Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2011, 17:27   #466
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda's 250cc Bike : CBR250R!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Autocar test drove the bike in Mumbai & came out impressed. Overdrive have also test driven the bike... &, same opinion.

Nowhere they have mentioned the bad plastics that our mate (vkochar) is referring to, & the photos that they have uploaded do not indicate any such thing. I hope these plastic parts are as good as the ZMA's in real.

The link to the report -
ACI - Honda CBR 250R first India Ride | Autocar India
OD - Exclusive first ride of the Indian CBR250R - CBR250R first ride - Motorcycle : Overdrive
Not pointing fingers at anyone, but I would blindly go with an opinion of a senior member on the forum than a possibly biased and bought opinion of a car magazine.
Besides, VKochar clearly states that his experience is not based on how the bike performs, and he was only focussing on the overall fit and finish whilst at the showroom.
manson is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2011, 17:44   #467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Not pointing fingers at anyone, but I would blindly go with an opinion of a senior member on the forum than a possibly biased and bought opinion of a car magazine.
Besides, VKochar clearly states that his experience is not based on how the bike performs, and he was only focussing on the overall fit and finish whilst at the showroom.
I have not tried offending the senior member, but put across what is quoted in the mag reviews. Also, I expect that the plastics could be good enough to justify the Rs.1.5 lacs price tag. If not, what is point buying a bike where I cannot switch on the lights/indicators or use the horn when I want to. I guess, I would then buy the P220 & be more than happy than wasting twice the money on this.
Alternatively, I could buy the Cl500, as I do not have the permission from my parents to buy the Ninja. Your thoughts please...
Old 23rd April 2011, 17:46   #468
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Please advice on effectiveness of ABS on stopping distance vis-a-vis the non-ABS version, as I have heard that the ABS may prevent me from falling, but, the stopping distance increases. If possible provide weblinks as well.
Thank you in advance
ABS = AntiLock Braking System
In layman language, it aids to avoid skidding / locking your wheels under heavy braking condition enabling you to steer your way out of any obstruction.
Old 23rd April 2011, 17:58   #469
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm interesting observation by Varun. I was frankly expecting top notch fit and finish. If not, I wouldn't see waiting for other 250s as a very bad option.

Would like to see the bike myself once to form an opinion though.

@Vkochar
Would it be possible for you to pay the showroom another visit and take pictures of the offending parts?

@Cardeep
As Manson has already pointed out, ABS will only make your braking safer. ABS comes into play only when tyres skid and are unable to maintain traction due to heavy braking. In those circumstances, ABS will help lower the braking distance (a skidding bike goes farther) as well as provide you with a higher degree of control to avoid any oncoming obstacles.

It is a feature well-worth the premium, and if you have the moolah, I would sincerely request you to go in for the ABS version.

Also, please rely not on magazine reports or member reports too much. Go and test the bike yourself, for it is you who has to buy it. Test ride it, or wait for the bike to spend some time in the market so that you can gauge its shortcomings better.

Cheers
Old 23rd April 2011, 18:18   #470
Senior - BHPian

@manson & @EssYouWe, Thank you for your prompt replies.

I always knew about the meaning of ABS, & its effectiveness in the 4-wheelers, but, my apprehension lies with the 2-wheelers. Please refer the attached link & let me have your views -

xBhp.com : The Global Indian Biking Community - View Single Post - Honda CBR250R launched,Price updated in Honda2wheeler Official website

from this I infer I am better off without the ABS version, considering the roads that I generally take to reach my destination (s).

Last edited by CARDEEP : 23rd April 2011 at 18:20.
Old 23rd April 2011, 18:26   #471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Thanks Manson, I am more of a car guy and having owned only a CBZ more than a decade back, this was my first visit to a bike showroom in years, I have never driven any bikes these last 10 years ( maybe a R15 and a Ninja for a few minutes which friends brought ) and my opinion was based on a 10 minute showroom visit and some close inspection of the motorcycle.

I have only visited car showrooms these last 10 years.

The 250 CBR is an excellent VFM & a good bike in all sense BUT spending almost 1.6 lacs I'd expect a certain finesse which the CBR lacked - the light, the tyres, the brakes, the fairing all were good - BUT the plastics, the seat fabric, the side stand, the switches looked poor - I do not mind paying an extra 5 - 10k on 1.6 lacs BUT they better be top notch as the switches, side stands and seat is the most used part after tyres - is it not ?

I will go once again and see if I can get a TD and proper pics.

Quote:
I have not tried offending the senior member, but put across what is quoted in the mag reviews. Also, I expect that the plastics could be good enough to justify the Rs.1.5 lacs price tag. If not, what is point buying a bike where I cannot switch on the lights/indicators or use the horn when I want to. I guess, I would then buy the P220 & be more than happy than wasting twice the money on this.
Alternatively, I could buy the Cl500, as I do not have the permission from my parents to buy the Ninja. Your thoughts please...
Exactly my point

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Hmmm interesting observation by Varun. I was frankly expecting top notch fit and finish. If not, I wouldn't see waiting for other 250s as a very bad option.

Would like to see the bike myself once to form an opinion though.

@Vkochar
Would it be possible for you to pay the showroom another visit and take pictures of the offending parts?
I could go there on Monday - the only turn off point is the sales girl there calls me twice a day - I am sure they are not really selling in huge numbers in Agra and I have a feeling that they have ordered more than they booked.

I saw the ACI show today afternoon and I saw the 5 minute bike drive the reviewer had in Mumbai - The bike looked very nice and as per the reviewer it was driving very nice. BUT they talked about nothing else - and it would be another 2-3 weeks maybe before they do a full blown review.

Meanwhile - please do not get disappointed or disinterested if I say anything about the plastics. It's my personal opinion.

The bike looks super hot and maybe I was expecting more out of it. I am still double minded though.

Will try and get photos of the not - so - liked parts soon. I am surprised Agra has received the bikes and other big cities have not.
Old 23rd April 2011, 20:25   #472
BHPian

After vkochar's comment about the bad plastics i was impatient to see the bike. So went to the hsowroom this morning and they had 1 black on display. I was not allowed to touch the bike . But i could take some pictures.

I have to sadly agree with vkochar about the plastics. I think all the locally sourced parts ie the plastics, seats, switches etc are poor in quality. I checked out a unicorn and it had better plastics than teh CBR.

Some in another forum had commented about the poor handlebars. I guess even they are locally sourced. I thought honda would do better than this. All teh excitement seems to have drained out of me for this bike after seeing the godawful plastic parts.

Attaching some pictures taken today. You be the judge.

Paint wrinkled and peeling off from the silver strip attached to side of seat

Honda's 250cc Bike : CBR250R!-img_10211.jpg

Looks like a seat which a local cobler would stich up in half an hour with cheap art leather

Honda's 250cc Bike : CBR250R!-img_10314.jpg

Grey flimsy plastic that looks like it will go white and brittle in a few months . Feels like it will break when you tug on it.

Honda's 250cc Bike : CBR250R!-img_10410.jpg
Old 23rd April 2011, 22:05   #473
Team-BHP Support

I went there prepared to be disappointed!

That she wont be worth the money involved; that she would be too small for me; that she wont be proportional with a small rear spoiling that heavy front; that her drinking habit would hurt my pocket even more; that although i like her- i wouldn't be able to make such a big commitment.

But, i fell in love! Again...

But will I be able to spend Rs. 1,86,307/- on a bike!

PS- I agree with the handlebar! Looked like bad painting quality. Didnt notice the rest of the plastics though (Didnt look this close. Nice observation there -NUT-case. But i still feel its good VFM. A very well proportioned 250cc bike for 1.5lakhs! I loved it.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 23rd April 2011 at 22:07.
Old 23rd April 2011, 22:56   #474
Senior - BHPian

Just checked out the CBR250R at a Honda showroom in Pimpri, called Sterling Honda.

The motorcycle looks like a scaled down VFR, and much better in the flesh than in photos.

Plastic quality, especially the engine fairing was a serious letdown for me personally, and I think that the two tone silver finish for the red and black motorcycles actually makes it look a little garish. It simply looks too glossy and I think a matt finish on the fairing would really have done wonders to the looks.

Weld joints looked unfinished on the trellis section on the frame and I would have definitely liked some more attention to detail by Honda.

The rest of the cycle parts, which personally is my biggest concern, appeared to be well built and looked sturdy enough for a Honda.

The R15, somehow feels better built than the CBR250R when it comes to overall build quality including that of the switch gear which look down market on a 1.5 Lakh plus motorcycle.

The clutch felt very light, almost like that of the Unicorn/Dazzler.

The CBR250R also felt smallish, echoing the same feelings I had during the launch of the R15. Could be just right for the average Indian frame though. I for one, feel that the CBR looks just the right size for a 250.

Gauging by the number of walkins for the bike, on a Saturday afternoon, It looks like Honda will have a winner on it's hands.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 24th April 2011, 10:06   #475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
Plastic quality, especially the engine fairing was a serious letdown for me personally, and I think that the two tone silver finish for the red and black motorcycles actually makes it look a little garish. It simply looks too glossy and I think a matt finish on the fairing would really have done wonders to the looks.

Weld joints looked unfinished on the trellis section on the frame and I would have definitely liked some more attention to detail by Honda.
+1 - I was thinking if CBR episode was too good to be true - 250cc bike for 1.5L+ -

The bike looks small (and would be appear even smaller with me on it :P ) and the plastic quality is NOT fitting for a 1.5L bike. Fairing seems a let down in quality too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
The R15, somehow feels better built than the CBR250R when it comes to overall build quality including that of the switch gear which look down market on a 1.5 Lakh plus motorcycle.

The CBR250R also felt smallish, echoing the same feelings I had during the launch of the R15.
Despite all my cribs about R15 lacking in power, I NEVER for once complained it lacked in quality. All the parts were SOLID and never felt lacking. I feel like saying "I love quality" (Honda's tagline) - So, I'll stay with R15 :P

Last edited by sriramv.iyer : 24th April 2011 at 10:07.
Old 24th April 2011, 10:16   #476
BHPian

Is CB250R worth the moolah?

I was carried away by the thinking CBR250R is an awesome value for money. I paused to think a bit -

1. We have 220cc (Pulsar) / 223 cc (ZMA/ZMR) bikes already - Producing up to 21 BHP (CBR produces 25 BHP)

2. ZMR has PGM-Fi as CBR

3. ZMR/ZMA seems to be better built

4. ZMR is priced 94K ex-showroom Bangalore (52 K less than CBR)

5. R15, though has only 17 BHP, is much better built and technically more advanced esp in chassis front (others: camshaft balancer (does CBR have one?))

6. CBR250R is single cylinder as all the bikes discussed above

So, do you really think CBR250R is priced as 'VFM'?
Old 24th April 2011, 10:24   #477
BHPian

Re: Is CB250R worth the moolah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
I was carried away by the thinking CBR250R is an awesome value for money. I paused to think a bit -

1. We have 220cc (Pulsar) / 223 cc (ZMA/ZMR) bikes already - Producing up to 21 BHP (CBR produces 25 BHP)

2. ZMR has PGM-Fi as CBR

5. R15, though has only 17 BHP, is much better built and technically more advanced esp in chassis front (others: camshaft balancer (does CBR have one?))

Bang on mate, you hit the nail on the head, I think these Auto Mags are also Honda loyalist for some reason and praise everything they produce, I'm sure Honda CBR 250 is a good bike, but not by that great a margin for which the preminum is quoted.
Old 24th April 2011, 10:36   #478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post

2. ZMR has PGM-Fi as CBR

Sorry for nitpicking, the ZMR produces only 17-18 bhp from its 223cc mill. Its fairing vibrates a lot as well.
The CBR's functioning parts seem to be made much better. Only the localized parts suffer from shoddy quality. I am sure it would not vibrate like crazy while riding.
The P220 is a good option if all you want is straight line speed. But it really is not in the same league as even the R15, as far as the riding joy is concerned. The body does not feel taught. (no offense to any P220 owners)

Your point pointing out that ZMR is better built than the CBR is purely speculative.

At the same time, I am disappointed with the quality of plastics. Quality is all that one expects from Honda. I am surprised they have sacrificed that part.

Still, I hope it sells in big numbers prompting Yam to bring in a hot 250 twin or the Ninja to be priced ~2-2.25 lacs.
Old 24th April 2011, 10:49   #479
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmanaman View Post
Bang on mate, you hit the nail on the head, I think these Auto Mags are also Honda loyalist for some reason and praise everything they produce, I'm sure Honda CBR 250 is a good bike, but not by that great a margin for which the preminum is quoted.
Thanks mate! Totally agree...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Sorry for nitpicking, the ZMR produces only 17-18 bhp from its 223cc mill. Its fairing vibrates a lot as well.
Driven ZMR for a short distance - Didnt notice vibration. Agree it produces only 17.6 bhp

Quote:
The CBR's functioning parts seem to be made much better. Only the localized parts suffer from shoddy quality
How does it matter to the end-user which part is localized or not?

Quote:
I am sure it would not vibrate like crazy while riding.
This statement is speculative

Quote:
Your point pointing out that ZMR is better built than the CBR is purely speculative.
ABSOLUTELY NOT - Checked out CBR before commenting. Owned a ZMA and have driven friend's ZMR for short distances

Quote:
At the same time, I am disappointed with the quality of plastics. Quality is all that one expects from Honda. I am surprised they have sacrificed that part.
Agree

Quote:
Still, I hope it sells in big numbers prompting Yam to bring in a hot 250 twin or the Ninja to be priced ~2-2.25 lacs.
Totally agree! My expectations are similar

The point of my earlier post was not to say CBR is a bad machine at all. All the 'oohs' and 'aahs' of Honda making a VFM machine seems to be wrongly placed.

It is a good bike (I am almost sure I might take it) - But I dont think it is VFM anymore.

Last edited by sriramv.iyer : 24th April 2011 at 11:16.
Old 24th April 2011, 11:06   #480
BHPian

I saw the bike in detail yesterday , a few points that I noted

1. The exhaust looks cheap. It looks like a fat black pipe with cheap matte tin plate over it
2. The bike is very very compact. The bike looks small on a tall chap. (5'10" +)
3. Switch gear looks cheap. Handlebar also looks of cheap quality.Black colour was already coming off the edges.
4. Huge gaps in side panels (black ones) , fairing and between side panels and seat.
5. Indicators have a glossy finish and look flimsy
6. Fuel tank lid is of the zma.
7. The console is very very compact. It could have been bigger and well laid out.
8. I wish they had come out with better colours and black engine/body colour.The bike looks commuterish. Even the red colour looks dull and average.
9. Front number plate looks super ugly
10. Mirrors , paint finish on tank, alloys , discs, chain all look high quality parts. The bike looks proportionate for its size.
11.Foot pegs look like taken off from a commuter bike.
12. Should be a good upgrade for people who cant go all the way to buy a Ninja and want something more powerful than the r15/220/zma
13. Comparable performance to the Ninja at half the price will make this a huge success
14. Personally , I would have prefered the price to be 20-30k lower to make it a VFM bike.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks