Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2015, 16:27   #1126
Senior - BHPian

Re: How many bikers in here and what do you ride?

I started riding before hitting my teens. I remember I was 12 years old and struggled to start my uncles' 2 stroke Suzuki Samurai while being on vacation in Kerala. That was the first time I kick started a motorcycle and the feeling of having it started was awesome. I rode it for a couple of Kms on some internal roads to avoid traffic. Although I have ridden many a bikes right from RX100 to Hero Honda CBZ, I was never able to own a motorcycle until I was 26 years old due to family restrictions and finance decisions. It was in 2010 when I bought my first motorcycle, a used 1996 RE Bullet Standard CI 350. It was no looking back after that as I had been bit by the bullet bug and a bad one at that.

Bought my second motorcycle in 2012 which was a 1969 model Type B1 Standard Bullet CI. This was closely followed by buying a 1961 Bullet G2 Engine and gearbox in 2013 to build another vintage motorcycle. Come Feb 2014 I bought a 2004 RE Thunderbird CDI model AVL 350 5 speed for touring. This was again closely followed by test riding and impulsive booking of the Thunderbird 500. I am using this motorcycle exclusively for touring purpose. I wish to transform my Tbird 350 AVL into a Machismo someday. So to summarize: (in order of purchase)
1. 1996 RE Bullet Standard CI 350
2. 1969 RE B1 Bullet Standard CI 350
3. 1961 RE G2 Bullet Engine and Gearbox
4. 2004 RE Thunderbird AVL 350
5. 2014 RE Thunderbird 500

Last edited by navin_v8 : 22nd April 2015 at 16:28.
Old 22nd April 2015, 18:52   #1127
BHPian

When i was a kid, i remember going for night rides on my dad's 1982 Yezdi roadking. But when i was 6, I left India and settled abroad. By the time i returned in 2004, when i was 14, my uncle had sold the Yezdi due to rising petrol prices and was using our 1986 Ind-Suzuki AX 100 which my dad had bought when he was working in bangalore. It was a real pain to start in the mornings and my uncle usually let me start it (meaning using the kicker 8 or 9 times) though my mom gave him strict instruction not to let me anywhere near it. By the time i was preparing for my 10th board exams, I used to make my mom wake me up at 4 am to study. As soon as my mom had gone back to sleep, I would sneak out with the keys, push the bike a good 100 meters or so from the house, and off i would go for a wonderful ride in the early morning mist to Thrissur Railway station for a hot coffee. Would be back home by 5 so as to give the engine sufficient time to cool off completely . This went on for a good 2 weeks, after which my uncle got suspicious of the decreasing mileage and I overheard him telling my dad that he suspected that someone at his office was stealing petrol from the bike. That put a stop to my two wheeler days until i finished college and ended up buying the Unicorn which i still own.My dad sold the AX100 in 2010 for scrap since it started sounding really bad and had turned into a Rust Bucket due to poor maintenance.Also it was still bangalore registered(CKW) and neither my dad or uncle was interested to go through the pain of getting it re registered in kerala. Till this day, i haven't smelt anything as beautiful as that Fuel leaking two stroke Ind-Suzuki did on those cool mornings *Grins*

NOTE FROM T-BHP SUPPORT: Only TWO Smileys allowed per post. Please read the Announcements carefully before proceeding. Thanks.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd April 2015 at 19:21.
Old 22nd April 2015, 20:20   #1128
J.Ravi

I had been dreaming to own a Royal Enfield since 1970s, when I was a teenager. My dream did not become a daydream, but became a reality on 15 April 2013! Earlier, I had owned and sold many two wheelers, Lambretta, Vijay Delux, Priya, Hero Honda CD100 and Suzuki Fiero. I have been enjoying riding my Thunderbird 500 since the last coupla years. Now, my dream is to ride to Ladakh on my Thunderbird 500. Lemme see, when it becomes a reality.

How many bikers in here and what do you ride?-bb1.jpg

How many bikers in here and what do you ride?-bb2.jpg

How many bikers in here and what do you ride?-bb3.jpg

How many bikers in here and what do you ride?-bb4.jpg

How many bikers in here and what do you ride?-bb5.jpg

How many bikers in here and what do you ride?-bb6.jpg

How many bikers in here and what do you ride?-bb7.jpg

How many bikers in here and what do you ride?-bb8.jpg

How many bikers in here and what do you ride?-bb9.jpg

How many bikers in here and what do you ride?-29.jpg
  (8) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 21:16   #1129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Now, my dream is to ride to Ladakh on my Thunderbird 500. Lemme see, when it becomes a reality.

Attachment 1363511
Ravi Sir, you are a true inspiration to all of us. My father, who was always used to chauffeur driven cars never had the need to learn driving until he retired from work a few years ago. All of a sudden, his dependence on me or other drivers in the family increased and it was weighing upon on him. At 65+ he thought he can never manage to learn driving at that age.

A couple of years ago when he visited us, I was showing him your Ladakh travelogues in your Linea. I am sure it was that inspiration that prompted him to learn driving and he is driving on his own now.

I am sure it is not only me, but a whole bunch of youngsters who would be following your posts and taking inspiration from you.
gopikb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 21:51   #1130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I had been dreaming to own a Royal Enfield since 1970s, when I was a teenager.
J.Ravi -
Appears that we were dreaming of Enfields around the same time
Though you got your RE recently,your rides are impressive and your documentation is impeccable!
Cheers!
citron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2015, 21:52   #1131
D4D
BHPian

Ride my humble Discover 100T. Started riding only after I was 18.

Much like Honda's i-VTEC, these Bajaj bikes seem to wake up after dialling up the revs.
Old 22nd April 2015, 22:06   #1132
BHPian

The bikes I rode and sold:
1987 to 1992 - Enfield Bullet 350 - 20K km
1990 to 1996 - Yezdi 250 - 60K km
1996 to 2011 - Enfield Diesel 325 - 150K km
2001 to 2010 - Enfield Bullet 350 - 50K km
2005 to 2014 - Bajaj Discover 125 - 70K km
The bike I ride now:
2014 onwards - Hero Impulse 150 - 9K km

1997 - On the Enfield diesel - with my daughter and friend's kids
Attached Thumbnails
How many bikers in here and what do you ride?-puvidham9798_3small.jpg  

citron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2015, 20:31   #1133

Started riding, when I was in school with my first ride - A silver Kinetic honda. Rode the Kinetic while in Junior College as well.

Got myself a blue colored CBZ (the 1st edition) during my third year of engineering. Had that babe for 3 years and gave it back to my brother, who sold it after using for sometime.

I remember when CBZ was initially launched, and just the first look of bike's styling floored me. Loved that bike and had a great time driving it during my engineering days.

Currently I own a 2010 Karizma R, and am quite satisfied with the bike's handling and stability

My wishlist includes a harley fatboy and a bullet. Hopefully they will be in my stable in coming few months/years.

Posting my karizma's pics.
Attached Thumbnails
How many bikers in here and what do you ride?-64052_457417527520_6925232_n.jpg  

How many bikers in here and what do you ride?-58161_457417797520_4432429_n.jpg  

Old 1st May 2015, 19:22   #1134
BHPian

Well it has been close to 3 years that I have started to learn riding a bike. But like most of us here I chose to ride a bike due to the the fond memories attached since childhood with my dad. However he is a RE enthusiast and I have no interest in it whatsoever.
The bikes that he had;
A used Rajdoot but don't remember of what vintage
1989 - 1999 Bajaj Chetak a simple grey coloured which he later repainted to the Canary Yellow that was introduced in the erstwhile Zen. Gosh it was embarassing!
1994 - 1997 - He also had a maroon Yamaha RX 100 while the Chetak was lying unused. It was fun sitting on the tank with the wind gushing against your face. I wish he never sold it. I wanted that as an heirloom.
1999 - 2006 - Bajaj Caliber - It was one sad and boring bike and made a roaring helicopter kind noise but it served well

He suddenly took the plunge and bought a RE Electra - It was nice to get all the attention and the thumping noise it made. His dreams were short lived and in less than 1.5 years it gave him a lot of troubles. This was the reason I have since disliked REs and have no interest in it whasoever. (No offence to existing owners - it just doesn't suit my smaller frame and taste)
- He frantically switched to a ultra reliable HH Splendor which was borrowed from my uncle. Its still going strong from 2001. But is mostly lying unused and is in a state of disrepair. At home, except for me all members treat bikes and cars as point A to B mode of transport. No pampering and care.
The Splendor being small didn't suit his frame - he switched to a HH Glamour in 2009 and its completed 50,000 kms now which he still rides

I learnt how to ride on the Glamour.
He got me a HH CD Deluxe in 2012 that I used for 17,000 kms and sold it
and now have a Hero Passion X Pro that has covered 8,500 kms in 6 months. It is one decent and stable commuter.

My Dad's desire for a RE 350 or 500 is still not dormant despite the past debacle.

Last edited by ciddharth : 1st May 2015 at 19:25.
Old 1st May 2015, 20:23   #1135
BHPian

I learnt riding in 1991-92 when I was 14 but started riding regularly when I got my first bike in 1996 which was a Yamaha RXG.

It had that terrible issue with the magneto flywheel which I got fixed promptly, even before Yamaha came up with the revised and heavier flywheel. I rode the RXG till 2000.I also had access to 2 RD 350's owned by my brother. He had a 1983 HT model and a 1986 LT model. Both were fun but that HT was out of this world when on open roads. She was properly maintained and performed like a RD 350 should.

In 2000 I bought a 1985 model RD of my own which I rode regularly till 2006.

I am 36 now and I bought a Duke 200 in March of this year and I am relearning the ropes and it has been good so far.

The Duke is my first 4 stroke and its different to say the least. It has tons of engine braking which I am getting used to. The 2 strokes hardly have any engine braking. Its starting to come back slowly but I have started riding after a gap of 9 years.

I wonder how much of the lost skills will I be able to recover? Regardless, I am back to where I belong!
Old 1st May 2015, 20:25   #1136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_P View Post
Started riding, when I was in school with my first ride - A silver Kinetic honda. Rode the Kinetic while in Junior College as well.
Fond memories. My aunt had a Silver Kinetic Honda which I loved riding. It was as reliable as a sunrise and packed a serious punch when on song. Though the rubber band effect was a put off but it was fun. And I could corner the hell out of it!
Yusha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2015, 10:24   #1137

Hi..I have driven bikes starting from Bajaj KB 100 to Hero Honda Ambition to a AVL tuned Machismo to a Hero Honda Hunk.
My current ride is a Kawasaki Ninja 300
Old 4th May 2015, 10:58   #1138
BHPian

2012 - Current Honda Activa
2013 - Current Yamaha YZF-R15
2014 - Current Kawasaki Ninja 650
Old 5th May 2015, 16:32   #1139
BHPian

I started off with my dad's Bajaj Chetak back around 1990 while I was still in school. Yes, that "lean-over, kick, go" machine.

Later on I loved riding a mates Yamaha RX100 for a few weeks, a Shogun for a few months, a Kawazaki something for another couple of months, and Bullet once or twice. But as you can tell, none of these were actually mine. Later on I got to use a Fierro when I was on holidays.

I bought my OWN first bike when I am nearly 34 some four years ago. A 2003 Yamaha Fazer. 600cc. Four inline cylinders. Half fairing. 79 bhp. I have done nearly 50000 kilmeters on this bike (mostly commute, but some around the country).

I also rented out a Fazer 800 (800 cc version) while holidaying in Spain, which arguably has the best motorcycling roads in the world. It was heaven! Pure heaven! Hoping to go back every year and rent and ride there.
Old 6th May 2015, 16:52   #1140
BHPian

From my dad's bajaj Chetak to my own LML Vespa, then upgraded to my Enfield 350, to my brother's Pulsar, I've come full circle back to my old Vespa after all these years. Nothing beats the practicality of this thing.

I'm looking for a Honda Eterno in good condition. I've always felt Honda beat Bajaj at their game. They made a better Bajaj Chetak. I don't like gear less scooters.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks