Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2022, 15:21   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX, now launched at Rs. 2.12 lakhs

Yay!!! Now that's something I really like. Well done Suzuki

I was hoping for an adv from TVS which doesn't look like happening anytime soon. But this came in as a pleasant surprise. I can't find a flaw in this offering for my needs. Himalayan/Yezdi adv are too heavy for me and ktm 250 adv is too tall. This should be the sweet spot. Hope to get a TD soon

Last edited by SoumenD : 7th April 2022 at 15:23.
SoumenD is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 16:19   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_rdr View Post
This is probably a typographical mistake on the website. The KTM adv has taller suspension than the duke and it has lower GC than this VStrom SX.

Suzuki Motorcycles India doesn't seem to want to spend money to get top quality marketing.

I don't think the alloys are a bad thing because Suzuki puts some tough stuff on. I've taken my 12 year old 72,000 rupee GS150R offroad a zillion times, had a lot of antics with it and crashed it a few times as well. After a lot of bashing about, the plastics are breaking at the mounting points, the rear suspension gave up, levers broke, exhaust dented, handlebar bent, but the alloys have held up immaculately.
It's mentioned as 120mm travel in the brochure as well. So it's confirmed news. Even the Benelli trk 251 ADV has similar suspension travel.

Yes Alloys are usually fine but if the trail has rocks you can clip the alloy and bend the rim. Once the rim is bent you have to tow your bike home. With tube tyres that's not a problem. But yes this isn't a hard core off road bike like the Xpulse so alloys are fine.
bf1983 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 16:39   #33
BHPian

How and why is this called a V Strom, with a single cylinder engine?
rhsakarp is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 18:00   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post
It's mentioned as 120mm travel in the brochure as well. So it's confirmed news. Even the Benelli trk 251 ADV has similar suspension travel.
I hope you're wrong but it looks like you're right. Comparing the chassis picture of the Vstrom on the website\brochure to the Gixxer, it does look like it's the same suspension length. So much for it being "generous" as per the marketing literature.

Quote:
Yes Alloys are usually fine but if the trail has rocks you can clip the alloy and bend the rim. Once the rim is bent you have to tow your bike home. With tube tyres that's not a problem. But yes this isn't a hard core off road bike like the Xpulse so alloys are fine.
From what I've seen and experienced, there's alloys and there's Suzuki-spec alloys.

I've taken my GS150R over a lot of rocky, bumpy surfaces, sometimes at speeds enough to overwhelm the suspension and put me in trouble. I've jumped it a few dozen times as well (not like huge MX jumps, but a few feet over road humps and natural dirt ramps and things like that). At some point, I was even actively trying to break my bike. The wheels have taken all that in their stride. But touch wood, right now, I'd like them to last for a few more years of such riding.

There's videos of a Japanese rider bashing his Gixxer250 SF with stock rims on MX, endurocross, and rally courses. No idea how long they'll last that way but no doubt Suzuki overengineered the spec for these rims.

Not saying they're unbreakable, but my guess is, you'd have to have a big crash into a tree or a boulder, or go into a nasty pothole at speed or something to break these. The bike is costlier than the base Gixxer by 35,000 rupees after all. I'm sure some of that money went into strengthening the rims and frame even further. But time will tell I suppose.
drt_rdr is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 18:00   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhsakarp View Post
It's just a name. Even the international V Storm is based on a parallel twin engine and not a V Twin.
bf1983 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 18:05   #36
BHPian

Nice one. I think they should consider offering a ‘rally upgrade’ package with some decent suspension and tyres and bits. That would make quite a nicely rounded product that’ll make both the Hero Xpulse and KTM 250 Adv a little more insecure. As such, for just 30-40k more you get a huge suspension upgrade with the KTM, apart from the KTMness of it of course (if you prefer that sort of thing).
RT13 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 18:59   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT13 View Post
Nice one. I think they should consider offering a ‘rally upgrade’ package with some decent suspension and tyres and bits.
I highly doubt so. Even the internationally available KTM rally kit didn’t see the daylight here. To be honest, it was really surprising what Hero has done with Xpulse.
Also, YSS front suspension kit will cost around ~₹20k-30k(speculation based on their present lineup).

But yes, it seems that all these companies are only aiming at 90% tarmac usage, with 10% soft off-roading. They want an all rounder to perform great in city, good on highway, and with enough grunt to cross a bad patch one encounters occasionally. And since ‘ADVs’ are hot these days, the new avatars are wearing the ADV badges.
NTab is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 19:13   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTab View Post
I highly doubt so. Even the internationally available KTM rally kit didn’t see the daylight here. To be honest, it was really surprising what Hero has done with Xpulse.
Also, YSS front suspension kit will cost around ~₹20k-30k(speculation based on their present lineup).
Pricing from OEMs can always be better as opposed to AM. But yes I agree, I don’t think there’s a snowball’s chance in hell they will. Pity though.
Old 7th April 2022, 19:24   #39
BHPian

But seriously how do Japanese companies keep their product development and testing a secret is beyond me, same with Honda we didnt hear a peep until the CB350 was launched and now this with V-Storm SX.

Can anyone share some light on it?
Black_Star is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 19:30   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Star View Post
But seriously how do Japanese companies keep their product development and testing a secret is beyond me, same with Honda we didnt hear a peep until the CB350 was launched and now this with V-Storm SX.
I personally prefer this rather than waiting endlessly. Example Xpulse 250/300

Another marketing video with details:

SoumenD is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 19:34   #41
BHPian

@Black_Star: Some products get developed in other similar markets like Latin America, Indonesia and are brought over, like the FZ25 and MT15. And even if some are developed in India, they might undergo the testing phase elsewhere with similar road and weather conditions like Sri Lanka or or our neighbours up north? Even the ad for the VStrom was supposedly shot abroad according to the disclaimer at the bottom of the video.

Suzuki's scooters have been caught testing on our roads. So, it's not like they don't test their products here. I guess they're selective about it.

Last edited by drt_rdr : 7th April 2022 at 19:36.
drt_rdr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 20:20   #42
BHPian

Just 120 mm front suspension travel? Is it a typo or there is any specific reason for same. Other ADVs have 170 mm or higher. Yeszi and RE have 200 mm of suspension travel. Isn't this supposed to be an off roader. My understanding is that ADV/off roaders usually have a longer front suspension travel compared to faired and naked siblings. Even X pulse has 190 mm of suspension travel.

Experts - Can someone throw some light on such a low suspension travel?
nibedk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th April 2022, 21:42   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibedk View Post
Just 120 mm front suspension travel? Is it a typo or there is any specific reason for same. Other ADVs have 170 mm or higher. Yeszi and RE have 200 mm of suspension travel. Isn't this supposed to be an off roader. My understanding is that ADV/off roaders usually have a longer front suspension travel compared to faired and naked siblings. Even X pulse has 190 mm of suspension travel.

Experts - Can someone throw some light on such a low suspension travel?
I believe it is because it is partly because of wheel size, and partly due to design/budgetary issues. If you see, the Adventure and the Himalayan both boast of a 21-inch front wheel. So naturally in the case of a bump waiting to be soaked up by the suspension, the wheel has to travel a certain vertical distance to soak up the bump. Since the wheel has to soak it up comfortably enough without bottoming out, longer travel is given for these mud honkers. The V-Strom SX has been given a 19-inch front wheel.

And on the other hand, it's pretty evident that this is a parts bin motorcycle. The units like the wheels, the headlamp, the info-cluster, and the drive platform itself are borrowed from the quarter-litre Gixxer twins. This is definitely a move to keep development costs in check. I expect the suspension units also to be the same, with slight changes in damping, to improve the vehicle stability for longer road trips and to the increased suspension travel, unlike the street siblings which are primarily focused on city runabouts.

Last edited by saitvsk23 : 7th April 2022 at 21:46.
saitvsk23 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 00:10   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhsakarp View Post
Saar! It is the same company which has an INTRUDER too in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTab View Post
But yes, it seems that all these companies are only aiming at 90% tarmac usage, with 10% soft off-roading. They want an all rounder to perform great in city, good on highway, and with enough grunt to cross a bad patch one encounters occasionally. And since ‘ADVs’ are hot these days, the new avatars are wearing the ADV badges.
Just like the SUV craze, no?
five46 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th April 2022, 00:21   #45
BHPian

Made quick photo edits of a couple of colour schemes I'd have liked to see. First one reminiscent of the 1050.
Attached Thumbnails
Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX, now launched at Rs. 2.12 lakhs-suzukivstromsx250alt.jpg  

Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX, now launched at Rs. 2.12 lakhs-suzukivstromsx250alt-2.jpg  

Last edited by drt_rdr : 8th April 2022 at 00:27.
drt_rdr is offline   (19) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks