Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2022, 11:01   #16
BHPian

Re: Ownership Review | 2022 Yamaha Aerox 155 | Racing Blue

This is outstanding. The scoot is the one to go for with that bullet proof R15 engine. I am tempted sir, only thanks to your review.
Wishing you a million miles on the new steed. Have to say that this one looks hot on the road. I saw a monster energy version yesterday and it had the road presence of no other scooter on the road. And finally, something substantial from Yamaha India in quite sometime I have to say. They just woke up from their deep sleep. I hope this is a sign of good things to come. We don't have much time left for electrification and we need these Yamaha beauties here before that !

I see a few imported parts on the scoot. I think this is a case just like the 2008 R15 where most parts were imported and only a few machines were made available to gather market response before mass producing here. I wouldn't be surprised if the Aerox is a CKD unit now, because the Yamaha haven't even tried to get a local battery or tires which suggests that this is a market test before locally manufacturing it in India. I hope I am right here.

Last edited by Xaos636 : 21st March 2022 at 11:05.
Xaos636 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 11:17   #17
BHPian

Hello Crazy Driver,

Thank you for putting up a detailed review of the scooter segment. Though by no means this is a punny machine and hence it would be sacrilige to call it a 'scooter'. Perhaps a more apt product segment name needs to be defined to put in these mean machines.

Last year in the midst of the lockdowns my wife was supposed to be working being in the essential service sector and with no means of transportation available (avoiding public transport ofcourse), we went shopping for a scooter.

With the nation filled with Activas and any scooter always refered as an Activa is similar to every toothpaste being called a Colgate. I nudged my better half to have a look away from the Activa tide and test drove the Yamaha street rally. With 125 cc under the seat and exceptional handling and riding comfort we were blown away. The street rally now sits proudly in our parking having munched almost 3000 kms in the last one year.

On a side note, how would you compare the Aerox with the street rally ? Is it a suitable upgrade ?

Regards
Dieseltuned
Dieseltuned is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 12:28   #18
BHPian

Thanks mate. I have been waiting for a comprehensive Aerox review for months. Really appreciate the effort you put into this review. Enjoy the vehicle and please continue to update this thread with your thoughts and experiences.
PJ1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 12:56   #19
Senior - BHPian

Wow thank you for the review. You made me call the yamaha dealer who had initially sent the brochure and informed me of the vehicle availability to get a test ride.

Your review is more exhaustive, then Yamahas attempt at selling this scooter. Thank you!

I do hear there is a lot of accessories available and modifications which can be made. Planning on any of them? Last i checked - Air filter upgrade, custom exhaust and bigger fuel tank was the info from one youtuber.

Maddy
maddy42 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 13:03   #20
BHPian

Brilliant review. I also had to ride around 120 kms to take delivery. Regarding touring luggage Givi has some good stuff for it. I am getting the rack and top box for it. Should come to around 11k for the entire setup. Also have been trying to see if i can get the smart lock system retrofitted, still no update on it. The pass light switch can be do t and a quick google search points out to a few youtube videos about it. Lets see if its possible. The bike is an attention magnet and many have asked me if its an electric ��. Wishing u manu happy miles ahead.
HYPERTOURER is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 13:35   #21
BHPian

My dealer just informed me that he received the kyb shocks. Anyone wants these I can put you through. He also has a blue Aerox in stock. No affiliation with him he is a very good friend of mine. I am also trying to source some oem Indonesia parts for my Aerox through him, but getting the part numbers is a pain.
HYPERTOURER is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 14:05   #22
Senior - BHPian

Wow, what a review CD! Knocked it out of the park. The pics are just brilliant. Only one thing I'd like to point out, my seat cover is stapled underneath and those two threads/ropes weren't there. Just snip those off and do the needful. The original seat cover the scooter came with has anti-slip treatment/material for the sitting area which this misses. And I agree on the pillion side of the cover being more attractive. Wish Yamaha gives us options. But, Good to have 'one official review'. Will post my bits here. Super congratulations once again.

Last edited by Sebring : 21st March 2022 at 14:09.
Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 16:30   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPERTOURER View Post
My dealer just informed me that he received the kyb shocks. Anyone wants these I can put you through. He also has a blue Aerox in stock. No affiliation with him he is a very good friend of mine. I am also trying to source some oem Indonesia parts for my Aerox through him, but getting the part numbers is a pain.
What type of accessories?
Old 21st March 2022, 16:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant review, makes the Aerox even more special.

Finally someone spoke about the saddle height being relative to the seating position and the lowest part of the seat isn't where one usually sits

Ditto on the perched up position. I usually sit on the bump in the seat of the Access(mid point) and use the rear footrests. Feels nice but forget even tiptoeing

Sad to see that Yamaha haven't changed their mindset about the market being unworthy of "sportier" two wheelers than they provide. Hopefully Aerox's sales makes them rethink and reset.

This blue is special, the first time I saw it was on an R1 in a Yamaha showroom in late 90's. I was awestruck at the the motorcycle and the colour, that memory is still fresh. So was the RXZ.

Good One.
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 19:19   #25
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic review, this seems like a great choice for performance scooter in India. Have seen one on the road the other day and it seems quite big in size when compared to other scooters. I actually thought of cancelling the bike purchase and getting this, but found a good deal on Interceptor. I really want to change the activa 125 which i have right now with this one. Although i have nothing to complain with activa, does its job well. Just a little bit power would be perfect. I would prefer softer rear suspension. Activa is too soft and other scooters like Vespa, Aprillia etc are too stiff. In my case, most of the riding in the city and having a stiff rear suspension really hurts the back, unless roads are good.
Old 21st March 2022, 19:22   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy42 View Post
What type of accessories?
Not accessories but stock parts like rear disk swing arm and wheels. The keyless system and a headlight switch with pass light function.
HYPERTOURER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 20:12   #27
Team-BHP Support

Completed first service at Denz Motors, Trivandrum.

Not a Blue Square dealer, and just 1km away from home. I had visited the place on Saturday and they didn't have the oil needed for Aerox - the SA Mr Kishore got it from a dealership in the nearby district over the weekend and updated me to bring the scooter for service. Much appreciated!

Could see the enthusiasm with the dealer personnel to also get to see the elusive Aerox finally in person. The damage? Rs 488/- (370 for engine oil + 100 for consumables, tax extra)

Couple of pictures with an R15 V4 -

Ownership Review | 2022 Yamaha Aerox 155 | Racing Blue-20220321_195118.jpg

Ownership Review | 2022 Yamaha Aerox 155 | Racing Blue-20220319_115750.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Apparently Yamaha wants showrooms stocking the Aerox to have some blue theme and basic visual standard which would cost approx 30 - 35L, which the dealerships are pushing back on because they don’t find it worthwhile - ergo this standoff.
Exactly. Blue Square dealership concept. Perhaps we should have a separate thread on this! Honda did something similar with BigWing which sounded like a blunder initially, but they really pulled up their socks. Yamaha seems to be asking too much from the dealers to sell just one product, and no clear future lineup is promised.

Neil would have more pictures of the Blue Square dealership format. I just found this blown-up FZ-X fascinating (Probably looks the best in this way! )

Ownership Review | 2022 Yamaha Aerox 155 | Racing Blue-20220305_104656.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos636 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if the Aerox is a CKD unit now, because the Yamaha haven't even tried to get a local battery or tires which suggests that this is a market test before locally manufacturing it in India. I hope I am right here.
Autocar Professional did quote a company statement that said they will bet more on the premium segment, going forward. Hope this is true - "In ASEAN markets and in India, we will target the upper-middle class, which is ex-pected to grow rapidly over the next 10 years, and ramp up our premium segment strategy even more than before to solidify our advantages," the company has stated."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
On a side note, how would you compare the Aerox with the street rally ? Is it a suitable upgrade?
Unfortunately - I haven't ridden the Street Rally yet! So I won't be able to give you an accurate picture. On paper though - you get almost twice the power, more stable 14-inch wheels with much wider tyres, ABS, etc. How about taking a TD?

Quote:
I do hear there is a lot of accessories available and modifications which can be made. Planning on any of them?
As of now- I have only picked up the seat cover and LED flashers. Official accessories are limited - but I might opt for the KYB suspension at a later point. Accessories are available in Thailand and Indonesia - but those will of course cancel the 5-year warranty.

Quote:
My dealer just informed me that he received the kyb shocks.
Is it confirmed that the shocks won't void the warranty? Looks like OHLINS suspension for the Aerox has reached the market too - but those certainly will break the warranty and wallet.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 21st March 2022 at 20:14.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 22:52   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

As of now- I have only picked up the seat cover and LED flashers. Official accessories are limited - but I might opt for the KYB suspension at a later point. Accessories are available in Thailand and Indonesia - but those will of course cancel the 5-year warranty.

Is it confirmed that the shocks won't void the warranty? Looks like OHLINS suspension for the Aerox has reached the market too - but those certainly will break the warranty and wallet.
Ohlins not yet in india. One guy in chennai has put some Malaysian shocks and rebranded them as Ohlins. The kyb since its a dealer install shouldnt void warranty. There is another brand called Racing Boy who has come with the shocks for aerox. Costs around 32 i heard. I want the pass light and the keyless module. Not getting it though.
Old 22nd March 2022, 11:38   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not accessories but stock parts like rear disk swing arm and wheels. The keyless system and a headlight switch with pass light function.
Definitely my phone knows what i read as your instagram video just popped on my feeds.

Thanks and curious if you plan on doing something to make the pillions life climbing the scooter easier?
maddy42 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 13:04   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Definitely my phone knows what i read as your instagram video just popped on my feeds.

Thanks and curious if you plan on doing something to make the pillions life climbing the scooter easier?
That was hilarious. My wife climbs on the zx14r more easily than on the Aerox. So what I do is just bend the bike a bit till she swings a leg over and lift the bike just as she sits. Timing is important though. There is no mounting point for a side step in this so its ruled out unless someone fabricates something, but will definitely protrude because of the air box placement.
HYPERTOURER is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks