Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2020, 18:48   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
It's not enough if you simply stand on the pegs. You need to shift weight .
And there's a lot more than this as i keep discovering in classes like these or even on YouTube videos.

The key is to practice, practice, practice.. until these things become muscle memory.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 19:39   #227
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
And there's a lot more than this as i keep discovering in classes like these or even on YouTube videos.

The key is to practice, practice, practice.. until these things become muscle memory.
A question that I had was, how does one manage to keep their feet on the foot pegs when going airborne while executing a jump? I have ridden a Husqvarna TE 300 in Dubai deserts when following an instructor. Whenever, I was airborne when going over some dunes (accidentally that is with no intent to do so) my feet would lift off the foot pegs .

I may be asking something very basic but this happened 3-4 times at least during the 3 hour session. I never managed to have my feet connected to the foot pegs when airborne. I thought my body would just go with the bike without me needing any inputs other than shifting my position. I didn't crash but it felt nervy to not have that feel of being connected.
Old 9th June 2020, 22:56   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghate View Post
A question that I had was, how does one manage to keep their feet on the foot pegs when going airborne while executing a jump?....
You have bend your knees to absorb some of the impact of taking off and landing. Standing with rigid knees is no use. Standing on the foot pegs also allows you to move your body to shift body weight as required to balance the bike. For example, move backwards while going downhill. Move forward while going uphill.
Motard_Blr is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 23:20   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Blr View Post
You have bend your knees to absorb some of the impact of taking off and landing. Standing with rigid knees is no use. Standing on the foot pegs also allows you to move your body to shift body weight as required to balance the bike. For example, move backwards while going downhill. Move forward while going uphill.
Thank you @Motard_Blr
It all makes sense now. I will remember that whenever I get the opportunity next time to try an Enduro or ADV Bike. I just couldn't understand after watching videos and looking for information everywhere how does anyone do that. I was ok with uphill and downhill dunes just some of the dunes caught me unawares, like the surface looks flat but there is a steep descend that is not visible to untrained eyes where I would launch myself in air accidentally.
Old 10th June 2020, 13:01   #230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghate View Post
A question that I had was, how does one manage to keep their feet on the foot pegs when going airborne while executing a jump? I have ridden a Husqvarna TE 300 in Dubai deserts when following an instructor. Whenever, I was airborne when going over some dunes (accidentally that is with no intent to do so) my feet would lift off the foot pegs .

I may be asking something very basic but this happened 3-4 times at least during the 3 hour session. I never managed to have my feet connected to the foot pegs when airborne. I thought my body would just go with the bike without me needing any inputs other than shifting my position. I didn't crash but it felt nervy to not have that feel of being connected.
You have to hold the tank with your knees when you're airborne. Basically lock the fuel tank with your knees and sandwich it and let your feet dangle. Your feet invariably lifts off the pegs, not much can be done about that. Can't go against the laws of physics. While on the way down you will find your feet also coming down to meet the pegs and like motard said keep your knees slightly bent before landing as they work like a secondary suspension.

Watch this YouTube channel called 'Cross training enduro' . Granted some of the things are way too advanced for us but there are other little details that can be transferred to trail or off-road riding in general.

Cheers.

Last edited by nitro.1000bhp : 10th June 2020 at 13:09.
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 09:20   #231
BHPian

Re: KTM 390 Adventure India launch confirmed. Edit: Launched at 2.99 lakh.

Quote:
Gearbox is a bit clunky right out of the dealership. Bike stalled/switched off in traffic in 3rd gear. I had to start her up again in motion.
My 390 Adventure is about 5 days and 850 KMs old. Yesterday on the highway, the motorcycle stalled when I was trying to downshift for a speed breaker. This happened 4 times and also once when I was rolling at around 40 kmph. The instrument cluster was alive and functioning with the "oil pressure warning" light on.

I'll try without QS+ .

Does this get fixed after 1st service with the software update?
TuxDiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 09:29   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxDiesel View Post
My
I'll try without QS+ .

Does this get fixed after 1st service with the software update?
No need to wait for first service. Go to mekhri circle KTM and get the software updates asap. Other places dont have the knack yet for electronic updates.

Congrats and welcome to the Orange camp
Old 14th June 2020, 17:46   #233
BHPian

One of the Indian YouTube vlogger making good use of the ADV 390. The trail looked difficult due to slush but he made it look like cake walk with the bike. But I believe here the rider skill is more than any average Joe.

Last edited by Funny : 14th June 2020 at 17:47.
Funny is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 19:39   #234
BHPian

Quote:
No need to wait for first service. Go to mekhri circle KTM and get the software updates asap. Other places dont have the knack yet for electronic updates.

Congrats and welcome to the Orange camp
Thanks. This is a move from my BS3 Himalayan (infamous first lot bikes). So,
1. I'm very impressed with handling, balance, braking and stability.
2. Suspension is stiff, but very controlled and no nose diving.
3. Throttle control is phenomenal. Very impressed on how finely I can control the fuelling.
4. When I rode it on flat fire road trails, it felt like the bike was struggling. Then I remembered to switch off MTC and it shot off like a rocket .

Update on engine stall/cutoff : Today it happened again at 50kmph with QS switched off. So this could be something unrelated to QS ? I should be taking the bike to the service centre in the next few days. I'll keep this thread updated
TuxDiesel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th June 2020, 19:16   #235
BHPian

After multiple back and forth about which bike to buy (contenders being V-Strom 650, Versys 650 and Adv 390), the uncertain financial outlook has made the decision for me. 390 Adv it is.

Before I move back to India next month have already loaded up on good riding gear and that wormhole got me looking at KTM powerparts. Thinking of picking up a 47T rear sprocket instead of going for the 14T front sprocket, to solve for the low-end torque issue. Are 47T rear sprockets a direct fit? Are there any technicalities I should check on, don't want to end up with an unusable part. Toque is generally a bit high on my requirements of a motorcycle, somewhat spoilt by it on my RE C500.
RabidBull is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2020, 13:27   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidBull View Post
After multiple back and forth about which bike to buy (contenders being V-Strom 650, Versys 650 and Adv 390), the uncertain financial outlook has made the decision for me. 390 Adv it is.

Before I move back to India next month have already loaded up on good riding gear and that wormhole got me looking at KTM powerparts. Thinking of picking up a 47T rear sprocket instead of going for the 14T front sprocket, to solve for the low-end torque issue. Are 47T rear sprockets a direct fit? Are there any technicalities I should check on, don't want to end up with an unusable part. Toque is generally a bit high on my requirements of a motorcycle, somewhat spoilt by it on my RE C500.
As long as the inner pcd of the bolts match the hub you can fit any size sprocket.
Old 17th June 2020, 20:07   #237
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Ah, I knew it was you on ADVRider. Good number of posts there from you on the 390 Adventure thread.

Been looking at this bike - tempted.
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2020, 13:02   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Ah, I knew it was you on ADVRider. Good number of posts there from you on the 390 Adventure thread.

Been looking at this bike - tempted.
Some more tempting and a choice

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img_20200618_120604_976.jpg
Red Liner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st June 2020, 16:16   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

A light duty trail ride with the KTM 390 Adventure and the BMW G310 GS for company.

Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2020, 11:12   #240
BHPian

Hello Adv Owners,

Local accessories are catching up for KTM 390 Adv. Both Adv Tribe
and Zana International has come up with crash & luggage options.

Anyone already ordered them or are interested in them can share their feedback.

Happy exploring,
surjaonwheelz

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks