Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2013, 10:23   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Indica Vista D90 : Official Review

Some respite from what I read in terms of product improvement. Good work Tata.

having said that the management should consider a variety / new models for the Indian customers.

1. Stop using the words Indica / Indigo. No more juice left in these names which can bring customers to the showrooms. Safari might have some but there should be an end to it. Tata's are thinking they can match Toyota Corolla by using the same name and making changes and one fine day argue - we have sold X million Indicas !
2. The association with taxi / commercial market has to be balanced out in a manner that does not pinches existing client base but simultaneously shifts the focus to new customers.
3. Tata FIAT has not done any good for Tata's too (barring access to Qjet engine) which other players have also got and that cannot be considered as a success in any case.
4. Quality - quality and quality - there are no shortcuts to it. Improvement in quality is an ongoing effort and none of the good companies take pause in this directions.
5. Organise promotional car clinics etc, make sure that the dates for commercial and private car owners are different. Tata should better do it in order to give good treatment to private car owners using their (tata) vehicles.
6. Almost all vehicle manufactures have history of recalling cars for fixing things when something has gone wrong. Tata's never did it and I am sure they don't make perfect products. Engage with customer and the customer will reciprocate.
7. Simply accepting mistakes is not enough, these are not for record keeping - please learn from your mistakes, you have given SUV / MUV market in a platter to M & M. Pathetic or Pity - Tata's may choose to pick any or both.
8. No learning even after acquiring JLo?
9. Indians expect value for money - agreed but please don't continue your attempts in this direction any more, it is not working for cars. Others players have proven it by introducing good products with better specs and at a higher price and taken away your market. Give what the market wants !
10. Set your advertising team right (look at the advertisement strategy when Indica was introduced to Indian in 1998) and look at it now. Please tell me Mr. Tata (or his successes) - (@Nano) would you like to sit in world's cheapest car? It represents a change in class even if its your first car, Maruti never did it even for M800 ages ago. Why you did it, I am not able to figure out.
Competition has not left any job as white collar - You know it as you compete in quite few segments, automobile is no different, roll up your sleeves and bring back your glory in this segment too.

All the very best Tatas

Last edited by i74js : 14th February 2013 at 10:26.
i74js is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 10:45   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Any idea what's the color on the 75 bhp variant? I always thought it was white since Manza has all white lights in it's cabin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
Will the changes to interiors be carried over to the existing 75BHP Vista, too? I read somewhere on the forum that it wasn't the case.
While interacting with Tata engineers during the test drive, they mentioned that "some" of the enhancements will make it's way into the 75bhp variant too. I hope NVH is one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I would sincerely like to know what was the benchmark here and what left a lot be desired, fittings? plastic quality? both? A few more pictures would have seriously helped. I am seriously considering buying Vista 90 as my next car over the Figo.
See the post following yours by Technocrat. There are harsh edges here and there. Some panels that are misaligned like the one around the key slot, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
It looks like a Map My India maps. and it seems to be in Day mode and hence its too bright.
This can be changed by setting to "day" "night" or "Auto"(changes to night mode at 6:30PM)
The night mode has black background with roads drawn in green
Night mode was enabled and it did have a glare at night. We set the HU to sleep and it would turn off the display after 3 seconds (can be extended in the menu).
Old 14th February 2013, 12:40   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Nice review, moralfibre!

The Indica is a functional, roomy and comfortable hatchback. Focusing on these strengths and improving build quality (and reliability) should be TATA's top priority.

Tata's top priority for their passenger cars at least should be after-sales support and service. With their existing service standards, no amount of improvement on build quality and/or design is going to attract customers. Ownership experience for Tata cars is such a headache that ultimately buying decisions will be swayed in favour of Maruti and others.
Old 14th February 2013, 13:32   #19
BHPian

Though late, finally they have come out with a powerful hatch pack, so what if they have upgraded the existing Vista. If only they improve the quality of parts used and pay attention to fit n finish and ensure to train their service centres for smooth handling of customers and vehicles, their products would be on par with the best available.
Instead of always criticizing, let us also applaud their efforts in providing such cars at affordable prices.
They need to improve on their image of bad service providers and make their brand more aspirational.
Old 14th February 2013, 13:53   #20
Senior - BHPian

This is a pointless exercise! 90 BHP in Indica Vista, who would care for that? If 20k customers every month are satisfied by the 75bhp swift, it really means that the engine has no issues at all! I have owned a dzire 75MJD and it never really felt underpowered.
The interior changes are welcome, even though I think the touch screen system more after market than anything else.
Instead of all this, just re-build the image of the indica. May be just let that word "indica" go!
Old 14th February 2013, 14:26   #21
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Superb review Moralfiber.

This seems to be one move in the right direction by TATA, a varient they should have, but the focus on FE rather than power delivery is in contrast with what a customer going for higher power wants though higher FE is in line with what one expects from TATA. So I feel they should have managed to give the driver a greater thrill than in the Swift and i20 when they are providing higher power and stiffer suspension.

The Closeup Snaps of the Head Unit typically make them and their fitment look cheap in all vehicles - my past experience of taking these kinds of snaps. Seeming them from further aways seems a better bet.

The gap on the left of USP etc, slot cover is possibly for the cover to open but seems like a fitment error on first sight in close up view.

They should have also given the car the Black leather seat and door trim treatment from the Manza Club Class.

The front skirt dealer fitment is a bit over done as mentioned and something better like available in the Etios Liva would have been good.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 14:56   #22
BHPian

Further to the Review, I would like to share on the "Jack mount locations hang lower than the floor and are visible from the side. Quite an eyesore" -This is there in Manza as well.
Jack Mount reduces the Ground Clearance & always gets hit when crossing speed breakers or humps or bumps!
On discussing with TATA engineers, what I came to understand is that, this mount is a temporary mount fitted by TATA for their manufacturing convenience & which is supposed to be knocked off post delivery. This is not for jacking although the jack point is at that place as per manual, people use it for jacking / lift during maintenance.
The good thing is that, this mount takes all the abuse or bruises whatever hits the under chassis & keeping the other part clear and safe.

Last edited by Velmurugan : 14th February 2013 at 14:57.
Velmurugan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 15:45   #23
BHPian

have been wondering for a while, technically, since the engine is the same as the 74 bhp cousin, what they have done is a re-map. In that case, someone who re-maps his current old Vista VX should also be getting similar performance. am i missing something?

obviously, all the cosmetic changes are most welcome as well
Old 14th February 2013, 15:53   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
The severe turbo-lag of the 74 BHP version is noticeably reduced, while power delivery is more gradual across the range. The Variable Geometry Turbo (VGT) does a good job of controlling lag and delivering torque at lower rpms, making city driving a peppier affair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvishnu View Post
have been wondering for a while, technically, since the engine is the same as the 74 bhp cousin, what they have done is a re-map. In that case, someone who re-maps his current old Vista VX should also be getting similar performance. am i missing something?
Emphasis mine. Sure both would have 90bhp, but reliability is priceless!
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 16:46   #25
BHPian

Seems like just a minor refresh. Tata has to back up its existing customers with a nice A.S.S and start making such refreshes for a car. The gardener in my flat(!) was advising me against getting a tata car home. When i asked him the reason, he said he knew people in the taxi market and said that tata cars send out so much smoke that they might qualify as a vehicle which spews out anti-mosquito stuff using those wierd machines which sound like motorboats. The chap did say maruti is the best in cars.

And for heaven's sake tats, please shed the indica tag, its got old, so old that people still recollect the old vehicle when I say indica.
Old 14th February 2013, 17:10   #26
BHPian

Quote:
The Tata Vista D90 has been launched in India at a price of between Rs. 6.00 - 6.83 lakhs (ex-Delhi).

What you’ll like:

• 89 BHP Vista is noticeably punchier than the regular 74 BHP variant. Improved low-end torque
• Among the most spacious hatchbacks
• Safety isn't optional anymore. ABS and EBD are standard on the Vista D90
• Instrument cluster is back where it belongs (in front of the driver)
• New interiors look and feel better in terms of overall quality
• NVH levels are impressive. Nearly petrol-like, up to a certain rpm level

What you won’t:

• Stiffened suspension means ride quality isn't as soft & absorbent as the 74 BHP Vista
• Fit & finish still aren't up to the mark. They leave a lot to be desired
• Top-end performance is missing. Swift is faster, Punto 90 more fun to drive
• Mediocre 232 liter boot size
• Niggling issues & irritants persist (as reported by existing Vista owners)
• Tata’s after-sales-service remains a gamble
Was eagerly awaiting this review!

Great job. Nice pics too.

I was totally expecting that line : Fit & finish still aren't up to the mark. They leave a lot to be desired

But I did not find enough evidence of the same.
I know for a fact that they are definitely improving there and a lot of changes have been made in a positive direction.

One does not come across gross body panel gaps as often as earlier.
And except for that 1 plastic trim could not find any other pics regarding this line.

IMO - I think it is wrong for Tata to try & pitch this as a 'SPORTY' car when they have obviously given FE more priority over outright performance.

Rest everything makes for a total VFM package overall. Safety, features, everything!
Even that video - handbrake bit is well thought.

Vista is WAAAY more spacious than the Swift.
i20 is the real competition where Tata can score with VFM, pricing, maintenance & the AMCs.

When will they start learning to be IN trend with the market?

Atleast somewhere they are slowly ramping up advertisment revenue - but definitely not enough.

Excellent VFM products for the Indian market but always falling a little short.
ALWAYS!.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 17:51   #27
BHPian

A thorough review Moralfibre!

Quote:
An optional body-kit is available at the dealer level. Honestly, the body kit looks quirky from the front. At best, you'd get the rear bumper treatment and skip the other bits
Indeed! The front bumper kit looks like a cut-paste job from some other sharper looking car. But, I am interested in getting the rear bumper treatment and the spoiler for my Vista. Good to know that it's available with the dealers.

Quote:
• A shoddy job at fitting door trim plastic panels:

• A second 12 volt socket is placed next to the parcel tray. Nifty:

• The D90 has significantly beefed up insulation. An example is this foam piece where the bonnet hinge rests:
All the above points apply to my 75 bhp 2011 Vista Refresh too. The foam piece in the bonnet is easily dislodged (and subsequently lost) by a high pressure water jet. I remove them from my car before giving it for a wash. The service personnel told me that as the piece doesn't have an individual part number, it is difficult to source and replace individually.
Old 14th February 2013, 18:47   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post

Any idea what's the color on the 75 bhp variant? I always thought it was white since Manza has all white lights in it's cabin.
They are white on the 75 bhp one too Swiftnfurious.

Overall good review.

However I must say that it is now proving to be more or less true that whatever TATA does, people overall are not satisfied.

Here we have a classic example of a car which has really evolved after being launched in late 2008 to the refresh version in August 2011 and now the D90. That too at a price point wherein our Indian middle class family can easily afford.

Statements like Tata Sales and Service remain a Gamble are things of the past. They are like any other Maruti Service.

When I recollect my Mumbai Sai service days, service at Concorde has been 1 star category higher.

Having driven the Vista for 23k in a year, driven across Rajasthan on a road trip of 6 k, with absolutely no issues, other than the Front Anti Roll Bushes being changed under warranty. speaks about the reliability of the product. Specially me being an impulsive driver.

The brake pads still hold awesome bite.

There are many on the forum whom I have met and own a 75 Punto. At 30k, they have changed the brake pads thrice, speaks about the quality of the product used.

Surely I am not here to abuse any specific manufacturer, just that we need to look at TATA a bit differently.

We always complain that it should shed the Indica Tag, but why do we even bother about it when we are not driving the INDICA. It's the Vista. Just a matter of 10 seconds and the Indica badge is off your car.

From what I look at it, the D90 is a nice product. With stiffer suspension and a stronger cage, the ABS, EBD, makes it a compelling buy. I am sure the body roll would have reduced with stiffer suspension and dampners.

Body Roll is something which is evident in the 75 bhp version, and a lot of feedback has been given to TATA. They listened to the feedback and have tried to do something different here.

I think we should atleast praise the manufacturer for providing a product at 6 lacs. Can anyone else even think of doing it? What does it actually take, to increase the engine power from 75 bhp to 90. An RD box costs 20k, and that's what Tata has done. Only increased the price by 20k from the normal version.

Hats off to TATA
gauravdgr8 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 19:11   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
They are white on the 75 bhp one too Swiftnfurious.

Overall good review.

However I must say that it is now proving to be more or less true that whatever TATA does, people overall are not satisfied...
I am sure everyone appreciates what TATA has done with the D90. But is it enough to garner sales; am not sure, I do NOT think it is. The reason is the baggage that TATA is carrying!

Merely removing the "Indica" badge would NOT get rid of it, an all new brand does - they should have been careful about that when the launch happened. And I am yet to come across any review or ownership reports which suggested need of additional power on the Vista.

The problem with TATA is they are never there or here! If you ask me, I would say D90 is a half baked product - they should have gone for stiffer suspension to handle extra power. From the review it is evident that the car is NOT a corner crave'r nor a comfortable carrier!

When they launch a new variant, they need to really position it the way they should. When 75 bhp has a very comfy rear bench, they should have tuned this car for enthusiasts - let the ride be stiff!

On the other hand, Indica is NEVER an aspirational brand. And the majority of Indian car buyers stick to a car for atleast 5 years, it's a status symbol / matter of pride to them! They would NOT want someone to tell them "Did you buy a TATA / Indica? ".

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 14th February 2013 at 19:12.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 19:54   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post

There are many on the forum whom I have met and own a 75 Punto. At 30k, they have changed the brake pads thrice, speaks about the quality of the product used.
Well there's no doubt D90 is a good buy at the given price point.

Do note that Fiat has a softer compound for its brake pads. But the bite offered in Punto is leagues ahead. I own a Punto which has done 24k kms on its first set of brake pads. It still has the same stopping power which it had on the first day.

Let's not turn this into a *bashing* thread. Just felt like clarifying.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks