Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2011, 02:33   #196
BHPian

Re: Nissan Sunny : Test Drive & Review

Test drove the Sunny XV today, out of sheer curiosity and I must say, while I do still have some niggling doubts, I am quite inclined to book one ASAP.

I agree with Mobike008's very detailed review (thank you for it), the car blew me away with the space and the features offered with the XV, but that very clunky gearbox kind of threw me off. That has got me in two minds, really. Didn't drive too far to see how the car handles in traffic but whatever little I managed, I quite enjoyed. I can see this car quite easily becoming my daily drive.

Funnily enough am stuck with a rather unique problem. I liked the all-black interiors that come with the XE only and while the XE lacks a lot of the cockpit fun-thingumajigs that come with the XL and XV, it appears that I cannot get an all-black interior if I choose the top 2 models. Weird!

Chanced upon an XE in the basement, the car obviously retains the same shape as the other two, the black interior is a tad plasticky but I still liked it better than the 'greige' the other two offer. Extremely disappointed to see that the XE, close to 7 lakhs on road in Hyderabad, has 4 old school maruti wind-up glass handles - no power windows for the front and that left me somewhat aggrieved. Of course, the showroom says it will give me power windows for an additional 12K, but come on.. Really?

All said and done, I liked it more than I disliked it and as I mentioned earlier, I can quite see myself enjoying this car, driving to work and back and because of that HUGE boot and ample back seat, see myself driving to and fro holiday destinations.

On the other hand, a friend is disposing of a 2006 Dec Baleno VXI. In quite good condition. For a song. AARGH. But that's a story for another day.
Old 12th October 2011, 13:45   #197
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Yep manual glass winders in any vehicle costing more than 5L is wierd today.

The world has moved on and it would only be taxi's which would want glass winders - purely to save money. An individual paying 7L for such a car will definately not be ok with manual winders.
Old 12th October 2011, 14:39   #198
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_AmbyMad View Post
Test drove the Sunny XV today, out of sheer curiosity and I must say, while I do still have some niggling doubts, I am quite inclined to book one ASAP.

. Extremely disappointed to see that the XE, close to 7 lakhs on road in Hyderabad, has 4 old school maruti wind-up glass handles - no power windows for the front and that left me somewhat aggrieved. Of course, the showroom says it will give me power windows for an additional 12K, but come on.. Really?

On the other hand, a friend is disposing of a 2006 Dec Baleno VXI. In quite good condition. For a song. AARGH. But that's a story for another day.
Strange to hear of manual windows, cost cutting bordering on being cheap...

2 cents on the Baleno.. give it a pass
Old 13th October 2011, 14:00   #199
BHPian

Here's a review on the US Sunny aka Versa.

Review: 2012 Nissan Versa | The Truth About Cars

I like the fact that pretty much the same machine we have in India is in the US. Of course major diff being the 1.6L engine there and availability of auto transmission.

However, this review really reinforces my current thoughts that the lowest trim is the most value for money point A to point B people mover.

Cheers
Old 13th October 2011, 22:20   #200
BHPian

Took a test drive of the Sunny today. The car is really big in flesh (a tad longer than the City) and the interiors are of good quality. Not too much of a bling factor, but the legroom/headroom is awesome. The center mount for cold air suction and rear vents are cool and very useful in Indian conditions.

Noticed that the gear shift was not slick compared to it's other Jap brothers. When the car is in motion, some vibration is felt with the gear lever. This is pretty much the same -ve listed in the official review. Asked the SA, but she confessed that the car was new and reached the dealer some 2-3 days ago. This got me even more perplexed !! Unfortunately the only Sunny dealer in Bangalore had just 1 test car.

The car seems to take on potholes woth ease and the engine is heavily tuned for maximum FE. OTR in Bangalore

XE - 706,036
XL - 838,659
XV - 935,112

Being a late- comer to the crowded C segment, Nissan does not have much choices when it comes to pricing. Hence they are targetting both the B+ segment and C segment customers(by underpricing it compared to it's competitors). Expect diesel by Jan 2012.
Old 13th October 2011, 23:17   #201

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
How did you find the under thigh support? I am also 5 11 and interested in knowing about this. The pictures in the review show a 6'3" person on the rear seat, and the under-thigh support did not look good for that person.
Hi Considering the space between the front seat and the back, i could keep my legs a bit more stretched so the under-thigh did not feel bad. Yes it is not as good as in Manza.
Old 14th October 2011, 01:24   #202
hvs
BHPian

After Tata reducing Manza prices by 45K, perhaps Manza is more VFM than upcoming Sunny D which will be priced at least 6.60L onwards...
Old 14th October 2011, 08:01   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvs
After Tata reducing Manza prices by 45K, perhaps Manza is more VFM than upcoming Sunny D which will be priced at least 6.60L onwards...
+1 to that.
Manza is a proven sofa on wheels running the national engine. It's definitely VFM in its segment. Sunny D can not match the
Manza numbers anytime soon.
andromeda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 09:02   #204
hvs
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by andromeda View Post
+1 to that.
Manza is a proven sofa on wheels running the national engine. ....
I like the way you put it..!
And my desire to own one goes stonger...
Old 20th October 2011, 23:37   #205
BHPian

Just an update to all -
I did saw a Sunny (Diesel) on test drive in bangalore. I noticed it around koramangala area with the temporary registration number (TN). While i was wondering why a TN temporary registration vehicle in Karnataka, it passed me quickly, but i did notice the sticker on the back covering dCi

I'm confident that we'll see the diesel sunny soon. My long wait to finalize a sedan will come true ( hopefully)
Old 21st October 2011, 08:39   #206
Senior - BHPian

Its surprising that we dont have any ownership threads of the Sunny on the forum since its been some times since they were launched. Have they been not delivered as of yet or none of the BHPians have actually booked one? What seems to be the reason for the same?
Old 21st October 2011, 10:25   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Its surprising that we dont have any ownership threads of the Sunny on the forum since its been some times since they were launched. Have they been not delivered as of yet or none of the BHPians have actually booked one? What seems to be the reason for the same?
Most of the fellow bhpians are probably waiting for the Diesel launch which is just around the corner. We should see more action after that.
Old 21st October 2011, 16:14   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Hi,
I did book a Sunny XL variant 3 weeks back but yet to get delivery - was promised this weekend but now understand that deliveries are yet to happen from the factory and hence will get pushed behind by ~10 days.. Rest assured, will post my review as soon as I get the Caaaaar !!!
Old 22nd October 2011, 21:09   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur
All- I have booked the XV model this evening - they are ready to deliver the car on tuesday (silver) dealer confirmed the diesel launch likely feb/mar and the engine is same as in micra, tuned to higher HP .

While on the topic if any fellow Bhpian's can confirm if they have any offers of any kind from the dealership on the 'sunny' the ONP is 8.39Lacs no freebies/no discounts
Old 25th October 2011, 11:11   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL4X4 View Post
All- I have booked the XV model this evening - they are ready to deliver the car on tuesday (silver) dealer confirmed the diesel launch likely feb/mar and the engine is same as in micra, tuned to higher HP .

While on the topic if any fellow Bhpian's can confirm if they have any offers of any kind from the dealership on the 'sunny' the ONP is 8.39Lacs no freebies/no discounts
Wow, thats a super fast delivery... which city did you book the Sunny? I got no discounts / deals whatsoever from the dealer in Chennai.. In Bangalore they were willing to give corporate discount of INR2,000 !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks