Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2015, 18:46   #1891
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Hi,

Yes. These are quotes for 2nd year renewal for Jetta DSG Highline. The IDV is 15.44 Lakhs for 2nd year. The IDV for first year was 18.38 Lakhs.

Is yours a Highline DSG too? What is the IDV of your vehicle in the 3rd year?
Mine is a 2013 Comfortline TDI and I got these quotes for an IDV of 14.5 lacs which I specifically requested.

Your quotes are quite decent bro considering the IDV and that its a 2nd year renewal. I had the same plan for my 2nd year and got it for around 37K with Drive Assure Economy on a similar IDV as yours.
Old 24th March 2015, 19:15   #1892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
I checked with vw and if you take the warranty before one year is up its around 40-43k for a 2 yr extension. Take the vw app on your phone and show it to them. Its given in that.

This is a big grouse for me, as the Octavia has the same warranty extension at half the price.
Unlike skoda, vw warranty is directly from the company and not the dealer. Take it up with vw support, the dealer quoting you 60k will be in trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Refer the pricing put up by VW on their website:

Attachment 1351355
Old 24th March 2015, 20:18   #1893
BHPian

I have a Highline DSG 2014 model delivered in Nov 2013. When I did the renewal last November, the IDV was 17.10 lakhs and the premium I paid was 44,000, including coverage of full depreciation as well as consumables. This is after 20% NCB. To further help you, the basic premium amounted to ~32,700, while the add-on coverage was ~12,500 (including ~3,500 consumables coverage). All amounts are inclusive of service tax.

First year IDV was around 18.10 lakhs, and premium I paid was 49,700 with no carry over NCB.

I preferred to have a higher IDV rather than lower, which is why the higher premium.
reverse_gear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 10:35   #1894
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewheelin_KD View Post
...I got these quotes for an IDV of 14.5 lacs which I specifically requested...
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
I preferred to have a higher IDV rather than lower, which is why the higher premium.
Hi Freewheelin_KD, reverse_gear,

I see that both of you had chosen a higher IDV. Is there any particular reason to go for a higher IDV?
Old 25th March 2015, 11:01   #1895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I see that both of you had chosen a higher IDV. Is there any particular reason to go for a higher IDV?
For a few thousand rupees of additional premium, I think it makes sense to go for a higher IDV for these higher segment euro cars because a higher IDV gets you that amount in case an unfortunate thing like a total loss occurs.

Also, but not always, you can use it as a broad benchmark for prices to ask when you are considering selling it since the used market is quite depressed for these cars.
Freewheelin_KD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 12:02   #1896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewheelin_KD View Post
For a few thousand rupees of additional premium, I think it makes sense to go for a higher IDV for these higher segment euro cars because a higher IDV gets you that amount in case an unfortunate thing like a total loss occurs.
Theoretically, Yes. But practically, Not so easy as it sounds. A genuine insurer who is ready to tell the practical side of it would admit this too. I was of the same opinion as you till last year. This has been discussed extensively long back in insurance threads. I had researched the same last year and sadly learnt that all those years I paid extra premium for higher IDV for no real reason but only for a false sense of security. If you want details, you could go through insurance threads on the forum.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2015, 20:42   #1897
Senior - BHPian

The IDV can state 1CR but the depreciation is applied as standard while doing a total loss claim. Some expert in Insurance can clarify but the declared IDV does not really factor into final payout where the market rate of the car may come into effect or even the original IDV value comes into effect and a standard depreciation is applied to calculate current IDV value.

In case of insurance the best option is to shop for different deals and find the cheapest with maximum value.

My 5th year with Jetta with full bumper to bumper cover from one insurer was 34k and another was around 17-18K. Start shopping every year. Your NCB is always transferrable.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2015, 16:43   #1898
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The IDV can state 1CR but the depreciation is applied as standard while doing a total loss claim. Some expert in Insurance can clarify but the declared IDV does not really factor into final payout where the market rate of the car may come into effect or even the original IDV value comes into effect and a standard depreciation is applied to calculate current IDV value.

In case of insurance the best option is to shop for different deals and find the cheapest with maximum value.

My 5th year with Jetta with full bumper to bumper cover from one insurer was 34k and another was around 17-18K. Start shopping every year. Your NCB is always transferrable.
IDV is based on car purchase price reduced by a standard depreciation schedule based on the age. So in the first year, IDV will be 95% of ex-showroom, second year 85%, etc. There is an option that insurance companies allow for the owner to self-declare a lower IDV, by up to 5-10% (approx number) in order to lower the premium. Having said this, would like to point out a few corrections to your post:
- IDV cannot randomly state 1 cr if the car ex-showroom is ~18 lakh.
- depreciation as standard is already factored into IDV
- You have used different terms like declared IDV, original IDV and current IDV. There are no 3 numbers, this is a single figure which is calculated every year and printed on your insurance policy. If you are referring to previous year's IDV, it is not really relevant at all to what you can claim.
- IDV represents the amount the insurer is entitled to in the case of total loss. It is printed on your policy document. However, insurance companies try to cheat customers by not paying out the IDV and bringing in the random concept of market rates, which is actually immaterial to the total loss claim. But if the customer stays firm, insurance firm has no option but to pay out IDV. There are several examples of full IDV payout on this site itself (and also others where full payout was not done). Have given one sample link below.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2660296

It's just a personal preference, whether you would want to go in for a higher IDV or a lower IDV.
reverse_gear is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2015, 15:38   #1899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
My two bits on one option that will soon be available to you. Since you are in the fifth year, you will probably not have bumper to bumper cover next time you renew. Given the parts depreciation rates that will eat into your claim, one additional option available to you would be only third party insurance. Especially if you have accumulated NCB, you could move to third party insurance, get an NCB retention letter from the insurer, and utilise the NCB discount any time over the next 3 years when you buy a new car.
Old 31st March 2015, 23:18   #1900
Senior - BHPian

Why not? Reliance is all over the tv with Nil Depreciation being touted for 15 year old cars. In fact was speaking to fellow TBHpian gaurav_chopra04 who is in the business of car insurance and he was telling me that his principals (Bharati AXA) have started offering 0 depreciation policies for vehicles up to the 9th year.

Quote:
Since you are in the fifth year, you will probably not have bumper to bumper cover next time you renew. \
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2015, 07:55   #1901
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Why not? Reliance is all over the tv with Nil Depreciation being touted for 15 year old cars. In fact was speaking to fellow TBHpian gaurav_chopra04 who is in the business of car insurance and he was telling me that his principals (Bharati AXA) have started offering 0 depreciation policies for vehicles up to the 9th year.
How does it work - Any idea?

That is, if there is a claim of non plastic parts, will 100% be reimbursed up to 9 or 15 years?

If that is the case, we can retain these modern cars for a minimum period of 7 years without much worry..
Old 1st April 2015, 10:20   #1902
Team-BHP Support

I would like to thank all the fellow TBHP-ians who guided with me lots of information on the renewal of insurance.

I continued with Bajaj Allianz with Drive Assure Elite Economy (bumper to bumper cover), and paid a premium of 35.7K.
Old 1st April 2015, 10:23   #1903
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
I was not aware of this. Do you have any details of this? Incidentally, Bharti AXA website still mentions that zer dep is available only for vehicles up to 5 years old (as do most other insurance companies).

http://www.bharti-axagi.co.in/car-insurance/add-ons

If they have started offering beyond 5 years, what is the premium they charge for this and are there any additional restrictions/ exclusions?
Old 1st April 2015, 16:06   #1904
Senior - BHPian

You may pm gaurav_chopra04 for more details or post your query on the insurance thread for detailed response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
How does it work - Any idea?
Quote:
I was not aware of this. Do you have any details of this?
Old 5th April 2015, 01:53   #1905
BHPian

HI Forum members,

I need some advice on how to drive my Jetta on bad road on Indian ghats.

We are a young couple and love driving to various forts around Pune for trekking. I drove to Singhgad Fort today with family, this was my first long drive on my Jetta after it came home almost 2 weeks back.

Although my overall experience with the Jetta was exhilirating with the Jetta just munching the kilometres at high speeds with amazing stability and control.

I only have one major gripe/query from my drive today:

How to handle really bad roads (normal and ghats) on a car like the Jetta

a) Do we go at a fast-enough speed (30-40 kmph) so the Jetta kind of glides over the potholes? (I have read on the forum though that there is a danger of tyres being affected or even damaged)
b) Do I do what I used to do with my Santro, almost come to a stop and gently cross the potholes. I have never quite achieved that peaceful crossing on these roads though, I have just come back with jarring thuds in most cases. I tried this a number of times with my Jetta today too and came back with the same output.

Any inputs will be really appreciated forum, any other tips for getting the best out of the Jetta would be really helpful as well. I love my car and want to treat it right!

Regards

Most Viewed