Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2012, 11:05   #451
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

I had booked a white CL and was promised delivery in may-end. Just got of the call with the sales guy and apparently the car can only be delivered by Aug-end. Now re-thinking the color or probably even the car. If the facelifted cruze is launched by then and whichever I can get earlier I will buy that.
Old 19th May 2012, 13:18   #452
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
I had booked a white CL and was promised delivery in may-end. Just got of the call with the sales guy and apparently the car can only be delivered by Aug-end. Now re-thinking the color or probably even the car. If the facelifted cruze is launched by then and whichever I can get earlier I will buy that.
That does sound a trifle ludicrous Shiva. If you were promised delivery toward the end of May, the dealership (and therefore VW) ought to have made good on that commitment. While buying my own car recently, I did discover that the waiting period on CLs was greater than that on (Highlines) HLs by a month and a half on an average. Perhaps VW over-estimated the demand of the HL trim and put more of those on the production line initially. Anyway even in best cases (or worst depending on how you look at it), the waiting times still did not exceed 2-3 months for the most "hot" colors.

If you ask me, this is where you make an objective call mate. If Jetta is THE car for you, I suggest you bide your time. Maybe pick a different color if that works - the toffee brown or silver leaf metallic look splendid too. If not, I strongly suggest you look at an alternative. Besides the Cruz, the Yeti presents a great option as an all-rounder if you're not hung up on a sedan. So also the new Civic is around the corner and you might want to dig up on that. Granted the Jetta is an excellent overall package but is still quite over-priced in its current avatar. So that should be a good starting point for a fairly dispassionate process of hunting for alternatives.

Last edited by Omtoatom : 19th May 2012 at 13:28.
Old 19th May 2012, 14:35   #453
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Well, I said it looked like a Vento, looked a bit boring. After a couple of test drives, I bought one!
hi Ajmat,
How is your Jetta doing? ownership review is due
Old 19th May 2012, 17:58   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom View Post
That does sound a trifle ludicrous Shiva. If you were promised delivery toward the end of May, the dealership (and therefore VW) ought to have made good on that commitment. While buying my own car recently, I did discover that the waiting period on CLs was greater than that on (Highlines) HLs by a month and a half on an average. Perhaps VW over-estimated the demand of the HL trim and put more of those on the production line initially. Anyway even in best cases (or worst depending on how you look at it), the waiting times still did not exceed 2-3 months for the most "hot" colors.

If you ask me, this is where you make an objective call mate. If Jetta is THE car for you, I suggest you bide your time. Maybe pick a different color if that works - the toffee brown or silver leaf metallic look splendid too. If not, I strongly suggest you look at an alternative. Besides the Cruz, the Yeti presents a great option as an all-rounder if you're not hung up on a sedan. So also the new Civic is around the corner and you might want to dig up on that. Granted the Jetta is an excellent overall package but is still quite over-priced in its current avatar. So that should be a good starting point for a fairly dispassionate process of hunting for alternatives.
This car is going to be driven by my wife mostly and she wants only white. I have my humble i20 crdi with me. My daughter's school starts from June and recently I sold(or should I say gave away) my fiesta to my wife's aunt and I am left with only one car now. So we need the car on an urgent basis to drop of my daughter. Also, my wife dislikes SUVs, and I am not a SUV guy myself. I would rather have a sedan (for the driving experience it offers over SUVs, though I know that the Yeti is close to a car when it comes to driving). Also looking at only diesels. The jetta is overpriced for sure, but amongst the variants I found the CL to be VFM (if you can say that). I will also have a look at the new cruze and if it has less lag and the clutch doesnt have that kick back, I will buy it. Apparently its going to be launched next month. For now I will hold on to my Jetta booking. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 19th May 2012, 18:10   #455
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
This car is going to be driven by my wife mostly and she wants only white. I have my humble i20 crdi with me. .
If the car is for your wife I would never look at a Jetta or a Cruze. The Jetta is a very long and wide car which is not as easy to judge. Ajmat has mentioned this to me a couple of times that upgrading from the Octy vRS, he found the Jetta longer and wider.

The Cruze has the worst visibility with a very tall shoulder line and can be very difficult to judge.

If you need a car that's easy for women to drive then reconsider your decision on Jetta and Cruze.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 19:32   #456
BHPian

From what I've heard the cruze is gonna have a tuned engine upto 164 ps and there is absolutely no other change other than the engine..

On the other hand I hope my jetta delivery doesn't get delayed
Old 19th May 2012, 20:08   #457
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
If the car is for your wife I would never look at a Jetta or a Cruze. The Jetta is a very long and wide car which is not as easy to judge. Ajmat has mentioned this to me a couple of times that upgrading from the Octy vRS, he found the Jetta longer and wider.

The Cruze has the worst visibility with a very tall shoulder line and can be very difficult to judge.

If you need a car that's easy for women to drive then reconsider your decision on Jetta and Cruze.
Hi Vid,
My wife is used to driving big cars. She is used to driving her mom's innova. So size is not a problem for her. I just wanted a C+ segment car that had good drivability and not so hard clutch. So jetta was chosen over the cruze after she test drove both of them. I would ideally want a diesel auto for her, but the highline DSG is way too high priced. Actually initially I recommended her to look at the nano 2012, but you know how women are. She would not take anything less than a c+ segment.
Old 20th May 2012, 22:21   #458
BHPian

Is it possible to put the HL head unit (6CD changer) in place of CL's Head unit.
Also since the CL is equipped with parking sensor , would they work as the optical parking system as in HL?
Old 21st May 2012, 00:35   #459
Senior - BHPian

Any news on the launch date of the 1.4TSI Jetta?
Also will they launch a DSG on the TSI ? The DSG on the Petrol Superb has been a real problematic car and i wonder if there is an issue with the pairing of the DSG Gearbox with the Petrol Motors of VW.
Old 21st May 2012, 08:59   #460
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
Is it possible to put the HL head unit (6CD changer) in place of CL's Head unit.
Also since the CL is equipped with parking sensor , would they work as the optical parking system as in HL?
It is possible to put the HL head unit in. I cannot comment on the parking centre aspect though
Old 21st May 2012, 09:23   #461
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik_kapur View Post
Any news on the launch date of the 1.4TSI Jetta?
Also will they launch a DSG on the TSI ? The DSG on the Petrol Superb has been a real problematic car and i wonder if there is an issue with the pairing of the DSG Gearbox with the Petrol Motors of VW.
As far as I know they have had problems with their 7-speed DSGs. The diesels come with 6-speed (havent heard problems with them). If at all the 1.4Tsi version comes, I think it will be a manual. When I asked the sales guy about the petrol Jetta, he said he had no information about it.
Old 21st May 2012, 10:44   #462
Team-BHP Support

VW have launched the Polo cup car with the 1.4TSI but tuned to the max rating of 179Ps or 177bhp. Wondering if this is what they are planning for the Jetta as well.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...trol-cars.html

Anyone still think 177bhp is underpowered from a puny 1.4L engine?
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2012, 10:57   #463
BHPian

Quote:
VW have launched the Polo cup car with the 1.4TSI but tuned to the max rating of 179Ps or 177bhp. Wondering if this is what they are planning for the Jetta as well.

For a minute I though it was on Sale. If at all they sell it. From the link jalsa provided, it is turbo and super charged.
Old 21st May 2012, 11:11   #464
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

It will be the 120PS turbo-engined version. The 177P version is expensive and not exactly trouble free. VW do not have enought Jetta kits (or they are limiting availability to maintain price) also considering market sentiment about petrol, I am betting this is on the back burner for now
Old 21st May 2012, 12:59   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
It will be the 120PS turbo-engined version. The 177P version is expensive and not exactly trouble free. VW do not have enought Jetta kits (or they are limiting availability to maintain price) also considering market sentiment about petrol, I am betting this is on the back burner for now

It could well be on the back burner but i feel if the Petrol Jetta priced some 3-4L below the Diesel variant owing to the 1.4 Engine could make so much more sense than the Diesel.

Most of us would buy a diesel for the fuel cost savings but the average joe cannot recover 3-4L over a period of 5 years ownership.

In case VW is planning to bring the Jetta Petrol at Rs. 21L for the Highline. They needn't bother bringing it in.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks