Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2022, 07:35   #151
BHPian

Re: Ownership Review | 2022 Yamaha Aerox 155 | Racing Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HYPERTOURER View Post
Here’s a short video of what cvt mods i have done on the aerox. Still lots of things to be done.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CktHa...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Done with help from asc?
Old 2nd December 2022, 13:16   #152
BHPian

Quote:
It wont be coming ever. Tried everything but no use. Yamaha india wont listen.
This is surprising considering that they were actively calling owners to test drive a undisclosed suspension setup few months back. I think even this thread has information regarding the same. Wonder what made them stop the development.
Old 2nd December 2022, 13:26   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VishJ View Post
This is surprising considering that they were actively calling owners to test drive an undisclosed suspension setup few months back. Wonder what made them stop the development.
It could be because the Aerox is not setting the sales charts on fire and Yamaha does not want to invest any more time and money on this product. It’s been so many months since it’s launched but hardly see any Aerox on Mumbai roads. I have seen only one so far.

Cheers
Old 2nd December 2022, 14:45   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
It could be because the Aerox is not setting the sales charts on fire and Yamaha does not want to invest any more time and money on this product. It’s been so many months since it’s launched but hardly see any Aerox on Mumbai roads. I have seen only one so far.

Cheers
Really?

From what I have seen it's decently popular scooter, I personally know 3 people who have bought it, and have seen plenty more on the roads. Well probably because I live in hilly area where people appreciate more power and torque than mileage.
Old 3rd December 2022, 09:52   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post

Cheers
Until recently mumbai didn’t have a dealer and people were charging close to 30 thousand extra for bikes sold in mumbai. That’s the reason why mumbai has less bikes.
HYPERTOURER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2022, 11:24   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Until recently mumbai didn’t have a dealer and people were charging close to 30 thousand extra for bikes sold in mumbai. That’s the reason why mumbai has less bikes.
True. There was none in Navi Mumbai - but now, there is a new Blue Square dealer in Nerul and they have Aerox in ready stock. Quoted 1.75 lakh on road. Holding back till Yamaha comes up with a suspension update and hopefully, a larger fuel tank too to support my longish (35km one way) daily commute.
achats is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2022, 23:21   #157
BANNED

Is there a way to disable the sensor that can leave the battery drained in an Aerox which had been left parked for a few days in a row? Our daily running is low at times and I want to avoid battery drain.

I am not using the app but am worried that it might be left passively enabled sapping the battery.
Old 19th December 2022, 00:24   #158
Team-BHP Support

I recently saw a Blue Square dealership in Chembur as well. Hopefully as more of these trickle in we’ll see more Aerox on Mumbai roads. The principal issue was lack of Blue Square dealerships - or more particularly - an unwillingness by Mumbai dealers to make the investments required for a Blue Square dealership.
Old 19th December 2022, 08:40   #159
BANNED

I opened the fusebox with the screw driver provided under the seat towards the front end, hidden behind the rump which embraces the contour of the helmet. I had to remove only two screws but unscrewed four by mistake.

I was surprised to find a tool that I took to be the OBD scanner strapped under the cover of the battery.

I opened the fuse boxes and removed a 7.5 fuse that was marked 'Backup'. I read online that the backup fuse is the one that is used to bypass what it powers from being cutoff by the ignition key when the key is turned off. I hope this stops the GPS sensors from running in the background draining the battery.

I started the scooter checked the lights, horn and the turn signals and they were working.

Any suggestion/observations in this regard are welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Ownership Review | 2022 Yamaha Aerox 155 | Racing Blue-screenshot_202212190833032.png  

Ownership Review | 2022 Yamaha Aerox 155 | Racing Blue-screenshot_202212190833382.png  

Ownership Review | 2022 Yamaha Aerox 155 | Racing Blue-screenshot_202212190833242.png  

Ownership Review | 2022 Yamaha Aerox 155 | Racing Blue-screenshot_202212190833312.png  

Attached Images

COMMUTER is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2022, 11:48   #160
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
Any suggestion/observations in this regard are welcome.
My battery died on me today morning after a week of no use. Died as in - not even the console was turning on, and even my Bosch battery charger failed to detect it.

Gave the battery for charging at the dealership now. Will get the module removed afterwards. No use of it anyways.

Ownership Review | 2022 Yamaha Aerox 155 | Racing Blue-20221227_110510.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th December 2022, 14:06   #161
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Will get the module removed afterwards. No use of it anyways.

Attachment 2394661
Try removing the backup fuse and check for discharge.

The only downside of this is that the clock will get reset everytime we turn the ignition off.
COMMUTER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2022, 06:55   #162
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
Try removing the backup fuse and check for discharge.

The only downside of this is that the clock will get reset everytime we turn the ignition off.
Why not remove the communication module instead? Any downsides to that approach? I don't use the app at all anymore!

That's the OBD scanner like item you identified above.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2022, 08:54   #163
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Why not remove the communication module instead? Any downsides to that approach? I don't use the app at all anymore!

That's the OBD scanner like item you identified above.
I do plan to remove and store it separately just for avoiding pilferage during service. But I don't think it would stop the battery drain as it wasn't connected to the circuit at all.
COMMUTER is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 11:32   #164
BHPian

1800km ride on the Aerox 155 - my findings!

Am I the first post this year here on this scooter? Surprising, given the capability of this new profile of two wheeler to give memorable experiences when taken to streets. This then is a brief summary of a recent touring experience I undertook on my Aerox.

I just finished an impulsive 1800km round trip on the Aerox over 3 days, from Jan 5th to 7th, from Bangalore to Pune and back with errand pit stops en route in Belgaum and Kohlapur. I didn't have this bike until a month ago. Here's how it all unfolded.

Reason to buy? - purely just GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome).

Reason to ride? - A lack of any actual long distance riding experiences on Youtube, Google or here, with a few 100km stretches being called long ride reviews made me reach for these keys amidst my more capable motorcycles. I’d heard and read quite a bit of criticism towards its touring capability. The scooter's cubic capacity being dismissed as boring for highways, fuel economy as a hindrance, ride quality as harsh, ground clearance as risky, wind buffeting as intrusive...and so on. When work presented an opportunity to head far, on a road I knew, I thought I'd learn about the Aerox's proper long distance ability first hand.

Here is a quick summary of my experience with points made about each aspect of the scooter, as my measurable experience post this ride. I hope it's useful for those who own this machine or are considering it for being purposeful for highways.

Distance covered - about 1800 kms
Dates, Destinations and timing -
5th Jan
Bangalore to Belgaum. Left at 2 pm reached at 10.40pm with 2 tea breaks and 4 fuel refill stops.
6th Jan
Belgaum to Pune. Left at 8am reached at 1pm with only 1 tea break and 4 fuel stops.
Same day Left Pune at 4 pm and rode back to Hubli, reached by 12pm with 3 tea breaks and 4 fuel stops.
7th Jan
Hubli to Bangalore. Left at 12, reached by 630. 2 tea breaks, 4 fuel stops.

Average speeds - 85 to 95kmph. When road allows it, for brief stretches 100kmph can be easily breached and sustained. What's fun is one is always 10kms faster than what is expected by turn of throttle or time from when last glanced at speedo. This is a quick scooter for sure!

My dimensions - 46 years in age. 5'10" in height. 84 kilos in weight.

Luggage carried - as I was only going for 2 nights/3 days, I had all my luggage in a Givi top box mounted on a Givi rear rack. About 10 kilos of luggage in all, given some emergency provisions and a DSLR.

Riding style - i don't stop to eat when riding, dry fruits in the pocket to pop thru helmet and water in a hydra backpack via pipe keep me going refreshed. I try to combine loo break, coffee/tea with refuelling, and look for pumps clustered to offer this combined facility.

Motorcycles of the past 3 years I ride on - To make you understand the spectrum of my experience and point of perspective, here is what iv ridden on this same route even, the past 3 years - Mojo, GS310, Highness, Intruder, Svartpilen, SF250.

Now to offer my assessment of the scooter across it's capabilities-

Ride quality - the so-called Achilles heel. Yes, it's stiff, but I ride a drop handlebar road cycle with a zero flex seat stem and no suspension in the city so for me, this seat is cushy and the ride, while firm enough for great feedback, doesn't become uncomfortable. I can understand for those with ortho chair jobs or long hours seated careers or conditioned to commuting car-rears, ride complaints would be butt obvious, pun intended. During my ride I discovered that going fast over road patches and undulations actually reduced the impact to the rear and the stiff suspension was a boon as there was no flex, bounce or wallowing that transferred to the spine/lower back on undulating, wavy patches.

Handling - Top points here, and I think opinion on this would be undivided across anyone who rides this. Ghat bends or long sweepers on the highway, this goes where you point it, no deviation from holding it's line.

Stability - my biggest worry prior to the ride was this. Would the bulgy fibre body make it flap around at high speeds. Would it's light weight cause it to waver and shift lane? Will the low overall silhouette of vehicle be disbalanced by my upper body weight and loaded top box?
I'm happy to report, that this bike was as stable as the best of my earlier rides on this highway. There was zero turbulence from heavy vehicles rushing past or the famed crosswinds that operate the Chitradurga windmills. I didn't have a moment of concern even during quick lane changes over 100.

Windblast - surprisingly next to nil. January sun on this highway can be surprisingly harsh, and I enjoyed the wind keeping me cool through my mesh jacket, not once being buffeted into discomfort by the wind. Its also to be noted that this scooter keeps the wind completely away from feet, legs and lower body thanks to it's faired construction.

Ride feel/Performance - it's tough to be objective about this one when all that springs to mind in recall feels effusive. I’ve been riding 25 years on highways across India on assorted cc and styles of motorcycles bur even if I take just the current motorcycles I’ve owned across the past 3 years, this comes out tops in ride feel. Instantly responsive to a twist of the hand, with just nothing else to do but enjoy the ride, is a level of convenience that shaves off valuable seconds of activity from the 'process of riding' and shifts it to the 'pleasure of riding'. The way I was able to find gaps, overtake, deaccelerate and accelerate, were all such fun, that it truly felt thrilling to do so little and yet get so much out of it. To repeat, I was always surprised at the speed I was at each time I glanced at the speedo, the stability and ease to get there belying the speed I was at. As a parting point to this category I'd like to mention a thought that kept reoccurring - I never seemed to reach the limit of this scooter, where it gasped for performance. Each time I pulled back or stayed at a speed, it was for either road condition, speed limit or varying concentration. Kudos to VVA for delivering such an eager performance and feel.

Uphill performance - Agreed no himalayas, but over the mild western ghats I crossed en route, there was no change to performance described above.

Fuel economy - Thank god this scooter has fairly accurate display metrics for this one! There were several heart in mouth moments where I would pass a pump for being inconveniently off the road, only to encounter tens of kilometers without a next one and my guage indicator asking me why the hell wasn't I refueling. My best mileage was 40 kmpl, my worst was 31 kmpl. I was consistently between 85 to 110, almost all the time when unfettered. Slowing down was for obvious purposes, so this is the mileage from the above pattern of riding. No complaints on the figures but surely the tank could have been bigger. However, it took away less than 5 minutes each time to identify a pump without any queue and swing into it, flip that conveniently located flap and ask for 500 ka fuel, a note I kept ready to quickly hand over in my upper jacket pocket. I actually found the coincidence of ATMs dispensing 500 notes, the price of fuel in India today and the 4 5 - 5 litre refueling I did, to be a happy, convenient reason I could speed in and out of pumps in minimal time.

Ergonomics - The two most relaxed parts of me were my hands and legs, enhanced by having nothing much to do with the controls and being in positions that offered leeway for change and little to no stress. I could not see how the central spine of the Aerox was any different in feel for feet compared to a scooter with no floorboard, as my knee position kept me from gripping the spine in any way or measure. I could vary my feet position forward or rear by about 6 inches, enough to keep me comfortable the entire way. The seat however, angled me such that I could not move much front or back on it, which over a long duration caused ample pinprick sensation to the rear. However, a fuel stop would arise and I would only need to stand up once to be comfortable again. No lower back or spine effects from this ride whatsoever. I did not find my knees fouling with the front apron even while braking hard, something that most reviews I'd seen, keep harping on.

Rough road abilities- The stiff ride of the Aerox actually helped iron out mild rumble strips, cracks and blemishes on the Aerox especially when going faster, by skipping over them instead of wallowing in and out. Your mileage may vary based on your weight and riding style. However I found the Aerox very unsettled on a jungle track of 4 kms I needed to run an errand on, with the effect of pebbles and stones below the wheel making the ride nervous and unsettled. What was really worrisome was when coming downhill, at an angle of above 20 degrees descent, the rough track took the scooter out of it's line very rapidly and the gearless nature meant it picked up speed on it's own while doing so. Applying the brake to restrain it, only means the front ABS kicks back by releasing the brake when the wheel skids, so it ends up feeling like you have no comfort or control in mind or hand. In all, NOT a scooter for off roading. However, the way I got past this was by saddling, a picture of which I’ll include below. One can saddle, atleast at my height, and I didn't find it challenging me unduly. Another positive of the Aerox's suspension emerged here - with just 145mm of ground clearance I was sure this would touch many obstacles such a ride would have, but amazingly not ONCE did it touch anywhere. Any speedbreaker, at unseen speeds, and all rough roads, were crossed without even a hint of a touch. After a point I even stopped thinking of the underbody when encountering road disturbances.

Controls and Electronics - My main gripe with this scooter emerges here, thanks to much of my riding being at night. Who the hell does away with the high beam flasher? Instead, there is a stupid infometric menu switch in that place! Really Yamaha? I want to signal an opposite truck in the wrong lane to get back to his and end up seeing my real-time mileage instead. My only back up in such emergencies. An equally ineffective horn!! Apart from these two bah's all else was par for the course. The headlight too was not as insufficient as made out to be, and maybe if one is spoilt by aux lights then there's no going back. However, I found it as good or bad as my motorcycles and my riding style is used to a way of staying safe on night rides, so the Aerox headlight did enough to aid that.

Luggage ability - 10/10. I have never had a two wheeler that could pack away so much within and around it. Extra spacious underseat, that fantastic Givi top box and a natural body to hold saddle bags means the Aerox is really practical to packing in a lot. Apart from all that, one can keep a bag of substantial space between the feet, as the floor it rests is raised up by that spine, thus balancing that bag between the knees.

Desirability - By this I mean two things. How desirable is this scooter to me, measured by whether I turn back to look at it after parking each time, and how long I would keep it, given I rotate my vehicles each year. The first one I can answer immediately to myself - I didn't look at it too much anywhere I parked, nor was I inclined to taking pictures of it in assorted dramatic highway landscapes. Even though my scooter is in arguably it's loudest colours, orange wheels etc, I still found it's modern silhouette aka Dio styled looks, to be not as endearing to my retro favouring sensibilities. There was good curiosity out there though about the scooter, but my guage is that this is a fairly under the radar looker which doesn't turn heads for style. Since that has no implication on reasons I keep or sell my bikes, the second aspect, of how long this will stay with me, is still open to experiences ahead.

With that I come to the last aspect I can recall to narrate from my ride.

What is this scooter good for?
This is purely a personal opinion and your mileage will vary from the sum of your lifestyle. For me, post this comprehensive ride experience, the Aerox appears to be great for - Solo airport runs where I park there for fly out n back day work trips. Solo short rides within 300 to 400 kilometers. Solo trips for errands that require me to bring back or ferry goods, thanks to that cavernous luggage capability.

The Aerox will not be used for pillion duties. No one who has sat behind has expressed comfort both getting on or during the ride. It will definitely be a highway scooter but I will have to ensure the road condition involves no mud/gravel and has enough fuel pumps. For all these pros and cons i see the Aerox being a great intercity ride for within states or even inter state. For the hot summers, when every effort can drain a rider, the value of not having to focus on clutch, gears, foot controls etc of motorbikes, will be immensely useful in relaxing the rider. For the monsoons, the Aerox will be ever prepared with all the raingear in it's underseat storage, and keeping some splashes away with it's bodystyle and fairing. So hey, the Aerox is turning out to have a few aces for every reason and season. If this post is useful in helping you explore the scooter you have or convert thought to purchase, then do know that the purpose of writing it is to help with how it fares when outside it's obvious scope of usage. Obviously, as a city commuter it's a point and scoot tool like no other!

Attaching some pictures of no specific order or significance except to showcase that I undertook the ride.

Happy motoring and year ahead!

Ownership Review | 2022 Yamaha Aerox 155 | Racing Blue-20230102_16570301.jpeg

Ownership Review | 2022 Yamaha Aerox 155 | Racing Blue-20230102_17522201.jpeg

Ownership Review | 2022 Yamaha Aerox 155 | Racing Blue-20230103_09512801.jpeg

Ownership Review | 2022 Yamaha Aerox 155 | Racing Blue-20230104_17212701.jpeg

Last edited by Axe77 : 10th January 2023 at 04:48. Reason: Fantastic review. Some minor formatting to improve readability.
AnAntinspired is offline   (60) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 20:31   #165
BHPian

That's a wonderful review. I've been delighted and frustrated in equal measure with this. I've done a couple of 400 km rides on superb highways and it's been a revelation, the stiff suspension helps it enormously in my opinion. On the other hand, the moon crater like landscape of Bangalore roads has meant that I avoid it at every opportunity and pick the other rides. At one time I was frustrated enough to consider selling it, but it got no interest at all. So, I made peace and grin and bear it on my city commutes.

Though I have a new 450X coming along and the Highness is more enticing on virtually every kind of highway run, so I can't say what my usage is going to be in the future.
jaganm is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks