Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2023, 05:01   #166
Team-BHP Support

Re: 1800km ride on the Aerox 155 - my findings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAntinspired View Post
This then is a brief summary of a recent touring experience I undertook on my Aerox.
Awesome review. This is indeed really helpful for anyone sitting on the fence on purchasing the Aerox. Btw - which Givi box are you sporting on the Aerox. I was in Rome last month and the number of scooters you see sporting their fancy Givi boxes is incredible. They look super chique with their large windscreens and functional monolock boxes at the back. I loved the look so much I actually remember clicking a pic in one street where almost all the boxes were Givi made. (See pic below).

One can barely see any Aerox on Mumbai roads at least and I happenchance saw one not far from my house while I was running some errands on my N Torq. Immediately chatted up the owner and he was a happy puppy indeed with his purchase. The Aerox definitely has super presence on our roads and I really wish more brands would bring genuine maxi scoot offerings to India.

Happy motoring and the fact that you could comfortably pull off a Bangalore Pune trip on this machine speaks volumes for its abilities. Its a pity Yamaha and its dealers haven’t seen eye to eye on this whole Blue Square strategy, which prevents from more dealerships selling this lovely machine.

Wish you thousands of happy miles on your Aerox.

Ownership Review | 2022 Yamaha Aerox 155 | Racing Blue-68a5d408fa8d45f8a0a84b7a03eea8e1.jpeg

A typical street in Rome. The scooters there look uber chique with their large windscreens and lovely functional top cases. Surprisingly, the number of vintage Vespas and Fiats I saw throughout was also huge - they’re clearly immensely popular in Italy.

Last edited by Axe77 : 10th January 2023 at 05:56.
Axe77 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 10:37   #167
BHPian

Re: Ownership Review | 2022 Yamaha Aerox 155 | Racing Blue

Point and Scoot tool, it definitely is. I got the Aerox for my home minister, but most of the time end up using it. Definitely has a lot of cubby holes for stuff and rather than cry about the centre spine taking up space, I have figured my own way of making it suitable storage area.

Would like to know what GiVi box you have fixed. Looks like something I would like to do to my Aerox as well.

Happy riding!
krishsreedharan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 11:52   #168
BHPian

Re: Ownership Review | 2022 Yamaha Aerox 155 | Racing Blue

Thanks all for the appreciation, complete credit to the scooter for inspiring this experience note. I really didn't expect my journey on it to be this quick and effortless. A lot of it goes down to the ease of that cvt, which essentially makes the entire speed range just one gear, shaving off valuable time and effort over such a duration and distance.

As you may imagine, there would be several anecdotes from such a distance ridden, however two stand out -

There was this Thar between Satara and Hubli, whose driver was getting increasingly exasperated that no matter what the acceleration he put into staying ahead, would get overtaken at the next set of rumble strips or cluster of traffic. After maintaining this effortless lead for over 200 kms, I pulled over to satisfy his urge to lead, as the road ahead would become a two lane when entering hubli.

Between Ranibennur and Chitradurga, the same started happening with a Goa registered Kawasaki z900. This puzzled me no end given the obvious deficit of qualities the Aerox had in any comparison. However, this mystery was thankfully solved when the Kawasaki rider sought me out for a chat when I stopped for refuelling. He had the bad luck on his earlier rides to be chastised for speeding by the new network of highway cameras and being a Goa rider headed to Bangalore, was really worried about further fines accumulating on this stretch. Since I was doing a fair clip, he thought it best to stick close but behind, trusting my riding gear to indicate a seasoned rider. He was almost ready to exchange keys in despair of having to stay within a speed his bike could have done in it's first two gears, and over a short chat, had longing eyes for the gearless convenience of the Aerox as we waved each other away.

Coming to the Givi top box set up. The topbox is held by a rack called the Givi Xtreme top rack, made specially for the 2021/22 Aerox/NMax. The top box itself is also a Givi.
I was looking for one that had a clear handle to hold (vs an integrated lip that many top boxes have as a 'handle'), was not too wide or protruding from the sides, could hold a helmet, didn't have a red reflector (which would clash with the colours of this bike or my others) and could hold a large full helmet. The model that I found suitable to this wishlist is called Givi E300NT2 - with Smoked Reflector.

The top box also came with a top rack, which I fitted on my SF250. Therefore I share 1 top across two bikes, as per use. I bought both topbox and Xtreme rack from BikenBiker Bangalore, at about 7500/- each. I believe I bought the last top rack off the shelf and now it's only on order, with a waiting of a few fortnights. I've seen more than a couple of Aerox in Bangalore with the same rack installed, looks good on all colours of bike.

There are plenty of accessories one hears and sees for the Aerox and I was tempted by the suspension, braking, seat and windscreen mods out there prior to this ride. Post ride however, I seem to have found my purpose and joy out of this scooter in it's factory spec avatar. Honestly, nothing that seemed like a critical upgrade to enjoy the bike while riding in the city, seems critical anymore post it's capability on the highway. I'm anyway old school about tools, believing man has to tune body to machine and not the other way around...burns from a kitchen, callus from tennis racquets, bites from new shoes and new bike ride feel adjustments are all a matter of short term conditioning I would imagine.

To end, here's a pic of the same Givi top box fitted onto my SF250. The rack is what came with the box but the frame to hold it is from a local brand. Cheers!
Ownership Review | 2022 Yamaha Aerox 155 | Racing Blue-20220824_07325301.jpeg
AnAntinspired is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 18:32   #169
BHPian

Quote:
those with ortho chair jobs or long hours seated careers or conditioned to commuting car-rears
Did you know that you've offended 90% on India with this statement ?

Wonderful review BTW. Crisp, clear and on point. That puny fuel tank is a big turnoff for a bike with such potential. The only thing that is stopping me from getting Aerox is the single channel ABS. I've had a couple of pretty bad accidents due to the lack of ABS. God promise !! None of them were my mistakes. Waiting for an update from either Yamaha or a reliable aftermarket mod shops.
TorqueSteer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 19:38   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueSteer View Post
Did you know that you've offended 90% on India with this statement ?
I’d imagine this forum would only have those wanting to trade those office seats for riding/driving ones in a jiffy, so no offence meant!

I had similar concerns on the fuel range but it tied in nicely with the right distance covered (about 120-140kms non stop) to land feet to earth and stretch while refuelling. The only catch, as I mentioned, is to be on highways with ample fuel supply within that distance, which all our interstate highways are, atleast up south.

Regarding ABS, step in, the waters fine. I’ve had 2 single channel amongst my recent metal birds, and single channel works well to hard stop. Additionally, if one follows the right braking style generally endorsed by riders - I believe 70/80 percent front applied before pressing the rear, and I’ve not even had a skid irrespective of emergency.

I don't expect this clarification to get you off the fence of past induced concerns, but if it helps, I'm no Reflex Jackson or rider Rossi still single ABS + average Joe rider me = no worries! As a consolation, apparently the whole bike is filled with parts made of ABS (plastic)

Last edited by Axe77 : 10th January 2023 at 20:57. Reason: Minor typos.
AnAntinspired is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 22:31   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Fuel economy - Thank god this scooter has fairly accurate display metrics for this one! There were several heart in mouth moments where I would pass a pump for being inconveniently off the road, only to encounter tens of kilometers without a next one and my guage indicator asking me why the hell wasn't I refueling. My best mileage was 40 kmpl, my worst was 31 kmpl. I was consistently between 85 to 110, almost all the time when unfettered. Slowing down was for obvious purposes, so this is the mileage from the above pattern of riding. No complaints on the figures but surely the tank could have been bigger.
Beautiful review this is !

Varun Painter from PowerDrift has upgraded the fuel tank (8L now) and rear suspension with preload and rebound adjustability. With the added capacity you can ride 90-95kms more which is really good if you have plans to tour more on this. The upgraded suspension is also reportedly better than the stock setup.
You may get in touch with https://www.instagram.com/hyper.tourer/ for mods for your Aerox.
Ride on !

Last edited by Yash390 : 10th January 2023 at 22:33.
Yash390 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 23:55   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yash390 View Post
You may get in touch with https://www.instagram.com/hyper.tourer/ for mods for your Aerox.
Ride on !
Thanks Yash, for appreciating and the tip. Hypertourer has been active and informative on this forum too and I did reach out prior to this trip to check, as I would be passing through Belgaum where he is based. Unfortunately he didn't have any part at all with him on that day, which turned out just as well. As mentioned in my review and responses above, this long ride not just helped make my peace with the factory specs but also felt easy to adjust to and suitable for my riding style.
AnAntinspired is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 11:34   #173
Senior - BHPian

This tank upgrade wasn't possible for a few guys who imported it (Even BULU). Few bloggers had posted online
Quote:

Last edited by Axe77 : 15th January 2023 at 11:40. Reason: Minor typo.
Old 15th January 2023, 10:01   #174
BHPian

Quote:

Varun Painter from PowerDrift has upgraded the fuel tank (8L now) and rear suspension with preload and rebound adjustability. With the added capacity you can ride 90-95kms more which is really good if you have plans to tour more on this. The upgraded suspension is also reportedly better than the stock setup.
Ride on !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
This tank upgrade wasn't possible for a few guys who imported it (Even BULU). Few bloogers had posted online
Hypertourer for you and yes there is quite a lot going on the aerox now. I’m getting a big bore 250cc soon with all other child parts included.

@sebring the people who couldnt fit it is because if you look closely they have the tank that was meant for the older generation aerox. Its a bit long and even I had got a few tanks but did manage to fit them. The new generation aerox 2021 tanks are available only recently.

Last edited by Axe77 : 15th January 2023 at 11:39. Reason: u —> “you”. No SMS language please. Thank you.
HYPERTOURER is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 13:58   #175
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Thanks for the wonderful long trip experience and your take on it! I have booked Aerox and taking delivery tomorrow! Your report cleared quite a few doubts I had!

Quote:
Am I the first post this year here on this scooter? Surprising, given the capability of this new profile of two wheeler to give memorable experiences when taken to streets. This then is a brief summary of a recent touring experience I undertook on my Aerox.
Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Last edited by Axe77 : 17th January 2023 at 14:24. Reason: Trimming quoted text + minor typo
sunilarkt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 20:21   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Fuel economy My best mileage was 40 kmpl, my worst was 31 kmpl. I was consistently between 85 to 110, almost all the time when unfettered. Slowing down was for obvious purposes, so this is the mileage from the above pattern of riding. No complaints on the figures but surely the tank could have been bigger.
What is the full tank range assuming your average driving?
Old 19th January 2023, 01:08   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
What is the full tank range assuming your average driving?
Hi. Let me describe the numbers from this experience to the best of my recall.

In every hour i would be at steady speeds of 85-95 for about 30 minutes, 100 -115 for about 15 minutes and 15 minutes of slower speeds to accommodate road situations. In this manner I was covering an average of 75- 80 kms per hour across the entire ride (including refuelling stops)

My total range with this driving style was, the fuel reserve blinker would come on at about 120kms (i believe the reserve to be about 1.2 l in a tank of total capacity around 5.5l?) and I would definitely look to refuel before reaching 140.

That was in terms of distance. In terms of time this distance would be between 1 hour 30 minutes to 1 hour 45 minutes. That was, as I had mentioned in the review, the right duration for me to stretch after non stop riding, coinciding with fuel halt.

This also because I was aiming to cover 600kms on day one, 750 kms on day 2 and 550+ on day 3, so with greater fatigue the frequent stops were welcome.

Let me also offer my other local small ride experience, from Bangalore to Coorg, in similar metrics so you get an alternative perspective of tank range/time.

This journey, thanks to a fairly crowded highway throughout, took me 5.5 hours to cover 260kms (one way). I had a pillion, rode to break in the scooter, and had fun even at the much slower overall average speed of maybe 55-65 kmph (there were fewer sorties to speed above even 80 kmph as I was breaking the bike in, plus it was raining heavily throughout)

In this trip, my tank range was that the reserve blinker came on at about 160kms and I could go upto 180-185 before a refill. I did the entire trip, to and fro in 3 fuel fill ups. One at start, one just short of reaching, and then just once during return, reaching home with reserve just starting to blink.

Here, as u may infer from the numbers, I rode about 3 hours non stop before refuelling.

In cities, I believe it's a consistent 40kmpl. Hope this answers the question and a bit more to be useful for potential touring by anyone here. Cheers

Last edited by AnAntinspired : 19th January 2023 at 01:10. Reason: Typos
AnAntinspired is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th February 2023, 14:45   #178
BHPian

Quote:
My total range with this driving style was, the fuel reserve blinker would come on at about 120kms (i believe the reserve to be about 1.2 l in a tank of total capacity around 5.5l?) and I would definitely look to refuel before reaching 140.
Thanks for valuable feedback regarding the highway performance of Aerox.

I noticed Yamaha using semi synthetic 10w40 on my Aerox during servicing (2nd Free Service, @ 2200kms).

Considering the high speed runs, is semi synthetic or fully synthetic oil recommended for this purpose? Given my non tech background, what are the pros and cons of using fully synthetic vs semi synthetic oil on Aerox? If I change the oil from FNG, would it invalidate the warranty?

Thanks,
A
Old 7th February 2023, 17:23   #179
Senior - BHPian

I asked them to use Fully synthetic oil which they use on their high end bikes. Engine is silky smooth
Quote:
Originally Posted by minzanurag View Post
I noticed Yamaha using semi synthetic 10w40 on my Aerox during servicing (2nd Free Service, @ 2200kms).
Old 7th February 2023, 19:06   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I asked them to use Fully synthetic oil which they use on their high end bikes. Engine is silky smooth
Thanks Sebring. Any recommendation or should the Yamalube Sporty Premium 10w40 be good for the purpose?.

Regards,
A

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks