Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2012, 22:01   #2401
BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader View Post
Thanks ArizonaJim for your valuable inputs.

With regard to the front fork sound - I have fixed it!! thankfully it was nothing unusual from the engine

This weekend I was fixing my crash guard and I requested the technician to tighten all the nuts he can lay his hands on; to our suprise, all the nuts around the front mud guard were loose and we had to tighten them all the way. This has fixed this sound and the current harmonics are more or less in a sine-curve. The music system on wheels is now ready for its first 500Km service in less than 20kms. Will the request the service engineers to tighten all the bolts once again!!

Pardon me if I do not sound like a typical bulleter; sometime soon I wish to explore installing powerflex suspension bushes to all the metal to metal contact bolt/nut areas, engine mount (do RE Classic has one?). What are your thoughts on this one? My contribution to my ride as it matures in my hand is to eradicate as many unnecessary vibrations as possible.

Cheers
The RE bikes use the engine as a fully stressed member of the frame. Any vibration absorbing bush in the engine mounts/ other areas may result in extreme chassis flex. Big single cylinder engines have a lot of vibration which is higher in long stroke designs. The vibration in this bike will reduce somewhat as the miles pile on but not comparable with modern designs. The footrests on this frame are mounted on a cantilevered frame extensions and that does not help with the vibes too. I've ridden over 150,000 Km in 15 years , mainly in the himalayas and done 2 trips to Leh on my c5. It has been 'Bulletproof' even after sustained abuse in those trips. But the vibrations are still bothersome some times.
Regards
Naren

Last edited by hexanerax : 23rd February 2012 at 22:02.
Old 23rd February 2012, 23:55   #2402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharathgana View Post

Hope this will not have any serious long term implications on the bike i.e. poor 'running in' leading to a lemon!

Appreciate pointers and guidance from fellow Bull riders.
Go through the running in procedure in the manual properly. Manual is available online too. Give breaks more frequently i.e. every 30 minutes or so. Use all the gears. Avoid hard acceleration and don't exceed above 60 kmph. Use the search feature to find more about running in procedure in this thread and others. When you start your bike for the first time every day, without putting in the key, hold the clutch lever and kick a few times and then start your bike(do this in the neutral gear). If you live in cold region then a warm up of 2-3 minutes is recommended.

Last edited by iron.head : 24th February 2012 at 00:05. Reason: addition
Old 1st March 2012, 14:16   #2403
BHPian

Can somebody put down a list of improvements the Chrome classic/Desert Storm has over the 2011 Classic 500 components wise? (if any)

1. Stiffer springs for the solo seat...
2. Newer engine map

Last edited by reswaran : 1st March 2012 at 14:17. Reason: Missed out a point
Old 1st March 2012, 14:35   #2404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reswaran View Post
Can somebody put down a list of improvements the Chrome classic/Desert Storm has over the 2011 Classic 500 components wise? (if any)

1. Stiffer springs for the solo seat...
2. Newer engine map
Classic Chrome and Desert Storm has an archaic, tubular, bush-mounted swingarm which attaches to the rear wheel and twin adjustable gas-filled shock absorbers.
There is change in the front where 130mm travel-telescopic front forks now run in the same line as the front wheel axle
Trail is increased to 101mm and front wheel is 19 inches even as the rear remains 18 inches

Last edited by ruchirtnt : 1st March 2012 at 14:37.
Old 2nd March 2012, 09:49   #2405
Senior - BHPian

Is the engine management check sound that comes before ignition supposed to come when the engine is running?

I find that the sound is still there after the engine starts.

Any need to worry?
Old 2nd March 2012, 11:18   #2406
BHPian

Learn from my mistake:
Do not allow excessive chain play for a sustained period of time i.e even a few days. Leads to a few missing teeth on the rear sprocket.
Old 2nd March 2012, 11:28   #2407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Is the engine management check sound that comes before ignition supposed to come when the engine is running?

I find that the sound is still there after the engine starts.

Any need to worry?
That sound only comes for a few seconds and you have to start the bike after MIL stops glowing and the sound is gone. The sound(after starting your bike) that you are referring to is the tic-tic sound of the auto decomp and it goes off after the engine crosses a certain rpm and there is nothing to worry about it unless you here it for a very long time after starting your bike.
Old 2nd March 2012, 11:33   #2408
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Iron.head. I will try to listen to it again after running a few kms and post an update.
Old 2nd March 2012, 12:37   #2409
BANNED

500 Experts -

A question, if you may help -

I can see that the dimensions mentioned on the RE website and the PDF that can be downloaded are way off the mark. The wheelbase, length, height are out of sync, atrocious on the part of RE, god know what the portal designers are upto.

My question here is can someone point out which one is correct? I am basically more bothered about the HEIGHT, I just love the low slung rear of the 500 with a single seat and is the main reason why I am planning to go for it.

Thanks in anticipation guys !!
Old 3rd March 2012, 04:43   #2410
Distinguished - BHPian

The Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee sound that I hear when I first turn on the key on my G5 is the sound of the fuel pump pressurizing the fuel system.
I don't believe it has anything to do with the MIL doing its checks or "booting up".

If I listen hard, every few seconds or so when the engine is running I will hear a short Wheee from the pump but I have to be listening for it because of the thump (and click and clack) of the engine and because the sound lasts for less than a second.

While I'm mentioning the fuel pump, on several occasions I've found fuel to be leaking at the connection of the rubber fuel hose and the outlet of the fuel pump (on the lower left side of the fuel tank).
The leak hasn't caused a problem yet but with the high price of fuel these days and the possibility of the fuel igniting it should be stopped as soon as possible.

Fixing it is as easy as using a flat bladed screw driver to tighten the small clamp screw 1/4 of a turn or so.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2012, 12:09   #2411
Senior - BHPian

Next question. What is the best way to kick start the new C5 machines?
Old 5th March 2012, 12:48   #2412
Senior - BHPian

Also, is there a solution for the vibrating mirrors? They don't do much apart from acting as a style accessory for now.
Old 6th March 2012, 02:18   #2413

Hi all,

I have a problem with the front wobbling roughly at around 70 kmph. Took the bike to the service station when I first experienced this problem. When I test drove the bike after the service, it felt fine. Now the same problem has returned after a few weeks. When I took it back to the service station to get it rectified, I was told that the front fork is loose. I don't know much about bikes, but even after the so called tightening on the front fork bolts, I felt a slight wobble at around 70 kmph. The wobble has certainly decreased but still there. Any input on this would be much appreciated.

Brgds,

NV
Old 6th March 2012, 17:47   #2414
BHPian

Hi All,
Got on to this thread after a long time and so I might have missed this, has anybody used the RACEDYNAMICS ECU upgrade for the Classic 500, if so what is the feedback. I had tried last month to get a unit from the Mumbai salesperson and he had informed me that the product is still in the final testing stage and now I just saw an Advert for that in one for the automagazines.
I have CL 500 about 10 months old and done around 1800kms and would like to try the ECU upgrade.
If anyone has tested this , any feedback will be much appreciated.

thanks
FZ
Old 7th March 2012, 19:50   #2415
BHPian

For vibrating mirrors
A good friend of mine has installed avenger mirrors on C5. Have to tilt the brake and clutch lever assembly a little forward/downward for perfect settings. Says the vibrations are low and the appearance goes well with them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks