Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2016, 21:17   #3871
BHPian

Re: The Royal Enfield 500 Classic thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmitr13 View Post
Another issue I face these days is when downshifting, the gear slips to neutral from 3rd. Very frustrating & dangerous when the bike doesn't respond to the throttle after the turn or over the hump, I just don't want to be hit from the behind. The technicians in the SC just adjusted the clutch cable (which I already did) and hoped all-z-well. Now this young chap (SA) agrees to open the clutch box to examine.
Blip the throttle and downshift. You will get cleaner shifts. And don't let that young chap touch your clutch case. Always remember the saying "Don't repair some thing that is not broken" - goes a long way when dealing with motorcycles (especially Royal Enfields)

Last edited by adrian : 27th February 2016 at 21:21.
Old 2nd March 2016, 14:52   #3872
Senior - BHPian

What would be a good oil for the Classic 500 between

ELF moto4tec 10w50
and
Motul 7100 10w50
Old 2nd March 2016, 15:43   #3873
BHPian

i want to learn to ride on a RE - should i get a desert storm or classic chrome? Or wait for a Himalayan. I'm in my 40's - it will be for leisure use and I want to keep my first bike and ride it, even if it gets a few bumps and bruises while I learn, for future nostalgia.
Old 2nd March 2016, 15:57   #3874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautam99 View Post
i want to learn to ride on a RE - should i get a desert storm or classic chrome? Or wait for a Himalayan. I'm in my 40's - it will be for leisure use and I want to keep my first bike and ride it, even if it gets a few bumps and bruises while I learn, for future nostalgia.
I would suggest - Classic Chrome.

It will last very long, has a lot of nostalgic value since it has a lot of chrome, old world charm and it has all the latest technology too, so that you don't have to worry about most things that the old bullet users had to learn (like tappet setting, point setting, compression-decompression, carburetor setting etc). Although that was fun too but the newer Enfield's are a generation ahead than their predecessors. This bike would also require a certain level of pampering though, but its fairly hassle free.

Himalayan is purpose built for mountaineering and such expeditions. Hence it is a totally different bike than the purpose that you have mentioned sir.
The Great is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2016, 16:07   #3875
BHPian

Chrome or classic 500 ? is the chrome easy to keep clean? and do you know if the chrome can be painted over if desired?

RE is saying that the Himalayan is dual purpose. Though completely different from the classic, it has an honest design which makes it appealing.

G

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
I would suggest - Classic Chrome.

It will last very long, has a lot of nostalgic value since it has a lot of chrome, old world charm and it has all the latest technology too, so that you don't have to worry about most things that the old bullet users had to learn (like tappet setting, point setting, compression-decompression, carburetor setting etc). Although that was fun too but the newer Enfield's are a generation ahead than their predecessors. This bike would also require a certain level of pampering though, but its fairly hassle free.

Himalayan is purpose built for mountaineering and such expeditions. Hence it is a totally different bike than the purpose that you have mentioned sir.
Old 2nd March 2016, 16:14   #3876
BHPian

Quote:
Chrome or classic 500 ? is the chrome easy to keep clean? and do you know if the chrome can be painted over if desired?

RE is saying that the Himalayan is dual purpose. Though completely different from the classic, it has an honest design which makes it appealing.

G
The chrome quality is not at all bad on the Classic Chrome. If there were serious rusting issues then the bike would have been discontinued by now. Yes I agree that certain level of maintenance would require from the owner but then you also get to live the regal feel of the Chrome's bygone era.

If you ask me between the two, I would go for the regular Classic 500 Black (which I did), this way you can use it for a few years, then customize the look to whatever you want after a few years. Be it chromed mudguards or different matt / glossy colours etc, the modification possibilities are endless. Just a simple sticker job would also give the bike an exclusive look.

The best part about owning a Royal Enfield is that the customization options will give you lots and lots of years being interested in the same bike and falling in love with it again and again. You can customize it to your taste. If you notice almost all the Enfield's have their own character and style even if the model is same. No two Enfield's are same.

Since in your earlier query you had asked about the Classic Chrome and Desert Storm hence that answer sir. Since now you are asking between Chrome and Black - I went for the latter.

Last edited by The Great : 2nd March 2016 at 16:18.
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2016, 17:07   #3877
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well it is a choice of colour and it is very personal at that one. Both the Classic Chrome and Classic 500 are near identical except different colours. Note that the Classic Chrome is 20mm longer, 10mm wider and 10mm shorter in height than the Classic 500. Although I don't know what difference will this exactly make. But one thing to note is that Classic Chrome has 1 litre extra bigger fuel tank than Classic 500 so you get 30-40kms more range in Classic Chrome, if that is not a deal breaker. I don't think the chrome is painted it must be dipped in chromed at least the mudguards if so. The older CI and AVL Machismo's that used to come in chrome had a proper chrome tank and not chrome paint, so I believe it will be the same for Classic Chrome as well. Also since you stay in Bangalore Classic Chrome would be better as there is no salty air(which affects chrome) in Bangalore as in Bombay.

Also since you are looking at nostalgia why don't you consider the timeless and regal Bullet 500. I think you must take a test ride and then decide. And don't worry about learning to ride on a Bullet, its very easy and forgiving for a new rider. I too learned to ride on a Bullet.

Quote:
Yep Himalayan is indeed a do-it-all motorcycle, it is basically an ADV tourer which can also be used for regular rides. Also remember it is a world of a difference from current models on sale. Everything about the Himalayan is different right from its design to its purpose.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 2nd March 2016 at 17:08.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2016, 15:57   #3878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
What would be a good oil for the Classic 500 between

ELF moto4tec 10w50
and
Motul 7100 10w50
can anybody clarify my query for 2012 Desert Storm?
Old 5th March 2016, 16:30   #3879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
can anybody clarify my query for 2012 Desert Storm?
Motul 7100 will be better.Currently I am using 5100 15w50.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 5th March 2016 at 16:35.
Old 7th March 2016, 00:20   #3880
Senior - BHPian

Any specific reason for no love for elf? Coz KTM and triumph forums are all gaga over this oil.
Old 7th March 2016, 21:53   #3881
Senior - BHPian

While I went to wrap the crash guard of my TB500 with rope, met two CL500 owners. One brand new chrome upgrading the exhaust to GreaseHouse custom while the other already runs on RedRooster.

One question I have is, can these after markets plug and play without any engine tuning on CL500 being an EFI driven bike?
Old 9th March 2016, 21:18   #3882

Hi there! This post happens to be my first one on this awesome website. I booked a Desert Storm from Teknik Motors, Indira Nagar, Bangalore yesterday. I was compelled to write this post as I noticed something which was a heart breaking sight for any RE enthusiast. As soon as I paid the booking amount to the sales executive, he went inside to fetch a receipt for the same. Meanwhile I took a stroll within the showroom. I met two guys within the course of ten minutes there. The first guy took delivery of ash colored classic 350. He looked sulky as opposed to a mental picture of a guy grinning from ear to ear on getting an RE delivered to him. Upon asking the overall experience with the particular showroom, he figuratively detonated like an impending bomb. Turns out he was supposed to get the delivery of bike on Feb 20th. But all he got from the showroom was phoney excuses. He advised me not to book the bike at any cost there. The other guy's story was more or less the same. The only difference being he came there to get his bike delivered to him. The same story followed there as well. He got excuses instead of the bike. I still didn't cancel the booking and went home. I googled the reviews of rest of the RE outlets in Bangalore and turns out that it's the same case with all of them. Dissatisfied customers on the first day of the delivery itself! I wonder what happens with after sales service. Horrendous is the word that comes to the mind. That saying, I have arrived in the RE family to realise the childhood dream of owning an RE bike. Yay but no yay!

Last edited by Not.The.BetiB : 9th March 2016 at 21:34.
Old 9th March 2016, 21:37   #3883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not.The.BetiB View Post
Hi there! This post happens to be my first one on this awesome website. I booked a Desert Storm from Teknik Motors, Indira Nagar, Bangalore yesterday. I was compelled to write this post as I noticed something which was a heart breaking sight for any RE enthusiast. As soon as I paid the booking amount to the sales executive, he went inside to fetch a receipt for the same. Meanwhile I took a stroll within the showroom. I met two guys within the course of ten minutes there. The first guy took delivery of ash colored classic 350. He looked sulky as opposed to a mental picture of a guy grinning from ear to ears on getting an RE delivered to him. Upon asking the overall experience with the particular showroom, he figuratively detonated like an impending bomb. Turns out he was supposed to get the delivery of bike on Feb 20th. But all he got from the showroom was phoney excuses. He advised me not to book the bike at any cost there. The other guy's story was more or less the same. The only difference being he came there to get his bike delivered to him. The same story followed there as well. He got excuses instead of the bike. I still didn't cancel the booking and went home. I googled the reviews of rest of the RE outlets in Bangalore and turns out that it's the same case with all of them. Dissatisfied customers on the first day of the delivery itself! I wonder what happens with after sales service. Horrendous is the word that comes to the mind. That saying, I have arrived in the RE family to realise the childhood dream of owning an RE bike. Yay but no yay!
I guess the waiting period on Desert Storm is not as much as compared to the 350's which are selling like hot cakes.

In any case don't let this minor glitch dishearten the Bulletier in you. Overall the bike is going to be with you for a long time, hence enjoy the moment as it comes sir.

Do read the PDI checklist on our forum too.

Cheers and Happy Riding !!
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th March 2016, 21:56   #3884

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
I guess the waiting period on Desert Storm is not as much as compared to the 350's which are selling like hot cakes.

Do read the PDI checklist on our forum too.

Cheers and Happy Riding !!
Yeah. I was informed that the waiting period for DS is 20 days. But the first hand experience with two disgruntled customers and the reviews of other RE outlets made the RE fanboy in me very nervous.

I have been a keen follower of this thread even when I wasn't a member. Thanks to Randhawa and nasirkaka, we have the thorough PDI checklist which I have bookmarked well in advance.

P.S. Please don't call me sir. I am still a kid when it comes to leap years age

Cheers,
Aradhya.
Not.The.BetiB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2016, 05:53   #3885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not.The.BetiB View Post
Yeah. I was informed that the waiting period for DS is 20 days. But the first hand experience with two disgruntled customers and the reviews of other RE outlets made the RE fanboy in me very nervous.
Congrats for your booking mate!!

Experience you or fellow classic owners had with Teknik motors is more or less same with all the distributors here in Bangalore. I don`t see any surprises because I am accustomed with the careless attitude from the staff till the dealership level. However from my personal experience I feel that the RE customer care is more responsive and helpful.

Talking about the desert storm, I got the bike in mere 5 days as the bike was readily available with the dealer and also unlike Classic 350, 500 series doesn`t command that much waiting period. Be in touch with different dealers in Bangalore, just to get the fair idea about waiting period and also try to see if there is any DS in stock with them,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks