Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2011, 22:17   #271
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurum View Post
Thats a good summary. Would only add that on the top end variant (MT or AT), if you need the leg-room, i.e. you are above 6' yourself or have a 6' driver, you are better off with the Jetta. The difference is significant.
I just went through the Autocar comparison of Jetta and Laura. As i have not yet driven the new Jetta, so i was clueless on how it directly compared to Laura in terms of on road behaviour. According to ACI, Jetta comes with a suspension setup even softer than softened Laura, which is a good thing for the kind of roads we have, add to it the superior space at rear bench, it automatically comes out as a more sensible choice for those seeking a chauffeur driven option. Laura on the other side is told to be better suited for self driven use, with it's chassis shared with Golf and a shorter wheelbase, it takes the corners with more enthusiasm. The engine and DSG is told to be more responsive in Laura. Carrying the old tradition, Skoda has a better Steering(though i find it overassisted at low speeds).

They have compared Jetta Highline with Laura Elegance and commented on lack of kit in Laura, which i feel is unfair, L&K is the higher variant in Laura and it comes with even superior kit than the Jetta Highline. Jetta Highline misses out on some of the essential kit like ACC and Genuine Leather upholstery(fake leather does not suit a car of this price) but scores on safety kit in lower variants. My pick remains same as highlighted in the earlier post.

There is no denying on the fact that Laura is an ageing car, it has been around since long but with aggressive styling it does manage to feel fresh. The Jetta with the conservative design language with clean proportionate lines may not be exciting for enthusiasts but i can assure you this design will age very well. Only thing i do not like is the resemblance to cheaper cars like Polo from a distance, most of us Indians need a flashy car when are spending money.

Last edited by .anshuman : 29th October 2011 at 22:19.
Old 29th October 2011, 22:59   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
Funny but my Comfortline seems to have the pop up style boot. The trick here is: On the remote, a single press on the boot button simply unlocks the boot. You then have to press the tiny button on the boot handle-thing. The boot opens all the way up on its own accord.
But if you keep the same boot unlock button on the remote pressed for a second, the boot pops up and opens up all the way without touching it (you could say, just like the old Jetta)

I guess its the same for the boot release button in the cabin though i have not used it yet.
Just checked the manual. You're right, lamboguy. When you keep the button pressed, its supposed to open the lid. In my case, only the latch releases. If you give it a slight nudge upwards, it opens all the way on its own. Neither the remote or the boot release button in the cabin opens the lid all the way on its own, without the nudge. Its a point I intend to get checked when I give it at the workshop for the bluetooth installation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I just went through the Autocar comparison of Jetta and Laura. As i have not yet driven the new Jetta, so i was clueless on how it directly compared to Laura in terms of on road behaviour. According to ACI, Jetta comes with a suspension setup even softer than softened Laura, which is a good thing for the kind of roads we have, add to it the superior space at rear bench, it automatically comes out as a more sensible choice for those seeking a chauffeur driven option. Laura on the other side is told to be better suited for self driven use, with it's chassis shared with Golf and a shorter wheelbase, it takes the corners with more enthusiasm. The engine and DSG is told to be more responsive in Laura. Carrying the old tradition, Skoda has a better Steering(though i find it overassisted at low speeds).

They have compared Jetta Highline with Laura Elegance and commented on lack of kit in Laura, which i feel is unfair, L&K is the higher variant in Laura and it comes with even superior kit than the Jetta Highline. Jetta Highline misses out on some of the essential kit like ACC and Genuine Leather upholstery(fake leather does not suit a car of this price) but scores on safety kit in lower variants. My pick remains same as highlighted in the earlier post.

There is no denying on the fact that Laura is an ageing car, it has been around since long but with aggressive styling it does manage to feel fresh. The Jetta with the conservative design language with clean proportionate lines may not be exciting for enthusiasts but i can assure you this design will age very well. Only thing i do not like is the resemblance to cheaper cars like Polo from a distance, most of us Indians need a flashy car when are spending money.
In terms of drive, I've driven all three (old, new Jettas and the Laura L&K), and I found the drives to be distinctly different. I found the old and new Jettas to be more planted and composed, in general. The details are in my ownership thread, which I wont repeat. I don't remember any differences in how the DSGs both work, though. Wont get into the looks discussion .
Old 29th October 2011, 23:45   #273
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurum View Post
In terms of drive, I've driven all three (old, new Jettas and the Laura L&K), and I found the drives to be distinctly different. I found the old and new Jettas to be more planted and composed, in general.
Stability and composure is not much of an issue with Euro cars of this size, it's the driving involvement or lack of it(though it is not an issue here with either of these cars). Now let's bring the Cruze into discussion, at speed it feels super composed, but even with stiff suspension it lacks the willingness to change direction or precisely the thing we call Agility. Previous generation Jetta was based on the Golf platform(just like the Laura) and was a sharper car to drive(except the dull and lifeless steering). The newer car is a built to cost car in comparison, sold to us at the same cost, it was expected to be cheaper, maybe they retained the premium pricing to retain the brand image over Skoda. Good news for enthusiasts is, the next gen Octavia(Laura here) will only be released after the next gen Golf comes out, because it will be based on it, so let's not expect it to be much roomier but it may be as good to drive.

Now let's get back to the topic.

Last edited by .anshuman : 29th October 2011 at 23:47.
Old 30th October 2011, 01:53   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Stability and composure is not much of an issue with Euro cars of this size, it's the driving involvement or lack of it(though it is not an issue here with either of these cars). Now let's bring the Cruze into discussion, at speed it feels super composed, but even with stiff suspension it lacks the willingness to change direction or precisely the thing we call Agility. Previous generation Jetta was based on the Golf platform(just like the Laura) and was a sharper car to drive(except the dull and lifeless steering). The newer car is a built to cost car in comparison, sold to us at the same cost, it was expected to be cheaper, maybe they retained the premium pricing to retain the brand image over Skoda. Good news for enthusiasts is, the next gen Octavia(Laura here) will only be released after the next gen Golf comes out, because it will be based on it, so let's not expect it to be much roomier but it may be as good to drive.

Now let's get back to the topic.
Since we are on that topic, let me try to describe the difference that I felt, as best as I can. I feel that the Laura is set up slightly higher than the Jetta, with a slightly more springy suspension, but maybe a more responsive steering (dont remember this specifically). So when you push it into a corner, there is a little bit more body roll, and that slightly faster reaction to where your nose is pointing. The Jetta, in the same corner, will take the corner just as sharply, but inside, you feel like its been lazing through it. So it transmits less of what its actually done on the outside, to the inside.

This can easily be considered less engaging. Its also why it will feel better in the back seat, when driven by a chauffeur. From a driver's perspective, I think its important to drive both cars, and see what really does it for you. I liked the laid-back attitude of the Jetta.

This car, at least at the higher end, is too expensive by 50k for sure, primarily because it lacks leather and some other important gizmos, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it built to cost. At the end of the day, it is a larger car, is more powerful, and retains the same good driving dynamics as the outgoing car. Some door plastics are not soft touch like the outgoing model, but they are still of high quality. Its unlikely that you would walk away from this car because of the interior quality.
Old 31st October 2011, 12:17   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Funny but my Comfortline seems to have the pop up style boot. The trick here is: On the remote, a single press on the boot button simply unlocks the boot. You then have to press the tiny button on the boot handle-thing. The boot opens all the way up on its own accord.
But if you keep the same boot unlock button on the remote pressed for a second, the boot pops up and opens up all the way without touching it (you could say, just like the old Jetta)

I guess its the same for the boot release button in the cabin though i have not used it yet.
I can confirm the boot release from cabin of my Comfortline does the pop-up act. Similarly, pressing the boot button also does the trick. Will have to check if the long press on the remote works as lamboguy has explained.
Old 31st October 2011, 12:41   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalaSNKL View Post
I can confirm the boot release from cabin of my Comfortline does the pop-up act. Similarly, pressing the boot button also does the trick. Will have to check if the long press on the remote works as lamboguy has explained.
Well, If it works on your Jetta, it is surprising how it didn't work when I visited the showroom. Even the sales rep was extremely sure that the Jetta had no such feature.
Old 1st November 2011, 00:48   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
Well, If it works on your Jetta, it is surprising how it didn't work when I visited the showroom. Even the sales rep was extremely sure that the Jetta had no such feature.
The boot does pop open either when you flick the boot release switch from inside or when you hold the boot release button on the key fob for more than 3 seconds. The hinges of the boot of the Jetta in the showroom that you visited may need some lubrication and it will perform the same way as described by the members here.

I have noticed with experiences shared out here and of my own that the VW sales guys somehow donot emphasise on the smaller yet significant features like the cornering light, lane changing flash, emergency exit, memory card slot, cooled glove box, airbag off option, etc which may seem like small things but do make a difference.

@BalaSNKL => How are you doing?? I believe you have taken delivery of a black Jetta Comfotline. why not have an ownership review and your take on the car.

Last edited by S2!!! : 1st November 2011 at 00:52.
Old 1st November 2011, 10:20   #278
BHPian

Just found this during Casual reading:

According to a post by TDI Club, Volkswagen has issued a stop-sale on all 2009-2012 Jetta, Jetta Sportwagen and Golf TDI vehicles equipped with the company's 2.0-liter TDI turbo-diesel engine pending a voluntary safety recall. It's unclear whether or not the 2012 Passat will also be impacted. In a written communication attributed to Volkswagen, the problem stems from the fact that the fuel injector pulse rate happens to occur at the same natural frequency as injector line number two. Over time, the line could fail. That's especially true on certain lines manufactured with tube material that contains scratch marks from a grinding process. Volkswagen says that the inferior piece can't stand up to the stress of the injector pulse rate.

Source : Stop-sale issued for Volkswagen Jetta and Golf TDI diesel models, recall imminent?

Does it mean that the Jetta's and Skoda's sharing the same engines have a potential issue?

Mods : Please move this post if this issue has already been discussed.
Old 2nd November 2011, 09:45   #279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
The boot does pop open either when you flick the boot release switch from inside or when you hold the boot release button on the key fob for more than 3 seconds. The hinges of the boot of the Jetta in the showroom that you visited may need some lubrication and it will perform the same way as described by the members here.

I have noticed with experiences shared out here and of my own that the VW sales guys somehow donot emphasise on the smaller yet significant features like the cornering light, lane changing flash, emergency exit, memory card slot, cooled glove box, airbag off option, etc which may seem like small things but do make a difference.

@BalaSNKL => How are you doing?? I believe you have taken delivery of a black Jetta Comfotline. why not have an ownership review and your take on the car.
S2!!! - Yes, I took delivery of the Black Comfortline. Have done 1500 km on the odo and extremely pleased and happy with the purchase. Planning to do a ownership review, just didn't get around to doing that. You are right that there are a number of small yet valuable features which neither the brochures mention nor the SEs are fully familiar with. Also, the owner's manual hasn't arrived yet. I am discovering new things all the time!

Only today, I figured the open windows close when the remote lock button is pressed continuously (not by double click). You need to keep it pressed till the windows close fully. You take the finger off and the windows stop wherever they were which is a bit of an irritant.

Regarding the boot release, both long press on the remote as well as the button inside cabin releases the boot and it opens all the way to the top. There is no hydraulic here, but only spring that makes this happen.
Old 2nd November 2011, 17:53   #280
BHPian

Quote:
You are right that there are a number of small yet valuable features which neither the brochures mention nor the SEs are fully familiar with. Also, the owner's manual hasn't arrived yet. I am discovering new things all the time!

Only today, I figured the open windows close when the remote lock button is pressed continuously (not by double click). You need to keep it pressed till the windows close fully. You take the finger off and the windows stop wherever they were which is a bit of an irritant.
Congratulations BalaSNKL!!
Yet another Jetta added on the TBHP list.

You should check this thread out : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...es-quirks.html

It has all the "hidden" features that VW provides us. Though the thread is Vento specific, I have seen that whatever Vento has, Jetta has it too.

And do post a picture of your Black Beauty. I have seen the Jetta in all colours but black!
lamboguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2011, 11:52   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations BalaSNKL!!
Yet another Jetta added on the TBHP list.

You should check this thread out : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...es-quirks.html

It has all the "hidden" features that VW provides us. Though the thread is Vento specific, I have seen that whatever Vento has, Jetta has it too.

And do post a picture of your Black Beauty. I have seen the Jetta in all colours but black!
Thanks lamboguy. Useful link. Picked up a few tricks that I haven't figured out myself, at least as yet.

Here are few photos including one with the confetti pop at the time of delivery. Initial Ownership Report is WIP.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_3001c.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_3003c.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_3004c.jpg  

BalaSNKL is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th November 2011, 12:21   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks lamboguy. Useful link. Picked up a few tricks that I haven't figured out myself, at least as yet.

Here are few photos including one with the confetti pop at the time of delivery. Initial Ownership Report is WIP.
Balu, nice shots and congratulations once more! It would be awesome to have some interior shots when you publish your initial ownership report.
Are you doing any washing scrubbing for the black beauty yourself or it is all down to the friendly apartment car washer? You probably would have done a couple of full tank runs - what is Mumbai city cycle mileage looking like, before the first service anyway?
Old 4th November 2011, 14:11   #283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skjlives View Post
Balu, nice shots and congratulations once more! It would be awesome to have some interior shots when you publish your initial ownership report.
Are you doing any washing scrubbing for the black beauty yourself or it is all down to the friendly apartment car washer? You probably would have done a couple of full tank runs - what is Mumbai city cycle mileage looking like, before the first service anyway?
Have been driving it myself all this time - Driver gets my other car - but haven't got down to scrubbing it myself. Guess that would be too much effort considering I work out / run quite regularly these days!

Have had a couple of full tank runs and have got 15 kmpl, but that includes couple of long trips. Trip sheet (route, distance, journey time, mileage as per MFD) are:
(a) Mumbai-Pune-Mumbai - 336 kms, 7 hrs, 18 kmpl
(b) Mumbai-Shirdi - 253 kms, 4:14 hrs, 20.2 kmpl
(c) Shirdi-Shani Shingnapur-Mumbai - 390 kms, 7:50 hrs, 19.4 kmpl
Few points to note. The Pune trip was with a tyre pressure at 30 psi and the Shirdi trip at 33 psi. Secondly, the Shirdi trip included the rainy 90-minute drive through Kasara Ghats. Finally, I would want to cross-check the MFD data with actual which will have to be over few fills.
BalaSNKL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2011, 17:10   #284
BHPian

I was wondering what are the differences between the MFD (on the trendline) and the MFD Plus (on the comfortline and the highline). Does anyone has any information on the same?

@BalaSNKL - Congratulations on getting the delivery of your brand new Jetta comfortline. Black looks absolutely stunning on the car. Wish you many happy miles with the car
DeKay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2011, 16:51   #285
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
While I am disappointed with the initial showroom appeal, I have been told to drive it before making conclusions.

I had seen one on dispaly at Elite Motors and it was badly presented - filthy, dirty and was not impressed.

Today, I walked into VW Palace Cross and I drove an immaculately prepared one. It is a bit spartan but what ever is in there works well. AC was effective. Ride a little hard as pressures were at 38psi but it drove really well and I liked it a lot. More engaging than the Passat. DSG seemed to dull it a bit.

Need to find out about the manual from others but I was impressed.

Full marks to VW Palace Cross -very professional saleman - Vishnu who was able to answer all my queries.

Oh - Passats are available off the shelf. Jatta has a three month backlog

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks