Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2011, 20:54   #181
BHPian

Re: Nissan Sunny : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Nice to know I was not the only one bowled over by its look in the flesh
Count me in as well. I was bowled over by the looks of Sunny as well! It looks like a proper sedan, and a decently sized one as well. It is not a sedan wannabe - like the Dzire for example - it IS a proper sedan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
True but, that's just an enthusiast's perspective. but, there are a majority of people out there who dont even think these parameters can be a deal breaker.
+1. Most people don't buy sedans for drag races.

I found it to have enough power to pull cleanly. AC was very good and interiors were top quality. My friend, who took me for the TD, was mighty impressed. The only decision he now needs to take is book it on Dussera or wait for the Diesel. Either ways, it will be a Nissan Sunny for sure.
SunilM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2011, 22:43   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunilM

Count me in as well. I was bowled over by the looks of Sunny as well! It looks like a proper sedan, and a decently sized one as well. It is not a sedan wannabe - like the Dzire for example - it IS a proper sedan.

+1. Most people don't buy sedans for drag races.

I found it to have enough power to pull cleanly. AC was very good and interiors were top quality. My friend, who took me for the TD, was mighty impressed. The only decision he now needs to take is book it on Dussera or wait for the Diesel. Either ways, it will be a Nissan Sunny for sure.
+1 to that. The engine and gearbox of the sunny might not impress the enthusiast, but the car will fare well with the public. The engine might not be as refined as a Honda or Toyota, but it still is Japanese reliability.

Nissan P has a good pricing strategy in place for the features it offers (some cool ones like the rear A/C blower which is very useful in Indian weather conditions). The lower variant targets Etios/Manza/Dzire customers by providing ABS/EBD/Airbag standard. Already Etios numbers are flat inspite of having diesel. The higher variant definitely targets the City.

I believe Etios D will end up taking the taxi segment from Verito. Sunny makes a good private car for the chauffer driven. Lots of star hotels (especially in Bangalore) use the City as cabs for their customers. These are potential Sunny D customers (in addition to the public).
Old 5th October 2011, 11:29   #183
Senior - BHPian

Any idea about the nissan sunny diesel launch date? I was told it would be within the next 2-3 months. Hope they get the diesel's pricing right as it would eventually constitute 60-70% of the sales.
Old 5th October 2011, 11:42   #184
Senior - BHPian

Sunny looks pretty good. Looks pretty VFM. The ads coming on TV also looks different. So far how many members here has booked this caaaaaaar ?
Old 5th October 2011, 14:45   #185
Senior - BHPian

The car in the ads look pretty good, may be a better opinion will be formed after seeing it in flesh. But pricing wise it is bound to generate interest, the only thing Nissan needs now is to increase the dealer presence.
Old 5th October 2011, 14:57   #186
Senior - BHPian

Had a look at the Sunny at the Nissan showroom today in its top end XV avatar and very frankly I am NOT impressed. The build quality looked flimsy, especially the boot lid was creaking and not solid. The back row had acres of space and frankly that's it's only USP.

It's on-road price was 8.75L and frankly around that price better products are available which have proven reliability and better engines. Disappointed by a Jap after a long time (or maybe my expectations were higher).
Old 6th October 2011, 00:44   #187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile
Had a look at the Sunny at the Nissan showroom today in its top end XV avatar and very frankly I am NOT impressed. The build quality looked flimsy, especially the boot lid was creaking and not solid. The back row had acres of space and frankly that's it's only USP.

It's on-road price was 8.75L and frankly around that price better products are available which have proven reliability and better engines. Disappointed by a Jap after a long time (or maybe my expectations were higher).
Hi dkaile,
That was a surprising revelation.
I always thought that Nissan was a better player in terms of quality and workmanship, even better than Toyota, as I have known during my resident years in Australia.
When I had test driven the XTrail (at the time of choosing our SUV), I was impressed with the build quality and top mechanics in that car.
Wonder how and why would they be compromising their virtues in the sunny..

Last edited by Monaro CV8 : 6th October 2011 at 00:46.
Old 6th October 2011, 08:47   #188
BHPian

Nice review. Whats got me a bit curious , besides the car, is this growing indulgence of the car makers in this segment bringing out cars that seems to be bulging out of proportions!! Yes, it may be alright since it increments cabin space thereby allowing more people to sit comfortably in the car.But, wouldnt that be at the expense of body roll at high speeds?--I would really appreciate the view of experts on that. It was quite surprising , since this "trend" of "bulging out proportions"--If one were allowed to call that-- started with Manza, atleast in this segment--Correct me if, i am wrong here!.

Anyways, yesterday night a family in the flat we live brought home thier new silver blade Nissan sunny, one hasnt been scrupulous enough to note the variant they bought. But, seen from the outside one can endorse the view made by mobike that the car seems a way lot bulky seen in photos , but is quite adequate seen in its real self.
Old 7th October 2011, 12:07   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Hi dkaile,
That was a surprising revelation.
I always thought that Nissan was a better player in terms of quality and workmanship, even better than Toyota, as I have known during my resident years in Australia.
When I had test driven the XTrail (at the time of choosing our SUV), I was impressed with the build quality and top mechanics in that car.
Wonder how and why would they be compromising their virtues in the sunny..
Surprising, as I have had the chance to ride the original Sunny back in the late 90's, the engine and build quality was unmatchable in the segment.
Old 7th October 2011, 23:30   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti

Surprising, as I have had the chance to ride the original Sunny back in the late 90's, the engine and build quality was unmatchable in the segment.
I think I need to check out the sunny myself to put in a comment next.
Old 9th October 2011, 03:35   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Yea same here. When I drove the last generation Nissan Sunny in Dubai (the main competitor for the Corolla in the UAE esp), the build quality, engine & NVH levels were impeccable. Really surprising stuff.
Old 9th October 2011, 21:30   #192
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The sunny seems great value but wish they had got in a diesel engine as well, as the -ve sales possibility from the initial days may pull down the long term sales of what is a great vehicle for the segment.

They have taken on the TATA / Manza mantel of rear leg space and give Jap quality in a may that is much better than how Suzuki goes about it at a price close to the dzire, manza and linea.

Now time for the new dzire. - longer this time?
Old 10th October 2011, 00:22   #193

Hi

I did do a test drive of the XV version last on Saturday. The engine felt quite refined. The pickup was also pretty decent. Did not feel any lack of response as mentioned in the review. ( Note there were only 3 people in the car, I own a santro, Zip drive so I now how a car feels when you only have the driver and when fully loaded. P.S - I am not a 0-100 in 5 secs guy :-) )

The only negative I felt was that there was a lot of noise coming into the cabin. While driving through a bad stretch, I could hear the suspension. Didn't feel the the vibrations inside though. But the sound made me a bit uncomfortable. The backseat A/c fan does not look that great. The device looks a bit awkward with poor plastic feel. More like a box in middle.

Since I have a 3 yr old who loves moving back and forth from front seat to rear, life of the box does not seem to be that long :-)

On road pricing at kochi (Cochin, Kerala) is as follows
XE - 639363
XL - 759783
XV - 847351

With my budget the XL seems to be a better fit but mising the electrcally foldable mirror in XL is a -ve. The car is too wide for the driver to close the mirror (Roads at Kochi is not that wide and some times you need to close the mirrors). The odo's too but that wont hamper any functionality but when you pay 7.5 lakhs you expect something.

The back head room also does not seem to be that bad ( I am 5 11 and found quite comfortable). For an average Indian the height seems Ok.

With the current pertol prices, I hope the diesel version arrives soon at a reasonable price.
sibijv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2011, 11:12   #194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibijv View Post
The back head room also does not seem to be that bad ( I am 5 11 and found quite comfortable). For an average Indian the height seems Ok.
How did you find the under thigh support? I am also 5 11 and interested in knowing about this. The pictures in the review show a 6'3" person on the rear seat, and the under-thigh support did not look good for that person.
Old 10th October 2011, 11:38   #195
BHPian

Yes the Nissan Sunny is a caaar as I found out yesterday. But it has a ground clearance of only 155 mm. That's low by Indian road standards. The car seating position is also low and for a Fusioner like me the difference in ground clearance of 40 mm is huge.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks