Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2013, 18:46   #3061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun1010 View Post
Heard Duster's maintenance cost is higher to similar Cost Sedan Hyundai Verna. Is that true? Are SUVs costlier to maintain than Sedans.??
The maintenance cost is running around 4.5k per service from the 10k service onwards. 1st service being free. You can look into ownership threads for more info.

Some members have covered 30k on the odo as well.

I am saving my day to day running cost in a shared spreadsheet with stats. Link is available in my thread.

Sorry! Responding from phone so can't copy paste links.
Old 24th September 2013, 21:54   #3062
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
In my 10 months of ownership, I think it is high like all European cars. I do not know how much is the ownership cost for a Verna.
I had a Verna for 5 years (2007 to 2012); it was petrol, ABS; had it serviced every 6 months. Not a single accident. All the same average outgo was about 4k Rs. If I did any exterior body care work then it could go up to Rs5k. With introduction of service tax and surcharge, all maintenance costs have gone up.Now with rupee exchange rate going 65, 68 Rs to a $ we can not expect lower than Rs5k per service unless the car is all locally designed, made and serviced(parts all made here).

Cheers
Old 24th September 2013, 23:16   #3063
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

Not sure about the other cars, but the normal service expense of duster is not high (~4-5K max). But I am almost fainted on hearing the cost of some of the parts that are prone to get damaged at the first point of contact,
Chrome Grill : 15K!!!
Grill frame : 18K!!!
Bumper : 6.5K (front) / 5K (back) + paint
Windshield : 3.5K
Power steering pump : is located very near to the left wheel and an get damaged even with a small impact, costs 25K!!!
Intercooler : Is located just behind the bumper and even hitting a dog can be expensive ~7K as it doesnt have any protection.

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 24th September 2013 at 23:19.
::CMS:: is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 23:42   #3064
BHPian

Good one #::CMS::

Running cost is similar to a hatch. Remember service here is once a year affair. But a minor accident can set back the insurance company in 5 digits and a small dent on our pockets.
Old 24th September 2013, 23:53   #3065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
a minor accident can set back the insurance company in 5 digits
It can reach 6 digits very easily even for a minor accident, I saw a duster at cochin service center with a small impact on the left side (front) with an estimate of ~2Lakh!!!
Old 25th September 2013, 10:38   #3066
BHPian

So with the above discussions, is Duster costly to maintain over Verna in toto over long period of time? because the Purchase cost is almost same for mid variant of Duster to top variant of Verna.
Old 25th September 2013, 12:33   #3067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun1010 View Post
So with the above discussions, is Duster costly to maintain over Verna
I dont see any comparison of the verna's parts cost in the above discussion. The duster's maintenance charges are similar to a sedan. BTW, how can these two be compared, both belongs to different category.
Old 25th September 2013, 13:51   #3068
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
BTW, how can these two be compared, both belongs to different category.
Thats because the common benchmark is: whats the best one can get for a budget. Priority takes a back seat in such cases. There is nothing wrong about it. Just that one's thought process is different. One cant even say, what's being compared is apples vs oranges. Thats because comparison points are different.

Its a different thing altogether that, what we gain in one can be negated in another aspect of the purchase (price, quality, service, pleasure etc). But that is then left one's own choices.
Old 25th September 2013, 14:14   #3069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX View Post
There is a branded " Elegant" boot mat available for the Duster. and its cheap- 200 something. its a perfect fit.
Where did you buy the 'Elegant' boot mat from? I am unable to find one.

Only option I have is - getting a edge to edge glossy floor carpet offered be a JC Road shop. Looks cheap, still costs 1k but my last option since I have a jump seat in the boot and have spoiled the area with dirt and dust.
Old 25th September 2013, 14:52   #3070
BHPian

I got it a car accessory shop in NCR.. Just look around in Bangalore.. you should be able to get the same I guess.
Old 25th September 2013, 21:16   #3071
BHPian

Guys,

Got myself a similar armrest from eBay, as seen in Pahwa's post
Click Here for review and more pictures

Kudos to Shivakumar for the fit and finish.
He went out of the way to replace the original cover on the armrest with the same Luster leather material used on my seats.

Old 25th September 2013, 21:39   #3072
BHPian

Upgraded headlights to 80/100

Hello Everyone,

I was finally able to find a way to upgrade the lights of the Duster when I recently went to J C Road in Bangalore to find out, how its done.

What you'll need:
1. A pair of H1 which are 100W bulbs - I bought Philips Rally 100W
2. A pair of H7 which are 80W bulbs - I bought Osram Superbright 80W
3. Dual Head Lamp Relay
4. And obviously a person who can do it . Though its not really hard if anybody want to try it doing itself, but the only problem which one might face in doing that apart from procuring the relay cable is I guess is fitting/removing the bulbs from the dome as there is some kind of lock, I wanted to try that but couldn't do it.

After checking few shops here n there in Bangalore, I finally went to J C Road without taking the car in order to explore whether its possible or not, and then found few shops but I went to Car Sringar, which I liked to be good enough.

Then took my car yesterday in the morning and went straight to that shop and get the bulbs changed.

Here are the bulbs which I've used:
Renault Duster : Official Review-bulbs.jpg

You have to make a cut in the rubber cover to accommodate the wire which comes from the relay for external power

Right Side fitting
Renault Duster : Official Review-rightbulbfitting.jpg

Left Bulb Fitting
Renault Duster : Official Review-leftfitting.jpg

Then the wires input is given from battery
Renault Duster : Official Review-batteryfitting.jpg

Here, is how the relay looks like
Renault Duster : Official Review-relay.jpg

Thanks.
gurha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 08:48   #3073
BHPian

The risk is that the headlight assembly doesnt support the heat produced by a 100w bulb, it will damage it, instead spend on aux driving lamps. Moreover, you should use ceramic holders to support high wattage bulbs. Also seal the entry point made in the rubber boot using silicon sealant, the moisture/water can damage the H/L

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 26th September 2013 at 08:52.
::CMS:: is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 09:13   #3074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurha View Post
Here, is how the relay looks like Thanks.
I have a similar setup in my car at times the fuse or the relay switch goes kaput. I'd recommend you to buy two fuses and a relay switch in case they blow out.

I think your relay switch must be costing around rs 200-300 and fuse 5 amps would be around rs 15. Check the fuse rating before you get one.
D'Artagnan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 14:19   #3075
BHPian

Has anyone fixed the CASCA HU on the Duster,whats the feedback. I have got one and not liking it much.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks