Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2024, 17:05   #376
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review

Every 5000 kilometers, I meticulously degrease the chain, washing it until it gleams a sparkling silver-gray, and then I grease it anew, just as I mentioned. Approximately every 500 kilometers or as needed, I apply Motul. However, Puto is a different case; it necessitates degreasing before application, as I've discovered. Moreover, standard lubricants aren't suitable to coexist with it . I've read that using petrol or kerosene for degreasing isn't recommended. While this is my routine, others might adhere to different practices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by minzanurag View Post
I guess you meant 500 kms? When you use Putoline, I heard it supposed to last longer than the regular aerosol lubricant, am I right?. Also, let say you're on the road, after 700-800 kms you need to lubricate the chain, can you use the normal lube on top of Putoline or is it advisable to clean the previous lube before changing the lube type?
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2024, 17:17   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Every 5000 kilometers, I meticulously degrease the chain, washing it until it gleams a sparkling silver-gray, and then I grease it anew, just as I mentioned. Approximately every 500 kilometers or as needed, I apply Motul. However, Puto is a different case; it necessitates degreasing before application, as I've discovered. Moreover, standard lubricants aren't suitable to coexist with it . I've read that using petrol or kerosene for degreasing isn't recommended. While this is my routine, others might adhere to different practices.
Thanks !. So applying Putoline might help increase intervals between lubrication but will need significant effort to clean and then apply the new lube. I bought it based on reviews but didn't think about the cleaning aspects while on the move.

Every 5000 kms, I think taking it to a FNG equipped with the required tools, will clean the chain properly. I just cant get it clean to level you mentioned (sparkling silver gray). I have a slight OCD esp. when it comes to chains - I need it clean, lubricated and properly adjusted.
Old 25th March 2024, 17:48   #378
Senior - BHPian

Frankly, it's no effort at all. With the maxima degreaser, everything just drips off in no time, then you just get it pressure washed and dried. (Mannol, from Germany, used to be a good, budget alternative a few years back. Not seeing it these days). With the Himalayan 450, I noticed that the rear wheel doesn't spin smoothly - once in a while and the chain needs more attention. I keep checking wheel balance as well. Requires more care basically.
Quote:
Originally Posted by minzanurag View Post
I just cant get it clean to level you mentioned (sparkling silver gray).

Last edited by Sebring : 25th March 2024 at 17:50.
Old 25th March 2024, 21:24   #379
BHPian

Another weekend, another ride! Ended up doing 400+ KMs. Started for Dehradun but seeing the traffic, we diverted towards Karnal and back to NCR.

Now I have clocked close to 1,400 KMs on the bike and the stock seats continue to be uncomfortable. I want to switch with the touring seats, has anyone tried them yet?

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img_1636.jpeg

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-bfa2dfd7a67d4e789fc17cd7d225e745.jpeg

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img_1639.jpeg
sinharishi is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 06:48   #380
BHPian

Booked and waiting. 40 days is the eta.

Btw, for longer rides, how do you all prepare for a puncture?
gkrishn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 10:56   #381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
I keep checking wheel balance as well. Requires more care basically.
Do you get it checked at any professional wheel allignment/ balancing centre?

Though I have heard it is good to do as part of long term maintenance, I have not seen it being done anywhere. Hence checking how to get it done. Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 11:05   #382
Senior - BHPian

I came across several videos on YT where the balance was off, and the wheel wasn't turning freely. I'm fine that way
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
Do you get it checked at any professional wheel allignment/ balancing centre? Though I have heard it is good to do as part of long term maintenance, I have not seen it being done anywhere. Hence checking how to get it done. Thanks
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 17:26   #383
Senior - BHPian

Brake pads are BREMBO. Rims from Japan, Showa suspension, speedo with maps .... Royal Enfield has tried to pack the best into this bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img_7585.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th March 2024, 22:41   #384
BHPian

My observations so far:
Model: Kamet White
Date of purchase: 17.02.2024
Current Odometer: 1416KMs(~80% highway, remaining city traffic)
My height: 181CMs
Rider type: I like to have fun while riding within safe parameters (it's my stress buster)
Previous bike: Dominar400UG 40BHP variant, used for 36K KMs

Here are my two cents:
> Ergonomics: I am still trying to find my comfortable position on the seat. I wanted a taller bike and the Himalayan is tall. But the seat gets narrower towards the tank and also dips a bit. In addition, the fuel tank sort of bulges out to a large extent towards the handle bar. You'll have to sit close to the tank to be able to grip it with your thighs for a proper riding position. Gripping the tank gets slightly challenging if one wants to sit a little further back. Also, one slides forward inadvertently towards the tank during the ride. I guess I need to spend a few thousand KMs more to finally get into that comfortable position (un-learning and re-learning w.r.t my Dominar400 is under process as well!)
> Handling: Surprisingly comfortable and quite precise. Both in the city and on the highway. I did not feel any difficulty even in bumper-to-bumper traffic. I am not yet doing the speeds on the Himalayan that I used to do on my Dominar400. But the Himalayan does inspire confidence handling-wise.
> Torque: I am using the first gear more than what I used to do on the Dominar400. But that has not been uncomfortable at all. The clutch and gearbox on the Himalayan are quite effortless and easy, so no issues here. I have never stalled the Himalayan so far.
> Engine performance: I'll be able to assess it better after crossing the 2K KMs running-in mark. I guess I may not miss the Dominar400 much here.
> Most impressive aspect: The suspension. One word for it - Brilliant! The Himalayan has transformed Indian roads into Autobahn for me, with all the undulations vanished!
> Minor issue: Noise(as if two parts are rubbing against each other during rotational movement) from the rear brake pads/disc area when coasting/during gear shifts etc i.e. when not under acceleration/throttle. It first started at around 450KMs on the odometer. The technician cleaned the brake pads and said the noise is because the brake pads/discs need to be run-in as well and it will vanish after couple of thousand KMs.The sound vanished after the 500KMs service only to return after around 1300KMs.The service technicians continued to give me the same reasoning and just asked me to wait for another thousand odd KMs. I'll wait. Please let me know if any other member is facing this issue.

Bottomline: I am taking my time in forming a clear-cut opinion, more so because I am coming from Dominar400 with similar power output but very different ergonomic set up (I am a happy Dominar400 rider). But the initial impressions are positive and the rides are leaving happy memories

Accessories installed so far: RE taller windscreen(compared with stock windscreen in the pics below) and RE rally sump guard(silver) with integrated engine guard(black)
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-1000046055.jpg  

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-1000046047.jpg  

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-1000046049.jpg  

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-1000046050.jpg  

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-1000046052.jpg  

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-1000046344.jpg  

espraveen is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 27th March 2024, 10:25   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by espraveen View Post
Accessories installed so far: RE taller windscreen(compared with stock windscreen in the pics below) and RE rally sump guard(silver) with integrated engine guard(black)
Congratulations and enjoy your ride!

I had sent the same accessories list to Nilesh5417 for his Hanle Black Himmy. Good to see them on your bike. Are you considering the metal Radiator guard and rear top-plate/rack at a later stage?

Regarding, ergonomics, as the seat is slightly slanted forward, you end up seating close to the tank. In addition, seating on the narrower front part of the seat gives you the confidence of putting your feet down in case of emergencies. I'm 5'8" and I rode other rider's Himalayan and I was cautious of the height of the bike! (I don't own one)

Bosky has discussed the Himmy ergos in this

Happy riding,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 17:28   #386
Senior - BHPian

Will check a few non-oem - felt the RE touring windshield, though about 18' tall from the top curvature of the headlight, was still not sufficiently wide.
Weirdly, RE doesn't mention any size related Info either on their website or the box in which the screen is packed.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240329_150303.jpg  

Nilesh5417 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th March 2024, 18:08   #387
Senior - BHPian

I would have preferred it to be clear all around. The cloudy one from Carbon Racing is exactly the reason i didnt go for that
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Will check a few non-oem - felt the RE touring windshield, though about 18' tall from the top curvature of the headlight, was still not sufficiently wide.
Old 29th March 2024, 22:33   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
... Are you considering the metal Radiator guard and rear top-plate/rack at a later stage?...
Yes. I am planning to install the metal radiator guard, lever/knuckle guards and the much needed aux lights next (stock headlamp exists for academic purposes only )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
... felt the RE touring windshield, though about 18' tall from the top curvature of the headlight, was still not sufficiently wide....
The taller RE touring windshield isn't wide enough like you said. I've done about 100 KMs of highway ride with the new windshield, couldn't feel any perceptible lack of windblast protection because of its narrowness though. But, I guess I'll reserve my opinion until a few hundred KMs more are covered.
espraveen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2024, 11:59   #389
BHPian

I want to share my waiting status (dec 16th booking). On March 10 when I checked with my dealer, they said for Kamet white, I am at waiting list 1. I can expect call from dealer on any coming day. But I am still waiting for my allotment. I am still following up every week and receiving only apologies from the dealer.

I have one theory for this waiting period. They must have got around 10k booking for Himalayan by dec 31. If they had delivered all by Feb month, futher sales will be declined and various reports like two wheeler sales/growth per month will show huge decline. If they deliver only 3k per month, they could show that Himalayan has steady demand for many months. Some marketing strategy may be. I am curious to know others thoughts on same.?
tech_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2024, 12:26   #390
Senior - BHPian

This new Himalayan is a smash hit. At least in Bengaluru, I spot it everywhere. Its a craze now, so I'm seeing a genuine demand. Hope they keep the price in check.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_rider View Post
If they deliver only 3k per month, they could show that Himalayan has steady demand for many months. Some marketing strategy may be.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks