Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2014, 12:54   #3646
BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_of_steel View Post
Examine the chain for any stiff links. It might cause this grinding sensation on footpegs. How old is the chain anyway?
My ride is just 3 months old and so far have ridden 1900 Kms. Let me have a look on chain and will update the thread.
Old 23rd October 2014, 08:57   #3647
BHPian

Engine stalls when accelerating

For the last few days my DS500 stalls (kind of turns off) when accelerating. This happens any time of the day but only for the first few minutes (say 5-10) and occasional loud phaat from the stock silencer. After that acceleration or deceleration is never an issue. Looks like there are misfires which I couldn't notice.

Starting and Idling are always smooth, no hiccups.

What should be done to resolve this issue?
Let me check and clean the spark plug and observe.
Old 23rd October 2014, 17:12   #3648
AKS

Hi, in mine CL5 ive got the Goldstar exhaust and i often find it strange when the beat changes. Sometimes when i start (the first start in the morning) it sounds like a normal one and after cruising it for a while the real thump starts. So it the fixing fault or some other technical snag ? Please help.
Old 3rd November 2014, 22:04   #3649
BHPian

Hi folks, I recently got my first bull Classic 500 Chrome. It is not my first bike though but the previous ones were pulsars and Splendour :-) so in that way I am a novice in understanding how bull behaves and need some help in understanding its behaviour.

I have not done any major modifications except upgrading to Upsweep silence and NGK Iridium. The bike is super smooth after this upgrade but at times when I am going down the flyover I hear sudden boom or flutter from the exhaust. It is not engine missing but quite a loud boom. Wanted to know if this is normal.

Second and more critical problem is with rear brakes. Especially when bike is on uneven surface and I apply brakes then I hear a sudden click sound and feel a jerk on the brake pedal. This started happening after first service. Today when I was trying to link for the issue I saw that even after applying rear brake I could move / turn the rear where almost couple of inches back and forth. Should the wheel not be jammed when brake is applied fully? Is there a risk of brake failure or something breaking within?

Please help me with your expert advice.
Old 3rd November 2014, 22:34   #3650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1182 View Post
Second and more critical problem is with rear brakes. Especially when bike is on uneven surface and I apply brakes then I hear a sudden click sound and feel a jerk on the brake pedal. This started happening after first service. Today when I was trying to link for the issue I saw that even after applying rear brake I could move / turn the rear where almost couple of inches back and forth. Should the wheel not be jammed when brake is applied fully? Is there a risk of brake failure or something breaking within?

Please help me with your expert advice.
Damaged cush drive rubbers in the rear wheel. Replacing them will get you out of the problem.
regards adrian
adrian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2014, 06:56   #3651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Damaged cush drive rubbers in the rear wheel. Replacing them will get you out of the problem.
regards adrian

Thanks Adrian , Will get this checked and replaced under warranty if required this week end and update :-)
Old 13th November 2014, 17:44   #3652
BHPian

I have a DS 2013 model. Lately it has developed problems with battery. The battery charge is not being retained. Following this thread, I came to know about Deltran Battery Tender. Planning to get one to charge the battery myself.
http://geb.ebay.in/g/ImportHubViewIt...-Bank-022-0165
this is the product link in ebay. Can someone please tell me if this one fill suffice for Desert Storm?
Old 13th November 2014, 18:28   #3653
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Hello Everyone,

I like to ramble about in the parking bay of the service centers when I wait for work being done on my Thunderbird. I go about looking at the Odometer readings of the UCE engined bikes to find out which of them have an odometer reading higher than mine (a minuscule 56,000 km). I was pretty amazed to see an MP registered Classic 500 with 81,500 km on the odometer. The bike seemed to hold itself together quite well and was in a very stock form from the looks of it. I even listened to the engine when it was running and there was no difference in the sound from that of a new Classic 500 at least.

I thought that only the CI/LB engined bikes have lived a long life (10-35 years) to boast a number of specimens that have crossed 1,00,000 km but the UCE engines are also catching up amazingly fast (5 years).

Would like to see people bragging about the numbers they have clocked on their UCEs.
Tgo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 18:31   #3654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayoojl View Post
I have a DS 2013 model. Lately it has developed problems with battery. The battery charge is not being retained. Following this thread, I came to know about Deltran Battery Tender. Planning to get one to charge the battery myself.
http://geb.ebay.in/g/ImportHubViewIt...-Bank-022-0165
this is the product link in ebay. Can someone please tell me if this one fill suffice for Desert Storm?
Buddy, don't waste 7k on this one. You can get a good battery charger (with auto cut off) for around Rs.500/-. A friend of mine who is not an active member of Team-BHP assembled one for me to charge the battery of my Father's Ambassador. It is a plug it and forget it type. As soon as the voltage reaches 13.75, it automatically stops charging. Just find someone who is good in Electronics.
But before that you should find out why the battery is not retaining charge. It may be because of leakage, a weak magneto, more night riding with respect to the amount of charge received or as ArizonaJim remarked, may be due to the motorcycle being ridden in lower rpms.

@TGO : May be it is staying in condition by the way it is ridden or may be it is already rebuilt. Anyway if it is stock, then it is good news.

Last edited by adrian : 13th November 2014 at 18:50.
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2014, 20:51   #3655
BHPian

Quote:
Buddy, don't waste 7k on this one. You can get a good battery charger (with auto cut off) for around Rs.500/-. A friend of mine who is not an active member of Team-BHP assembled one for me to charge the battery of my Father's Ambassador. It is a plug it and forget it type. As soon as the voltage reaches 13.75, it automatically stops charging. Just find someone who is good in Electronics.
But before that you should find out why the battery is not retaining charge. It may be because of leakage, a weak magneto, more night riding with respect to the amount of charge received or as ArizonaJim remarked, may be due to the motorcycle being ridden in lower rpms.

@TGO : May be it is staying in condition by the way it is ridden or may be it is already rebuilt. Anyway if it is stock, then it is good news.
My original battery died out within two years so put a new exide battery two months ago. Now again the bike has problems with electric start.
Compared to this my Bonneville sometimes sits for a month without being ridden yet starts without problems.
This shows the poor quality of the charging system that Royal Enfield really needs to work on.
Old 14th November 2014, 11:37   #3656
BHPian

Quote:
Buddy, don't waste 7k on this one. You can get a good battery charger (with auto cut off) for around Rs.500/-.......
Adrian, I had met with an accident. so the frequency of usage is less. maybe one long ride in a month or so. And even with daily usage, it comes around 10kms a day. The last 5Km will involve riding with dim light with speeds below 50.
so all in all I will be gradually draining my battery. I know. The only viable option seems to be going for a battery charger, as i cannot kick start with my right leg.
So any alternate options or various battery chargers options are most welcome.
Old 14th November 2014, 12:05   #3657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by argchoff View Post
This shows the poor quality of the charging system that Royal Enfield really needs to work on.
It is high time they rectify these errors. I don't know if you ride a motorcycle with an Amp meter, but it is a good indicator of the condition of the battery as well as the starter motor. A failing / bad starter motor would cause more deflection of the Amp meter needle to extreme left (negative) when compared to a good starter motor, while using the starter. Similarly you can identify a lower charging rate or a dirty ignition switch. In short, you can see what is in store for you around the corner in the electrical department, if you observe this humble gadget.

@sayooji
Buddy, 7k is too much for a battery tender. cheap and efficient battery chargers are available in local markets or get someone make one for you. Another way to preserve battery power if the motorcycle sits for more than one month would be to disconnect the battery leads and store the battery in a dry place. And one more thing, it is always safe to charge the battery after disconnecting it from the motorcycle.
regards adrian

Last edited by adrian : 14th November 2014 at 12:15.
Old 14th November 2014, 12:52   #3658
BHPian

Quote:
It is high time they rectify these errors. I don't know if you ride a motorcycle with an Amp meter, but it is a good indicator of the condition of the battery as well as the starter motor. A failing / bad starter motor would cause more deflection of the Amp meter needle to extreme left (negative) when compared to a good starter motor, while using the starter. Similarly you can identify a lower charging rate or a dirty ignition switch. In short, you can see what is in store for you around the corner in the electrical department, if you observe this humble gadget.

@sayooji
Buddy, 7k is too much for a battery tender. cheap and efficient battery chargers are available in local markets or get someone make one for you. Another way to preserve battery power if the motorcycle sits for more than one month would be to disconnect the battery leads and store the battery in a dry place. And one more thing, it is always safe to charge the battery after disconnecting it from the motorcycle.
regards adrian
Yea... 7K is a bit too much. how will we know what to trust in local market? Thats one problem.
Anyways... will continue the search.

Also the Amp meter that you are talking about, that comes only in carb versions rt? DS is FI. so it has an Malfunction Indicator Light and Low fuel warning Light.

@Adrian; I take it that ur from kerala.. Any local product that u knw is most welcome.
Old 15th November 2014, 19:32   #3659
BHPian

Quote:
Yea... 7K is a bit too much. how will we know what to trust in local market? Thats one problem.
Anyways... will continue the search.
I did some search on the net and found some dealers in Bangalore.
http://dir.indiamart.com/bengaluru/b...e-devices.html

Quote:
Also the Amp meter that you are talking about, that comes only in carb versions rt? DS is FI. so it has an Malfunction Indicator Light and Low fuel warning Light.
Yes, the Amp meter is only available in motorcycles with carburetors.

Quote:
@Adrian; I take it that ur from kerala.. Any local product that u knw is most welcome.
Here in Trivandrum we have a street known as "Thakarapparambu" where all types of locally assembled electronic gadgets are sold. Another option would be to contact "Shakthi" Garage Tool dealers at Sreekaryam (Phone : 0471 2594929)

The following is a link which shows how to make a simple battery charger (without automatic cut off).
The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!-batterycharger.jpg
http://myfreetimehobbies.blogspot.in...y-charger.html
You can make it with a 12-0-12 transformer, 4 IN4007 diodes and capacitor for filtering. The cost of assembly will be around Rs.300/-.
Or you can print out the circuit diagram from the following link and get it assembled at a local radio repair shop. Cost of assembly Rs.1000/- at the maximum.
http://www.circuitsgallery.com/2013/...ontroller.html
And Get well soon, buddy
regards adrian

Last edited by adrian : 15th November 2014 at 20:00.
Old 16th November 2014, 13:36   #3660
BHPian

Quote:
I did some search on the net and found some dealers in Bangalore.
http://dir.indiamart.com/bengaluru/b...e-devices.html
Thanks a lot Adrain...
Will find out something / will visit thakarapparambu next time I am in TVM.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks