Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd August 2012, 12:45   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Nissan Evalia : Official Review

I think deep inside Nissan knows that they cannot better or come close to replicate the success of the Innova or even the Xylo too with this product, but by launching this vehicle in a large volume market i am sure the Evalia will manage to do decent numbers , thanks to India's population and their increasing disposable income.

Also giving 165/80's for this size of vehicle is shocking & wont be safe. Clearly shows the profit mindedness attitude of Nissan.
Some may argue for better FE but i ask how much of a difference would it make anyway ?

Last edited by karan561 : 23rd August 2012 at 12:51.
Old 23rd August 2012, 13:19   #92
BHPian

Great Review! After looking at the pictures and reading review, i'm more than relived to have chosen the Ertiga over Evalia. Ertiga is definitely more presentable more like a family vehicle.

In my opinion Evalia must be positioned slightly above the Tata Venture. We must not be comparing it with the likes of Innova/Ertiga/Xylo, etc.
srirambr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2012, 20:18   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srirambr View Post
Great Review! After looking at the pictures and reading review, i'm more than relived to have chosen the Ertiga over Evalia. Ertiga is definitely more presentable more like a family vehicle.

In my opinion Evalia must be positioned slightly above the Tata Venture. We must not be comparing it with the likes of Innova/Ertiga/Xylo, etc.
+100. I too am glad I didn't wait for evalia (though I never had it in my mind). This is not going to affect Innova in any way. Superb review covering all key aspects
Old 23rd August 2012, 22:28   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You know a manufacturer has mainstream aspirations when it launches a sub-10 lakh rupee UV. This is an extremely difficult segment to crack, thanks to the domination by Mahindra, Toyota & Maruti (all three target a different kind of customer though). It’s strange that Hyundai – the no.2 car manufacturer of India – still doesn’t have a people carrier on sale!
May be hyundai read your post

came across this article ,not much details though

Hyundai plans sub-Rs 10 lakh utility vehicle for India
Old 24th August 2012, 10:41   #95
BHPian

Terrific review as usual!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
In US you get Mini vans like Honda Odyssey, Dodge Grand caravan and Toyota Sienna. Those maybe more upmarket and have better looks but serve the same purpose as the Evalia.
That's saying a LOT! Agreed that the car looks ugly (what about the humungously successful WagonR?!), and that it has left out numerous bits and made some strange calls. If Nissan gets the pricing right, the van should fetch decent numbers with all that space and give further toehold to Nissan in the country.
Old 24th August 2012, 11:14   #96
BHPian

Nice review,

Evalia will definetely do well in indian market, only if priced well ?

Its definitely better looking than xylo. it doesnt have the ability to lock horns with innova, but will take a bite of share from xylo for sure.
Old 24th August 2012, 13:24   #97
LDJ
BHPian

Oh what a disgrace. A very promising start at the front only to end in a weird block at the rear.

Is it possible for any PS enthusiasts on our forum to render something different to the ghastly rear to see how it could have shaped up better?
Old 24th August 2012, 20:18   #98
Senior - BHPian

This is no innova beater, really! The innova has gained such massive reputation over the years that even taxi operators dont mind paying 3-4 lakhs more than a xylo or a tavera. I was riding in an innova today and the vehicle was very badly maintained. Seats were dirty, looked like it was not serviced for more than a year. But the ride, solidity of the vehicle was unbeatable.
The Evalia is more of a threat to the Ertiga actually, but a failed one at that. The Ertiga is well packaged, has none of the awkardness of the evalia, seats 7, although not as comfortable as the evalia and I guess costs just as much too. And almost all of us would admit that even in a 7 seater, the third row is going to be used only 10% of the time. I fail to understand why global giants like Renault / Nissan bring such poorly executed vehicles to India.
I mean this is a Van and does not look any other part! I would not hesitate owning an ertiga, but the Evalia, no way!
The butterfly windows, the crudely exposed seat hinges, pathetic looking audio system{ why cannot these folks make a dash with a seamless Audio system housing like Marutis & Hyundais?} and many other quirks means that it will find few takers. Make no mistake, the taxi operators are an intelligent bunch too, they would think 10 times more than a car buyer before putting their money down.

Such "vans" are very prevalent in other asian countries, will have to wait and watch as to how India responds to this.

Last edited by motorworks : 24th August 2012 at 20:20.
Old 24th August 2012, 23:45   #99
BHPian

Looks like a van, feels like van and am sure will drive like one, so comparing to Innova, Xylo, Ertiga is a bit pointless. Different categories.

I don't see how someone looking for a car experience will go for the Evalia. He may think about it but it would be momentary, I don't see car buyers plonking down for this.

Intercity Taxis, school kid runabout, call centres? yes! but a personal vehicle? I would say best of luck with that. Nissan is trying its best to position it as something else but difficult to pull off.
Old 25th August 2012, 00:02   #100
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
Looks like a van, feels like van and am sure will drive like one, so comparing to Innova, Xylo, Ertiga is a bit pointless. Different categories.
Very easy to write it off without driving one.

Read through the review and you will see it is more car like to drive than Innova and Xylo.

I see it as a good option for large families. May not be for personal self drive but chauffeur driven.

A car that can carry all kids and families in decent comfort is still required.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2012, 17:46   #101
Senior - BHPian

For those who are writing off Evalia just on the basis of tyre size, please note that the hugely sucessfully QUALIS wore 175 R 14 and there were similar concerns raised when it was launched.

Nissan will have to convince the buyers about service and its ease of availability.
Why not a locakable glovebox with a cover,may be in two layers?

Loved the link shared by vid6639 about Nv200 Newyork taxi.

I do agree with Vid6639, this has caravan potential, in fact it is a much refined version of TATA WINGER Platinum.
Hope it does well in India as well since it has brilliant interior packaging and proven engine.

Last edited by silverado : 25th August 2012 at 17:53.
Old 25th August 2012, 19:41   #102
BHPian

The sliding door and sides are tolerable, but the "dabba" backside is hideous. If priced at or under 10lakhs, I would love to have it, seems very practical as per the review, but the backside is serious put off.
Old 26th August 2012, 11:38   #103
Senior - BHPian

The real deal breaker for me is the lack of sliding glasses at the rear. Will be really interesting to see what ASHOK LEYLAND does when they come out with their rebadged version

They could've atleast got windows like the VENTURE
Old 26th August 2012, 20:16   #104
BHPian

The Evalia just screams taxi...and if I were a betting man I would say that this will probably be a hit with our taxiwallah's!
Old 26th August 2012, 20:22   #105
BHPian

In my honest opinion, this is a designer's nightmare. This rumoured Innova killer may just sparingly kill Maruti Omni. They can really do much better than this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks