height is 5'10", and my feet can not stay flat-footed on the KTM 390 ADV. I can tip toe though, with enough grip to drag the bike out of tight parking spots and reverse manoeuvres . Not discounting the fact that still I find this to be a slightly heavy bike.

-I'm a little confused about the bluetooth. I connected my bluetooth headset to my phone, my phone was paired with the bike. However, whenever I was receiving calls, I could never hear any sound on the earphones. How do I make this work? Also, any thoughts on helmets with bluetooth speakers and mic? Since I will be using this bike for commuting a lot (I'm fundamentally a Sales person so I move around a lot), would you recommend me some helmets?

-Has anybody installed those Zana crash guards? What is your experience with them?
nutcracker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 16:41   #274
BHPian

Quote:
By that you mean adjust the reach of the foot lever or the hand lever?
Hand levers sir. It for people with different palm size and adjusting the reach according to your preference.
ast.ggn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 18:30   #275
BHPian

Quote:
-I dropped the bike on the right side the first time yesterday at 2 kmph. It happened during a parking situation. The crash guards are scratched, but the body is fine. Only thing, the brake footrest pedal completely twisted itself. Twisted it back to its original position using a panner, but the teeth on it are completely twisted. This is made of aluminium so if twisted again, they will break.

-The fuel gauge is a little weird and at times, not accurate. Today I fuelled up to the brim and still there was one bar less on the display. This wasnt the case during my previous fuel up which was again, to the brim.

-My height is 5'10", and my feet can not stay flat-footed on the KTM 390 ADV. I can tip toe though, with enough grip to drag the bike out of tight parking spots and reverse manoeuvres . Not discounting the fact that still I find this to be a slightly heavy bike.

-I'm a little confused about the bluetooth. I connected my bluetooth headset to my phone, my phone was paired with the bike. However, whenever I was receiving calls, I could never hear any sound on the earphones. How do I make this work? Also, any thoughts on helmets with bluetooth speakers and mic? Since I will be using this bike for commuting a lot (I'm fundamentally a Sales person so I move around a lot), would you recommend me some helmets?
1- I would suggest you to get it changed as there are chances of it breaking under hard press in an unfortunate scenario.

2- Common issue with digital fuel guages, make sure the bike is in upright position whilst fueling.

3- Don't just randomly park anywhere like you do with HF Dawn, you have to park it keeping in mind the difficulties in tight spaces, try to park in such a way that you can easily take it out. You will get used to the weight with time

4- Check the Bluetooth settings of your phone, choose your earphone and make sure you have phone call options ticked. There are bluetooth headsets for helmets, such as SENA, no firsthand experience so I would leave it to others. I assume normal bluetooth in-ear earphones which has small earpod does the job?
Justin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2020, 11:57   #276
BHPian

Does anybody have any idea on when the official KTM accessories will be available? In January KTM said it has partnered with a lot of Indian manufacturers to make accessories like saddle stay, top box etc. KTM said they would be available in 3-4 months.

Nothing is seen as of yet.
Old 10th July 2020, 21:22   #277
Distinguished - BHPian

I like this little KTM. The more I ride this bike offroad, the more confident I get.

Red Liner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 07:49   #278
BHPian

Couple of updates from my side:

* Got the fuel pipe & front brake caliper bolts changed. This was done under warranty. The earlier fuel pipe could pinch thanks to its softer material is what I was told. The new caliper bolts are longer in length than the original ones.

* Had ordered saddle stay from ADV Tribe (https://www.advtribe.in/product/ktm-...e-saddle-stay/) and got it fitted. Overall construction quality looks good (though not at par with something like SW Motech for e.g.). I already had saddle bags from Rynox (https://www.rynoxgears.com/collectio...ddlebags-black) and they kind of fitted nicely !

Attaching couple of pictures for reference.

The saddle stay

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-saddle_stay.jpg

All decked up with nowhere to go !

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-with_bags.jpg

P.S. I did not strap things up neatly as I just wanted to check whether everything came together or not !
rb2399 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 09:58   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2399 View Post

P.S. I did not strap things up neatly as I just wanted to check whether everything came together or not !
Congrats! It looks like a proper tourer now.

Beware of the added width of the pannier bags - they are behind you and you might accidentally hit something or somebody when trying to squeeze through gaps in traffic.

An example:
Motard_Blr is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 13:27   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb2399 View Post
Couple of updates from my side:

For a man who professes.to travel light, those bags are positively ginormous!

I am trying my best to keep this bike light, which means no racks, no nothing. Just a rear rack when something good comes out so i can mount a pizza box for in town hooliganism. Which can then be removed when going offroad

Meanwhile. Monday morning log in's be like

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20200713_09521401.jpg

Last edited by Red Liner : 13th July 2020 at 13:31.
Red Liner is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th July 2020, 13:35   #281
BHPian

I've no intentions of hitting the trails as you do
Also, the plan is not to stuff those saddle bags till the seams burst out .
One can still travel light by not carrying tons of things in those saddle bags in my opinion !
rb2399 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 08:57   #282
Distinguished - BHPian

https://www.dirtrider.com/story/test...enture-review/

Quote:
I rode the 390 Adventure at the 2020 Big Bear Run AMA National Dual Sport & Adventure Bike Ride on the advanced easy loop that is designed to be ridden on a true dual sport bike like a KTM 350 EXC-F without any issues. If it can withstand that, it’s safe to say that it is certainly built to KTM standards. If you are a novice or entry-level rider and looking for a streetbike that you can commute back and forth to work on every day and still take the back roads to the lake for the weekend, or just feel like you want to hit the dirt and explore, you may want to take a long, hard look at this bike.
The bike is sold out in the North American market. Many have bought this in addition to their 990, 790, to explore trails they wouldn't be able to take their bigger bikes to. Suspension upgrades are a given, and pretty normal and so are wire spoked wheels. I am already half way there...
Red Liner is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 10:33   #283
Senior - BHPian

Now the famed Art of Motorcycles brothers has come out with a spoke conversion.
rakesh_r is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2020, 19:18   #284
BHPian

Some updates from my end on the Quickshifter:
Been slowly getting used to using it. I used to let go of the throttle and upshift, the gear would shift up but the bike would jerk.
Then, having done some more reading, I started shifting with the throttle engaged. Now, the bike didnt jerk and the shifts were smooth.
Then I started using Quickshifter more often.
My verdict: I've become used to it. It works flawlessly. It is such a joy to have Quickshift on an open road.
nutcracker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 09:29   #285
Distinguished - BHPian

The KTM 390 Adventure in stock form, tyres, suspension, et all is a very capable machine.

Red Liner is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks