Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2014, 16:17   #3661
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Renault Duster ‘Joy’ Yellow edition launched by a dealership.

Another dealership introduces the Renault Duster Joy Yellow edition, this custom certainly seems inspired by the Duster Detour Concept.

Renault Duster : Official Review-renaultdusterjoyyelloweditionfrontthreequarter.jpg

The Joy Yellow will cost an additional INR 1.5 lakhs just for the paintwork.

http://indianautosblog.com/2014/02/r...aunched-121417

Last edited by volkman10 : 20th February 2014 at 16:20.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th February 2014, 16:45   #3662
BHPian

If I remember correctly, you can get the dual tone paint job done for ~44K at the cochin service center.
::CMS:: is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2014, 16:35   #3663

So finally Renault India has passed on the benefits of the excise duty cuts to the customer! 85Ps RxL(O) goes from 11,18L to 10.822L; thats 35.8k on the variant that i have booked for!

so apparently the car is sitting in the dealer's stockyard for the last few days and i need to get the paperwork in order before i can collect it. being out of the country on work hasn't helped either. getting really impatient to see the new ride. just need to make sure that the dealer passes on this benefit to me, completely. Will keep the forum posted on what happens as this here is a unique case of having booked the vehicle and the dealer has received it from Chennai and the customer is still not around to collect it and the will demand the excise cut benefit when he shows up.

btw, this being my 1st post here at TBHP, let me also thank all the members who have unknowingly helped me a lot in my decision making in the past on cars, adventures and the lot. really fortunate to have made the cut after 3 attempts; didn't realize the writing assignments would fail me again and again and again.... but well!! now i am here!! Hope to see a lot of all you duster owners!
Old 22nd February 2014, 21:10   #3664
BHPian

Friends, I need help. Does anyone of you have Steering wheel rattle issues in your Duster ? Mine is 85 RxL(O) @ 6000 km.

I hear (and sometimes feel, may be because of the unwanted feedback from steering wheel) this when I drive over rough/broken patches of road. The rattle is acute while cornering over bad roads.

However if I gently press the horn pad (whithout actually honking) when driving over broken road, I rarely hear the rattle.

I understand from various sources that the steering wheel rattle is due to some incorrectly positioned wiring which comes in contact with the plastic cover (Horn? ). I gave the car twice at the service center for fixing this, however they're sticking to the opinion that everything is normal.

Does anyone if you have similar experience? Would appreciate if someone can explain how I could help the service personnel understand the root cause.
Old 23rd February 2014, 07:11   #3665
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjosephjacob View Post
Friends, I need help. Does anyone of you have Steering wheel rattle issues in your Duster ? Mine is 85 RxL(O) @ 6000 km.

Did you get any re-wiring done? New Amp, new lights etc? Cant think of any reasons as such. Never had any such issues till now.
Old 23rd February 2014, 08:41   #3666
BHPian

Quote:
I too had a similar problem, though not the steering but the accelerator pedal. Once cleaned the air filter myself and may be while fitting pushed the entire assembly back a bit to touch the firewall. So when ever I used to accelerate, the airfilter assembly vibrates thus touching the firewall, the other side of which is the pedal fitted. Similar vivrations flowed right upto the pedal which was quiet irritating.
You need not worry, give it a through look.
Old 23rd February 2014, 12:36   #3667
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Did you get any re-wiring done? New Amp, new lights etc? Cant think of any reasons as such. Never had any such issues till now.
No, everything is stock. Well, the rattles are not too loud and I can live with it, however it's annoying when I think that none my other cars (which have over 1 lac km in the odo) have this.

On a lighter note, where my 2 year old Honda City is absolutely rattle free @ 25000 km, my 4 months old Duster has already started complaining @ 6000 km.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
I too had a similar problem, though not the steering but the accelerator pedal. Once cleaned the air filter myself and may be while fitting pushed the entire assembly back a bit to touch the firewall. So when ever I used to accelerate, the airfilter assembly vibrates thus touching the firewall, the other side of which is the pedal fitted. Similar vivrations flowed right upto the pedal which was quiet irritating.
You need not worry, give it a through look.
Thanks, this also must be something of that sort. Will consult with my service advisor again and make sure that I'll be present in person when they work on the steering column again.

The sedans that I'm very much used to are City, Verna, Vento and Altis. I find my Dusters ride quality pretty stiff when I compare it to City/Verna/Altis. I think my Duster (Apollo Hawkz, 30psi on all tyres) rides more like a Vento.

Say for example I take my vehicle over those raised reflective markers in the middle of the road; I find that the resulting jerk is more obvious in a Duster than a City/Verna/Altis. Same applies when I ride over unevenly placed beams of the poorly constructed bridges in our country or on poorly patch-worked roads (where patchwork is around a couple of centimeters higher than the road level) at low & moderate speeds. May be it's the much better NVH characteristics of a City/Verna/Altis that accentuates the difference.

On rough, uneven roads at moderate & high speeds, where a City/Verna/Altis bobs up or down, I agree that the Duster maintains its composure and filters out road undulations. Still, a little bit of stiffness is felt.

Does anyone of you think that the magic carpet ride quality of Duster is blown out of proportions? I've extensively driven Vento and I think the Duster rides like a Vento (or may be a little bit better, forget the handling part).
Old 23rd February 2014, 12:58   #3668
BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone of you think that the magic carpet ride quality of Duster is blown out of proportions? I've extensively driven Vento and I think the Duster rides like a Vento (or may be a little bit better, forget the handling part).
Completely agree.. I have a terrano 110 ps and am feeling the same. Magic carpet ride and all is just not happening in my vehicle as well.. I thought it's only in my car, I have the stiffness issue. I am comparing here with my uncle's rapid and friend's punto.
CkmGowda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 17:35   #3669
BHPian

Quote:

On a lighter note, where my 2 year old Honda City is absolutely rattle free @ 25000 km, my 4 months old Duster has already started complaining @ 6000 .

On rough, uneven roads at moderate & high speeds, where a City/Verna/Altis bobs up or down, I agree that the Duster maintains its composure and filters out road undulations. Still, a little bit of stiffness is felt.

Its actually very sad when you guys are complaining about the ride quality if the Duster. The first thing that catches my eye is you guys are coming from the sedan background. You should not have bought the Duster, regret the hype it created and many sedan owners, normal office goers falling for it.

Ask a guy who had sweat it out on a Bolero, Scorpio, Safari or any other suv's of similar category. The Duster rides like heaven and trust me, everyone with all the positive reviews and acknowledgements have still not guaged the capabilities of the fine soft offroader.

This car can take you from Kolkata to Delhi in straight 18 hrs flat, 1465kms in ONE Day and the driver and its passengers including a child still fresh to attend a ceremony at 11 in the night.

This car will take you to one of the most extreme places in India and be still composed and handle all boulders with ease.

My car has crossed 26k kms and is absolutely rattle free, doubt if anybody will subject the car to such extreme surface and weather like I did, proud to own a Duster.

Have patience, if you love your car, spend time with it, not by riding it but by working on it. Make it a head turner.

Last edited by himadrimondal : 23rd February 2014 at 17:47.
Old 23rd February 2014, 20:48   #3670
BHPian

The Duster has a very balanced ride. It is stiffer than a good sedan but where it excels is on really bad roads where it never loses composure regardless of the speed. If you consider the ride in totallity very few cars can match. The slow speed stiffness will considerably reduce with softer tires. I also suggest a tire pressure of 30ps instead of 32ps which makes a big improvement in the ride and also reduces the tire rumble at slow speeds. I have the OE MRFs - good tires.
Old 23rd February 2014, 21:48   #3671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
Its actually very sad when you guys are complaining about the ride quality if the Duster. ....

...doubt if anybody will subject the car to such extreme surface and weather like I did, proud to own a Duster.

Have patience, if you love your car, spend time with it, not by riding it but by working on it. Make it a head turner.
Himadri, I guess you lost my point. I don't regret that I spent 13 big ones on a Duster; in fact I'm very happy and proud that I did. I agree with everything mentioned in the quoted message as well. For the price, I believe there's no better package (that syncs with all my needs too) than a Duster and that's precisely why I bought it. I've driven Scorpio, Xylo, Safari, Ecosport and XUV as well, and I know for sure Duster blows them away when it comes to ride quality.

Only very few cars deliver what they promise and I know for sure Duster is one of them: As they put it- the comfort of a sedan married to strength of an off roader. Being a crossover, comparisons with sedans is inevitable. I was comparing Duster to the softly sprung Japanese/Korean sedans and making a point that the ride quality is more European ( typically Stiff, but balanced and mature) than Japanese/Korean (typically Soft and Cushiony). Vento is one of the best riding cars at moderate-High speeds and comparison with a Vento is not a bad thing at all. The Duster rides well. It’s just the ‘magic carpet’ feel that I don’t agree with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelravin View Post
The Duster has a very balanced ride. It is stiffer than a good sedan ...
... which makes a big improvement in the ride and also reduces the tire rumble at slow speeds. I have the OE MRFs - good tires.
Exactly my line of thought
xjosephjacob is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2014, 23:07   #3672
BHPian

UPDATE : Renault have solved the clutch problem for 110ps version.

The hard clutch was a big issue for all 110ps version. Which is now sorted out by a full clutch pedal unit replacement. The same was done on my duster two days ago. The clutch is now very soft.
AshwinThekkan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 00:10   #3673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshwinThekkan View Post
UPDATE : Renault have solved the clutch problem for 110ps version.

The hard clutch was a big issue for all 110ps version. Which is now sorted out by a full clutch pedal unit replacement. The same was done on my duster two days ago. The clutch is now very soft.
Hi Ashwin,

This is really good news as driving 110ps duster in heavy traffic is really a pain. How much did you paid for the replacement or are they doing it for free ?
Old 24th February 2014, 09:08   #3674
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Exactly my line of thought
As you rightly said it has the right balance. If you drive sedans which are high on handling (Fiat/Ford), you will find Duster soft. And if you ride a sedan which is soft (Hyundai) , you will find Duster stiffer. Thanks to that balance you never feel out of place. May it be bad roads, or a corner. Of course you cannot drive it like a sedan. But you will see the body roll well under control.

As regards to the magic carpet, I can relate to it because I came to it from a Ford Fusion, which had much stiffer suspensions. And because of Ford's sporty nature, and the fact I am a sedate driver, the ride quality experience showed up in my type of drive of the Duster at all points in time (city/highway/bad roads etc).

Example:

- Going over humps is never bumpy (stiff nature)
- And going over potholes also is not bumpy (softer nature).

I think its this aspect which people have been referring to as magic carpet. But of course, the perspective depends on where you are coming from.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2014, 10:07   #3675
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurha View Post
Hi Ashwin,

This is really good news as driving 110ps duster in heavy traffic is really a pain. How much did you paid for the replacement or are they doing it for free ?
If the car is under warranty you will get it done for free of cost. Also talk to the service center people if this replacement is available with them, because as of now the part availability is limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
From where you bought it? If possible, could you please ask the vendor how much it costs for an 85PS's filter? It seems the same costs 6K from a K&N dealer in bangalore. Also does it come with any warranty?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SX4LOVER View Post
+ 1 on CMS post....i would also like to know the price ...for a friend though!!
Green cotton filter is available at pete's for 85ps version. The cost will be below 5k only.
AshwinThekkan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks