Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2023, 12:33   #1261
BHPian

Re: The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar3223 View Post
Any reason for the main frame being different from the gen 3 duke? Looks the same in the spy pic.

The new duke frame is really a wonder. Nice and responsive, narrow, provides decent gc of ~180mm while maintaining a really approachable seat height. All this if transferred onto the adv with more 40-50mm gc with increase in suspension travel and seat height(820-840 with the same narrow frame) would result in a potent adv.

Have not ridden the new Himalayan but had a look around in the showroom. For all the advancements and equipments, it definitely has a heft and top heavy nature. As per me, the definitive advantage the old himalayan offered over the adv390 is pricing, torquey low down performance, more pliant low speed suspension and most importantly, an accessible seat height for average Indians that negated the weight disadvantage.

Really opens up the door for KTM to target customers with average build and height to capture the market.
This was the article that mentioned the 390 Adv and its sister Enduro would share a chassis.

https://www.motorrad-magazin.at/moto...3,2,1#LB_24919

It was also quoted on Team BHP previously. However, it seems that they will share the same chassis as the new Duke 390.

https://www.autox.com/news/bike-news...enture-114629/

So who knows, really, until its actually out. But the old Adventure feels weird off-road to me. I drove a 2021 example onto a trail near Nagpur a few months ago, and I did feel better on a Himalayan in terms of stability. But that could be because I'm not an experienced off-road rider. The chassis felt like it could take a beating, but where it annoyed me was footpeg placement, and the fact I felt I'd pitch over the front when I was standing up (I'm 6' 2").

Compared to the new Himalayan, I went and sat on it at Dhone Automobiles in Pimpri-Chinchwad, and it feels top-heavy but pretty nice. Need to test ride it to be sure.
Old 7th December 2023, 12:47   #1262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterChief007 View Post
I have done the test ride on Himalayan and the bike is heavier than the KTM but it was easily maneuverable from the saddle thanks to the seat height being more accessible and thus more traction on your feet (in off road situations), KTM was like dangling a foot from the coconut tree which made me get down and then push around the bike off the saddle.
Oh nice, I am still waiting for a test ride. May I know whats your height and build since you found it manageable? Its definitely more accessible than the current adv390, but the weight at standstill really felt like a lot. Definitely wont be a problem while in motion, but im thinking of solo trail rides on tricky terrains, picking up the bike while alone, parking on a sideway decline etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AulusGabinius View Post
The chassis felt like it could take a beating, but where it annoyed me was footpeg placement, and the fact I felt I'd pitch over the front when I was standing up (I'm 6' 2").

Compared to the new Himalayan, I went and sat on it at Dhone Automobiles in Pimpri-Chinchwad, and it feels top-heavy but pretty nice. Need to test ride it to be sure.
Yes for your height, the saddling stance would be awkward on the current adv due to the handlebar and footpeg triangle.

For me, the issue with the himalayan in the top heavy weight, combined with the footpeg position. What i have observed is that for people in the 165-175cm range, the footpegs foul with either the calves or the shins once the legs are extended towards the floor. People with taller inseam would have their legs far ahead of the footpeg. I also felt that the bike leaned a lot on the side stand compared to adv390/xpulse/old himalayan etc
Old 7th December 2023, 12:50   #1263
BHPian

Quote:
For me, the issue with the himalayan in the top heavy weight, combined with the footpeg position. What i have observed is that for people in the 165-175cm range, the footpegs foul with either the calves or the shins once the legs are extended towards the floor. People with taller inseam would have their legs far ahead of the footpeg. I also felt that the bike leaned a lot on the side stand compared to adv390/xpulse/old himalayan etc
I think I could live with the top-heaviness, but for me my legs (34" in-seam) are long enough that I could waddle with my feet outside the footpeg's length. Personally I feel like if I was going to put my money down for an ADV, the 390 Adv-X with the new chassis and engine would be better for serious off-roading at speed. Lighter to pick up, and faster, but not a lot of low-down torque compared to the Himalayan.
Old 7th December 2023, 13:08   #1264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AulusGabinius View Post
I think I could live with the top-heaviness, but for me my legs (34" in-seam) are long enough that I could waddle with my feet outside the footpeg's length. Personally I feel like if I was going to put my money down for an ADV, the 390 Adv-X with the new chassis and engine would be better for serious off-roading at speed. Lighter to pick up, and faster, but not a lot of low-down torque compared to the Himalayan.
Agreed, a 390x equivalent on the new chassis and engine platform would be an ideal offroader/tourer. Hopefully ktm brings in a polished product. I also fully expect the new hero xpulse 400 to make a dent in the rental space which was previously dominated by the Himalayan. What what ive seen in the spy pics and having ridden the x440, its a nice engine with low rpm torque. Heros also seem to tune their suspension brilliantly and itll surely have accessible dimensions.
Old 10th December 2023, 10:14   #1265
BHPian

As predicted!

The Good: Center Stand, BarkBuster-like Metal hand guards, Wider Mirror sets, Better suspension travel, Projecter LED headlights (I loved the P220 headlights though not LED) sleek as always lighter!

The Bad (for bikers like me): 21-inch skinnier front, Bigger fuel tank at a height, More ground clearance (All likely to compromise the current generation's Duke-like swiftness). No engine guards.

The Ugly: I can't see spoked tubeless tires just yet for those off-road buffs. They have been asking for it for ages. I have a feeling that cruise control might not make it to this version either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Motorrad Magazine has spied the new KTM 390 Adventure getting tested for a 2025 release.

Source

Unlike the current model - the next generation is likely to be more offroad oriented.

Attachment 2540899

Attachment 2540900

Attachment 2540901

Attachment 2540902

Attachment 2540903

Attachment 2540904

Last edited by virajvroom : 10th December 2023 at 10:15.
Old 11th December 2023, 12:37   #1266
BHPian

Blurarmor C30 Bluetooth Intercom

So, I got myself the Blurarmor C30 Bluetooth gadget. Most of my riding buddies use Sena, but I went for Blurarmor. Why? Because we don't ride together much, maybe just once a year. Plus, I take a lot of solo trips from my town to Hyderabad, and the C30 seemed like a good deal for what it offers at its price.

Recently, I took a trip covering more than 300 kilometres with the Blurarmor C30.

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-whatsapp-image-20231211-08.02.18.jpeg

Audio Quality Assessment:

While I cannot directly compare it to Sena or Cardo, given my lack of experience with these brands, I found the C30's music quality to be noteworthy. It may not cater to bass enthusiasts, but the sound is impressively loud and crisp. You can even listen to podcasts without a problem.

Phone Call Performance:

I could easily chat on the phone at 110 km/h, and the person on the other end had no idea I was riding. It's that clear!

Impressive Battery Life:

With my total ride which lasted for 4 hours and 30 minutes, the C30's battery still had 80% left. Throughout the journey, I listened to music about 90% of the time, with only around 30 minutes spent on calls.

Giving Mesh Connectivity a Miss:

I haven't had the chance to test out the mesh connectivity feature yet. It's uncertain when I'll get around to trying it out.

Bluetooth Connection Challenges:

Despite the positive experiences, I encountered issues with Bluetooth connectivity to the app. The Bluetooth connection dropped sometimes. The customer support suggests to clear the app cache and storage, a solution I am yet to test.

Adjusting to Physical Controls:

I'm still getting used to the buttons on the C30. Hopefully, I'll get the hang of it with more use.
Attached Thumbnails
The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-whatsapp-image-20231211-08.02.19.jpeg  

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-whatsapp-image-20231211-08.02.20.jpeg  

bharathdonti is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th December 2023, 10:11   #1267
BHPian

If anyone is looking to order the adjustable front suspension from the SW Variant, here are the part numbers

Left - JG121083
Right - JG121084

I'm just getting it fixed on my ADV-X

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img20231218100441.jpg

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img20231218100509.jpg

Last edited by cataclysm : 18th December 2023 at 10:15.
cataclysm is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 18th December 2023, 13:44   #1268
BHPian

And it's fixed!

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-img20231218101906.jpg

Total damage - 23914 (including 885 labour)

It's plug n play. No modifications required.

Right now I am running it on the comfort setting, with Compression at 17 and Rebound at 20. Too early to comment on anything yet as I've just done about 20 kms.
cataclysm is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th December 2023, 17:07   #1269
BHPian

Quote:
Oh nice, I am still waiting for a test ride. May I know whats your height and build since you found it manageable?
I am around 177 cms, in the Adv 390 I tiptoe so I don't get enough traction when on tricky terrain (not yet developed the habit of sliding to one side and get better traction so that might be the reason). But in Himalayan my heels were just 1 inch or less up, which might get fixed by the riding boots. Also if I get the Himalayan it is not going to be my forever after bike, so I might even swap it with the new Adv 390 3-4 years down the line.
Old 20th December 2023, 12:51   #1270
BHPian

Done Installing the electronic Cruise Control system. I thought it would be a quick video but ended up exceeding 20 minutes! The direction in which TVS is going I didn't want my bike left behind the upcoming BMW 310 GS or the KTM 390 ADV itself.

virajvroom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th December 2023, 13:41   #1271
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by virajvroom View Post
Done Installing the electronic Cruise Control system. I thought it would be a quick video but ended up exceeding 20 minutes! The direction in which TVS is going I didn't want my bike left behind the upcoming BMW 310 GS or the KTM 390 ADV itself.
Could you please write out the cost and where you procured it from amongst other things for those of us who prefer reading here?
Old 20th December 2023, 14:06   #1272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Could you please write out the cost and where you procured it from amongst other things for those of us who prefer reading here?
It's a test unit that Veridian Cruise wanted to test on the India spec KTM 390 Adventure, so I can't attach a cost in India to it just yet. One reason the video is only for people who have been questioning the possibility of having an electronic cruise control on the ride-by-wire motorbikes. OEMs can easily include this feature for a minimal cost.

If you order it from India as an end customer, be ready to spend 40-70% on customs based on the documents you can furnish. Also, I don't want to promote the product just yet since I need to do a long-ride test. You can search the brand online for more details and contact them.

I am not a business guy, but now trying to check options on properly importing the unit to India legally, which should hopefully bring down the customs to ~30%. But I am unsure about the timeline.

Last edited by virajvroom : 20th December 2023 at 14:12.
Old 21st December 2023, 15:47   #1273
BHPian

Hello folks,

I am looking to add some aux lights to my 390 adv with yellow lenses. I find the stock headlight useless during rains. But during the dry conditions I have got them adjusted such that the low beam has adequate throw. High beam is of no help and I just use them as a flasher.

So, as usual I am in the research phase and jumped into a deep rabbit hole. I have kind off narrowed down to a light pair which is rated at 59 watts each unit. These units can be dimmed, so I will not be blinding everywhere and I can use full power on un-occupied trails.

The remaining question is whether the bike and battery can handle this power draw (120 watts) ? if not should I consider getting lower wattage lamps?

As far as I know the 390 adventure comes with 2 accessories points in the front and rear each and with an 15 amp fuse translating to 180 watts capacity (15amp*12V). Is this calculation correct?

Any pointers or experience would be helpful.
Old 21st December 2023, 15:58   #1274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataclysm View Post
And it's fixed!

Attachment 2545473

Total damage - 23914 (including 885 labour)

It's plug n play. No modifications required.

Right now I am running it on the comfort setting, with Compression at 17 and Rebound at 20. Too early to comment on anything yet as I've just done about 20 kms.
Where does the non adjustable suspension of the x as well as std adv sit within the adjustable range of the sw suspension? Can someone significantly reduce the compression?
Old 22nd December 2023, 12:13   #1275
BHPian

An update @ 85K

A ride to Kashmir valley this week and the bike crossed the 85K mark. Hopefully she'll breach 100K during next year

The KTM 390 Adventure Ownership Thread!-pxl_20231222_040605428.mp.jpg

Before leaving for Kashmir, I got the rear suspension upgraded to the adjustable one and it definitely makes a difference. I am now contemplating getting the front one upgraded as well !

Few maintenance items are on the cards:
* cone set bearing replacement
* throttle body cleaning
* fuel injector cleaning

She's been running flawlessly till date & I hope it continues that way !
rb2399 is offline   (16) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks