Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2013, 17:11   #2881
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserketkar View Post
Well it IS the dealers fault along with the company's. You can't absolve the dealer the responsibility. It's his job to keep stock, if a part is unavailable order for it and follow it up to make sure it comes in a reasonable period of time.
I should have clarified that the unavailability of many parts is because the factory cannot/is not supplying them to Dealers in a timely basis. What is the dealer to do in cases the factory has decided to use every part to maximize production of vehicles that are back ordered rather than slow down production to meet spare part requests? Unfortunately Consumer Protection is weak in India. Abroad, warranty repairs have to be completed within a certain time frame by the Warrantor, in this case Renault) if not he would have to make the Warantee whole (pay for rental car etc.)
Old 14th August 2013, 19:42   #2882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdman View Post
I should have clarified that the unavailability of many parts is because the factory cannot/is not supplying them to Dealers in a timely basis. What is the dealer to do in cases the factory has decided to use every part to maximize production of vehicles that are back ordered rather than slow down production to meet spare part requests? Unfortunately Consumer Protection is weak in India. Abroad, warranty repairs have to be completed within a certain time frame by the Warrantor, in this case Renault) if not he would have to make the Warantee whole (pay for rental car etc.)
Yes, I agree. This us where the support offered by the company is very critical. That is why I mentioned the dealer is responsible ALONG WITH the company.

As for the consumer protection, there may not be a mechanism in place so the customer needs to fight for himself. If the repairs are delayed beyond a reasonable time frame because of some fault of the company or dealer, then you are well within your right to demand for a replacement vehicle. If need be this can be taken up with the company management.
I've seen instances in which M&M ASCs have given the customer a xylo or another Scorpio while his Scorpio was waiting for spares. I'm sure Renault must have a similar policy in place. You just have to be ready to fight for it.
Old 17th August 2013, 12:53   #2883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post

1465kms, in a single day, reached Delhi around 10.30pm.
What a car, loveing every minute of my association with it.

Attachment 1123704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
The similarities never end.
I have never felt so safe or never trusted the reliability of any vehicle the same way I look at the Duster.
No wonder, as a duster owner, I too feel the same. During one of long trip (from Chennai to Tanjore) I got stomach cramp in Tanjore, it was so severe, I was not even able to sit or lie down. I was worried about my return trip with my family (wife and two kids). After 3 hours of rest, I got into my Duster, I drove to Chennai without any pit-stop. No strain and no pain. I rate my car 10 stars for its comfort!!!.
ssmani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2013, 15:37   #2884
Senior - BHPian

I had to take my 50 days old daughter for vaccination today, & when I was nearing the hospital, I was following a Duster on a bad patch. In fact, my non-enthusiast wife pointed put how the vehicle was rocking on the pot holes, much like our own Santro Xing, & also chided me about telling the all in family that its got a pliant ride. I was clueless...

Guys what could be the reason? Over-inflated tyres or market hype of the magic carpet ride... I believe it is the former. Your call .
Old 17th August 2013, 17:15   #2885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Guys what could be the reason? Over-inflated tyres or market hype of the magic carpet ride... I believe it is the former. Your call .
By my experience. Going too slow on portholes will cause the rocking. But still from inside it's not hard shocks. Feels like a boat. A little speed will smooth out the road. And yes the tyre inflated more than 30ps is bad.
Old 18th August 2013, 10:39   #2886
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I was following a Duster on a bad patch. In fact, my non-enthusiast wife pointed put how the vehicle was rocking on the pot holes, much like our own Santro Xing, & also chided me about telling the all in family that its got a pliant ride. I was clueless...

I hope your joking. Just by looking at the car in front you are able to see whether it has a pliant ride or not?

Unless your sitting in the car and feel uncomfortable your post is pointless.
Vid6639 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th August 2013, 16:37   #2887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I hope your joking. Just by looking at the car in front you are able to see whether it has a pliant ride or not?

Unless your sitting in the car and feel uncomfortable your post is pointless.
@Vid6639 It wasn't much difficult... the vehicle was jumping out of potholes & almost landing with a thud, even when the speeds were 10 kmph in that section. Add to this, the driver's head was moving sideways like an earthen toy with spring attached at the neck every-time the tyres wound hit a pothole. I felt the ride in my car was more comfortable for my wife & infant daughter, who slept through the way to Doctor.
Old 18th August 2013, 17:20   #2888
BHPian

Quote:
the vehicle was jumping out of potholes & almost landing with a thud, even when the speeds were 10 kmph in that section. Add to this, the driver's head was moving sideways like an earthen toy with spring attached at the neck every-time the tyres wound hit a pothole.
That's strange. Even an over inflated tyres wouldn't cause this reaction from Duster. It behaves quite refined.

When I drove out of showroom, the tyres were set around 40ps. Just for feel, I had driven for around 100kms before deflating the tyres to 30ps. Driven alone and with family.

The wheels felt hard and bouncy, yet not the way you saw the Duster rocking.

IMO at 29ps tyre pressure the ride comfort is the best.
Old 18th August 2013, 18:05   #2889
BHPian

Have been keeping the tyre pressure 32/30 and seem to be getting the optimal mileage in this. If I drive with 30/28 there is no dramatic change in ride quality, but the mileage seems to drop down by around 1 kmpl ( goes drown from 15.5 to 14.6).
I drive a 110.
Old 18th August 2013, 18:44   #2890
BHPian

Let me steer you all in another direction.
How good do you guys/gals find the fog lights to be.
I my self have not had a chance to use then in conditions where the road was fogged up.
During normal driving (in the night), I can barely make out any difference when switching them on.
Am I going about this the wrong way, or are the fog lamps week, or is it specific to my car?

Last edited by sumeshmani : 18th August 2013 at 18:45.
Old 18th August 2013, 18:56   #2891

CrazeDave @ I have been facing the same issue since i got the second service done. prior to that there absolutely no noise at all.i still have not been able to figure out the problem.
Old 18th August 2013, 19:09   #2892
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
During normal driving (in the night), I can barely make out any difference when switching them on.
During a recent trip to Ooty I've done some decent hill driving in rain, fog and slush. Both night and day. The lights are sufficient for most circumstances.
If you plan fast drive at night, I'll recommend to go for additional lamps and not alter existing setup.
Old 18th August 2013, 22:26   #2893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmani View Post

No wonder, as a duster owner, I too feel the same. During one of long trip (from Chennai to Tanjore) I got stomach cramp in Tanjore, it was so severe, I was not even able to sit or lie down. I was worried about my return trip with my family (wife and two kids). After 3 hours of rest, I got into my Duster, I drove to Chennai without any pit-stop. No strain and no pain. I rate my car 10 stars for its comfort!!!.
Good for you. In my case I am experiencing lower back pain after a longish drives of late. Not sure if this because of the seat. I feel it is not supportive and think that I am thrown about (by millimetres ) in the seat. May be it is the after market seat covers I added? The loose seat rails may be? Or could it be that I am no longer fit?
Old 18th August 2013, 22:34   #2894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
Good for you. In my case I am experiencing lower back pain after a longish drives of late. Not sure if this because of the seat. I feel it is not supportive and think that I am thrown about (by millimetres ) in the seat. May be it is the after market seat covers I added? The loose seat rails may be? Or could it be that I am no longer fit?
May be as models differ in back rest/support adjustment for driver (present / abscent). Yours does not have it?
Old 19th August 2013, 14:04   #2895
BHPian

Quote:
........ In fact, my non-enthusiast wife pointed put how the vehicle was rocking on the pot holes, much like our own Santro Xing, & also chided me about telling the all in family that its got a pliant ride. I was clueless...
Nothing is what it seems on the outside. I bought a Bolero just riding behind it and being floored by it's seemingly planted drive over rough roads.Once I was on the driver's seat, It redefined the term tumbletop action (No offence to bolero owners - Still feel it is the best low cost SUV on indian roads). Maybe your santro being smaller in size was able to negotiate those pot hole filled roads better than the Duster or maybe the driver was intentionally driving into potholes for reasons best known to him . Having said that, I love the way duster performs on my regular semi off-road sojourns. It is definitely more comfortable than any of my previous rides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
Are you buckled up? I was never a seat belt guy before but after I got the Duster I always buckle up. The high pickup combined with the high GC might momentarily give a sudden jerk your body which is not very pleasant if you do not anticipate it. Cause of lower back pain might be more due to the hard clutch. I have completed 38000 KMs and recently when I went to the service center I checked on the clutch of a brand 110. The clutch was definitely softer.As your ride gets older the clutch invariably becomes harder.Check out sciatica on wikipedia. It might give you some hints.
Neil Roy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks