Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2012, 06:06   #346
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

News of VW petrol launch in April. Saw the report on TOI.
New Volkswagen Jetta Petrol to launch in April| Zigwheels.com
Old 26th March 2012, 17:45   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
Do you have some idea on how it compares to Cruze on the maintenance part? I am really confused on which one to buy. Jetta appears way too overpriced but I like the looks and the quality.
What works for you would largely depend on your priorities. While Jetta is more expensive than the Cruz but then IMO the quality is also a notch above the Cruz. The killer pricing of Cruz really makes it v attractive & was a front runner for me before I compared it to Laura & Jetta & to be honest could not go back to the Cruz after that.

If for most part the back seats are going to be vacant the Cruz can work for you. Going on long / weekend trips with family on a Cruz would be a challenge (both from a back seat comfort as well as leg space perspective) - which became a deal breaker for me.
vkaul1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2012, 16:12   #348
BHPian

I have my eyes on the Jetta Diesel Automatic DSG - however at roughly 21 lacs on the road, it is too much of a stretch for me.

Anybody has a clue if lower variants of the automatic are planned for anytime soon?

Regards,
Irwin
Old 29th March 2012, 14:43   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkaul1 View Post
What works for you would largely depend on your priorities. While Jetta is more expensive than the Cruz but then IMO the quality is also a notch above the Cruz. The killer pricing of Cruz really makes it v attractive & was a front runner for me before I compared it to Laura & Jetta & to be honest could not go back to the Cruz after that.

If for most part the back seats are going to be vacant the Cruz can work for you. Going on long / weekend trips with family on a Cruz would be a challenge (both from a back seat comfort as well as leg space perspective) - which became a deal breaker for me.
Thanks vkaul1. I did find the backseat of the cruze cramped for its sgement but its not a deal breaker for me. Agreed that the quality of the Jetta is better than the cruze. But today I received the updated price of the comfortline. Its 20.5L. In comparison the cruze LTZ costs 17.6L. So I am gravitating more towards the cruze.
shivasuma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2012, 16:47   #350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsanand View Post
I have my eyes on the Jetta Diesel Automatic DSG - however at roughly 21 lacs on the road, it is too much of a stretch for me.

Anybody has a clue if lower variants of the automatic are planned for anytime soon?

Regards,
Irwin
Irwin, I went through a fairly long and detailed screening process for cars in this segment (the Jetta, the Laura, the Cruz etc.) and I can tell you that to me, @ 21L OTR, the Jetta DSG isn't VFM at all. And I wanted it badly. I mean no ACC, very little kit, no sun-roof etc. for a 20 Lac car is, well, bordering on the ridiculous. Given it's a superb handler, but that alone doesn't merit that kinda price tag.

The Comfortline trim is a decent alternative but comes only in a MT. I've tracked this and followed up with the VW guys like a maniac and can confidently report that VW seem to have no immediate plans to launch the CL in a DSG guise. Which means it ain't happening on the Trendline either. If you're really really hung up on an automatic, give serious thought to the Laura Ambition DSG. It's got the same 2.0 TDI engine and you can get some aftermarket upholstery, HU and 16" rims. You'll have a kickass car and then some money left in your wallet.
Omtoatom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2012, 14:26   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom View Post
Irwin, I went through a fairly long and detailed screening process for cars in this segment (the Jetta, the Laura, the Cruz etc.) and I can tell you that to me, @ 21L OTR, the Jetta DSG isn't VFM at all. And I wanted it badly. I mean no ACC, very little kit, no sun-roof etc. for a 20 Lac car is, well, bordering on the ridiculous. Given it's a superb handler, but that alone doesn't merit that kinda price tag.
Hey thanks Omtoatom - so either we compromise with the Laura or wait for later... Seems my calls been made since wife's dead against the Laura (old, dated....). Will give a last ditch try by making her see the new color on the Laura (the rosello color) and see if she bites it....

Last edited by n_aditya : 10th April 2012 at 11:14. Reason: quote tag fixed
Old 31st March 2012, 00:08   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Hey thanks Omtoatom - so either we compromise with the Laura or wait for later... Seems my calls been made since wife's dead against the Laura (old, dated....). Will give a last ditch try by making her see the new color on the Laura (the rosello color) and see if she bites it....
Irwin, granted that the Laura is due for an overhaul next year, but it is still the car to beat in its segment. Again styling is entirely a matter of one's personal choice but then if the "high command" is against it, well, the HC is against it. You'd be well advised to not push too hard.

If it absolutely has to be the Jetta, then you might to hang on for a couple of weeks. In case you've missed it, the award-winning 1.4 TSI engine is going to make its debut in India on the Jetta. Wait for VW to price it and if it's right, it could be a serious contender especially if they mate it to a DSG.
Omtoatom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2012, 23:57   #353
Senior - BHPian

After having waited for almost 10 months for VW to add ACC on the Jetta Highline, i finally gave up my obsession for this feature and drove into a VW showroom to book the Highline DSG. My experience is as follows-

This was the 4th time i was visiting a VW showroom in Delhi and yet again they did not have a car available for test drive. They did not have a highline on display and on all 4 occasions i left my number with the sales reps but they refuse to call me back and offer a test drive. Its really a shame how VW showrooms dont try and push the sales of a Jetta or Passat, theyre just happy selling you a Polo or a Vento.

Anyways while i was there, i had a look at the finance offers and the on the road price. To my surprise, the highline DSG is 22 L on road . While i have been advised by one a many car guru to only buy a diesel car because of the economies, i really wonder what sense would it make for me to buy a Jetta which is pretty much in the class of a Corolla and Civic for around 7L more on road just for a DSG and Diesel engine ! No matter how good the car is, it cannot possibly be worth that much money. I could easily save up some money and get some real high end cars in the 20-30 price range. We bought our Accord for 21L on road ! And trust me there is a feel of luxury in that car, the Jetta feels no better than a Civic or Corolla on the insides.
nik_kapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 10:07   #354
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
To my surprise, the highline DSG is 22 L on road . While i have been advised by one a many car guru to only buy a diesel car because of the economies, i really wonder what sense would it make for me to buy a Jetta which is pretty much in the class of a Corolla and Civic for around 7L more on road just for a DSG and Diesel engine ! No matter how good the car is, it cannot possibly be worth that much money. I could easily save up some money and get some real high end cars in the 20-30 price range. We bought our Accord for 21L on road ! And trust me there is a feel of luxury in that car, the Jetta feels no better than a Civic or Corolla on the insides.
Grossly overpriced. I guess with the obsession to keep it a class above the Laura, they have completely messed up on the pricing. And then there is cost cutting like leatherette seats. For 22 lakhs, you can get a Petrol Superb MT, and some spare cash for covering the fuel cost. Or if DSG is the criteria, the Laura L&K makes much more sense.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 10:16   #355
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Its really a shame how VW showrooms dont try and push the sales of a Jetta or Passat, theyre just happy selling you a Polo or a Vento.
The day is not far when VW will lose its premium tag in the Indian market and then will realise that people are no longer interested in putting up with there lackluster attitude.

Quote:
Anyways while i was there, i had a look at the finance offers and the on the road price. To my surprise, the highline DSG is 22 L on road . While i have been advised by one a many car guru to only buy a diesel car because of the economies, i really wonder what sense would it make for me to buy a Jetta which is pretty much in the class of a Corolla and Civic for around 7L more on road just for a DSG and Diesel engine !
Member Dkaile just recently bought a Skoda Superb Petrol for a mind boggling 18.5L OTR. I would any day choose a deal like that over the Highline Jetta. Its truly atrocious pricing. Spend another 5L and go for a BMW 3-series with the BSI. Atleast you will get yourself a truly premium car which is a sure head-turner.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2012, 10:36   #356
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Anyways while i was there, i had a look at the finance offers and the on the road price. To my surprise, the highline DSG is 22 L on road . While i have been advised by one a many car guru to only buy a diesel car because of the economies, i really wonder what sense would it make for me to buy a Jetta which is pretty much in the class of a Corolla and Civic for around 7L more on road just for a DSG and Diesel engine ! No matter how good the car is, it cannot possibly be worth that much money. I could easily save up some money and get some real high end cars in the 20-30 price range. We bought our Accord for 21L on road ! And trust me there is a feel of luxury in that car, the Jetta feels no better than a Civic or Corolla on the insides.
I've said this before and I'm saying it again. The Jetta Highline DSG just does not make sense when you are getting a Laura L&K with many, many more features at the same price and possibly even cheaper. Unless someone really like the looks of the Jetta.
Old 10th April 2012, 12:18   #357
BHPian

Quote:
After having waited for almost 10 months for VW to add ACC on the Jetta Highline, i finally gave up my obsession for this feature and drove into a VW showroom to book the Highline DSG. My experience is as follows-

This was the 4th time i was visiting a VW showroom in Delhi and yet again they did not have a car available for test drive. They did not have a highline on display and on all 4 occasions i left my number with the sales reps but they refuse to call me back and offer a test drive. Its really a shame how VW showrooms dont try and push the sales of a Jetta or Passat, theyre just happy selling you a Polo or a Vento.

I just got a call from the sales consultant at VW downtown. He was supposed to turn up last saturday for a TD. His excuse was that he had some personal problem and was on leave. So decided to give him one chance. The cost of comfortline in Bangalore is 20.5L OTR. Thats daylight robbery. The highline AT probably costs close to 24L here. It will be interesting to see the Jetta sales in April. I have a feeling it will be half of what it sold in march.
Old 10th April 2012, 12:40   #358
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It will be interesting to see the Jetta sales in April. I have a feeling it will be half of what it sold in march.
Why is that so? The Jetta is surely being liked because its selling constantly at 300-400 units per month now since launch and has infact overtaken the cousin Laura a couple of times. The price hike again has been across the board and I don't see only the Jetta suffering because of that. Most buyers looking for a car in the 15L segment would not mind shelling another 30-40k since the increase would be applicable to all cars.
Old 10th April 2012, 12:45   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just got a call from the sales consultant at VW downtown. He was supposed to turn up last saturday for a TD. His excuse was that he had some personal problem and was on leave. So decided to give him one chance. The cost of comfortline in Bangalore is 20.5L OTR. Thats daylight robbery. The highline AT probably costs close to 24L here. It will be interesting to see the Jetta sales in April. I have a feeling it will be half of what it sold in march.
So glad to to hear people call it daylight robbery as thats what it really is. 20.5 for a Comfortline when you can buy a Superb at 18+ .
I would go further and say that at 22 L for a Highline, even if they offered ACC, Sunroof, xenons, bluetooth telephony, it would remain a poor deal.
Old 10th April 2012, 12:46   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Why is that so? The Jetta is surely being liked because its selling constantly at 300-400 units per month now since launch and has infact overtaken the cousin Laura a couple of times. The price hike again has been across the board and I don't see only the Jetta suffering because of that. Most buyers looking for a car in the 15L segment would not mind shelling another 30-40k since the increase would be applicable to all cars.
The price increase for the jetta is close to 1L min(in BLR) across all variants. It was overpriced to begin with and now it seems even more so. Maybe the sales would not be affected, but I was just talking from my perspective. Maybe the price increase might not deter people from buying it. I am still confused, I like the jetta, but it just doesnt make sense to shell out so much for the car. And the presales experience hasn't been that good, so just feeling a little jittery.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks