Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2011, 14:54   #61
Team-BHP Support

Re: Bikes of yesteryear and long forgotten : Anybody still riding them?

This is the number I own in Kerala – the handsome Yezdi Roadking.

I bought this in 1996 December – probably the last one to buy a showroom fresh Roadking in Thrissur. The FE was just around 25-30 kpl, but the gleaming grey Roadking used to be a star among the puny 100cc crowd.

After I moved to Singapore (in end 2000), the usage was bare minimum, and slowly age started catching up. Then during one of my trip to India, my good friend offered to take the bike to his place. He and his dad helped to bring life back to the Roadking, and this is how he looks now!
Attached Thumbnails
Bikes of yesteryear and long forgotten : Anybody still riding them?-yezdi2.jpg  

Bikes of yesteryear and long forgotten : Anybody still riding them?-yezdi3.jpg  

Bikes of yesteryear and long forgotten : Anybody still riding them?-yezdi5.jpg  

Old 19th April 2011, 15:38   #62
Senior - BHPian

^^ That Road King looks absolutely nice!

The Yezdis were unique in some aspects. The gear shifter also doubled as the kick starter, and the front/back wheels were interchangeable, I think. IMO no other bike had these traits.
Old 19th April 2011, 17:51   #63
BHPian

Re: Can anyone identify this moped ?

In the early 80's Enfield had introduced a similar 2-speed 65 cc bike (moped) called Silver Plus in collaboration with Zundapp of Germany. It was a resounding flop however.

Last edited by tortoiseNhare : 19th April 2011 at 17:55. Reason: correction regarding engine capacity
Old 19th April 2011, 23:36   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
In the early 80's Enfield had introduced a similar 2-speed 65 cc bike (moped) called Silver Plus in collaboration with Zundapp of Germany. It was a resounding flop however.
It also had a cousins the Enfield Explorer, which was below 100cc, alloy wheels, foot gear, two stroke, looked very cool. Then came the real boy from Enfield the F U R Y the real stunner which was not like anything those days, she was a real beauty my college principal used to drive it, old man became young on it.

Unfortunately these good bikes didnt stand up in the market but I really miss the FURY till date.
Old 20th April 2011, 08:31   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
I Think the explorer was the first motorcycle in the Indian market with mag wheels ? It was very popular with its distinctive looks & sleek looks over Bullet & Yezdi in those days.
I think there was one step through from Chamundi Motors which had mag wheels before Explorer / Silver Plus. Was the name of the moped Sportiff?

With thanks and regards
Old 20th April 2011, 08:45   #66
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ That Road King looks absolutely nice!

The Yezdis were unique in some aspects. The gear shifter also doubled as the kick starter, and the front/back wheels were interchangeable, I think. IMO no other bike had these traits.
Yes, the gearshift was something unique for the Yezdi. Even though at times it give some grease / oil on the Jeans, it was great fun indeed
Old 20th April 2011, 08:55   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
I have a 1949 Norton ES-II 500 and i still ride it. It works just fine and attracts a lot of attention whenever it goes thumping by past an appreciating eye. Need to be restored now, looks aged, needs a good paint and a minor tuning job, still its very reliable!! Just love it!!
Gogi bhaaji, Photos of your bike pls , let us see how it looks .
Old 20th April 2011, 09:24   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glomus123 View Post
I think there was one step through from Chamundi Motors which had mag wheels before Explorer / Silver Plus. Was the name of the moped Sportiff?

With thanks and regards
That was from Peugeot, but I don't think it came before Explorer.
Old 20th April 2011, 17:44   #69
Senior - BHPian

Speaking of long forgotten.

Barn (Garage) Find. Yezdi (I think)Type B. Parked for over 12 years in a fully closed Garage in Chennai.

Owner passed away recently. Son would like to restore it however is unable to.
No papers other than a Installment receipt available.

Anyone willing to bring it back to life?
Maybe we can approach the RTO for a copy of RC?

Last edited by IronWolf : 20th April 2011 at 17:45. Reason: Image issues
Old 20th April 2011, 22:49   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
Hello tortoiseNhare,
Silver plus is not a 65 cc bike it is a 50cc, came with 2 speed when launched @ '85 and later as a 3 speed version
Great bike.....TYPICAL GERMAN engineering

".....Silver Plus in collaboration with Zundapp of Germany. It was a resounding flop however.[/quote]"
It was not a collaboration,, it was like this When Zundapp shut their doors in Germany at early '80 s, En field India took the rights for 4 of their flag ship models namely Fury dx 175 ( 163cc), Zundapp KS 125 ( however this didn't come). Zundapp cs 50 ( Explorer cs 50) and Zundapp 50cc step thru' ( SILVER PLUS)
Also a 22cc Mofa miniped ( however it shared the famous Minerali 22 cc engine)
Even Fury had its last laugh, Silver plus & Explorers ruled the market in their respective segment....only due to poor market promotion, service back up by then m/s Enfeild India ltd
Silver plus s & Explorers were stopped...but still lives in real enthusiasts heart.
ps: 1) Do you know SILVER PLUS & EXPLORER s where exported to Germany by our own Enfield India ltg @ '80 s !!
2) Me - have all the four machines
a) FURY Dx 175, b) Explorer, c) Silver plus 2speed & a MOFA

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

Last edited by karlosdeville : 21st April 2011 at 12:12. Reason: Please stick to the 2 smilies per post rule. Thanks.
Old 21st April 2011, 11:27   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
1) Do you know SILVER PLUS & EXPLORER s where exported to Germany by our own Enfield India ltg @ '80 s !!
2) Me - have all the four machines
a) FURY Dx 175, b) Explorer, c) Silver plus 2speed & a MOFA
You rewoke my memories. As silverplus was the bike / moped on which I learned riding and engine repair. I loved her attitude (the nakhras). When new she was a gem, smooth as butter. b, o

Silencer bend pipe allways gave troubles, so also the gear shifting pin. On a letter to Enfield we got half engine free of cost which was a 3 speed foot operated gear shift unit from the explorer.

How ever her days were limited, and now she lies in knocked down condition with many parts missing. One day I plan to restore her back to originality.
Old 21st April 2011, 12:28   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It was not a collaboration,, it was like this When Zundapp shut their doors in Germany at early '80 s, En field India took the rights for 4 of their flag ship models namely Fury dx 175 ( 163cc), Zundapp KS 125 ( however this didn't come). Zundapp cs 50 ( Explorer cs 50) and Zundapp 50cc step thru' ( SILVER PLUS)
This 125 cc was to have been named "Enterprise" but did not see the light of day.

Does anyone remember the tag line of the Fury ads? It was "Guts and glory - Enfield Fury"!
Old 21st April 2011, 14:45   #73
BHPian

[quote=Shreeram;2310936]If May I add one here

Rajdoot GT 175 - AKA Bobby Rajdoot.. Still Used everyday by an Elderly gentleman in pune

If I may also add, the SX endura series from Bajaj. IMHO, they were the first (most possibly only) dirt bike types launched in India.

Andy
Old 21st April 2011, 20:32   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
The Explorer.

How ever her days were limited, and now she lies in knocked down condition with many parts missing. One day I plan to restore her back to originality.
Your Explorer lies in "knocked down condition".hmm..mm
My 1985 ,CS 50 which came as CKD kits{ completely knocked down kits) from Germany & assembled at Enfield India
Was restored to its stock glory, just few weeks from know!!
This way:>>

powertwin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2011, 21:42   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Your Explorer lies in "knocked down condition".hmm..mm
My 1985 ,CS 50 which came as CKD kits{ completely knocked down kits) from Germany & assembled at Enfield India
Was restored to its stock glory, just few weeks from know!!
This way:>>
Wow awesome, this gives me itch to do up mine too, but then I have lost one wheel and couple of body parts. Few months ago bangalore gujari had all the needed parts to do up my bike. I need to find time and resources to do her up, I got the owners manual and letters to emfield + some reciepts too.

Edit: Did you rebuild the engine too?? I think not, a Zundapp was not required to do so, but then all enfield engines required frequent overhauls. By the way I also got a free flow exhaust for the bike.

Last edited by manishalive : 21st April 2011 at 21:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks