Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2012, 12:16   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: Exterior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Here's what i meant by the above.

Attachment 973293

I have only added tints and changed the alloy wheel design (more like a 15" size) in photoshop.

cya
R
This looks really good. I've seen Innovas with after market alloys and body kit but none look great. You always have the Innova look to it.

I think with this, you can get a real gangster mini van look like in the US.

One more change to the pic Rehaan. Add Team-BHP body graphics on the side like diagonally from bottom of front door to the top of C-pillar. We can have an official T-BHP van :-)
Old 22nd August 2012, 12:38   #77
Senior - BHPian

Re: Nissan Evalia : Official Review

Front looks great but rear looks awkward IMO.Features are good enough for an UV and interior has been designed keeping practicality in mind.Hope people dont reject it just by looking at it
Old 22nd August 2012, 12:40   #78
BHPian

Re: Interior (Rear)

Advantages over Innova:
  1. Initial Cost
  2. Fuel Efficiency
  3. Practicality:
    1. Space (esp. 3rd row)
    2. Driveability
    3. Turning Radius
    4. Boot Space
  4. Quirky reason - but I just cannot not mention it. Assume a scenario, where you don't get a hotel room on a trip, you can fold 2nd and 3rd row, and sleep in Evalia! You can practically live in here! (Of course not if 4-5 adults are travelling - See pic below)
Quote:
MIDDLE ROW

Middle row flipped forward. You could camp out in here:
Advantages of Innova:
  1. T-badge; reliability not a question mark
  2. Superb resale value
  3. Better tyres
  4. Looks better (Subjective)
Have run out of points; what else?
Old 22nd August 2012, 12:44   #79
BHPian

On replying to a query on positioning of Ashok Leyland Stile Rehaan said ...
Quote:
Yes it will definitely be positioned further down.

In terms of how this is possible - think about how the Versa became the Eeco.
It will only dilute Evalia's image. Taxi Fleet operators will go for Stile than Evalia. It may not have ABD/EBD & Keyless entry, but how much they can go down in price remains to be seen.

The Evalia price should also leave room for Stile. As always, a lot remains on the price.
viggienomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 12:47   #80
BHPian

Re: Interior (Rear)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
Have run out of points; what else?
I think the following points are also in favour of Innova
- Ride and handling
- Exterior and Interior build quality
Old 22nd August 2012, 13:12   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
45 psi, leaf springs, 165/80 R14 LT tyres and you guys found the ride comfort to be decent. I am baffled! Where in Bangalore did you do the test?
From the Golf Course to Nandi Hills and back. Vid is more familiar with the road and its condition - so he can expand on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
...some light should be thrown on the merits/demerits of swapping LT tyres for P tyres.
Keep in mind that this if for heavy American pickups, where the owner is considering switching to save money. Unlike a passenger vehicle (Evalia), the pickups have a much larger variability in terms of how heavy the load they might be carrying is. A more commercial version (Stile) might have this same problem. Hence my theory about a "joint deal" on the tyres for Evalia + Stile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
Do the sponsor's asked about your feedback before they roll out in market or they will check TBHP page for the review
First, i just want to correct the word sponsors that you have used.

They are not sponsors in any way - and Team-BHP is completely independent, and we do not take any sort of compensation or marketing spend for these reviews. Read more in the first paragraph here

To answer your question - it depends on the manufacturer. Almost all manufacturers do refer to posts on TBHP for general feedback / anticipation / trends. Others do also hold "focus groups" and sometimes reach out to us and ask if we want to participate and offer feedback (at the early stages of a project). Usually after a review, there is a short debriefing session / questionnaire where our feedback is asked for too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Add Team-BHP body graphics on the side...
Thought of throwing a TBHP sticker on there too, but didn't want to be too patronizing

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
Assume a scenario, where you don't get a hotel room on a trip, you can fold 2nd and 3rd row, and sleep in Evalia!
Indeed possible!
Nissan Evalia : Official Review-img_3312.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by viggienomad View Post
It will only dilute Evalia's image. Taxi Fleet operators will go for Stile than Evalia.
Its still unclear on whether the Stile will have a commercial-passenger variant? If they do, they might do something like have side seats all along - just to differentiate! Chances are they will be pushing the panel-van version too.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 22nd August 2012 at 13:15.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2012, 13:38   #82
BHPian

Saw an Evalia near Ashok Pillar going towards Guindy today. Blueish green colour. I think the car looks particularly ugly in the rear. I think it is not just the boxiness , but the narrow body and increased tallness in the rear that is causing the visual impact.

The vehicle struck me as being exceptionally narrow when I saw the rear end.

But as long as it is safe and comfortable and economical it should not be a problem.

If they are planning to release a panel van version, then it will have a lot of takers (Tempo traveller type)
Old 22nd August 2012, 15:42   #83
BHPian

Yuck!

That was my reaction on seeing the first couple of pictures of this vehicle. It looks like someone dove into the rejects bins of a lot of other vehicles to come up with this. The number of panels on this and the overall appearance is just bad. I thought the EECO and the VERSA were bad. But this one takes the cake on bad design.

However, I was still willing to read the entire review. Even after seeing the vehicle.

Then I noticed the 2nd and 3rd row windows.

I mean, who is the designer who came up with this in a passenger vehicle?! After that I just lost interest in the whole vehicle so much that I did not even read the whole review.

It might have ABD, Airbags and the whole shebang but I just cannot get over those windows.

And with so much of space inside, could they not find a better place to put the tools rather than under the front seat and that too not even enclosed.

My take is that this will be a huge failure in the passenger segment and the taxi segment.

The only way this will do well is if this is converted to a panel van. But even then would the small time businessman prefer this over Mahindra, TATA or even the LCVs?

A BIG thumbs down from me.
Old 22nd August 2012, 16:29   #84
BHPian

Thank you for the detailed review. The pics look good too. I have a few things against this Nissan:

1. The ribbed roof lines.
2. The flat floor bed.
3. Sliding door.
4. The box profile.
5. Microscopic tyres.
6. Substandard 'creature comfort' quality.

To the image conscious Indian these 5 points might just not cut the cake. This is a perfect recepie for a goods carrier what we popularly know as a van. I am sorry Nissan but you have released this car in the Indian market a little too late (maybe 10 years late). If we were in 2002 this would sell. But I'm sorry the Indian automotive industry has gone uphill and does not compromise on quality, looks and feel-good factor anymore. If I have to spend that money on a multi-utility vehicle - this would definately NOT be it!
Old 22nd August 2012, 18:07   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
Brilliant review !! as always ..

Moreover things like no roll down windows for the middle row , no aircon vents (middle row ) and only on the right side for the last row, those puny tiers that are best suited on a WagonR , no NVH insulation under the hood , forget about ACC and steering mounted controls ,these all are very basic things that every customer expects !!
I think you were expecting Evalia for personal use. This is an absolute Taxy segment vehicle where who cares what the tyre size and other points that you mentioned , only thing that matters how many bucks per kilometer and what is the seating comfort for a travel range of 200~300Km? Innova going rates are Rs13 ~14 /Km , if this vehicle offers Rs10/Km then its a winner. God knows whats going to happen to Tavera, I believe they are coming up with Chinese ( SAIC ) vehicle copycat of Evalia.
Old 22nd August 2012, 18:12   #86
Team-BHP Support

Excellent review Rehaan and Vidyut! Great attention to details. Thank you

The looks of this car may bring in divided opinions, but kudos to Nissan for giving an added option to our customers. If priced well, this can really take off a big slice from the taxi/commercial space reigned by the likes of Innova. Nissan cars are generally very reliable, cheap to run, and this one has the backing of India’s second national engine. Afterall, the NV200 is quite a popular vehicle worldwide. IIRC, Nissan have won a long term contract to provide a large number of NV200 taxis to operate in New York.
Old 22nd August 2012, 23:05   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramesh View Post
I think you were expecting Evalia for personal use. This is an absolute Taxy segment vehicle where who cares what the tyre size and other points that you mentioned , only thing that matters how many bucks per kilometer and what is the seating comfort for a travel range of 200~300Km? Innova going rates are Rs13 ~14 /Km , if this vehicle offers Rs10/Km then its a winner. God knows whats going to happen to Tavera, I believe they are coming up with Chinese ( SAIC ) vehicle copycat of Evalia.
I get your point and yes any private car buyer would think a couple of times before plonking down their money for the Evalia , however even if it has to do well in the taxi segment , then also there are a couple of points which go against it :-

No roll down windows for the middle row !! Even if the taxi segment adopts this car , the customers at the end of the day would complain about the same . And if i were to be given the Evalia for a taxi commute i would definitely make it a point not to travel in the same the next time i pot for a taxi commute .

Moreover recently a couple of my friends had to go to a close-by destination and the going rate for the tavera with A/C was Rs 8.5/Km which is way less than the Rs 10/Km mark .

Also if the analogy of maximizing bucks per kilometer were true then the Innova would have been beaten by the XYLO , Tavera etc a long time ago .
Enigmatic is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2012, 05:33   #88
Senior - BHPian

Superb review - this car has the potential of becoming a favorite with site seeing tour operators IMO.

A few things which I would change are:

> Glove box with a lid
> proper 2nd row windows
> better tires
> darker seat fabric
> the rear hatch design
Old 23rd August 2012, 06:02   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Some things that Nissan needs to fix before launch are:
1. Rear wiper
2. Rear defogger
3. Day/night mirror
4. USB ready HU
Just to add to the list. Middle row arm rests. I rested my arm on thin air more than a few times only to have my arm fall down. The arm rests maynot be possible on the door but why not give foldable arm rests attached to the seat back.

Also, the Ertiga has much better seat adjustment options. In the Evalia there is too much of pulling this or lifting that. To get out from the third row, you need to pull the loop for pushing the back rest down and then lift 2 loops at the base near your feet to fold the seat forward. In the Ertiga there is a single lever which you pull that pushes the seat back down and slides the seat forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
45 psi, leaf springs, 165/80 R14 LT tyres and you guys found the ride comfort to be decent. I am baffled! Where in Bangalore did you do the test?
The drive was from Lalit Ashok towards Nandi Hills. So there were a few bad patches on the BIAL road where there is flyover construction. Then once you turn into the Nandi hills road from the highway, the surface is not very even. We also went a bit off the track for photos on the rocks.

Surprisingly the ride was pretty decent. It wasn't really soft but not at all like leaf springs.

Another thing is compared to the Innova and Xylo which is a ladder frame the ride in the Evalia has less judder.

For a nice family drive of 5-6 people, the Evalia is perfect. It's like a small caravan and you can literally have a picnic inside it.

In US you get Mini vans like Honda Odyssey, Dodge Grand caravan and Toyota Sienna. Those maybe more upmarket and have better looks but serve the same purpose as the Evalia.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 23rd August 2012 at 06:17.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2012, 12:36   #90
BHPian

A well detailed review as ever, Rehaan.

Personally, I think its a contender for India's most hideous looking vehicle.
I don't see it becoming a hit with the urban family. If priced economically, it may be successful as a commercial vehicle.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks