Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2012, 10:58   #91
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Sail U-VA : Official Review

If beat diesel PS is priced at Rs 4.6 lacs sail PS can't be below 5.10 lacs, i guess and nearly 5.3 lacs for LS , 5.75 for LT & Rs 6.25 for LT-O keeping same price difference for sail as for beat!

The logic behind this is chevy can't canibalize beat with sail by pricing it too close to beat so at least Rs 50k difference (possibly more!) will have to be there between the two brands. So that means SAIL will be priced around Vista/Ritz and a little higher than Figo.

Last edited by rock75 : 19th October 2012 at 10:59.
Old 19th October 2012, 11:38   #92
Team-BHP Support

Excellent review Suhaas and Rehaan! And the opening line on Japanese, Korean and Chinese cars really set the tone. Nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
This is the 2nd generation Sail and was introduced in 2010. In this day and age of brash and outlandish designs, the Sail comes across as a breath of fresh air for those who prefer conventional, understated and inoffensive styling. It’s a handsome car and unlike its smaller, eccentric brother - the Beat - the design isn't too loud. The Sail has none of that quirkiness and angularity. This makes the car completely unassuming and some folk might find it to be too bland. As a result, the Sail may get lost in the crowd of B+ segment hatchbacks. In fact, I think it even looks dated, just as the Figo did at the time of launch. Those ‘Christmas-tree’ tail-lamps for instance, have been around on hatchbacks for decades now. The design on the whole is ordinary at best. Exterior fit and finish is decent, while build quality is average. The doors lack solidity and feel tinny when you shut them, as does the boot-lid. Panel gaps are even and tight.
For the first time, I really liked the looks of a Chevrolet (sold in India). It may be a bit bland, but definitely has the chance to age more gracefully. And even the interiors colour combination has an air of understated elegance. Similar to how Figo is for the fellow American, the Sail could be the volume player for GM (if priced well).

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
They could have tried a 3-row 6 seater version with this, IMO.
Utility is not just everything right? A third row in a car of this size could be a serious compromise on occupant safety.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 12:01   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
If beat diesel PS is priced at Rs 4.6 lacs sail PS can't be below 5.10 lacs, i guess and nearly 5.3 lacs for LS , 5.75 for LT & Rs 6.25 for LT-O keeping same price difference for sail as for beat!

The logic behind this is chevy can't canibalize beat with sail by pricing it too close to beat so at least Rs 50k difference (possibly more!) will have to be there between the two brands. So that means SAIL will be priced around Vista/Ritz and a little higher than Figo.
I completely agree. Sail doesn't have the premium feel to compete against i20, polo but at the same time it cant be launched at beat price.

It is a very difficult scenario for them. Even 50k over beat - Sail could cannibalize Beat sales. 50k isn't a big difference when Sail is a bigger in every aspect.
Now considering its priced at 1 Lakh more than Beat it falls into premium segment pricing.

Better loose sales on Beat if you can make good numbers with Sail.
Old 19th October 2012, 12:12   #94
Senior - BHPian

I am very impressed. Didn't think the Sail would be this competent a package after seeing the numerous spy pictures and the associated stories.

The car looks very nice on the outside. The only thing missing is the grab type door handles. Those are very convenient and transform the side profile. Otherwise the car looks all good to me on the outside. GM has done a great job with the exterior.

No at all a fan of interior, many bits are going wrong there. But it is very spacious though.

Also, excellent numbers from the TCDi. 205Nm @ 1750 is brilliant. At least on paper, this looks the best engine gearbox combination of our national engine with a FGT.

Very interested to see how GM will play the price game. Too competent and the Sail will eat away the Beat D. Too much of a premium and the Sail will find the battle with the established players a little too tough.

And thanks for a great review guys.
Old 19th October 2012, 12:19   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Splendid review. The SAIL has the potential to be a good value for money hatchback (if Chevy prices it right) albeit with dated styling and sparse equipment list. The interiors in particular look very plain. Having said that, Chevy's efforts in tuning the engine for better urban drive-ability is commendable. I wonder how they managed to squeeze out 205 Nm of torque from a FGT MJD engine.

Are you sure about that? Maruti's tech specs for the Swift/Ritz still talk about peak torque of 190 Nm at 2000 rpm. The 200 Nm at 1750 rpm is for VGT engines used in SX4/Ertiga.
Thanks for the correction! I stand corrected!
swiftdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 12:34   #96
BHPian

Thanks for the crisp review Suhaas & Rehaan.

The Sail clearly is as exciting or bland as the Figo and has the full potential to set the ball rolling for Chevrolet as it happened in the case of Ford.

Figo will definitely face the heat if this one is priced correctly. Also cannibalization of Beat's sales will be a concern for GM in case of the diesel versions.

Overall, this is a good sensible urban family car offering.
Old 19th October 2012, 12:37   #97
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Utility is not just everything right? A third row in a car of this size could be a serious compromise on occupant safety.
Yes I agree completely. But as long as cars like Omni, Eeco are selling and that too in big numbers compared to the old U-VA numbers, there is no problem is trying such an act, IMO. Moreover, cars like Bolero, XUV have third row very close to the rear window! If manufacturers were that much serious on the safety aspect, they would have provided ABS and Airbags in base versions also!

Last edited by romeomidhun : 19th October 2012 at 12:39.
Old 19th October 2012, 13:00   #98
BHPian

A very nice and detailed review - as it has almost become a norm now on T-bhp. Few bits are better than earlier model but I seriously doubt if Chevy could sail in the market with sail.

Seen this topic 'late' (after 6 pages) so not sure if it is mentioned already - that the Figo's picture still shows old model which is replaced now, it could be better if the new Figo picture is posted (preferably the yellow one).
Old 19th October 2012, 14:49   #99
BHPian

Nice review guys! Thank you. As mentioned its a jack of all trades and master of none. I did not like the rear design though.

Is the 3 yr/100000km warranty available on diesels too? If that is the case then I am sure it would definitely be a deal-maker.

Last edited by nettooran : 19th October 2012 at 14:50.
Old 19th October 2012, 14:56   #100
BHPian

Top notch review as always.

To me, this car is more Liva, Figo than Polo, Punto; a complete, no nosense family hatchback. However, I feel they should've got the Sonic instead, looking at their current portfolio. The Cruze, Beat and the soon to be updated Spark are quite loud cars (in terms of styling) on the road, such a plain jane offering seems a bit sad. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by tejus.s : 19th October 2012 at 14:57. Reason: Grammatical errors
Old 19th October 2012, 14:58   #101
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya116 View Post
I loved the bit you guys pointed out on the raised seats and lowered footwell. really maximises underthigh support and decreases the need to push your seat back.
Here's a view of the underside of the car. The big void in the middle is for the fuel tank:
Name:  tank Capture.PNG
Views: 3035
Size:  115.1 KB

"Top" view (car facing the opposite way though):

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha View Post
Also guys, any info on how the Sail fares on safety? ABS and airbags is fine, but how does it perform in crash tests like the Euro-NCAP?
4-Star in the C-NCAP:
Chevrolet Sail U-VA : Official Review-safety-capture.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
I cant even imagine what could have been the Sail's sale, had this vehicle been a part of the Maruti family.

Enjoyed your post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadbike View Post
Is C-NCAP similar to Euro-NCAP? Topgear was very critical about the Chinese safety tests so that they simulated one themselves.
Could you share a link, i can't seem to find it.

Thanks,
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th October 2012 at 15:00.
Rehaan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 15:23   #102
BHPian

It was not on Top Gear Magazine it was on the TopGear UK show, there is nothing much to say actually as there was this episode last season where they went to China to check out some of their cars said their safety rating was not up to standards and demonstrated it by doing crash tests and all but at 1 or 2 KMPH.

Here is the link

Last edited by quadbike : 19th October 2012 at 15:25.
quadbike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 16:10   #103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadbike
It was not on Top Gear Magazine it was on the TopGear UK show, there is nothing much to say actually as there was this episode last season where they went to China to check out some of their cars said their safety rating was not up to standards and demonstrated it by doing crash tests and all but at 1 or 2 KMPH.
Well, that episode was just pure entertainment (in typical TG way) and not really talking on the actual safety standards. I guess the Sail's safety standards should be on par with the competitors in the same segment.
Old 19th October 2012, 16:27   #104
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
but my not pose any challenge in commercial market due to after sales and spare part cost.
Cab driver's aren't penny wise & pound foolish. Think for a moment why the Innova is the most coveted cab in India. It's spare parts are 50 - 100% more expensive than the domestic competition. Fact is, the Innova's parts rarely ever fail. Even the wear & tear components last far, far longer than in the domestic UVs. If you want a better quality part, you generally pay a higher price for it.

I've owned an Indigo and thus know the kind of rubbish part quality that Tata uses. I'd rather pay Rs. 5000 for a component that will last me 100,000 kms than pay Rs. 2000 for a part that'll only run for 20,000 kms.

My 75,000 kms Honda City was infinitely more reliable than my 35,000 kms Indigo that had some problem or the other every 2 months (come what may).
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th October 2012, 17:00   #105
Senior - BHPian

All this thread talk is fine. IMO, Chevy should drop Beat prices (its a bit overpriced for its space), price this very close to the Micra / Ritz etc as rock75 said (frankly a bit under, if they want the volumes) and this baby WILL SELL! (provided its reliable as GTO said).

I like the looks. Simple clean and neat. I will buy one if the warranty is as posted (esp if they give like a 4 year, 1.2L km warranty!)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks