Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2014, 17:40   #3781
BANNED

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
I think "in the cold countries" is more apt than "across the world". In the West, they don't even come with a radio. And their stated positioning is, "shockingly affordable".

India is a different market altogether. Here eating at McDonald's is given the same status as fine dining. So Duster is also a semi-luxury vehicle :-)
Sudipto-S-Team, that was spot-on! A pity that we pay good money for what is "shockingly affordable" - and leave good, sturdy, local produce (e.g. the Quanto) which would define value for money anywhere.

The recent media highlighting of the dismal results of the crash tests of several locally made vehicles raises a question - did these vehicles undergo the same type of crash test in Europe (or some other developed market), and did they fare as badly there ? Or were the results quite different ?
Old 24th March 2014, 10:23   #3782
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
The recent media highlighting of the dismal results of the crash tests of several locally made vehicles raises a question - did these vehicles undergo the same type of crash test in Europe (or some other developed market), and did they fare as badly there ? Or were the results quite different ?
Per my understanding, the crash test scores are computed for the base models which are sold in those markets. The equipment level in those models are far lesser than their other variants. Base models in most cases are strategicly placed for advertisement purpose to bring in footfall into the showrooms where the sales adviser takes over.
Old 24th March 2014, 23:53   #3783
BHPian

Duster 2014 model 85 bhp vs 2013 model 110 bhp

Hi Friends,

I am posting this on behalf of my friend. He went to Renault showroom to buy Renault Duster 85bhp top end model (with ABS and Airbags) as his budget was limited to maximum of 12 lakhs.

But he was given another option by showroom guys. They have some 2013 models of 110 bhp version RXL plus model (with ABS and Airbags) which they are offering with some more discount which comes to 11.5 lakhs. They initially told us that it is Dec 2013 model, but when we checked and decoded the VIN (thanks to wildon's post) it is July 2013 model.

So to conclude, here is the confusion with price details:

1) Duster 85 bhp top end (2014 Feb model) - Rs. 12 lakhs

2) Duster 110 bhp Rxl plus model (2013 July model) - Rs. 11.5 lakhs

3) Duster 110 bhp top end (2014 Feb model) - Rs. 13.5 lakhs (out of budget)

What are the disadvantages and probable issues of buying a 8 month old model ?

Or should he stick with 85 bhp top end Feb 2014 model ?

Please advise.
Old 25th March 2014, 06:35   #3784
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toretto View Post

Please advise.
I'd stick to 85ps Feb model. The July 13 ones could be the cars that were submerged in rain water. There is no way dealer would have a stock from July batch otherwise. Although there was a sales lull around that time due to anticipation of Terrano and Ecosport launch, there still was shorter waiting period and sales picked up later.

Last edited by HillMan : 25th March 2014 at 06:37.
Old 25th March 2014, 07:25   #3785
Team-BHP Support

Re: Duster 2014 model 85 bhp vs 2013 model 110 bhp

Quote:
85 or 110 is his choice depending on his need and driving style. As regards to last July mode, request him not to go with it. The newer 110 RXL now comes equipped with ABS and Airbags. So he can decide between this and the 85 top end based on his comfort.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2014, 11:15   #3786
BHPian

Re: Duster 2014 model 85 bhp vs 2013 model 110 bhp

Quote:
So to conclude, here is the confusion with price details:

1) Duster 85 bhp top end (2014 Feb model) - Rs. 12 lakhs

2) Duster 110 bhp Rxl plus model (2013 July model) - Rs. 11.5 lakhs

3) Duster 110 bhp top end (2014 Feb model) - Rs. 13.5 lakhs (out of budget)

Please advise.
Be it 85 bhp or 110 bhp; stick to the 2014 models as it will also help with resale value later. Plus, if there were any 'issues' with earlier models (hopefully not too many), they may have been addressed by Renault in subsequent models. e.g. earlier 110 bhp models had a 'hard clutch' I was told, but in the current 110 bhp model, this has been addressed and it is a light clutch etc.

Also, getting a fresh stock from factory without it having to be parked in the dealer yard for so long & then sold, is certainly better. I'd recommend going in for the latest available stock.
Old 25th March 2014, 11:54   #3787
BHPian

Thanks Hillman, Ampere, geotracks for the suggestions. I will ask him to go for 2014 model.

Thanks Ampere for letting us know regarding 110 RXL model which has ABS and Airbags, will ask him to check about the same. Regarding onroad price, 110 RXL model is less than 85 top end model.

To add to the confusion the dealer is giving good offer (insurance free + 20K exchange bonus) for 85 bhp top end which is available immediately. Regarding 110 bhp models, there is a waiting period of 1 month after booking, so he may have to pay an increased price after April :(
Old 25th March 2014, 12:01   #3788
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Ampere for letting us know regarding 110 RXL model which has ABS and Airbags, will ask him to check about the same. Regarding onroad price, 110 RXL model is less than 85 top end model.
The point to note is you should see which version you need. 85 is much easier for the city while 110 is good for the highways (6th gear too). But it has lag. It also has a heavier clutch. If you are looking for the highways you will find 110 much more engaging. So the choice depends on you. If you are a sedate driver on the highway and like to cruise at 90-110, then 85 top end is the ideal choice. Its also a pleasure to drive in the city. Else if you are OK with the lag and heavy clutch, then 110 RXL is ideal.
Old 25th March 2014, 13:15   #3789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
..The July 13 ones could be the cars that were submerged in rain water. There is no way dealer would have a stock from July batch otherwise....
My search for a Duster started in August 2013, and though I'd already decided on Duster, I was skeptical of buying it from Kerala because of the same reason.

Not sure if this has been discussed before or adds any value, I was informed by a credible source that those vehicles were declared as total loss. The insurance on the vehicles and the yard insurance helped them cover a big part of the financial loss. I remember he added that the Renault won't give warranty to those vehicles, and if sold, would put the dealership in legal trouble.
xjosephjacob is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th March 2014, 10:49   #3790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The point to note is you should see which version you need. 85 is much easier for the city while 110 is good for the highways (6th gear too). But it has lag. It also has a heavier clutch. If you are looking for the highways you will find 110 much more engaging. So the choice depends on you. If you are a sedate driver on the highway and like to cruise at 90-110, then 85 top end is the ideal choice. Its also a pleasure to drive in the city. Else if you are OK with the lag and heavy clutch, then 110 RXL is ideal.
Thanks Ampere, his requirement is a mix of both - city drive (office commute) and monthly twice long trips (approx 200 kms) to his native place. Will let him know about the clutch part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjosephjacob View Post
My search for a Duster started in August 2013, and though I'd already decided on Duster, I was skeptical of buying it from Kerala because of the same reason.

Not sure if this has been discussed before or adds any value, I was informed by a credible source that those vehicles were declared as total loss. The insurance on the vehicles and the yard insurance helped them cover a big part of the financial loss. I remember he added that the Renault won't give warranty to those vehicles, and if sold, would put the dealership in legal trouble.
Thanks xjosephjacob, this is news to me. Anyways have decided against 2013 model as suggested by members here.
Old 29th March 2014, 14:53   #3791
BHPian

Hello All !!!
My brother-in-law took delivery of 85PS RXL Plus here in Delhi as his primary requirement is city driving.
On road price 11.40 Lakhs with free insurance.
He chose Plus because of airbags,ABS et al.
Is the price OK?

Please suggest where to buy with approx rates :
Alloy wheels (BL Tyres asking for 20-24K for set of 4 for stock tyres, Sai Mag Wheels-26K)
Addition Speakers
Rear seat mounted DVD system.
3M films.
Floor Mates.

Thanks.

Last edited by dinesha : 29th March 2014 at 14:57.
Old 30th March 2014, 18:39   #3792
BHPian

While talking to a SA at local Renault showroom, I asked to highlight important difference between Renault Duster & Nissan Terrano. Amongst many exterior & interior difference that most on this forum may already know, he actually also said:

The Terrano uses Renault K9K Diesel engine, but the gear box is Nissan's own. While for Renault Duster, the K9K diesel engine as well as the gear box is both made by Renault engineers. To accommodate the Nissan gearbox with a Renault K9K diesel engine, Nissan had to do some 'modification' for a 'good fit'. While the gear box & K9K diesel engine for the Duster was native to Renault and is a much better 'fit' as both are Renault made.

Then when I went to the Nissan showroom to look at the Terrano, I was told that Nissan has 'improved' on the 'shortfalls' that Duster may have, since Terrano came out later and Nissan engineers have improved on what Duster already has. e.g. the Nissan SA mentioned that the suspensions & ride quality of the Terrano is slightly better than Duster.

Now I understand that neither of the above 2 points will be show stoppers for potential customers since in my opinion, both vehicles are good from what I saw. Agree Terrano's interiors & finish may be slightly better then Duster's, but then the Terrano comes at a slight premium too.

With this, would like to read comments on above mentioned 2 factors (native engine & native gear box combination [Renault Duster] AND suspension & ride quality [Nissan Terrano's, improvement]), from the veterans of Team-BHP forum (especially those having slight automobile engineering knowledge) and their thoughts on what the 2 SAs mentioned.

I am not too familiar nor an expert in automobile engineering and so I do understand that these 2 factors alone for sure may not favor customer's buying decision either ways, but from a engineering / theoretical aspect would be good to understand views of many professionals in this group.
Old 30th March 2014, 21:44   #3793
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post
The Terrano uses Renault K9K Diesel engine, but the gear box is Nissan's own. While for Renault Duster, the K9K diesel engine as well as the gear box is both made by Renault engineers. To accommodate the Nissan gearbox with a Renault K9K diesel engine, Nissan had to do some 'modification' for a 'good fit'. While the gear box & K9K diesel engine for the Duster was native to Renault and is a much better 'fit' as both are Renault made.
This is absolutely not true. Both share the power train, suspension and core mechanical components. The changes are in interiors, sheetmetal, insulation, etc....
4x4addict is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 07:30   #3794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
This is absolutely not true. Both share the power train, suspension and core mechanical components. The changes are in interiors, sheetmetal, insulation, etc....
Thanks. Good to know. So power train, suspension in both are native to Renault, right? Good information to have & understand.
Old 31st March 2014, 16:32   #3795
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post
The Terrano uses Renault K9K Diesel engine, but the gear box is Nissan's own. While for Renault Duster, the K9K diesel engine as well as the gear box is both made by Renault engineers. To accommodate the Nissan gearbox ..

.. I was told that Nissan has 'improved' on the 'shortfalls' that Duster may have.. the suspensions & ride quality of the Terrano is slightly better than Duster...
I own a 85ps duster. When I test drove Duster 110ps and 85ps back to back, and pointed out to the SA that I didn't like how the gear behaves in 85ps model I was told that the gear box in 85ps belongs to Nissan.

Both Duster and Terrano are mechanically identical. Having driven both cars extensively, I felt absolutely no difference in gear system, suspension and ride quality. Terrano's NVH is just a wee bit better, but the vehicle is underequipped. Where Nissan should have really concentrated is the wind noise seeping in to the cabin.

85ps version of both cars use Renault JR5 gearbox, whereas the 110ps version use Renault TL4 gearbox.

This is another link that could come handy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himadrimondal View Post
...This car can take you from Kolkata to Delhi in straight 18 hrs flat, 1465kms in ONE Day and the driver and its passengers including a child still fresh to attend a ceremony at 11 in the night.

This car will take you to one of the most extreme places in India and be still composed and handle all boulders with ease.
I'm just back after a near 600 km (around 8 hours, one 20 min break enroute) Bangalore to Kochi drive in Duster. Went to Bangalore in a Swift. Yes, the fatigue factor is much much lesser in a Duster.

However I find the wind noise annoyingly prominent at speeds above 100 kmph; so much that I find my swift's cabin a much quieter place.
xjosephjacob is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks