Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2015, 21:31   #1756
BHPian

Just upgraded to the RCD 510 and the speakers sound better. A few hiccups and still have to install the BT module though
mav2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2015, 09:43   #1757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Just upgraded to the RCD 510 and the speakers sound better. A few hiccups and still have to install the BT module though
What variant did you have previously? No warrant concerns?
Old 15th January 2015, 09:45   #1758
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:

This is the last part that will fail you that will require warranty coverage. Yes it has a probability to fail and which part doesnt but that probability is so low that you can take a chance.

Dont worry about these plug and play and warranty. The RCD510 is the standard system even in the old version of jetta.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2015, 10:41   #1759
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Nice. I believe you had the RCD 220 before? Are you aware if VW changed any harnesses inside? How much did it set you back by? The system, parts and labor.
Old 15th January 2015, 11:54   #1760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahir View Post
I had the RCD 320. While its nice that it has all the functions, it just looks to plain jane in this car. I have spoken to the service advisor on the warranty issue at length and have been told that as long as there is no cutting and splicing of wires, there wont be any issue. You do lose the warranty on the existing music system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
This is the last part that will fail you that will require warranty coverage. Yes it has a probability to fail and which part doesnt but that probability is so low that you can take a chance.

Dont worry about these plug and play and warranty. The RCD510 is the standard system even in the old version of jetta.
Not exactly plug and play as some VCCDS coding will also be required. Also the harness that comes for lowline to highline has the can wires out and not connected. For this you need to cut the plugs off the two orange wires and re crimp them with larger pins, which will match the pins in the low line side of the adapter, as marked in the red box in the pic. This way, you do not have to connect these to the BCM or anything like that. It just needs to be connected to Canbus plus and ground. Please make sure you are putting the recrimped cables in the right place by checking the wire diagram on your older system and the wire diagram on the newer system.

And below is a pic of the pin you need to recrimp with. I can manage crimping by myself as I have done a lot of work on computer PSU's before, but if you are a novice at it or dont have the tools, I am sure in Bangalore guys in SP Road area will do it for 5-10 bucks as its only two pins.

The rest of it is not very tough to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Nice. I believe you had the RCD 220 before? Are you aware if VW changed any harnesses inside? How much did it set you back by? The system, parts and labor.
I had the RCD 320 before, this was the slightly upgraded Jetta. The harness inside is the lowline system as the RCD 320 is a standalone system. So any upgrade will require lowline to higline harness as shown above.

The system, with bluetooth set me back around 15,000 + 1400 as customs. This includes all cables and connectors, including plug and play bluetooth harness, FAKRA cable for the antenna and harness for lowline to highline. Labour was free as I did the whole thing myself. I had spoken to Manju over the phone a couple of times to understand how to do it and then did it myself. Took about 2 hours to do it including crimping the wires.

I still have to install the bluetooth module and activate it, but I think I am going to get that done by Evo (Sathya) rather than try doing that myself.

I think we need to have a separate thread for all audio queries for the VW group. I had a hell of a time trying to put things together and getting data from separate threads to collate with one another. For eg. for a long time I thought the two unconnected pins would go to the BCM Module and was confused about that as well. Finally having a chat with a few people kind of sorted it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img20150111wa0003.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by mav2000 : 15th January 2015 at 12:05.
mav2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2015, 19:13   #1761
BHPian

Quote:
. . .

Congrats on the system!
It does uplift the ambience of the car.
Any word on OPS? You got the display working?
Old 16th January 2015, 20:33   #1762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
Congrats on the system!
It does uplift the ambience of the car.
Any word on OPS? You got the display working?
Thanks man. Next order of business is to fix the Bluetooth and then get the vcds coding. As per my understanding, coding is required to get ops to work. Will keep you guys posted.

I wish the cable sold on aliexpress had the can wires connected as wrll . would have reduced my install time by at least half an hour
Old 17th January 2015, 00:20   #1763
BHPian

Quote:
I had the RCD 320. While its nice that it has all the functions, it just looks to plain jane in this car. I have spoken to the service advisor on the warranty issue at length and have been told that as long as there is no cutting and splicing of wires, there wont be any issue. You do lose the warranty on the existing music system.
Thanks for sharing this but doesnt the highline have the rcd510? I was referring to more of a speaker upgrade. The td car I drove had terrible sound, scattered & blurred. I was told by an installer that changing to focal ic 165 components & coaxials (specifically made for vw cars) should sort the audio out to a great extent.

Also, I was informed that the highline comes with a factory fitted amp. True?

Last edited by Zahir : 17th January 2015 at 00:21.
Old 22nd January 2015, 11:23   #1764
BHPian

VW Website says Jetta comfortline have blutooth option, to my surprise i could not locate it. On contacting VW on facebook they directed me to VW dealer and sales guy told me that blutooth is not available in comfort line.

I dont know whom I have to trust, my purchase decision was made based on the specification listed on their website and now they are washing their hand.

I am thinking of approaching consumer court unless dealership comes out with a clear resolution. What you guys suggest?
Old 22nd January 2015, 12:27   #1765
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by svkndv View Post
VW Website says Jetta comfortline have blutooth option, to my surprise i could not locate it.
Could not locate it where exactly? In the car physically or the website?

The 1.4 TSI Comfortline comes with the cheaper RCD320 HU which supports BT connectivity. Snap for reference from member mav2000's ownership thread:

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-photo-1.jpg

The 2.0 TDI Comfortline comes with the RCD510 HU which also supports BT.

Quote:
I am thinking of approaching consumer court
Woah hold on!
Old 22nd January 2015, 12:42   #1766
BHPian

Quote:
VW
Which HU did your car come with?
The Comfortline Jetta sold nowadays come with RCD 320 as standard in both petrol and diesel variants.
However I came across a Comfortline Jetta TDI in Chandigarh dealership that had the climate control and new alloys but was sporting RCD 300 plus with rear speakers which are not available in the Comortline now.
I thought it was a one off case but may be not.
Here is a pic from the Team bhp official review thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-dsc_4146.jpg  

Last edited by ishlinea7260 : 22nd January 2015 at 12:45.
Old 22nd January 2015, 12:47   #1767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Could not locate it where exactly? In the car physically or the website?

The 1.4 TSI Comfortline comes with the cheaper RCD320 HU which supports BT connectivity. Snap for reference from member mav2000's ownership thread:

The 2.0 TDI Comfortline comes with the RCD510 HU which also supports BT.

Woah hold on!

Unable to locate it in the car, It appears to me that some old HU without Bluetooth option fitted in my Car. Comfort-line diesel I bought last month and expected this feature with it.

HU of 2.0 TDI comfort-line that I own definitely not RCD510 it comes with something similar to my last car Vento.

Last edited by svkndv : 22nd January 2015 at 12:48.
Old 22nd January 2015, 13:02   #1768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
Which HU did your car come with?
The Comfortline Jetta sold nowadays come with RCD 320 as standard in both petrol and diesel variants.
However I came across a Comfortline Jetta TDI in Chandigarh dealership that had the climate control and new alloys but was sporting RCD 300 plus with rear speakers which are not available in the Comortline now.
I thought it was a one off case but may be not.
Here is a pic from the Team bhp official review thread.
It appears exactly as the one shown in picture. Manual came along with the car says 310+ also with a telephone system manual. But not of any use as HU menu does contain any of those mentioned in the user guide.

Volkswagen customer care asked me to contact local dealer and dealer says Bluetooth does not exists in comfort-line. So point is some mess up happened and no one want own it up.

Last edited by svkndv : 22nd January 2015 at 13:14.
Old 22nd January 2015, 13:36   #1769
BHPian

Quote:
Even the SA I interacted with was clueless so as to why there were cars in exactly same trim level sporting different HU and different no: of speakers.
I personally think you have got better deal as you have factory fitted all around speakers , I had to convince my dealership to install rear speakers before I took delivery.
And since there is no separate bluetooth module for the RCD 320 HU you can only dial the last dialled no: from the HU.
Also you cannot transfer contacts to the HU.
I guess its a matter of what one gives more importance to, the ease of BT functionality or the decent sound quality , its shameful that even after asking for 1.5 million Rs Volkswagen still shortchanges its custmers!
ishlinea7260 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2015, 14:00   #1770
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So point is some mess up happened and no one want own it up.
Did you not notice this when you did the PDI of the car? This HU is pretty old FWIK and from the website information, the diesel comfortline is supposed to come with the RCD 320 HU:

Name:  1.PNG
Views: 1380
Size:  48.3 KB
(I mentioned RCD 510 in the previous post; apologies!)

Just curious. Did you check the month and year of manufacturing of the car using with the VIN? I hope the car did not belong to an old lot.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks