Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2012, 23:00   #166
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Sail U-VA : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
Don't think you have read the page 1 comparison... Sail is almost 15 cm longer than Vista. (sail: 3946 mm vs Vista:3795 mm). Infact lengthwise it is closest to i20. you might have been referring to the wheel base which is almost identical with vista(Sail being 0.5 cm shorter).

On the ingress Egress, Could the reviewers please point how how good or bad is the ingress egress as compared to the best in segment such as Swift, Punto, I20 etc? I have couple of big build friend who like to enjoy rear seat comfort and usually have problems entering with the doors of hatchbacks which dont open fully.
No i was referring to height and the angle of the 'A'pillar. Irrespective of the wheelbase or the overall length the thing that would matter most is the distance between the 'A' & C pillar. and the clearance between the front seat and somewhere half way of the 'A' pillar. the height of the seat from ground also matters to some extent. Vista is about 4.5 cms taller than the sail and it has lower ground clearance and so may just have more usable height.
some taller cars have a lot of headroom free due to low set seats and some like vista have high set seats from floor ( car floor in this case) and if u are tall you'll have the roof very close in your eyeline.
my point is apparently the sail seems to have a shallower rake than the vista. so maybe taller person may have difficulty entering and seating in front seats . this could be specially worse if it has a high lip ( like polo ) a low set shorter car with a high lip is terrible formula for tall people with lumbar problems ( both lower spine and neck ).
the i20 for all its size has typically low set seats. very very uncomfortable for me both to get in and sit that low for longer time, same for figo.
the vista and the fabia are a little better. Ritz, wagon r / santro and even the i10 is excellent for ingress but quite short on space inside.
Polo is very very poor for ingress for somebody tall with bad back., so is punto.
new swift is no great shakes either and the beat has poor interior space and sharp edged dash board is too dangerous for safe and smooth ingress.
The sail looks promising and better than everything currently available but may not be even in the vists and fabia range as far as ingress and seating posture is concerned for front seat. ( mind you this is purely my personal observation and experience )
This seems to be the only apparent chink in its form for me to buy it. otherwise, i even like the rear which doesnt seem to have too many admirers on the forum.
it looks big and seems to have a mature elegance in its form. very simple lines and very well balanced. in todays time one rarely sees a simple beautiful form flowing simply inside out. no cheap gimmics ,no frivolous elements, no faux wood panels or chrome trims where they have no reason to be.
I just suspect looking at side elevations of sail - i20 - swift, it may not be the best form for somebody with my particular structure and problem.
it looks excellent prospect otherwise for somebody looking for a compact with big sedan feel.
HIGHNOON is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 15:35   #167
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroback View Post
That said, Rehaan did you notice OBD2 port somewhere in the car? Where is it located?
Its probably in/around the driver footwell. If i'm not mistaken, OBD2 requirements state that the port needs to be located within 61 cm from the steering wheel, in reach of the driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
1) The on-paper turning circle diameter of 10.3 m looks huge for a sub-4m hatch. Did you face any issues while taking U-turns?
A turning radius of 5.15 meters is not bad for a car of this size / wheelbase. We didn't do many city U-turns, but this shouldn't be a major pain point. I think the i20 (similar dimensions) has a slightly larger 5.2m turning radius.

Quote:
2) Does the car come with an ECU controlled rolling code engine immobilizer
Sorry, we aren't sure about this one.

Quote:
does the spare key provided by Chevy also have the remote open-and-lock function?
We were only given one key per car. The dealers would have an answer to this, as it might also depend on the variant you choose.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th October 2012 at 15:42.
Rehaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th October 2012, 18:01   #168
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I'm not sure if it has already been mentioned on the forum, but expect real competitive pricing with the sail. The base petrol will start at 3.99 L. This is from an authentic source. Based on this, expect the diesel to start at around 5L (guessing) which is excellent pricing for this car, considering the space and value on offer.
Old 30th October 2012, 19:47   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
Attaching the powerpoint file on SAIL that I got from the chevy dealer.
Thanks for that powerpoint, Was this circulated by Chevrolet guys to their dealership, I see one page straightaway (the comparo) picked from Team-Bhp review. hope they took permission. Looking at the Page 10 of presentation specs I Liked quite a few things.
a) Standard power ORVM. - Available on all models.
Extremely helpful thing in a wide bodied cars, I always face this problem in my UVA when i need to turn the left ORVM while driving alone and when i come from a highway to the galli mohalla road.
b) Split Rear Seats : Available in all models.
Amazing if it starts from lowest trim. so the flatbed thing should be available in all models.
c) Looks like Driver Airbag and ABS both are available in Lowest+1 model...wow
d) Power Steering Common (Thanks for not having a Liva type non PS version)

To me there are so many spelling errors, doesn't quite look like a job of the company guys. Looks like put up by some outsider. ("avalable", "milage" to quote a few)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Guys, I'm not sure if it has already been mentioned on the forum, but expect real competitive pricing with the sail. The base petrol will start at 3.99 L. This is from an authentic source. Based on this, expect the diesel to start at around 5L (guessing) which is excellent pricing for this car, considering the space and value on offer.
Quite frankly I don't think its possible, your source could be wrong there. Considering the below Price point of Beat plus a gap of +85-90K from beat (to stop any cannibalization) and considering diesel Gap from Swift (110-120K) and also adding all those features above in SUPS' presentation, if true, (which I don't think current swift or beat has), plus all those length size volume, ride quality advantage on the side of sail, I am getting an altogether different feel on pricing. I am sure they have i20, Swift, Liva, Micra and Polo in sight than taking the fight with Figo and Ritz on which beat is already doing a decent job. 'Competitive pricing' may mean an entirely different thing considering who the real competition is

Beat(p): 3.75 and Beat(d):4.55
Swift(p): 4.50 and Swift(d):5.6L (starting models)

Last edited by anu21v : 30th October 2012 at 20:11.
Old 30th October 2012, 20:52   #170
BHPian

They have to price it at least Rs 50,000 lower than swift for both petrol as well as diesel to make any significant impact! Price it any where close to swift and people will just not buy it, a known devil is better than unknown one!

Whatever be the VFM factor that Chevrolet is offering they can not afford to go wrong with this launch. Once it gets established they may gradually increase the price.
Old 30th October 2012, 23:11   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quite frankly I don't think its possible, your source could be wrong there. Considering the below Price point of Beat plus a gap of +85-90K from beat (to stop any cannibalization) ...

Beat(p): 3.75 and Beat(d):4.55
Swift(p): 4.50 and Swift(d):5.6L (starting models)
Well, I asked the same questions. Let us see, come Nov. 2nd
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2012, 09:30   #172
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for that powerpoint, Was this circulated by Chevrolet guys to their dealership, I see one page straightaway (the comparo) picked from Team-Bhp review.
When I called up one of the chevy dealers, they said that they have no information on the features in the car. Also no information on price details. They also did not show me much interest. Response was just the opposite with the other dealer in Pune. They immediately said that they can mail be one presentation showing some of the details. So, I could not ask at that point the originality of the document. But, you are right, I think its a cooked up document from the dealer. Nevertheless, they mentioned that the booking has started already and I can come and book now. The pricing of top LT model was expected to be in the range of Swift VDI,as per the dealer. So, I hope the LT diesel model should be within 7.5L OTR. In that case, I am probably one of the prospective buyers, as my priority is back seat and ride quality. I wish they would have included ACC in the top model.
Old 1st November 2012, 16:23   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sups View Post
Attaching the powerpoint file on SAIL that I got from the chevy dealer.

The powerpoint looks good. Most of the comparision with other cars in the segment seems to be correct. But I think they went wrong with the Figo. The've mentioned 3 points:-

Poor engine response

Narrow front seats

Average legroom at rear

Other than the narrow front seats, the other two are hogwash.

Last edited by vnabhi : 1st November 2012 at 16:24.
Old 1st November 2012, 17:23   #174
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Well, I asked the same questions. Let us see, come Nov. 2nd
Absolutely, 1 more day to go. We will get to know by tomm same time. I hope they price it below the swift, which looking at the comparison seems a difficult task. I for one am waiting for the Sedan version of sail though, which looks the best of the lot in the segment of 'Ugly' Dzire, 'Tata' Manza, 'super economy class' Etios, and '3 generation old' Verito/Logan. The looks of Sail Sedan, when viewed from rear or side, remind me of 2nd Gen NHC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
The powerpoint looks good. Most of the comparision with other cars in the segment seems to be correct. But I think they went wrong with the Figo. The've mentioned 3 points:-

Poor engine response

Narrow front seats

Average legroom at rear

Other than the narrow front seats, the other two are hogwash.
I think comparison is quite mixed up, On some model it seems comparison is with Diesel (Polo) and other comparison is with petrol version. Figo Petrol is the Worst in this entire Segment with low BHP and forgettable mileage. I still think that PPT is not the Cheve company guys' job because of the numerous errros.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
my point is apparently the sail seems to have a shallower rake than the vista. so maybe taller person may have difficulty entering and seating in front seats . this could be specially worse if it has a high lip ( like polo ) a low set shorter car with a high lip is terrible formula for tall people with lumbar problems ( both lower spine and neck ).
the i20 for all its size has typically low set seats. very very uncomfortable for me both to get in and sit that low for longer time, same for figo.
the vista and the fabia are a little better. Ritz, wagon r / santro and even the i10 is excellent for ingress but quite short on space inside.
Polo is very very poor for ingress for somebody tall with bad back., so is punto.
new swift is no great shakes either
Every time i see a sloping roof line and low Rake-to-roof height, i ask the same question. In fact I asked the reviewers in one of my previous Post to Compare the INGRESS/EGRESS of this car with the best in this segment but haven't got any answers. Probably reviewers think they have already answered this question on page 1 where reviewers mentioned "Ergonomically, the Sail is nearly perfect. The doors open wide and allow for easy ingress & egress".

I would still like to see a comparison with the best in the HB segment to see how good it is and which car is closest to sail in terms of ingres/Egress just to get an Idea.

Last edited by anu21v : 1st November 2012 at 17:43.
Old 1st November 2012, 18:59   #175

One noticeable difference from most American cars running in India (Ford or Chevrolet) , the Wiper controls and Signal switch is placed as per Japanese ,Korean or U.K standard.
Old 1st November 2012, 19:54   #176
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Every time i see a sloping roof line and low Rake-to-roof height, i ask the same question. In fact I asked the reviewers in one of my previous Post to Compare the INGRESS/EGRESS of this car with the best in this segment but haven't got any answers. Probably reviewers think they have already answered this question on page 1 where reviewers mentioned "Ergonomically, the Sail is nearly perfect. The doors open wide and allow for easy ingress & egress".
The Sail's ingress / egress is near very good It is hard to compare the ingress / egress of a car with another. Numbers can't quantify it. However, i'd like to say that getting into the car is not a problem. You will not hit your head against the roof-line sill even if you're of the taller / wider variety. The rear doors in particular open quite wide and as you can see, the rear doors are long even by hatchback standards. That should give you a fair indication, I believe.

If I had to compare it with some car, I'd say it's as good as the Etios Liva?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilmadgavkar View Post
One noticeable difference from most American cars running in India (Ford or Chevrolet) , the Wiper controls and Signal switch is placed as per Japanese ,Korean or U.K standard.
Fords that are sold here are designed predominantly for the European market and are based on Euro-Ford underpinnings unless you consider the Endeavour which is a pick-up-truck for the Thai market. The Fiesta sedan is sold in the US though. I don't know of Fords in India with the wiper and indicator stalks on the left / right respectively. The Sail's stalks are perceived to be of the conventional arrangement (like Hondas, Hyundais and Marutis)
suhaas307 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 09:48   #177
BHPian

Launch is scheduled from 12 am onwards, let us wait for the details. Anyone knows where to catch the live webcast?
Old 2nd November 2012, 10:16   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
Launch is scheduled from 12 am onwards, let us wait for the details. Anyone knows where to catch the live webcast?
Just checked on the Chevrolet India FB page and found this mssg and the link

Quote:
If you thought you had seen it all, wait till you catch the latest sensation from Chevrolet!

Watch the unveiling of the All new Chevrolet SAIL U-VA with a LIVE webcast tomorrow at 12:00 noon.

Prepare to be thrilled! Click on the link for the upcoming webcast:
http://www.chevrolet.co.in/vehicles/...ail-u-va2.html
Old 2nd November 2012, 10:26   #179
Senior - BHPian

One interesting development bought out by Maruti is the doing away with the *intermittent* mode on the wiper in Alto & related models. I don't know which models have this mode functioning still. It used to be around for all models of Maruti in their decade old models. Is this is an industry-wide phenomenon, i.e. does the Sail U-VA have this mode functioning. I believe the intermittent mode is patented by an American gentleman and some kind of royalty needs to be paid to implement this, or else why would car companies skimp on it.
Old 2nd November 2012, 10:56   #180
Senior - BHPian

Why that page has the car under wraps i dont understand given how much everyone already knows.

Dont know if this has been highlighted earlier but the website also carries a teaser video for the SAIL now. Youtube link below as well.

Quote:
Just checked on the Chevrolet India FB page and found this mssg and the link

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks