Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2008, 22:44   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Whoa LML? Whither LML?

Is LML sick ? Nothing is seen coming from the once two wheeler giant that gave us beautiful scooters in collaboration with Vespa (Piaggio, Italy)since 1984 -remember the 100cc Vespa XE which had a long, long waiting list in the early 1980's, when India was scooter hungry.These sold well and they had introduced so many models incl. Supremo, Select II, Star, NV Spl, Sensation,NV Xpress, Star Xpress & Trendy, in the 125 and 150 cc range. LML had put up a tough competition to Bajaj Auto and Kinetic (Kinetic Honda) till some years ago.
The relations between LML and Piaggio soured after a decade and a half of collaborating and the joint collaboration was off in 1999. The scooters were sold thereafter as LML and not as LML Vespa.
As soon as the Activa was launched in 2001-02 the competition was beaten black and blue. Bajaj beat a hasty retreat with its Super and Chetak (the Chetak 4s and the four-stroke Stride was a failure)but remained in business with the unpopular Saffire, to be repackaged as the Kristal. Even TVS jumped into bandwagon with its Spectra, a four-stroke, 150cc scooter, that soon bombed. Kinetic Honda introduced the odd 4S which sells maybe a few thousand every month. Now the HH Pleasure and the Suzuki Access compete with the Activa/ Dio duo.
LML started a new collaboration with a South Korean bike maker Daelim introducing some of the unpopular bikes like LML Freedom Prima, Adreno, Beamer,Energy FX and Graptor.
It seems LML has lately faded away from the scene.

Last edited by Technocrat : 5th December 2008 at 12:02. Reason: Removed Font & Size Tags
Old 5th December 2008, 01:21   #2
BHPian

is it an obituary or a question.
lml is done and dusted
rupinder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2008, 02:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

I think they may be exporting some of their scooters. I saw once in a scooter show and they guy said they came from LML in India.
Old 5th December 2008, 03:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

2weeks ago i saw a brand new LML Vespa so i guess they are still in production and being sold.
Old 5th December 2008, 04:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rupinder View Post
is it an obituary or a question.
lml is done and dusted
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
2weeks ago i saw a brand new LML Vespa so i guess they are still in production and being sold.

i am not sure what you both are on about and Akshay dont tell me that you are missinformed on this one.

LML hasbeen selling again for some time now and they just have the NV for the sale that has the same engine with a light body and thats all. it is almost 40K on road in punjab
Old 5th December 2008, 08:50   #6
BHPian

Had read somewhere that LML India is out of the closeure and is getting its act together also read that it has 3-4 dealers in New Delhi, can Delhi guys confirm? All said and done it was a very good Scooter for its time, much much better than the Bajaj in terms of Quality, Fit and Finish. Also was the 1st indian Scooter to have the Electric Start (Self Start) on it.

PS. Found the writeup -
LML SCOOTERS VESPA NV SPL AND SELECT
LML launches Vespa NV SPL and Select II scooters

LML makes a comeback with Vespa brands.

August 16, 2007

Lohia Machines Limited (LML) has re-entered the Indian market, after a gap of 14 months, with its Vespa brand of geared scooters. The company’s decision to stage a comeback has been fuelled mainly by the revival of the scooter sector in India of late.

Shares of the troubled two-wheeler manufacturer shot up on August 14, 2007, after newspapers reported that the company had resumed the sale of its Vespa brand of geared scooters in the domestic market.

Lohia Machines Limited, based in Kanpur, India, launched its 150cc Vespa brands – named NV SPL and Select II – at an on-road price of Rs 35,000 in New Delhi, which is traditionally its biggest market. The company used to sell around 1,000 units a month in New Delhi before it went out of production in February 2006.

It has started operations with two dealers in New Delhi and is targeting sales of 500 units in the next few months.

Lohia Machines, the only manufacturer of geared scooters in India, seems to be keen to seize its old market, with scooter sales growing in the past few months. Scooter sales rose by 17% to 3,44,006 units during April-July 2007.

LML had resumed partial operations in April 2007 with the export of geared scooters to Egypt, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and countries in West Asia and Africa. It exported 16,000 units till the end of July 2007, and is now targeting sales of another 50,000 units during this fiscal.

The success in exports as well as the positive response it received in the domestic market has encouraged the company to enter the National Capital Region in the second phase in 2008.

Lohia Machines had stopped production at its Kanpur plant – which has an installed capacity of 300,000 scooters and 240,000 motorcycles – in February 2006 because of a financial crunch. The company, which was referred to the Board for Industrial and Financial Reconstruction (BIFR), has submitted a revival plan with a strategic investor and fresh capital investment.

Lohia Machines Limited, which was once the fifth-largest player in the motorcycle sector, however, is not planning to re-enter that profitable and mass-volume market before its operations are revived entirely.

Also - EULA but this dosent seem to work as of now.

Last edited by madhokritesh : 5th December 2008 at 08:55.
Old 19th May 2009, 10:40   #7
BHPian

I, as a avid Vespa Fan, have been following this news line from a long time.... So this is the
Latest - 16 May 2009 - The struggling two wheeler company, LML, unveils its second geared scooter in the domestic market, on the sidelines of a current market situation where there is increasing demand for scooters. LML has introduced a 4-stroke version of its NV brand of scooters in select market of Delhi and Ghaziabad. The new launch would be available in two variants and LML claims the 150 cc scooter will deliver a fuel efficiency of 55 km/liter. It is available at an ex-showroom price of Rs. 39,897 for the base version and Rs 40,800 for the deluxe variant in Delhi.
Source - LML announces latest version of NV brand scooter - Automobile News, Mobile News & Other Product News: Infibeam
Another Link - LML introduces new version of NV brand of scooters

My LML VESPA Fan Blog - LML-Vespa
Old 19th May 2009, 13:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

I own a 1989 LML Vespa NV and have clocked more than 1,00,000kms.By far it is the best scooter i have ridden a gives a good mileage too.

I believe LML has been revived once again and being sold in North India.though the bike craze has totally obliterated the scooter scene in India.
Wish LML comes back with some interesting models and I will be the first to buy one.
Old 4th June 2009, 01:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

Look who's back. they went into BIFR, launched back in 2006-2007 and now are adding models and dealers slowly and gradually.

LML launches new version of NV brand scooter- Two-wheelers-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

I used to own an LML adreno once upon a time and LML is close to my heart as it was my first motorcycle.
Old 4th June 2009, 01:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

what engine are they using? The old ones were 150 cc 2 stroke but they may not meet emissions now.
Old 4th June 2009, 01:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

yes that's what they use. It's mentioned in the article here.

LML launches new version of NV brand scooter- Two-wheelers-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times

They actually managed to sell about 1500 units in just 3 states as per the news above. Plus 4000 units are exports. Imagine the total capacity at 300,000 units.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 4th June 2009 at 01:17.
Old 4th June 2009, 02:06   #12
Senior - BHPian

If only LML would bring out a totally revamped Adreno, or some other worthwhile bike upwards of 250cc.
Wishful thinking, I know!
Old 4th June 2009, 07:45   #13
BHPian

Speaking on LML, I had also thought that the company was dead, till I saw this on a recent trip to Dublin, Ireland.
Attached Thumbnails
Whoa LML? Whither LML?-lmldublin.jpg  

Last edited by car_crazy1400 : 4th June 2009 at 07:46. Reason: spell check
car_crazy1400 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2009, 10:17   #14
BHPian

I have good memories with LML, they are based out of my hometown so the streets were flooded with Vespas and quite a few Selects. The Select was one looker with that massive instrumentation console (with the in-built analog clock- cool for the time!). It was also far balanced and powerful than anything from the Bajaj stable, the fit n finish, quality and looks were miles ahead as well. And yeah- it had superb brakes and managed to stop in a straight line most of the times whereas the Bajaj used to be quite scary and nervous when you suddenly called on the brakes to do their job.

The motorcycle craze did kill the geared scoot market- the Eterno had provided some hope initially but didn't stand for long. I think LML should concentrate on exports since parts of Europe are still scoot-crazy and LML will have the edge when it comes to factors like pricing. Just hope their QC is upto those standards.

Last edited by doomsday : 4th June 2009 at 10:19.
Old 4th June 2009, 16:38   #15
Senior - BHPian

Wow Bajaj and LML in Dublin..Un believable.
Thanks for the pic..my fondness to LML has gone up further.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks