Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2013, 09:07   #2911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
And he also mentioned another thing which took me by surprise. He said that the brake pad wear will be indicated in the instrument cluster and you don't need to worry about it till the light glows up. He also said that their Demo vehicle has done above 30k km and hasn't had any pads changed.
This is news for me. The feature isn't mentioned anywhere.

Thanks for the info on the doors. On first service they did grease the door hinges and lock even though I didn't mention any complaints. And the SA showed to me before delivering the vehicle.
Old 25th August 2013, 16:50   #2912
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo;3217p55
I Similar to what one forum member did here (installing a rubber stub of slightly increased length in place of the one originally fitted in the door) and should be given the credit of figuring it out on his own. Was it Himadri-da?

And he also mentioned another thing which took me by surprise. He said that the brake pad wear will be indicated in the instrument cluster and you don't need to worry about it till the light glows up. He also said that their Demo vehicle has done above 30k km and hasn't had any pads changed.
Yes, I had those rubber stubs fitted after which to dynamics of the doors changed.
The brake pad indicator is really interesting. Will wait this time to find out.

My new upgrade Pioneer AVH-X5590BT.
Just floored by the sound quality.

Renault Duster : Official Review-img_20130825_044313.jpg
himadrimondal is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th August 2013, 17:43   #2913
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
Attachment 1128862
Might I ask... Do the controls on the company fitted audio control stalk work with this HU?
Old 25th August 2013, 18:07   #2914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
Might I ask... Do the controls on the company fitted audio control stalk work with this HU?
They actually do, all you need is a Pioneer-Renault steering remote interface.
But these come at a high price, both in the domestic and international market.
I paid 4.5k for it.
Old 25th August 2013, 19:07   #2915
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
They actually do, all you need is a Pioneer-Renault steering remote interface.
But these come at a high price, both in the domestic and international market.
I paid 4.5k for it.
Sorry could not follow this. You mean a separate Steering control ? Or you mean some kind of logical protocol/interface which works in tandem with stock steering controls.
Old 25th August 2013, 19:16   #2916
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Sorry could not follow this. You mean a separate Steering control ? Or you mean some kind of logical protocol/interface which works in tandem with stock steering controls.
Its not a separate steering control. The Renault steering control/stalk has a specific pinout, the Pioneer head unit has a different one. This one sits in between them to connect them. Sometimes, it might include electrical conversion too.

This fits in behind the dashboard/HU, so on the outside you can use the OEM controls.
arunphilip is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2013, 19:16   #2917
BHPian

Yes, a interface fitted between the Pioneer player and the steering remote control jack that used to go in at the back of the original OEM player unit.
The whole setup is done behind the new 2 din player.
himadrimondal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2013, 21:11   #2918
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I had those rubber stubs fitted after which to dynamics of the doors changed.

Great audio system, and thanks for the info on the intermediate connector.

I have been contemplating and upgrade to the music system...not as much the ICE, but primarily the speakers. However I do not have a clue about where to start. With your upgrade I am sure you would have a thing or two to recommend.
Will changing the speakers alone give a considerable improvement, or do I need to upgrade the unit as well?
Any recommendations for speakers themselves would be appreciated. Am not an audiophile but don't mind spending 5-10 k if there are any strong recommendations.

Thanks

By the way, am also looking at the Renault duster ICE upgrade thread, as there is a bunch of stuff people are discussing

Last edited by amitdan : 25th August 2013 at 21:14.
Old 25th August 2013, 21:30   #2919
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitdan View Post
I have been contemplating and upgrade to the music system...not as much the ICE, but primarily the speakers. However I do not have a clue about where to start. With your upgrade I am sure you would have a thing or two to recommend.
Will changing the speakers alone give a considerable improvement, or do I need to upgrade the unit as well?
Any recommendations for speakers themselves would be appreciated. Am not an audiophile but don't mind spending 5-10 k if there are any strong recommendations.
Speaker upgrade would give you a notch up in performance. The stock speakers are outright pathetic. Thats what I did. No Amp, No HU, just the speakers. I went with Infinity Primus components for front and co-ax for rear. Throughly satisfied with the performance. I listen to all kinds of music and that too at least 2 hours a day ; Carnatic/hindustani classical vocal/instrumental FM (Old Hindi), English (Heavy Metal/Rock/Folk) etc. Never felt out of place with the setup.

Along with it I also got the doors damped. Dont know how much has it aided in the music quality though.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 07:36   #2920
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post
Hi BUXX, HSR - Could you please share some pic of the Galio chrome rear view mirror installed? I went to a shop today for this kit and it was priced at Rs. 1600 here in Bangalore. The seller did not agree to opening the box to show the product before installation.
Thanks
Chrome kit includes 3 things
1. Chrome door handle covers.
2. Chrome fog light surroundings.
3. Chrome tail lamp arcs (which looks pathetic IMO)
Galio chrome kit does not include chrome covers for ORVM's
Rs 1600 is the maximum seller can ask because its MRP printed on box.
Do some negotiations on price.

Quote:
Another stunner from Himadri
Where did you get system installed, i guess are on outstation trip.
How much you pay for bezel used to fit unit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
Guys, I want to change the headlamp bulbs with more powerful ones.
Which ones can I use without changing the relay? Simple plug and play bulbs would do.
High beam at highway speeds is inadequate.
I want to change both low and high beam bulbs, I notice 55W is the marking on the spare lamps. Can I install a 95W or 110W bulb without any change in relay in high beam and 65W in low beam?
i have been using philips crystal vision for low beam.No improvement in light throw in IMO.It just adds to the bling effect.
I would suggest to go for Auxiliary lamps like Tbhpian Noelravin has done to his ride.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...rket-horn.html
Old 26th August 2013, 08:08   #2921
BHPian

Please inform us u got both front and back skid plates of duster for 6 k i am gettings quotes of minimum 12 k please give details where you purchrases will save me a lot of money
Old 26th August 2013, 08:41   #2922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.s.r View Post
Chrome kit includes 3 things
1. Chrome door handle covers.
2. Chrome fog light surroundings.
3. Chrome tail lamp arcs (which looks pathetic IMO)
Galio chrome kit does not include chrome covers for ORVM's
Rs 1600 is the maximum seller can ask because its MRP printed on box.
Do some negotiations on price.
Thanks H.S.R! I specifically wanted the blacks of RVMs as Renault quotes 3k for painting them in body color. The other chrome kits looked cheap a.k.a taxi level.

I got the audio installation done from a local vendor a few days back. The bezel was given to me as freebee without any mention.

I installed a new Bosch horn (Skoda - Trumpet) to replace the stock one. The only specification was I did not want it too loud & contributing to noisy roads. The MRP was Rs. 627 and got it all done for 600 bucks. Wire splicing was done for installation.

Last edited by pahwa : 26th August 2013 at 08:49. Reason: Addition
Old 26th August 2013, 09:16   #2923
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitdan View Post
Any recommendations for speakers themselves would be appreciated.

By the way, am also looking at the Renault duster ICE upgrade thread, as there is a bunch of stuff people are discussing
Amit, the stock speakers and the head unit as they come are not up to the mark, specially the speakers as Ampere too has pointed out.
I would suggest you take it step by step, as I did.
1. Upgrade your speakers (components in the front) first, can add a amplifier to add to audio quality.
2. Dampen your doors, they have a tremendous effect on the audio quality as I have experienced.

After the first two steps, the audio quality would be just fine, you would enjoy the music. Continue with this setup for quiet some time.
Later if you feel like hearing the breath of a singer or the faintest of notes in your favourite music, then
3. Go for the head unit upgrade.

You can get all details about the upgrade here,. Everything is explained in details.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h.s.r View Post
Where did you get system installed, i guess are on outstation trip.
How much you pay for bezel used to fit unit.
I got it installed at my home, got the head unit and the bezel from separate places and asked my favourite car ICE mech to do the job.
The bezel is for the Renault Duster fit, had to pay 1.5k for it.
himadrimondal is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 10:01   #2924
BHPian

One issue with the Galeo Chrome kit that I had installed. It has started rusting up. I would not recommend this. Get the handles painted on your first service. Thats a lasting solution i guess.

On the ICE upgrade: I got the JBL 5.25" speakers added - cost me 5K fo rthe 4 speakers. But seriously, its not much of an upgrade. I would also advise against getting these speakers. They are pretty much the same as the stock ones ! and I'm 5K lighter.
BUXX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2013, 10:08   #2925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
On the ICE upgrade: I got the JBL 5.25" speakers added - cost me 5K fo rthe 4 speakers. But seriously, its not much of an upgrade. I would also advise against getting these speakers. They are pretty much the same as the stock ones ! and I'm 5K lighter.
The sales guys had mentioned the Duster has factory fitted Kenwood speakers. Can anyone verify that please.

I am not a music enthusiast myself. Whatever plays is good. I find the sound quality pretty decent.

Most Viewed