Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2014, 00:18   #3796
Senior - BHPian

Folks, looking at the 85 psRxL Plus version. Free insurance being offered in Bangalore. On road cost comes to 12.5 lacs. What other deals have other folks got? Is the orice ok?

Was told the Terrano does not have bluetooth in the equivalent version. Any idea what I should expect to pay for an equivalent Terrano on the road in Bangalore? What discounts are being offered?
Old 1st April 2014, 16:43   #3797
Senior - BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Apologies for the back-to-back posts. Could not get back in time to edit the earlier posts. Apologies too, for the long post. This is not really a rant as I am not emotionally invested in either car.

I have been looking at how the Duster & Terrano have been priced. I am, to tell you frankly, quite perplexed as to how Nissan plans to sell the Terrano. Please do have a look and let me know what I have missed or where I have made a mistake.

Please have a look at this xls: Nissan vs Duster price.xlsx

Curiously, the website talks about Terrano NISSAN TERRANO 85 PS XL D PLUS & NISSAN TERRANO 85 PS XL D THP but nothing there about the differences in between them in the downloaded brochure. The SA told me that, the mid-version is the XLD – has EBD, BA, EBS but not dual airbags or alloys. The ICE is standard throughout. The XLD- Plus has these. Apparently, there is no difference in trim levels between the 85 & 110. The 110, also has an exclusive XV trim level.

The Duster – The RxL is the first real version you can buy- has steering control, ICE, armrest kind of goodies. The RxE is the loss leader to get the foot falls into the showroom. RxL plus has dual airbags, ABS+EBD+Brake Assist & seat belt reminder. The Opt has alloys, touch MediaNav & Reverse parking sensors additionally.

Basically, the Nissan has no equivalent of the RxL – Plus version. You can take the base version or pay a bomb for some goodies!

Look the various kinds of comparisons (how do I upload tables into this dialog box?)

Broadly, the Duster has more reasonable spread of the variants with a more reasonable difference in price & goodies between variants. 3 lakhs separate the absolute base version to the top-of-the line version for the 85 bhp. (for the 110, about 1.4 Lakhs. I will not talk about 110 anymore as it has no interest in my current purchase decision)

Look at the Duster - the entry level is bare bones. The next level is significantly more expensive but can be purchased by anybody looking for a nice car, safety be damned. The Plus version addresses the new buyer of a nice car but safe car, in that it provides all a reasonable buyer can ask for. But if you want the whole shebang, then you need to shell out an additional 70k for which you get touch media-navigation system, Alloys & parking sensors. So, each model is clearly delineated and there is a rationale for why you would or would not spend the additional money.

For the Terrano, the spread is only 2 lakhs. But the 2nd variant takes up about 80% of that spread. Basically, you either buy the base version or you buy the top end because if you can afford the mid range, you sure as hell can stretch & get all the goodies.

The Terrano does not have the logical consistency of the Duster’s model line up. The entry level is priced too high compared to the Duster’s entry level. Why would you buy the Terrano when the equivalent Duster is 1.3 lakhs cheaper? Why would you pay a 12.5% premium for the Nissan badge? (Look at the 2nd sheet in the spreadsheet).

If you move up, you dont know what to compare the Terrano XLD with - it is much nicer than the 2nd level Duster but not nice enough as the Plus version. Again, it is tough to choose the Terrano. The mid range version of Terrano is costlier than BOTH the mid-range and the mid-range plus of the Duster. Again why would you buy the Terrano when the equivalent Duster is better equipped AND cheaper? Why they do not have a version priced at 12.75 Lakhs that is nice & covers basic safety is beyond me.

The difference at the top end is about 30k, which is reasonable, in my opinion.

In my mind, the boffins at Terrano should be trying to tell the following message with respect to the Duster – you want cheap, buy Duster; if you want loaded buy whichever looks good to you but if you want a sensible, VFM car, buy the Terrano. There seems to be enough grey area in the model line-ups to permit it. That, sure as hell, is NOT the message I am getting as a prospective buyer. The sales people give me some random nonsense about better suspension, thicker sheet metal etc.

I would bet the Terrano 85 PS sales is anchored by the top-end and is comparable to the Duster 85 PS top end in volume.

But, then, look at the 3rd sheet.

The base 110 & the loaded 85 Duster are BOTH cheaper than the loaded 85 Terrano. However, the 110PS is basically bookended by the Terranos with the middle ground being ceded to the Duster. This is essentially Innova, XUV, even Yeti territory. But Nissan can make a good fist of it, despite not having a ‘Luxury’ brand.

I don’t know why they even bother making the 85PS!

All this is based on the catalogue price; Duster is currently giving a 40k discount on top of this, essentially killing Terrano!

PS: BTW, there is bluetooth in the Terrano & works very similarly to the Duster. The doors do not Autolock.
sridhu is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 1st April 2014, 19:40   #3798
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
All this is based on the catalogue price; Duster is currently giving a 40k discount on top of this, essentially killing Terrano!
Well summarised. The Terrano, I think commands market for mostly those who have looks very high on priority. Surely Duster a better priced compared to Terrano. But there does exist a market segment, where people will give weight to looks. And there does exist such a segment.

And off course given a choice, who won't opt for a better looking product !

Quote:
PS: BTW, there is bluetooth in the Terrano & works very similarly to the Duster. The doors do not Autolock.
The Terrano door can be programmed to Auto-Lock. Take a look at the Mannual. I remember Vid mentioning about it. There is a method to get it to auto lock above a particular speed.

Quote:
@ampere: Is is not like the Duster is bad in looks! I really think that either Nissan is contractually obliged not to up the ante or they are missing a few tricks on differentiating themselves. Latter, most probably.
I am not saying that either! But given an option, many wound tend to chose the Terrano. Regarding the Autolock, I checked in mine. Its not possible. But looks like it can be done for Terrano.

Last edited by ampere : 1st April 2014 at 20:05.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st April 2014, 19:52   #3799
Senior - BHPian

@ampere: Is is not like the Duster is bad in looks! I really think that either Nissan is contractually obliged not to up the ante or they are missing a few tricks on differentiating themselves. Latter, most probably.

GM/ VW have honed platform sharing to an art form. Nissan/ Renault are faltering, somehow.

To add to the woes, sales training is pathetic. They just assume the guy plonking 13 big ones is an idiot. This in this age of instant and constant information.

For example, I were heading marketing at Nissan, I would aim the Terrano at the urban mom - as a safe, never-stop-at-anything alternative to a sedan instead of the better looks crowd.

I did not know, & more importantly, the SA did not know that Autolock could be programmed. Guess it cant be done for the Duster, though.
Old 2nd April 2014, 11:39   #3800
Senior - BHPian

Folks:

my mechanic threw a spanner in the works - he says that Duster has severe spare parts issues & some significant suspension issues. And the Terrano does not.

He claims there are a lot of Dusters < 2 years old on TruValue (?) due to this reason.

any opinions? Is it true? In that case, I think I should buy the top end Terrano & be done with it
Old 2nd April 2014, 12:17   #3801
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Folks:

my mechanic threw a spanner in the works - he says that Duster has severe spare parts issues & some significant suspension issues. And the Terrano does not.

He claims there are a lot of Dusters < 2 years old on TruValue (?) due to this reason.

any opinions? Is it true? In that case, I think I should buy the top end Terrano & be done with it
How is this even possible. Its the same vehicle with different cosmetics.
The guy is bluffing.
We own a duster and it goes for regular servicing. Never heard of any issues, and Ludhiana has a lot of dusters.
My brother has a Micra, and that is also good, but spares are difficult and take 3-4 days to procure. No such problems with Duster yet.
Old 2nd April 2014, 13:31   #3802
Senior - BHPian

@tsk1979 - sure possible because the companies do not share supply chains, only the platforms. But I am sure glad to hear that there are no issues with regular servicing.

The issue he is raising, to clarify, is that if there is an accident/ non-standard maintenance required, then there is lot of wait time as the spares are not readily available. Regular service should not get affected by this.

The guy is a friend also and hence has no reason to be lying. Could be mistaken. Hence the question to this forum.

Anecdotally, I know of a friend who drove around with a bashed in rear door for almost 2 months as the replacement door was not available & he needed a vehicle!

Could this be a Bangalore/ South India issue? Again, I am asking the forum to first validate if it is indeed a current issue.

Thanks.
Old 2nd April 2014, 13:54   #3803
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@tsk1979 - sure possible because the companies do not share supply chains, only the platforms. But I am sure glad to hear that there are no issues with regular servicing.

The issue he is raising, to clarify, is that if there is an accident/ non-standard maintenance required, then there is lot of wait time as the spares are not readily available. Regular service should not get affected by this.

The guy is a friend also and hence has no reason to be lying. Could be mistaken. Hence the question to this forum.

Anecdotally, I know of a friend who drove around with a bashed in rear door for almost 2 months as the replacement door was not available & he needed a vehicle!

Could this be a Bangalore/ South India issue? Again, I am asking the forum to first validate if it is indeed a current issue.

Thanks.
Yes, that is an issue with Nissan. Parts take time to get. For example the dampers had to be replaced under warranty, and there was a one week delay to get the dampers.
I think Renault has not outsourced stuff like Nissan, so things may be better.

That said, under the skin, both vehicles are same with common parts.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 14:23   #3804
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I think Renault has not outsourced stuff like Nissan, so things may be better.
As you said regular service is not a problem with Renault. But even I heard from SA that severely damaged vehicle (Ones which have gone through accidents) are very difficult to repair. But that I guess would be true for many other brands too and are just be specific to Renault alone.
Old 2nd April 2014, 14:55   #3805
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
As you said regular service is not a problem with Renault. But even I heard from SA that severely damaged vehicle (Ones which have gone through accidents) are very difficult to repair. But that I guess would be true for many other brands too and are just be specific to Renault alone.
Compared to Tata, Maruti or Hyundai, in case of major accident, the chance of delay with Renault is more.
However, for Nissan, even minor stuff like dampers takes a week to procure.
Until Nissan gets its service house in order, the problems will remain.
Then there is also the problem of no existing ecosystem of spare parts in open market yet.
For Toyota, Mahindra, Tata, Hyundai and Maruti, in big cities you can get any part you desire from open market.
For example, Delhi has even Landcruiser parts available in open market at very reasonable prices.
Old 2nd April 2014, 17:10   #3806
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...my mechanic threw a spanner in the works - he says that Duster has severe spare parts issues & some significant suspension issues. And the Terrano does not...
Your mechanic is from Renault A$$?

Quote:
... He claims there are a lot of Dusters < 2 years old on TruValue (?) due to this reason...
You may have to get the details of the Tru Value and have a check.

Plus, both Duster & Terrano shares the same mechanicals. So I really do NOT know whether this is true. More than that, we do NOT have a single instance on the forum?
Old 2nd April 2014, 19:22   #3807
BHPian

Had used Carwale for selling my cars and had pretty good experience. So, I tested how many Dusters (both fuels and all variations) are listed for sale. I checked for Bangalore, H'bad, Kochi,Chennai, Mumbai and New Delhi. The numbers I found for all these cities together
accounted for less than 70. Duster has been on sale for close to 2 years now. So assuming
that there are some 5 equally popular used car sale websites like carwale, there are about
300 used Dusters, may be 500 on sale. One goes by news reports, Duster has sold close to
50k units or more. So the number of used Dusters on sale, should one call it plenty? Well, I don't know. I have been driving it for 16 months now and I ain't selling it anytime soon

Cheers
Waxeloquent is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 19:37   #3808
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a ton, @Waxeloquent. That is precisely the kind of reassurance I was looking for.
Old 3rd April 2014, 11:04   #3809
BHPian

I've been driving my Duster in Bangalore for a couple of weeks. Well, many of the places in Bangalore stinks, no offence meant, however I noticed that bad odors creeps in to Dusters cabin even if I'm driving with Windows shut and A/C on in air recirculation mode. I'm reasonably sure that the A/C air circulation slider works just fine, as is obvious from the air throw from the vents when I switch between fresh air/ recirculation modes.

The car was driven in Kerala till I moved to Bangalore for a temporary assignment and I've never faced such an issue before (Have driven around 8500 km within Kerala). Is it just me, or is this a common issue with the Dusters?
Old 3rd April 2014, 11:45   #3810
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks a ton, @Waxeloquent. That is precisely the kind of reassurance I was looking for.
As Tanveer and @waxeloquent said I think the sales guy is quoting some misleading numbers. As for my experience, I have been driving for about 1.5 years and have clocked 32K on the odo. Includes many many highway rides as well. Amazing FE and a very good ride all through the period. My driving is sedate; 80-100 on the highways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjosephjacob View Post
Is it just me, or is this a common issue with the Dusters?
Never felt this till date.

Last edited by ampere : 3rd April 2014 at 11:47.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks