Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2012, 23:52   #2491
BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

My CL500's fuel efficiency has improved after the ignition map+ Bosch Primary spark plug change. Earlier, it used to give me around 20km/ltr. Nowadays, its in 25-26 range in the city traffic. So, i believe my 750rs was not spent in vain.

The vibes have come down a lot too. Vibes around 40km/hr speed was a real pain earlier. Now, i'm able to use the humongous torque without hiccups in 3rd gear. Kudos to RE.
Old 5th April 2012, 00:41   #2492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aruncheloor View Post
My CL500's fuel efficiency has improved after the ignition map+ Bosch Primary spark plug change. Earlier, it used to give me around 20km/ltr. Nowadays, its in 25-26 range in the city traffic. So, i believe my 750rs was not spen
thumbs up to Bosch for their plugs and extra 500 bucks to RE for selling a Rs 250 plug for Rs 750!
Old 5th April 2012, 01:34   #2493
Distinguished - BHPian

Invader:
Your starting problem is very odd.

When you depress the starter button with the ignition key turned on, electrical power is sent to the starter solenoid thru a wire.

In order for this power to activate the solenoid another small wire coming out of the solenoid must be grounded (connected to the negative side of the battery).

There are two parallel electrical circuits which can provide this grounding.
One is the neutral switch.
If it detects that the transmission is in neutral, it closes to provide a ground path for the solenoid and also grounds the neutral indicator light in the speedometer, which will then light.

The other solenoid grounding circuit goes to the clutch lever switch.
When the clutch lever is left released, this switch is open and no electricity can pass thru it.
When the clutch lever is pulled in the switch closes providing a ground path for the electricity going to the starter solenoid. The solenoid will then be activated and it will connect the battery to the starter motor.

As you can see, either one of these circuits is capable of activating the starter solenoid but if one of them fails the other one can still work.

Activating one of the circuits like the clutch should not prevent the starter from operating even if the switch is defective providing the other circuit is operating.

As long as you can start the motorcycle this problem is not a pressing issue but when you take your motorcycle in for service be sure to tell the mechanic about the problem.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2012, 09:04   #2494
BHPian

Thanks ArizonaJim; I felt it was something to do with the charge and wiring however, you have explained it in a lucid manner.

Will request the gentlemen at the service station to look at these circuits and rectify.

Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Invader:
Your starting problem is very odd.

When you depress the starter button with the ignition key turned on, electrical power is sent to the starter solenoid thru a wire.

In order for this power to activate the solenoid another small wire coming out of the solenoid must be grounded (connected to the negative side of the battery).

There are two parallel electrical circuits which can provide this grounding.
One is the neutral switch.
If it detects that the transmission is in neutral, it closes to provide a ground path for the solenoid and also grounds the neutral indicator light in the speedometer, which will then light.

The other solenoid grounding circuit goes to the clutch lever switch.
When the clutch lever is left released, this switch is open and no electricity can pass thru it.
When the clutch lever is pulled in the switch closes providing a ground path for the electricity going to the starter solenoid. The solenoid will then be activated and it will connect the battery to the starter motor.

As you can see, either one of these circuits is capable of activating the starter solenoid but if one of them fails the other one can still work.

Activating one of the circuits like the clutch should not prevent the starter from operating even if the switch is defective providing the other circuit is operating.

As long as you can start the motorcycle this problem is not a pressing issue but when you take your motorcycle in for service be sure to tell the mechanic about the problem.
Old 8th April 2012, 08:20   #2495
Senior - BHPian

I am abroad and my father starts the DS and runs it for a minute twice every week.

I have had battery trouble twice before where the starter emits a krrrrr sound and the bike doesn't sound.

The first time the workshop guys charged the battery.
The second time they replaced the battery.

My dad last started the bike on Wednesday and today the bike is again making krrrr noise and doesn't start.

AM I looking at some other minor/major problem here?
Old 8th April 2012, 09:32   #2496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
I am abroad and my father starts the DS and runs it for a minute twice every week.

I have had battery trouble twice before where the starter emits a krrrrr sound and the bike doesn't sound.

The first time the workshop guys charged the battery.
The second time they replaced the battery.

My dad last started the bike on Wednesday and today the bike is again making krrrr noise and doesn't start.

AM I looking at some other minor/major problem here?
I think you would need to actually take the bike for a round occasionally for it to charge, idling it for a few minutes won't do. Leaving the engine on while the bike isn't moving isn't advisable, in fact the Royal Enfield manual asks the rider to switch off the engine if it is at standstill for a certain period of time as the engine is air cooled.

Ideally if you aren't using the bike simply disconnect the battery and follow the storage procedures given in the manual. Either that, or give it to a friend who will treat your bike like a queen .
Old 8th April 2012, 10:42   #2497
Distinguished - BHPian

devarshi84

I agree with adises about the run time.
Running the engine for 1 minute will not create enough power to recharge the battery (even with the lights off) so starting the engine twice a week is basically running the battery down.

If the motorcycle is run for a period of 5-10 minutes with all of the lights turned off at a speed slightly above an idle it should recharge the battery enough to keep it in fair shape.
IMO a run of 10 minutes shouldn't overheat the engine as long as it is not running at a high speed.

The other alternative is to buy a "trickle charger" which produces about 1 1/2 to 2 amps. of charging power. Local motorcycle shops should have these for sale.

Do not use a battery charger that is made for cars as they usually produce higher charging amperage which can result in an overcharged battery.
Overcharging will destroy the plates inside the battery which create the electrical power.

Of course if you buy a trickle charger it must be attached to the battery correctly.
If it is hooked up backwards it may rapidly ruin the battery.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 8th April 2012 at 10:43.
Old 8th April 2012, 11:44   #2498
Senior - BHPian

but are our C5 batteries so weak as to die out in 10 days? I was driving the back every day until 26th march.
Old 8th April 2012, 21:33   #2499
BANNED

Fellow CL 500 Owners, had a small question, if you may help.

I'm going to pick my Black CL 500 anytime next week, 12th or the 15th, initially I was planning go keep the silencer stock but now having read somewhere on the forum that the upswept one does not hamper the Running In process, I'm planning to go for it the moment I pick up the bull.

I am a bit finicky about the running in thing, I stick to the manuals be it cars or bikes.

Another query that I had was, how do i confirm if the silencer provided by the RE Dealership is a genuine one and not a fake one, actually there a small shop right next to this dealership which is into selling these aftermarket exhausts, so I want to be sure that the dealership does not pick up one from there and hand it over to me.

Any particular marks, stickers or anything that would help me figure out that it is a genuine RE upswept exhaust would be of great help !!

Request for your suggestions on the pros and cons on getting the upswept one on a stock bike.

Thanks !!

Happy Motoring !!

Last edited by Torquedo : 8th April 2012 at 21:39.
Old 9th April 2012, 01:43   #2500
BHPian

My upswept silencer came in a RE cardboard pack. And i brought home my old silencer in that box. May be you can verify this before installing it.
aruncheloor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 14:53   #2501
BHPian

Need help in changing my classic clutch cable.Is there any video uploaded on how to do that.If i put the cable first from lever side then i am not able to put the cable at the other end.Tried adjusting screw also :(
Old 9th April 2012, 15:10   #2502
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Any particular marks, stickers or anything that would help me figure out that it is a genuine RE upswept exhaust would be of great help !!
The original up-swept silencers has etching on the underside. The etching says something like " for off-road purpose". Dont recollect the exact words.
nasirkaka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 23:41   #2503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
but are our C5 batteries so weak as to die out in 10 days? I was driving the back every day until 26th march.
bump: Please advice what I am doing wrong or what's wrong with my bike.
Old 10th April 2012, 08:02   #2504
BANNED

Just read on the price list provided by the dealer that the left hand side carrier has been made an optional accessory and customers will be charged an additional fee for the same, this is w.e.f - 17th March 2012.

I am picking my bull on the 12th or the 15th shall keep all posted on the developments.

Happy Motoring !!
Old 10th April 2012, 09:28   #2505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
Just read on the price list provided by the dealer that the left hand side carrier has been made an optional accessory and customers will be charged an additional fee for the same, this is w.e.f - 17th March 2012.

I am picking my bull on the 12th or the 15th shall keep all posted on the developments.

Happy Motoring !!
By side carrier do you mean the sari guard?! There is no side carrier (pannier/bag/box) that comes by default with the cl500.

Btw, which dealer have you finally booked with?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks