Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2015, 06:15   #1876
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Hi
The dealer lost my key.

They have offered to change the code of my lock and have done it to my spare key.Another new key is on the way.They say the old key will be able to open the doors and also start the engine, but once started, the engine gets locked and can then be unlocked only at the service center.

Any info regarding this?
Old 8th March 2015, 11:47   #1877
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahmed26 View Post
Hi
The dealer lost my key.

They have offered to change the code of my lock and have done it to my spare key.Another new key is on the way.They say the old key will be able to open the doors and also start the engine, but once started, the engine gets locked and can then be unlocked only at the service center.

Any info regarding this?
There is an option to erase all keys from you car's module before adapting a new set of keys to your car. You can adapt 2 or 3 or more no. of keys to the car. The old keys will be useless after that, as in the remote function won't work. But the key could be used manually for opening doors and turning on ignition. I din't face the problem of engine getting locked. May be because I had VCDS to hook up and adapt the keys, I might not have noticed it.

Last edited by ajaypjayaraj : 8th March 2015 at 11:53.
Old 8th March 2015, 21:03   #1878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They have offered to change the code of my lock and have done it to my spare key.Another new key is on the way
How imbecile can these service centers be. Get it in writing whatever they claim to say and do. If the car is broken in later and stolen, you know who to point fingers at.

What they say is right that you cannot use that old key once its recoded and the immobilizer is suppose to lock the engine.

Having said that the thieves are better experts and they may not require your old or new key if they decide to steal it

Since its a mistake from the dealer, why not press for changing the locks including the ignition. Its their mistake and you deserve to live in peace.
Old 8th March 2015, 23:26   #1879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
How imbecile can these service centers be. Get it in writing whatever they claim to say and do. If the car is broken in later and stolen, you know who to point fingers at.

What they say is right that you cannot use that old key once its recoded and the immobilizer is suppose to lock the engine.

Having said that the thieves are better experts and they may not require your old or new key if they decide to steal it

Since its a mistake from the dealer, why not press for changing the locks including the ignition. Its their mistake and you deserve to live in peace.
I fully agree. They should be changing the locks & associated systems. Escalate your claim to vw customer care.
Old 9th March 2015, 21:18   #1880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post

Hi
Wouldn't that mean opening the dash?
Old 9th March 2015, 21:37   #1881
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi
Wouldn't that mean opening the dash?
Just the steering column i suppose. Even if it requires to open the dash, its just sticking to its place by some design magic using simple screws and clamps.

The best thing i found about these cars is the ease of installation and removal of every part of the car. I learnt it by installing a reverse camera and the RCD510 for a blue tooth module. Its so EASY and its so comfortable to do it as a DIY on your free time.

What you need is patience.
Old 20th March 2015, 08:10   #1882
BHPian

Hello fellow-BHP'ians:

My first year is coming up end of this month and I got the "first service" done last morning at KPR cars Mysore. Man - I NOW understand how much the peace of mind that Maruti earlier provided meant!!!

Nothing wrong with the KPR folks though - they did great - its just that there is so much going on in our heads at this time and you kinda have your fingers crossed. There were no specific issues with the car - like I had mentioned sometime earlier, I suspected that the alignment was off a bit - but the car had not run much since then. Some points of note - just want to make sure these are normal:

1. Total bill of just under 12k (Filter element with GASK, air filter, pollen filter, oil, windshield cleaner, some PLUG - 144 bucks and of course wheel aignment/balancing).

2. The car was running great even before we went for service since it was practically new - just about 8.5k - this damn Bangalore traffic - end up using the smaller car for most city drives due to pain of finding proper parking etc. On My Maruti - right after service, there used to be a marked difference in the way the car drove, handled, gear-shift, power etc. No such thing here - was a bit let down. Is this usual?

3. Now for the big one - I was told that there was a (very small) dent in my front-left wheel that showed up during alignment. I did a random google and there seems to be a lot of chatter around the alloys on the Jetta being a bit vulnerable to this. The guys there said they had moved the wheel to the rear-left and that it should not cause any issues. Is this correct? The dent is kinda minor - but noticeable. One more question: I am the only driver for my car and every KM was on my watch. Would I as a driver not even notice this when it happens? Shouldn't there have been a thud of some sort or something? Granted music usually plays in the car - but still? I only suspect a 40-50km streach on the way to Hampi from Bangalore - the road was pretty bad and we kinda jumped over some of those. Is this something to be worried about? 140-160kmph drives feel about OK, but not as smooth and confidence inspiring as before. I guess VW would have a way to link the alloys to the car and that its not possible for a dealer to accidentally swap these (with another car etc) at service time? Too many questions here - thanks for your patience guys!

4. Another bomb: 1 year has not completed on my car and I was quoted about 60k for a 2-year extended warranty. I was earlier told that it is less than 50k for a vehicle less than 365 days old? Is this correct?

5. What should be the second year insurance cost with zero-dep? I assume zero-dep is a no-brainer? I have not made a claim last year. ICICI quotes about 18k without zero-dep and around 28k or so with zero dep. Bajaj comes close to 40k? Any savings techniques here?

Thanks guys.
Old 20th March 2015, 09:23   #1883
BHPian

I checked with vw and if you take the warranty before one year is up its around 40-43k for a 2 yr extension. Take the vw app on your phone and show it to them. Its given in that.

This is a big grouse for me, as the Octavia has the same warranty extension at half the price.

Last edited by mav2000 : 20th March 2015 at 09:27.
mav2000 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2015, 09:28   #1884
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddis_dude View Post
4. Another bomb: 1 year has not completed on my car and I was quoted about 60k for a 2-year extended warranty. I was earlier told that it is less than 50k for a vehicle less than 365 days old? Is this correct?
Refer the pricing put up by VW on their website:

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-vwew.png
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th March 2015, 11:17   #1885
BHPian

Quote:
3. Now for the big one - I was told that there was a (very small) dent in my front-left wheel that showed up during alignment. I did a random google and there seems to be a lot of chatter around the alloys on the Jetta being a bit vulnerable to this. The guys there said they had moved the wheel to the rear-left and that it should not cause any issues. Is this correct? The dent is kinda minor - but noticeable. One more question: I am the only driver for my car and every KM was on my watch. Would I as a driver not even notice this when it happens? Shouldn't there have been a thud of some sort or something? Granted music usually plays in the car - but still? I only suspect a 40-50km streach on the way to Hampi from Bangalore - the road was pretty bad and we kinda jumped over some of those. Is this something to be worried about? 140-160kmph drives feel about OK, but not as smooth and confidence inspiring as before. I guess VW would have a way to link the alloys to the car and that its not possible for a dealer to accidentally swap these (with another car etc) at service time? Too many questions here - thanks for your patience guys!

5. What should be the second year insurance cost with zero-dep? I assume zero-dep is a no-brainer? I have not made a claim last year. ICICI quotes about 18k without zero-dep and around 28k or so with zero dep. Bajaj comes close to 40k? Any savings techniques here?

Thanks guys.
What kind of a dent is this? Can you post an image? I don't think small stones should be denting the alloy. Is it possible that the wheel was hit some time when it was parked?

I think you should go in for the zero dep. L&T's quotes have recently been quite attractive, but I am not sure about Jetta and not sure about what their service standards are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Refer the pricing put up by VW on their website:

Attachment 1351355
I have a DSG highline and have not yet extended my warranty (~16 months old now). The prices quoted are really insane and that has kept me thinking. Logically I should do it, but the price is a put off. Has any of the users not gone in for the extended warranty, and what has been the experience?
Old 20th March 2015, 11:29   #1886
BHPian

I would like to hear from others as well. I may just go for it in the next few months, before I finish one year of ownership. Just wanted to hear if the warranty covers everything.
Old 20th March 2015, 15:09   #1887
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. Total bill of just under 12k (Filter element with GASK, air filter, pollen filter, oil, windshield cleaner, some PLUG - 144 bucks and of course wheel aignment/balancing).

2. The car was running great even before we went for service since it was practically new - just about 8.5k - this damn Bangalore traffic - end up using the smaller car for most city drives due to pain of finding proper parking etc. On My Maruti - right after service, there used to be a marked difference in the way the car drove, handled, gear-shift, power etc. No such thing here - was a bit let down. Is this usual?

Thanks guys.
My views as a Laura (cousin?) owner:

1) This is normal for these cars. Just the engine oil is around INR 4.5-5K. Our Laura cost around 15-16K for its first service IIRC.

2) Apart from the engine feeling marginally smoother after the oil change, I have not noticed any significant difference in the way the Laura drove after first service either.

3) I don't think there is anyway to link the alloy to the car, otherwise aftermarket upgrades would be a little more difficult
Would be great if you could post a pic of the dent. If it is worrying, please show the same to a reputed tyre dealer who can advise if the rim needs to be changed for safety.

Last edited by lamborghini : 20th March 2015 at 15:14.
Old 24th March 2015, 14:22   #1888
Team-BHP Support

Hi All,

My car insurance is coming up for renewal. I got the following quotes from the dealer for Bajaj Allianz Insurance.

Basic Insurance - INR 19,903
Drive Assure Economy - INR 35,732
Drive Assure Premium - INR 51,561

Drive Assure Economy has zero depreciation and engine and gear box protector, and Drive Assure Premium has the alloys covered and also has a vehicle replacement including registration charges in case of total loss.

I guess Drive Assure Economy is required at a minimum. I would like to know if Drive Assure Premium is worth the additional 16K.

Thanks in advance for all information and pointers.

Note to Moderators: I have posted the same query in my ownership thread here. Posting here as well for a better reach. Apologies for the duplicate posting.
Old 24th March 2015, 17:57   #1889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Hi All,

Basic Insurance - INR 19,903
Drive Assure Economy - INR 35,732
Drive Assure Premium - INR 51,561
Hi, are these quotes for the 2nd year renewal? I am getting similar quotes for the 3rd year renewal so was wondering. What IDV are you getting these quotes at?
Old 24th March 2015, 18:12   #1890
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewheelin_KD View Post
Hi, are these quotes for the 2nd year renewal? I am getting similar quotes for the 3rd year renewal so was wondering. What IDV are you getting these quotes at?
Hi,

Yes. These are quotes for 2nd year renewal for Jetta DSG Highline. The IDV is 15.44 Lakhs for 2nd year. The IDV for first year was 18.38 Lakhs.

Is yours a Highline DSG too? What is the IDV of your vehicle in the 3rd year?

Most Viewed