Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th September 2014, 14:42   #1636
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
That was indeed a scary experience, and it's one I too have experienced. And yes, the doors can be opened from the inside even if the central locking is active. Maybe there are some tweaks that can be done via VCDS, but before that give this a go.

Go to the 'Convenience' menu under Settings on your MFD and go to 'Central Locking'. Check if playing with the settings under 'Door Unlocking' here does the trick. It should work, but I really can't be sure or check since I'm not near the car myself.

I'd say the Jetta is good value-for-money at that price, but consider a few things.

1) Wouldn't a petrol runabout like the Polo make more sense since this spare won't see much running?
2) Do you need the extra space the Jetta affords?

There's no question of the Jetta being the best of those 3 cars, but it's a question of horses for courses. If I had to have a spare car in my garage for odd trips, I wouldn't keep the Jetta as the car of choice in this situation. I'd go for a brand new Polo TSI instead unless I wanted something that feels plusher or wanted more space and a boot. In that scenario a Jetta makes a lot more sense.

Think of what's needed/wanted and an answer will emerge
I've gotten used to the Jetta size in the sense that it does not feel large or unwieldy and fits in anywhere. Question is more for whether to keep a 3 year old car from a particular segment or go for a new car one segment down, and whether the 1120 is a good price for the jetta AT?
Old 15th September 2014, 16:13   #1637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautam99 View Post
I've gotten used to the Jetta size in the sense that it does not feel large or unwieldy and fits in anywhere. Question is more for whether to keep a 3 year old car from a particular segment or go for a new car one segment down, and whether the 1120 is a good price for the jetta AT?
There is one other aspect to be considered here - the leasing cost. If you intended to keep this car, then if it had been financed, you'd have paid it off in three years or paid about half of a longer-term loan. The true cost of the Jetta is amount paid to lease + 11.2 lakhs. I'd think that makes it a very expensive car. I also think leasing really only works if you exit the lease when the time is up.

To my mind it makes most sense to utilize the money you are wiling to spend on the outright purchase of a new car, albeit a segment lower. More space = Vento. Space not an issue = Polo.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 16:33   #1638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautam99 View Post
Question is more for whether to keep a 3 year old car from a particular segment or go for a new car one segment down, and whether the 1120 is a good price for the jetta AT?
If that's the only question, go for the Jetta. If you can get a car from a higher segment within your budget, why not? At 11.20, the Jetta is a great buy
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 12:20   #1639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carizma View Post
Here are some pictures.

Attachment 882257

Attachment 882258

Attachment 882259

Attachment 882260

Attachment 882261

The first thing that I noticed was a missing cruise control that BalaSNKL has mentioned!! After much discussion and deliberation, I was made to believe that the cruise control had invariably slipped into some of the CL kits or was it that it had just missed my car's kit??
carizma, Those car mats look awesome. Please let me know where you got them? And how is the mat doing after usage?

Planning to get them.
Old 16th September 2014, 13:44   #1640
BHPian

Do you mean to say that the Jetta is still not coming with OEM mats? The mats in my car are from Elegant, Noida. You can find them here, if you are interested. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/151291.jpg
http://www.elegantauto.in/carpet-foot-mats.html

They should cost you around 1500-1800. IMO the original matting is the best as it locks snugly to the floor. The aftermarket mats do not come with the provision to lock the mats but otherwise the quality is decent for the price.

Hope this helps.

Abhishek
carizma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2014, 16:36   #1641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carizma View Post
Do you mean to say that the Jetta is still not coming with OEM mats? The mats in my car are from Elegant, Noida. You can find them here, if you are interested. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/151291.jpg
http://www.elegantauto.in/carpet-foot-mats.html

They should cost you around 1500-1800. IMO the original matting is the best as it locks snugly to the floor. The aftermarket mats do not come with the provision to lock the mats but otherwise the quality is decent for the price.

Hope this helps.

Abhishek
I thought Jetta doesn't come with OEM mats (apart from the carpet I mean).

Was planning to go for 3D Kagu or star 3D mats but wanted to explore other brands a well.
Old 16th September 2014, 16:42   #1642
BHPian

Quote:
Yup, here's the link to the page. I went for the Sigma Ultimate in Beige as it gelled with the interiors and I liked the carpeted look and feel of it.

What you need then is a Jopasu Car Duster. 2-3 minutes using this and your car will be totally dust-free. Costs less than a car cover and has stellar reviews on here too. I can vouch for it, I use it almost every day.
iliketurtles, How is the Sigma Ultimate mats doing?
Old 16th September 2014, 17:11   #1643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilashgp View Post
iliketurtles, How is the Sigma Ultimate mats doing?
Very well, to be honest. They're dirty as hell at the moment due to the rains, but a proper cleaning will sort that out. I'm very happy with it, for Rs. 2200 or so it was full paisa vasool. I'd recommend it for sure.
Old 16th September 2014, 18:09   #1644
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Very well, to be honest. They're dirty as hell at the moment due to the rains, but a proper cleaning will sort that out. I'm very happy with it, for Rs. 2200 or so it was full paisa vasool. I'd recommend it for sure.
Hey iliketurtles, Just read in your thread these mats have a carpet like finish. How do you clean them? Wash it with soap and water or just vacuum clean and beat it to get the trapped dust out?
Old 16th September 2014, 18:37   #1645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Hey iliketurtles, Just read in your thread these mats have a carpet like finish. How do you clean them? Wash it with soap and water or just vacuum clean and beat it to get the trapped dust out?

The ones I picked up have a carpet like finish, but I also had the option of going for the Kagu-like hard finish. I preferred the look and feel of the carpet, so I went with it instead. Cost-wise there was no difference, as far as I remember.

I generally whack it a few times to release the dust, but I could vaccum it just as well. As far as tougher stains go, it's taken the abuse of the last 6 months pretty well. Still, there are some stains that have cropped up and I'm going to have to wash it with some mild soap and water to clean it up.
Old 18th September 2014, 11:50   #1646
BHPian

Sorry for the late reply, have been busy and wasnt able to spend much time on the forum. Starscream, I will disagree with your post. The phenomenon you mention might happen, but it is not the sole reason for the lag experienced. You can test out my statement by taking the car to an almost standstill and then trying to accelerate. Since the car is not stationary, the clutch would not have disengaged, and hence there will be no confusion if the lag is due to the clutch or the lack of torque. I have driven the Laura 140bhp dsg, the Superb 160bhp dsg and the Passat 170bhp dsg, and if you do the same, you can tell that there is much lesser lag in the superb vs the laura, and also the passat vs the laura. This would not be the case if the lag was simply due to the clutch disengaging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Trying to understand this- isn't this the turbo lag rather than gearbox lag?

Meaning- if I were to move from a Corolla or Vento petrol AT (NA engine, conventional slushbox) to a Jetta DSG, I would feel the lag for sure. But if I were moving from say a Laura manual (turbo MT) to a Jetta DSG would I still feel it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
The lag is because the clutch in a DSG disengages at a complete stop and takes a few seconds to re-engage when starting off again. We just had this discussion on the Polo GT TSI thread. A torque converter AT is more instantaneous.
Old 18th September 2014, 12:49   #1647
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apurva512 View Post
The phenomenon you mention might happen, but it is not the sole reason for the lag experienced. You can test out my statement by taking the car to an almost standstill and then trying to accelerate. Since the car is not stationary, the clutch would not have disengaged, and hence there will be no confusion if the lag is due to the clutch or the lack of torque.
apurva512, you're talking about another scenario where the clutch will be slipping and engine torque is a factor. The original post and my reply was in the context of starting from a complete stop. Do you disagree that the clutch disengages at a complete stop?
Old 18th September 2014, 13:01   #1648
BHPian

Not at all. I understood the original poster complaining of greater lag than he was used to on a regular auto box, which is explained by the fact that the dsg having no torque convertor is slower to drive at very low rpm's. The clutch disenegaing plays a part in the lag experienced, but is not the sole reason for it. Turbo lag is the bigger culprit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
apurva512, you're talking about another scenario where the clutch will be slipping and engine torque is a factor. The original post and my reply was in the context of starting from a complete stop. Do you disagree that the clutch disengages at a complete stop?
Old 21st September 2014, 13:14   #1649
R17
BHPian

Here's a question for folks who have a reasonable understanding of CKD/Localization as it applies to the Indian market:-

In the US, the 2015 VW Jetta was unveiled at the 2014 NY Auto show, displaying some upgrades in the interior and the exterior. One of the key upgrades, which wasnt highlighted much during the unveiling, was that VW had strengthened the Jetta's A-Pillar and door sills to improve its crash testing performance("structural upgrades"). VW harped on these structural upgrades after the Jetta's recent IIHS crash tests in which its performance was vastly improved compared to the previous model - http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...-pick-by-iihs/

Now the 2015 Jetta will soon be launched in India - by end of this year or early next year as per different sources. Recently, the 2015 Model was imported from the Puebla plant in Mexico (which makes Jettas for the US market, as well) to India for homologation - http://www.business-standard.com/art...2300497_1.html

Does this imply that our CKD version of the 2015 Jetta, whenever its launched, will receive these structural upgrades?

It seems to be a logical conclusion but several manufacturers water down the safety provisions during localization since there are no norms in India. For example, the Indian-made Ecosport which was exported to the European markets had to receive 300 changes including structural upgrades to adhere to the European crash test norms - http://indianautosblog.com/2014/04/f...-europe-127118
(Thats bad news for the Indian consumer, since he doesnt actually end up getting a real 5 star NCAP car - Ford India refused to respond to my several queries regarding safety performance of the Indian Ecosport on social media)

PS - Alternately, is there anyone on the forum from VW who could explain how things work?

Last edited by R17 : 21st September 2014 at 13:17.
R17 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2014, 10:45   #1650
j76
BHPian

The upgrade for india seems to be likely soon, since they have apparently stopped taking any more requests for the highline variant for 4 months.
This was the information given to me buy the volkswagen dealership on inquiry.
However they do not have any information of a refresh in the near future.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks