Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2012, 15:47   #136
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Sail U-VA : Official Review

I saw one yesterday in red color, very frankly the looks are not exciting. Too much neutral design, its looks longer though. Pricing might be GMs best weapon.
Old 23rd October 2012, 16:22   #137
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
As per ACI, Sail takes 15 odd seconds to touch 100 kmph while Swift/dzire can do it in 13 odd seconds. Is it something like outright acceleration is still the best (among all MJDs including the VGTs) with the Swift going by ACI numbers ?
In terms of outright acceleration, the Sail U-VA is probably not as good as other MJD applications. Yes, it's marginally slower. I don't go by figures generally, unless it's a supercar or something But the Sail feels pretty quick off the line. It does not deliver boost / torque @ 2000 revs like the Swift. Like mentioned before, the torque / boost delivery is more linear and gradual.

And since it comes in a little earlier, city drivability is better than the Swift's because it lacks that shove which can get irritating IMO when moderating between crawling and moderate traffic.

That said, it's all about getting used to the ratios and knowing when to slot the right gear in.

Quote:
How does Vista Qjd compare with Sail in terms of city driveability ? Vista has better ingear numbers than Swift.
Haven't driven the Vista but I don't think it should be that much different. 1st and 2nd gear were on the shorter side in the Sail but 3rd is very tractable and allows you to pick up from slower speeds and maintain higher speeds too.

Quote:
To add some more questions
- How is Sail's NVH level compared to i20 CRDi and new Swift ?
- Punto vs Sail : Straightline stability & Ride quality ?
- The i20 feels damped on the inside and NVH levels are decent. But in the Swift, there seemed to be more road noise. The engine clatter too was apparent in the Swift. More than in the Sail - which frankly scored better than the Swift in terms of overall NVH levels. A friend of mine owns a ZDi and I found that the engine clatter filters into the cabin especially when you're accelerating but it was much less evident in the Sail with the same sort of acceleration. NVH levels are surprisingly very good and it's right up there with the premium hatchbacks and C-Segment sedans.

It's also worth mentioning that the i20 does not fare too well in terms of vibrations. In both, the petrol and diesel i20, you do feel vibrations through the steering wheel and interior panels do transmit some of it, but hardly in the Sail.

- Ride quality in the Sail is on par with the Punto. Even after throwing the U-VA into pot-holes and craters, thuds rarely crept into the cabin and even though the ride isn't exactly cushy, it's supple and ironed out most undulations without throwing you around vertically or laterally.

Straight-line stability in the Sail is frankly pretty good but probably not as good as the Punto's, but that's largely due to the sensitive-on-center steering. It's quite light and does not weight up at speed so keeping it rock solid is difficult and while making constant corrections, you feel it being twitchy. Outright stability in the Sail is quite good nevertheless. The chassis is a sorted one and you don't hear the suspension working overtime either. In fact, the suspension is very well tuned. It does feel stiff but not uncomfortable. Undulations and uneven roads don't throw the car off while doing higher speeds unlike in some Hondas and Hyundais. There is very little bobbing over these kind of roads. The suspension lacks sponginess (which is a good thing) and still absorbs the bad patches and I believe this is a great setup for Indian road conditions.

The Punto's steering is heavier and much more direct and allows you to make corrections without being twitchy and nervous. It's a much better steering. It weights up unlike the Sail's which feels just as light even @ 100 km/h. *scary* But for typical city-driving conditions, the Sail's steering is very good because it's light and it does not want to return to center violently like it does in the i20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
What exactly is lacking there in the build quality, Can you compare it with so called flimsy Liva, i20 and marutis as well as tank like build quality of Punto. Is it the thinner steel quality or is it the missing/single/double rubber lining on door and body outers or is it simply the missing european thud sound? Could you post some of those picture highlighting the same. Also how is the high speed stability of the car? have you guys driven it past 130 KMPH to get the feel? How does this compares with rest of the competition?
Exterior build-quality is somewhere between Honda and Maruti, I'd say. It wouldn't be fair to compare it in that fashion but this is my observation. It certainly isn't solid like the Punto / Polo / Fabia, but it does not feel very tinny like some Marutis and do. Sail is put together reasonably well. When you close the doors, you do get that tinny sound and it does not close with a thud just like in the Jazz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
If I go by my current UVA i expect a pretty decent build quality with thicker steel (and which is why higher curb weight) and my expectation is clearly a build quality superior to any of the Maruti and Suzuki, which has been the case for other cars from Cheve stable so far. Also I like the high speed stability of current UVA and enjoy driving it on Noida-Greater Noida E-Way.
I would say build-quality is very similar to its predecessor, and the Aveo U-VA was decent. Except, this car is more dynamically sorted than the car it replaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgesraju View Post
It is more European than Chinese - the platform is (old) European, the (diesel) engine is European, the gearbox is a modern European as per ACI's report. It is just like an old European wearing some Chinese dress.
I had read up about the Sail when it was out in other markets. Something that caught my attention was that it borrows the old and now defunct Opel Corsa's underpinnings. Essentially, it's a heavily reworked Corsa B platform. This can only be a good thing because the Corsa was known for it's exemplary ride quality and road manners.It's similar to what Ford had done with the Figo (old Fiesta platform)

This intrigued me enough to ask questions on it. We had come to understand that it is very loosely based on the Corsa i.e. most of it is new (this is what the bigwigs behind the development of the Sail had to say, I'd take it with a pinch of salt) Yes, I believe that they started out with the base of the Corsa and then went about altering it heavily and eventually arrived at the Sail. For example the relocation of the fuel-tank to the middle of the floor-pan (underneath the front seats), EPS etc. It's also worthy to note that the gearbox is modern. So this is a new car and not actually old-wine-in-new-bottle types.

However, I'd also like to point out that I haven't found concrete information and evidence on this, apart from the Wiki page and some forums. So this information is best understood and taken lightly.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 23rd October 2012 at 16:56.
suhaas307 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2012, 18:25   #138
BHPian

I hope I have missed it!
But isnt there DTE, Avg FE in the small display??
If it isnt then i would really hold the 'outdated' line

But overall this car reeks of practicality and is a complete no-nonsense. It is sure to get masses if advertised right!
Old 23rd October 2012, 18:28   #139
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_carmaster View Post
But isnt there DTE, Avg FE in the small display??
Nope, only ODO and 1 TRIP meter.

cya
R
Old 23rd October 2012, 18:34   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Nope, only ODO and 1 TRIP meter.

cya
R
Thats a bit harsh move, for excluding such things in Our market
But how many times do we actually rely on such gizmos!?

They are more of showing it to your uncle to surprise how technology has evolved!

Pardoning my ignorance
Can these devices (Ave FE, DTE, etc)be an aftermarket fit? without voiding warranty
Because a tachometer can be! and would love to install one if we go for this!
Old 23rd October 2012, 18:40   #141
Senior - BHPian

Chevy has done a decent job with the Sail unlike what Toyota did with the Etios.
But the car just lacks appeal! No one is going to love it for its looks, but GM is known for decent marketing campaigns, so the sail should be pull numbers from the figo.
I dont know about the sail creating an impact on the swift, its just not "zesty" enough and add to the fact that the majority of the country is obsessed with the swift in spite of its ridiculous boot space and poor braking.
I'm also pretty sure that GM will get its pricing right, expect it bang on with the figo.
Old 23rd October 2012, 18:48   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_carmaster View Post
Thats a bit harsh move, for excluding such things in Our market
But how many times do we actually rely on such gizmos!?

They are more of showing it to your uncle to surprise how technology has evolved!

Pardoning my ignorance
Can these devices (Ave FE, DTE, etc)be an aftermarket fit? without voiding warranty
Because a tachometer can be! and would love to install one if we go for this!
I think OBD2 port can be employed to good use in this case. But it may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer on what all you can use.

That said, Rehaan did you notice OBD2 port somewhere in the car? Where is it located?
Old 23rd October 2012, 22:53   #143
BHPian

Thank you suhaas for clearing up my doubts.
Sail indeed seems to be the car our AAM JUNTA wants.
Somehow I feel its the 'sedan' version that will generate the volume than this hatchback.
Reason ? Hatchback segment is jam packed with very little scope for newer entries to generate great numbers.
Entry level sedan segment has more scope with lesser number of competitors.
Booted Sail will actually tick all the right boxes against the likes of dzire,manza and etios.
Old 25th October 2012, 11:08   #144
BHPian

Sail U-VA Teaser up

Link:http://www.chevrolet.co.in/vehicles/...ail-u-va2.html
sarthakgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 09:50   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
In terms of design, this is another UVA. The Diesel engine option is the attraction, and I expect monthly sales around 2.5 - 3K.

This is the best look of this car, IMO. They could have tried a 3-row 6 seater version with this, IMO.
They could have. But I think its better this way. If they had managed to get a 3rd row inside, everyone would be talking about the 'hatchback with a 3rd row' would definitely be tagged 'cramped'. Now it is the spacious car, let it be that way. Take no offense my friend.
Old 26th October 2012, 09:58   #146
BHPian

I think they should bring back the SRV with a diesel heart for just that.
quadbike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2012, 11:47   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
- Ride quality in the Sail is on par with the Punto. Even after throwing the U-VA into pot-holes and craters, thuds rarely crept into the cabin and even though the ride isn't exactly cushy, it's supple and ironed out most undulations without throwing you around vertically or laterally.
Excellent review as expected from tbhp.

If I leave apart Punto/Fabia/Polo, can I say that this is the best choice among hatchbacks if back seat comfort and rear suspension is the priority within city limits (30 to 60 km/hr)?
Old 26th October 2012, 14:22   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Nice review there guys.
+1 to Rush. Looks will only find takers in the first go. But later its the equipment levels and maintenance costs that will decide.

- Did GM say anything about spare costs? Because that is one worry factor
- I felt tyres were a bit skinny. Did you feel the same? Will beefing it up help?
The whole car made in China tells all about spares cost.Even the car price not to be surprised if lowest of all others.
Old 26th October 2012, 14:25   #149
BHPian

Sedan means not just a boot at the back , but most importently not crossing the 4m line. Being a China centric vehicle do not expect it to be a sub 4m sedan.
Old 26th October 2012, 14:52   #150
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
They could have. But I think its better this way. If they had managed to get a 3rd row inside, everyone would be talking about the 'hatchback with a 3rd row' would definitely be tagged 'cramped'. Now it is the spacious car, let it be that way.
I think the term 'cramped' is purely relative. Whatever cramped inside, the cars like Eeco (3-row!), Alto etc are selling in good numbers. And even in international markets, cars like Toyota Avanza which is just 4120mm in length, have 3-row seating setup, and still sells well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks