Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2022, 15:07   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX, now launched at Rs. 2.12 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
Quite a good first video actually. Normally I don't appreciate the Youtuber style ride vids, but this one seems quite toned-down, to the point and shows real world usage, very useful. Credit to the creator.

But- Incredible that Suzuki aren't the first to release a first ride vid, or at least collaborate for a slicker made vid. As a marketing department do you want the first clip of your new product to be of a showroom employee filling the tank from a plastic container?! Crazy how the marketing departments of most big bike brands in India are so slow on the uptake when it comes to social media! You don't need an MBA in marketing for goodness sake, just some common sense!
From what I hear, Suzuki is keeping a tight leash on test rides, until the media embargo is raised. How the gentleman in the above video got his hands on the test ride bike and posted it on YouTube, is something that I do not know. The test ride bikes for South Indian dealerships are in transit.

For now, we all have to wait for a few more days to get to watch the reviews from our journalists. Who knows, maybe by then, someone from the forum would have already got his hands on this promising VStrom 250 SX for a test session ....
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 15:41   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
From what I hear, Suzuki is keeping a tight leash on test rides, until the media embargo is raised. How the gentleman in the above video got his hands on the test ride bike and posted it on YouTube, is something that I do not know.
It’s actually very surprising. I think this has to do something with that particular dealership. Saw another test ride video of the same bike by another motovlogger, and the dealership looked the same.

Here’s the link

NTab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2022, 17:48   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw the Vstrom 250 somewhere in the high mountains ridden by a few media dudes.

1. Bike looks BIG.
2. Seats look big nice and comfy - especially the rear.
3. Suspension is apparently on the softer side ala GS
4. Linear power delivery. Some torque down below.
5. Not a very exciting bike to ride. Japanese appliance.
6. Lots of plastic shrouds up front for the strom look.
7. Colours look well finished.
8. Speedo console is typical jap = boring.

This bike will sell, and will have its own cult/groups riding around the country soon.
Red Liner is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 08:09   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Would it be safe to say that this bike is going to steal customers away from:

1. BMW G310 GS (similar tech, but less power and cheaper)
2. HIMALAYAN 410 (similar tech and maybe similarly priced?)
3. KTM 250 ADVENTURE (less tech, but probably way more comfortable for a similar or cheaper price)
4. The rubbish that Honda has launched. (Well...)

Xpulse is a different niche in so far as mild enduro is concerned.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 08:39   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Would it be safe to say that this bike is going to steal customers away from:

2. HIMALAYAN 410
I highly doubt that it can affect Himalayan market. There isn’t any alternative to Himalayan except Xpulse(with less power albeit).
It will definitely create new costumers who are reluctant of heavy weight and spoke wheeled Himalayan, KTM harsh riding adventure, and the limited serviceable BMW G310. May be it will capture the market what the Honda thought to capture with their abomination CB200X.

Ps- Off the topic, but a little birdie told me RE is launching a new bike next month hopefully. It will be smaller in appearance (compared to other RE offerings).
NTab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 09:22   #126
Senior - BHPian

Which high mountains, may I ask (Location)? Maybe I can crash their party
It wont, for following reasons -
1. BMW G310 GS - These guys seek badge value
2. HIMALAYAN 410 - This brand is generic to the segment and product packs quite a punch
3. KTM 250 ADVENTURE - You said it, its just too comfortable
4. The rubbish that Honda has launched - Well, the 200X and VSTROM 250 seem to be on the same page. Will this boy meet with the same fate? Lets see
Quote:
Would it be safe to say that this bike is going to steal customers away from

Last edited by Sebring : 22nd May 2022 at 09:31.
Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 09:56   #127
BHPian

Having owned these competing adventure bikes earlier, think there will be many shaking hands with suzuki simply because of why the competitors make their hands shake.

Himalayan - the hands shake from exhaustion of handling all the weight in day to day traffic (owned and heated both on legs and under the collar by the weight)
GS 310 - the hands shake when reaching for the wallet for service or repair. (Owner and sold because cost implications are personal, badge pride be damned)
KTM 250 adventure - hands shake from handling the relatively harsh ride and hard seat (never owned, but swap ridden and handed right back)
Xpulse 200 - I actually think this will be untouched being at half the price and in the rough, twice as nice. The slim Xpulse easily convinces as a second or even third bike (owned and sold)

I also think this will take away Dominar, Svartpilen, Duke 250, Fz25 and Gixxer 250 customers as it's clearly positioned and capable as a touring machine that does more in many ways than these bikes. With our cities offering enough reason to have rough road capability, I see this as a no brainer for most looking for just an effective, refined, good looking, well equipped urban chaos + highway touring solution.

After all, the Brezza's and Creta's do outsell the Gurkha & Thar in the car segment for similar pseudo tough, refined cred.
AnAntinspired is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 10:06   #128
Senior - BHPian

I think I'll have a firm opinion after a test ride. This is a tall order indeed (Except Svartpilen as it does have its USP and is very unique)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnAntinspired View Post
I also think this will take away Dominar, Svartpilen, Duke 250, Fz25 and Gixxer 250 customers as it's clearly positioned and capable as a touring machine that does more in many ways than these bikes. With our cities offering enough reason to have rough road capability, I see this as a no brainer for most looking for just an effective, refined, good looking, well equipped urban chaos + highway touring solution.

Last edited by Sebring : 22nd May 2022 at 10:15.
Old 22nd May 2022, 11:52   #129
BHPian

We are also forgetting the dreadful Suzuki ASCs. An ownership review of SF250 is posted on forum and even in a big city like Hyderabad, the fellow Bhpian has to face a lot of issues on the service side.. My friends who own Suzuki bikes have also faced such issues regarding service centres, and some have unpleasant experiences during sales also.
NTab is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 12:56   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTab View Post
My friends who own Suzuki bikes have also faced such issues regarding service centres, and some have unpleasant experiences during sales also.
To offer some assurance, I feel this factor varies strictly place to place and person to person. My own experience with Suzuki ASC in assorted places in Bangalore have been reliable. In fact, when I needed my entire wiring to be replaced after rats had a go at my Inazuma, back in 2016, i found the speed of spares and support stellar! This was enough to always ensure one of the bikes in my garage remained a Suzuki.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd May 2022 at 15:31. Reason: Fixed broken quote tags.
AnAntinspired is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 14:10   #131
Senior - BHPian

Do you still own the Inazuma? And which are the best service centres/locations in Bangalore (Based on your experience)?
Quote:
when I needed my entire wiring to be replaced after rats had a go at my Inazuma, back in 2016, i found the speed of spares and support stellar! This was enough to always ensure one of the bikes in my garage remained a Suzuki.
Old 22nd May 2022, 15:05   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Would it be safe to say that this bike is going to steal customers away from...
Probably yeah, atleast the discerning customer. In typical Suzuki fashion, the V-SX seems like a great compromise, and a safe pick in terms of well-roundedness, usability and pocket friendliness. Suzuki is great at min-max builds. So, it's always a safe bet.

You can disregard the offroading niche and the xpulse still makes a strong case for itself as an all-purpose tourer... if you can put up with the seat or get it done to your preferences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTab View Post
I highly doubt that it can affect Himalayan market. There isn’t any alternative to Himalayan except Xpulse(with less power albeit).
Honestly, every other bike in the segment is a solid alternative to the Himalayan. The Himalayan does highways and well-traveled dirt roads amazingly (for which I adore it), but is a royal PITA everywhere else, especially for more serious offroading.

I did some local hill trails a few days ago. As I was crawling my Impulse downhill and goading it into doable lines on a steep, rock-strewn, grassy foot trail, I was thankful I was on a 125 something kg light bike. Both my hands were hurting within half an hour on the trails and by the time I got onto the road back home, I was exhausted head to toe. Had I been on a himalayan, I'd probably have abandoned the bike on the trail and gone back home walking.

Wrestling a bike offroad is no small task, leave alone a 200 kg hunk of metal.

Last edited by drt_rdr : 22nd May 2022 at 15:13.
drt_rdr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 15:34   #133
BHPian

Quote:
To offer some assurance, I feel this factor varies strictly place to place and person to person.
To offer some more assurance, the service scene in Mumbai is also on par with what you get from other brands. Not exceptional, but not crappy either. But where Suzuki excels is company support. For example:

I wanted a tank pad for my Gixxer, that was listed on Suzuki's website, but wasn't available with any dealer in Mumbai. So, I wrote an email to Suzuki customer service and within an hour I got call from one of their representatives, assuring me that the tank pad will be available in a week. And within 4 days, I got a call from the dealership that the tank pad has arrived.

Suzuki service centres also are happy to sell you spare parts over the counter, which most other manufacturers are very reluctant to (at least here in Mumbai). One brand even wanted to levy a "labour charge" if you wanted to buy parts over the counter.

Although, I've noticed is that Authorised Service Centres across all motorcycle brands tend to do a half assed job if you're not vigilant. And that competent mechanics at ASS's (across all brands) are the exception rather than the norm.
Shumi_21 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 18:33   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Do you still own the Inazuma? And which are the best service centres/locations in Bangalore (Based on your experience)?
No, the inazuma went to a persuasive and keen friend
In 2018, a decision I still regret and a buy back I'm still chasing
My experiences at Advaith suzuki - Southend circle, ninestar suzuki - BG road and Chandana Suzuki - BG road (now closed) have all been prompt, perfect and personal. A lot of credit for that also goes to how reliable and niggle free my Suzuki's have been. Hope I'm not jinxing the VStrom 250 tho'
AnAntinspired is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2022, 20:43   #135
BHPian

Another ride review by a Youtuber with the disconnected odo before the embargo gets lifted. This one takes the bike on the highway:

Last edited by Sherlocked : 22nd May 2022 at 20:52.
Sherlocked is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks