Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2013, 13:38   #3046
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster : Official Review

What is the ideal tyre air pressure in Duster?

During delivery, the dealership told me 29 psi is ideal. I got it checked at a fuel station next day and found it to be at 40 psi. That leaves me confused and since then I am in middle, at 33. What is the most optimal as per your experiences?
pahwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2013, 13:48   #3047
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post

During delivery, the dealership told me 29 psi is ideal. I got it checked at a fuel station next day and found it to be at 40 psi. That leaves me confused and since then I am in middle, at 33. What is the most optimal as per your experiences?
40 or higher is how they are delivered/transported. Once you have the delivery, you need to get them down to 29/31 as you like it.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2013, 13:56   #3048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pahwa View Post
30ps is the recommended pressure and I find it to be right as well.
Fill up 30ps at the pumps. If you are filling up early morning then 29ps is fine (cold).

40ps looks good on Duster with the tyre pumped up. But then it give you a bumpy ride. Smaller irregularities of the road will be felt and tyre will bounce on pot holes. Your mileage will improve thou.

You will have to trade between ride quality and FE
HillMan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2013, 14:00   #3049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
30ps is the recommended pressure and I find it to be right as well.
Fill up 30ps at the pumps. If you are filling up early morning then 29ps is fine (cold).

40ps looks good on Duster with the tyre pumped up. But then it give you a bumpy ride. Smaller irregularities of the road will be felt and tyre will bounce on pot holes. Your mileage will improve thou.

You will have to trade between ride quality and FE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
40 or higher is how they are delivered/transported. Once you have the delivery, you need to get them down to 29/31 as you like it.
Thank you Ampere and HillMan - helpful as always.

Please have look at this thread. Looking forward to see you all -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...alore-324.html
Old 22nd September 2013, 16:08   #3050
BHPian

Anyone tried out Nitrogen fill? Any diff in long distance drive? Is that an issue if one develops flat in N fillies tyre? Trying to secure this aspect for my October Kerala trip. Is it the same 29/30 for that also? Thanks n Cheers
Old 22nd September 2013, 19:08   #3051
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxeloquent View Post
Anyone tried out Nitrogen fill? Any diff in long distance drive? Is that an issue if one develops flat in N fillies tyre? Trying to secure this aspect for my October Kerala trip. Is it the same 29/30 for that also? Thanks n Cheers
There wont be any measurable impact by using Nitrogen. Nitrogen is supposed to give you a consistent ride quality, because it does not expand and contract like air in different temperature condition. The requirement for air refills is also reduced as nitrogen is less likely to migrate through tire rubber

Here is a good article:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...stions/4302788

Anyway air is 78 percent nitrogen
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2013, 19:27   #3052
Tgo
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyone tried out Nitrogen fill? Any diff in long distance drive? Is that an issue if one develops flat in N fillies tyre?
Fifth Gear did a very nice and to the point film on this.

If they cannot get pure nitrogen in garages in Britain I can only wonder how duped we get of our 250 odd bucks in India. The same goes for top-up of batteries which is to be done with distilled water.
Tgo is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2013, 20:01   #3053
BHPian

Quote:
Anyone tried out Nitrogen fill?
IMO it is not worth the time and money spent for Nitrogen fillings. If you dont refill the tyres with Nitrogen when pressure goes down, the exercise will be wasted. Just get the pressure checked when you get the tank fill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post
If they cannot get pure nitrogen in garages in Britain I can only wonder how duped we get of our 250 odd bucks in India. The same goes for top-up of batteries which is to be done with distilled water.
Distilled water is a total hoax now a days, these are RO water minus the added minerals. Because no one buys it for drinking, I doubt the QC all the more.

The video is very educational and apt, thanks TGO. I have always advised my friends to stay away from Nitrogen, and this video only makes my view stronger. Like what they say in the video, regular top up of Air gets a more consistent pressure as time passes as oxygen molecules will keep migrating thru the rubber leaving the larger Nitrogen molecules behind.

Last edited by HillMan : 22nd September 2013 at 20:04.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2013, 09:22   #3054
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgo View Post

Spot on TGO,
I never used nitrogen in my swift. But with duster i switched to nitrogen initially and this is what i found.

I filled nitrogen to 29 psi but found the ride to be slightly bumpy than before. So checked pressure using the gauge and found the pressure to be at 31 psi. Suspecting the bunk i tried at 3 different bunks and to my surprise same issue. Also finding a nitrogen filling station on highway is a pain.

To avoid all this confusion and pain i switched back to normal Air. I always check tyre pressure on each fuel filling. This video reassures me there is no use in going for nitrogen.
kiranvakati is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2013, 12:38   #3055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post

Anyway air is 78 percent nitrogen
You nailed it! No Nitrogen vendor would claim his filling to be close or more than 90% nitrogen.

I did fillup Nitrogen in my Spark at Kropex service centre for 100 bucks. Did not see any change in mileage, ride quality or air retention duration. Decided I will not fall to this hoax ever again.
pahwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2013, 16:59   #3056
BHPian

1)
Have any of the Duster owners been able to get their hands on a boot-mat?
I remember one of the members reusing a Verna boot mat.

2)
Has anyone upgraded the fog-lamp/head-lamp bulbs? Please share details.

3)
I am also trying to find a Xylo like conversation mirror to keep a watch on my passengers. Please feel free to share ideas on this one.
Old 23rd September 2013, 18:31   #3057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
1)
Verna fits well, I wouldnt' care much for the boot, because these are not abused like the floor mats and last longer. In fact, I have never seen a requirement to change the boot mats in my other cars.

Quote:
2)
Has anyone upgraded the fog-lamp/head-lamp bulbs? Please share details.
Don't go for bright white lights, they are good to look, but you will have poor visibility in rain and mist.

Go with brighter lamps on stock wattage.

Check this thread

Quote:
3)
I am also trying to find a Xylo like conversation mirror to keep a watch on my passengers. Please feel free to share ideas on this one.
Suggest to go with blind spot sticker mirrors for larger coverage, but IMO those are more of a driving distractions. People really don't expect an eye contact with the driver. Just change the angle of your IRVM to suite.
Old 24th September 2013, 14:07   #3058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeshmani View Post
1)
There is a branded " Elegant" boot mat available for the Duster. and its cheap- 200 something. its a perfect fit.
Old 24th September 2013, 17:08   #3059
BHPian

Heard Duster's maintenance cost is higher to similar Cost Sedan Hyundai Verna. Is that true? Are SUVs costlier to maintain than Sedans.??
Old 24th September 2013, 18:42   #3060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun1010 View Post
Heard Duster's maintenance cost is higher to similar Cost Sedan Hyundai Verna. Is that true? Are SUVs costlier to maintain than Sedans.??
In my 10 months of ownership, I think it is high like all European cars.
I do not know how much is the ownership cost for a Verna.

Last edited by acroback : 24th September 2013 at 18:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks