Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2011, 08:31   #241
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
I double checked if it was a CL or a HL...
Thanks for the pictures lamboguy! The car looks beautiful. I guess Comfortline is the best bet among the 3 variants (unless you want to have the DSG). Looking forward to your ownership review

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
The dealer mentioned beforehand that I would be getting these additional features although they were not in the brochure. He said there were certain "errors" in the spec sheet including the 139mm Ground Clearance.
That’s unexpected from a global player like VW. Wrong spec sheets, irregularities in the website etc. are becoming a norm with them. Not quite a match with the fantastic products they have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by druk75 View Post
17" would have been perfect. About the AC, your picture says it all. Even I have never used the AC in my Aveo at the maximum, even down south and during my 3 years in coastal Tamil Nadu, where its scorching hot, though I did have sunfilms on.
I will suggest keeping the car in stock form, as VW is known for being intolerant to modifications, and could very well void your warranty. Matters much more for an expensive car like the Jetta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by druk75
P.S. : I just got word from my SE, that my car will in all probability land tomorrow or the day after! ( I know, that's not much....its already the weekend, but still, some news is better than no news!) Hurrraaayyyyy!
Congratulations. Do share your experience with the car in an ownership thread. All the best!
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2011, 07:04   #242
BHPian

Quote:
No offence taken I double checked if it was a CL or a HL...
The dealer mentioned beforehand that I would be getting these additional features although they were not in the brochure. He said there were certain "errors" in the spec sheet including the 139mm Ground Clearance.

Chrome in the front:
Attachment 822792

RCD 300 plus with the SD Card slot
Attachment 822790

I forgot to take the pic of the cruise control stalk but you can still make out the Increase/ decrease speed buttons behind the wheel
Attachment 822791

Navarra Alloys
Attachment 822789

The AC is good enough. I have been suffering from severe cold since I bought the Jetta so have not 'chilled out' the car. (you can see in the pic at what cooling level it is operating)
The AC is good enough, but it seems to work differently from other cars. It works on cooling the cabin rather than blowing on your face. In the i10 or the Fusion, the blower can be on 1 or 2, and still make you feel chilly pretty fast because it blows on you. Here you will need to push it all the way to 3 or 4 initially and then bring it down to 2 or 1. I've never had to take it to 4 though (its been only 35-36 deg in Mumbai), but I can imagine having to do that in 40 deg plus temperatures.

Quote:
Lamboguy! Fantastic... Actually hard pressed for words. I mean, this is such an unexpected super sweetener to an already tasty mint tea. I was long debating between the old Jetta Cl available at almost 1.5 lakh discount and the new, and when i finally went ahead with the new Jetta, I was disappointed with VW for short changing new owners. But, as time goes, and as I see more and more ownership reports, photographs and these added tit bits, the only thing I miss now is the ACC, which I guess we can live without, as a small compromise towards a better engine, more safety etc.

But I also did expect the new Jetta with Xenons, sun/moon roof, Navigation/dvd, Start/stop button, Real keyless entry with sensor locks, bluetooth telephone connection et al.

Forgot to mention, these pictures sure look a bit different from the pure silver color. And the last photo showcasing the alloys is beautiful! (Though I am not a particularly huge fan of the NAVARA alloys.... the ATLANTA looks muuuch better... or should we go for custom alloys after-market?!) Just a trained eye might spot the slightly excessive wheel dam. 17" would have been perfect. About the AC, your picture says it all. Even I have never used the AC in my Aveo at the maximum, even down south and during my 3 years in coastal Tamil Nadu, where its scorching hot, though I did have sunfilms on.

P.S. : I just got word from my SE, that my car will in all probability land tomorrow or the day after! ( I know, that's not much....its already the weekend, but still, some news is better than no news!) Hurrraaayyyyy!
I would recommend having sunfilms on this car. It does indeed make a difference to the AC performance. Due to the angles of the front and rear windscreen design, there is a fair amount of sunlight that does filter through, and heat up the inside.
Old 10th October 2011, 07:17   #243
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurum View Post
The AC is good enough, but it seems to work differently from other cars. It works on cooling the cabin rather than blowing on your face. In the i10 or the Fusion, the blower can be on 1 or 2, and still make you feel chilly pretty fast because it blows on you. Here you will need to push it all the way to 3 or 4 initially and then bring it down to 2 or 1. I've never had to take it to 4 though (its been only 35-36 deg in Mumbai), but I can imagine having to do that in 40 deg plus temperatures.
I would say AC is fantastic. Yes I agree with Aurum, it doesn't blow on your face but chill the cabin in almost no time. 180 km in hot rocky Rajasthan terrain felt cool right through.
Old 10th October 2011, 14:46   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
When is your ownership thread coming up?
My Initial Ownership report is now live on:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...rtline-mt.html

Please do leave your feedback! Thanks!
lamboguy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2011, 15:40   #245
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the pictures lamboguy! The car looks beautiful. I guess Comfortline is the best bet among the 3 variants (unless you want to have the DSG). Looking forward to your ownership review

That’s unexpected from a global player like VW. Wrong spec sheets, irregularities in the website etc. are becoming a norm with them. Not quite a match with the fantastic products they have.

I will suggest keeping the car in stock form, as VW is known for being intolerant to modifications, and could very well void your warranty. Matters much more for an expensive car like the Jetta.

Congratulations. Do share your experience with the car in an ownership thread. All the best!
Yes, thank you VB. I do not intend to play with the warranty of such an expensive car anyway. But I do want to spice it up a bit the harmless way. And i agree with you absolutely, for, a company like VAG, who is such a prominent global player, cannot and should not let such mistakes. Its just like I said before, their attitude towards India and maybe Asia as a whole.

I sure shall post up my buying experience and ownership experience as well, but now the problem is, my baby is within reach, yet so far. Elders at home are adamant that I should take delivery only on the 20th!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurum View Post

I would recommend having sunfilms on this car. It does indeed make a difference to the AC performance. Due to the angles of the front and rear windscreen design, there is a fair amount of sunlight that does filter through, and heat up the inside.
, I sure will have to go in for it. The Kerala heat is unforgiving....and most of the time I have to park under the sun.

Quote:
My Initial Ownership report is now live on:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...rtline-mt.html

Please do leave your feedback! Thanks!
Congrats! Going through it right now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
I would say AC is fantastic. Yes I agree with Aurum, it doesn't blow on your face but chill the cabin in almost no time. 180 km in hot rocky Rajasthan terrain felt cool right through.
Thank you Rudra sen....Also, just reminding you, I had asked you for advice regarding the best rubber to go for, in replacement of the stock ones.
Old 10th October 2011, 15:44   #246
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thank you Rudra sen....Also, just reminding you, I had asked you for advice regarding the best rubber to go for, in replacement of the stock ones.
You'll have a plenty of choice in 205/55 R16. Just go by your driving style and decide. There are plenty of tyre related discussions on this board.
Old 12th October 2011, 00:50   #247
BHPian

Here are a few pictures of the silver leaf Jetta I captured today at the dealer's yard. I will be taking delivery of this beauty coming 20th...hopefully

I've tried to capture the different shade under different angles.... but as already mentioned, pictures are not doing justice to this color. There are a couple of silver colored cars in the back ground in pics 5, 6, and 7 for comparison.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20111011_145639.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20111011_145654.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20111011_145711.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20111011_145727.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20111011_145741.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20111011_145751.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20111011_145804.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20111011_145817.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20111011_145829.jpg  

Last edited by druk75 : 12th October 2011 at 00:56.
druk75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 11:54   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here are a few pictures of the silver leaf Jetta I captured today at the dealer's yard. I will be taking delivery of this beauty coming 20th...hopefully

I've tried to capture the different shade under different angles.... but as already mentioned, pictures are not doing justice to this color. There are a couple of silver colored cars in the back ground in pics 5, 6, and 7 for comparison.
Well the marginal shade of Golden inside the silver is visible in your brilliantly angled pictures. Great colour. Which version have you finalised and it's on-road price? Do post a ownership thread soon.

Last edited by dkaile : 12th October 2011 at 11:55.
Old 12th October 2011, 15:37   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Well the marginal shade of Golden inside the silver is visible in your brilliantly angled pictures. Great colour. Which version have you finalised and it's on-road price? Do post a ownership thread soon.
I've opted for the Comfortline. It comes to around 17 OTR. Will try my hand at an ownership thread soon. Ket me take delivery first.
Old 20th October 2011, 21:41   #250
BANNED

First of all, Rudra sir, Brilliant pictures! The review itself was very crisp and well written.
Well, after reading the whole review and a little more research and a couple test drives. I have decided that I am in love with the Jetta.
However, my budget it restricted to 16lakhs OTR. Obviously, the only variant available will be the Trendline. Though I am very sure that this is a great product, i am not fully convinced. Necessities like fog lamps, steering controls have been stripped off it. I am not sure what to do. Should I go for it or take a look at some other cars?
Old 21st October 2011, 07:47   #251
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I've opted for the Comfortline. It comes to around 17 OTR. Will try my hand at an ownership thread soon. Ket me take delivery first.
Hey Druk, did you manage to take the deliivery on the 20th? Looking forward to your ownership report
Old 21st October 2011, 15:47   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisson View Post
First of all, Rudra sir, Brilliant pictures! The review itself was very crisp and well written.
Well, after reading the whole review and a little more research and a couple test drives. I have decided that I am in love with the Jetta.
However, my budget it restricted to 16lakhs OTR. Obviously, the only variant available will be the Trendline. Though I am very sure that this is a great product, i am not fully convinced. Necessities like fog lamps, steering controls have been stripped off it. I am not sure what to do. Should I go for it or take a look at some other cars?
Hi Frisson. The Jetta is one helluva car. Go for a TD and you will see. Superb engineering. Even if my budget was limited I would definitely go for the Trendline at least. But thankfully I was able to stretch my budget a bit and go for the Comfortline. I too, had initially planned only on the Trendline, after seeing the old Jetta Trendline and I was expecting similar options in the new one. But since it turned out too bare bones, I stretched my budget.

But, yes I would suggest you to consider the Laura, and also the Cruze, both very good driver's cars. And well kitted under your budget. May also consider the Fluence which is now soon coming loaded for around 15 lakhs. If you are going to be in the back seat, the Altis is a good choice too. Wish you all the best to decide on your car soon. Do let us know which one you opt for ultimately.

Quote:
Hey Druk, did you manage to take the deliivery on the 20th? Looking forward to your ownership report
Huhh, the subsequent delay is now of no fault of the dealer. My car is ready for delivery, but my bank had some issues. Which were sorted out today morning, and they are ready with the cash. But since I will be leaving for Delhi tomorrow, ( For the F1 race ), I am thinking of taking delivery on my return. Otherwise the car is gonna sit idle in my garage till I get back.
druk75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2011, 12:04   #253
BHPian

Hi,

I am posting a message on this forum after a long time -- probably because I need some inputs on making up my mind. I own a Optra Magnum 2.0 LT and have been a very satisfied GM customer. No complaints whatsover with the car or the service network. Now its time to replace it and honestly, I would have jumped on the Cruze but the rear seat is the deal breaker.

Frankly, I am left with the New Jetta or the Laura -- diesel it has to be given by 90 kms a day commute to office and back. Now I am really scared of the Skoda after sales service -- purely going by what I have heard and not what I have experienced. I have test driven the new Jetta and I liked the ride quality and the interior spacing. I am more or less convinced to go ahead with it -- Highline (MT) although I did have second thoughts towards L&K also. What is going against the Laura is not having great looks (family perception) and also that Jetta would probably fetch a higher resale value given its a new launch.
Can someone throw some light even if this has been discussed. My critical requirements are:
1) Good to drive -- I go on a lot of weekend trips
2) Good rear seat comfort -- my driver is 6'2''
3) Decent service if not the best in class
4) Paramount is safety -- as many gadgets / airbags / driver assists to aid me
Old 25th October 2011, 13:30   #254
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari_driver View Post
Now I am really scared of the Skoda after sales service -- purely going by what I have heard and not what I have experienced. I have test driven the new Jetta and I liked the ride quality and the interior spacing. I am more or less convinced to go ahead with it -- Highline (MT) although I did have second thoughts towards L&K also.
1) Good to drive -- I go on a lot of weekend trips
2) Good rear seat comfort -- my driver is 6'2''
3) Decent service if not the best in class
4) Paramount is safety -- as many gadgets / airbags / driver assists to aid me
Just go for the Jetta with your eyes closed. the most important reason here being the Skoda After sales. They are improving I guess but every now and then a shock incident comes on the forum with the same old disinterest shown by Skoda towards resolving it.

On the other hand the Jetta is a fresher car, looks great, rear space is better then the laura, great engine and has a long list of safety features with 8 airbags in the highline variant if I am not mistaken.
Old 25th October 2011, 14:15   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Just go for the Jetta with your eyes closed. the most important reason here being the Skoda After sales.
thanks man. Well forget after sales, I went to the showroom -- Jai Auto in Gurgaon and guess what an awesome discount that guy was offering on the L&K. A whopping 17,000 on a 21 lac L&K.

VW is offering about 32 k corporate discount on Jetta

On the other hand I was quite happy with the attitude of the VW dealer in Gurgaon -- at least someone was taking ownership for handling a particular customer

Last edited by .anshuman : 29th October 2011 at 15:28. Reason: Quote tags fixed. Please proof check your post before hitting post button. Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks