Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2013, 17:23   #766
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbk_75 View Post
It might also explain Autocar India's 11.34 second 0-100 test run!
Interesting! 90ps 1.2 TSI is the base variant for the Polo here in Singapore, the 0-100 figure mentioned is 10.9 seconds (9.7 seconds for the 105ps).
Do keep us updated on the developments on this. Thanks!
Old 29th May 2013, 17:27   #767
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Polo 1.2L GT TSI : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Interesting! 90ps 1.2 TSI is the base variant for the Polo here in Singapore, the 0-100 figure mentioned is 10.9 seconds (9.7 seconds for the 105ps).
Do keep us updated on the developments on this. Thanks!
Precisely. A 10.9 second 0-100 can easily be 11.34 (which is what Autocar India tested the car at) depending on road conditions, fuel quality, etc.

A 9.7 second 0-100 car would have to be VERY badly driven, perhaps have a gear missed (which wouldn't happen in a 7 speed DSG), to record an 11.34 run!
kbk_75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2013, 19:34   #768
Senior - BHPian

Maybe all the 1.2's output is the same(90ps) and it is the mapping and turbo that makes the different outputs and the code that you said was different, is country and power specific and not power output specific alone.

The only way to find that out would be to check if all other GT TSI in India has the same code as yours.

Really doubt if VW or any auto major would give us a true 90ps engine claiming it is 105ps when everyone knows there are a millions ways to find the right figures.

Last edited by tharian : 29th May 2013 at 19:43.
Old 29th May 2013, 23:16   #769
BHPian

Instead of speculative statements, why dont one of you write to vw india (email) and ask them to clarify. Alternatively ask autocar or some mag to reachout as well. Should solve the issue straight up.
prithwi-81 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2013, 23:33   #770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithwi-81 View Post
Instead of speculative statements, why dont one of you write to vw india (email) and ask them to clarify. Alternatively ask autocar or some mag to reachout as well. Should solve the issue straight up.
I've already written to VW and spoken to HS at Autocar India. I've also PM'd all the owners on this thread to ask for their confirmation on what their engine numbers are.
Old 30th May 2013, 00:07   #771
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Not sure about the back but when I did the TD of Polo GT, I found the driver space is way smaller than of my Punto..
That tallies with my observation as well.

What I was trying to say is that cars like the Polo, Punto, Swift, etc are tight for two six-footers sitting one behind the other. Cars like the Jazz, the Figo and i20 are decent. And cars like the Liva, the Sail and the Indica are the most spacious.

Getting back to the topic:

kbk, that's quite a revelation! Sitting on the fence waiting for Polo GT owners to chip in with their notes on the engine-code. It will be interesting to see how VW responds to this as well.
Old 30th May 2013, 08:53   #772
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A rolling road dyno run will not prove anything unless we know how much the power loss percentage due to the DSG gearbox is. The power figures quoted by manufacturers are the figures the engine produces at the crank, not those at the wheels of the car.

In any case, does anyone know of a reputed workshop with a dyno in Pune or Bombay for that matter?
True but if you see ~70PS on the dyno, it's safe to assume that's it's 90PS whereas anything close to 90PS would confirm that the motor is 105PS.

I believe in Mumbai you have KS MotorSports that has a dyno.
Old 30th May 2013, 09:56   #773
Distinguished - BHPian

I can dyno the car if someone pays the 3000 bucks for it.
However, I would much rather dyno my modded laura again than the polo.
I will take however take some engine measurement logs with the polo and put it over here if its of any help

One more thing, Petes have modded a 1.2Tsi with the help of the custom code guys. Its a conservative remap making around 125hp with 210NM torque. The autocar guys are currently testing it and it should be up in one of their upcoming issues.

Last edited by robimahanta : 30th May 2013 at 10:05.
robimahanta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 11:02   #774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjanakpatel View Post
In the meantime how can we check what output our cars have besides the dyno. I dont have a dyno facility in my town. May be someone could dyno the TD car.
I would not dyno a brand new car. Getting the dealeship to provide you their TD car for a dyno run may not happen.

Take a TD of a petrol car with 90ps like the Etios or Liva Sportivo. Both these cars, though not rev monsters, have perky engines and you should be able to tell instantly if your car feels similar.
Old 30th May 2013, 12:13   #775

Mod Note : Please do NOT use more than 2 smileys per post. We advise you to read the Forum rules before proceeding any further.

Morning BHPians! Newbie here wanting a bit of guidance. I've placed my order for the GT TSI and am to get my new ride on the 5th or 6th of June. I've followed TBHP for about 5 years now and I've also gone through the new car buying and pre delivery checklist. Very honestly I don't have too much to add except share a few feelings with fellow Petrolheads ( ). I'm psyched about the eminent arrival, so much so that I've nearly memorized the brochure and my friends have started shooting me dubious looks...

Slight bits of concern:
1) Read in a review that in city bumper-to-bumper traffic, the DSG keeps hopping between 1st and 2nd in a jarring fashion. (New owners, any truth to it?)

2) Official TBHP TD of the GT TSI by (handle mobike008) states "Long-term reliability concerns over the DQ200 DSG transmission" ( ) Is it a truly worrisome matter for existing Laura or Superb owners?

3) During TD, I braked extremely hard to check the concerns for lack of discs at the rear, there was an intermittent shuddering from the pedal the likes of which I have felt in a 1991 E 220 when the ASP failed and the traction sign kept blinking. Is it the same reason?

4) If I were to change the rubbers, what would be best suited to the power delivery of the car?

5) Any advice on the inspection before registration or delivery that's not mentioned in the TBHP buying guide? And what freebies should I ABSOLUTELY insist on, considering that this car is gonna make me go hungry for a year..?

6) I've waited nearly 5 years since the day I saw the Polo launch and ever since wanted it. It's finally time. Am I the only guy who has ACTUALLY lost sleep over the imminent arrival in the family?

Last edited by GTO : 31st May 2013 at 14:05. Reason: Please do NOT use more than 2 smilies per post
Old 30th May 2013, 13:16   #776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSarker View Post
I braked extremely hard to check the concerns for lack of discs at the rear, there was an intermittent shuddering from the pedal
Depending on the car and ABS system used, you can feel a pulsating brake pedal under hard braking. Not sure about intermittent shuddering. I never tried this so can't say how the pedal would feel under hard braking. The brakes were excellent on the car I drove.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2013, 14:17   #777
Senior - BHPian

Was reading the latest edition of ACI, and this is what they reported of the DSG box in the GT TSi

Quote:
The DQ200 was prone to huge failures and this particular transmission's reliability once again came into question after a massive recall in the Chinese market. However,the electronic connectors in the transmission's mechatronics (the root cause of the problem) have been extensively modified to solve any reliability issues. Other changes for India include beefed up clutch plates to handle our intense stop-start traffic.
Marketing talk aside, I hope the DQ 200 issues have been solved for good.
Old 30th May 2013, 20:01   #778
BHPian

Quote:
Update: I went to the dealership to check the VCDS info on the engine this morning. Instead I discovered that the car had three dents on the roof pillar, even though it was brand new. I was deeply disappointed to see this and informed the GM that I could not accept a brand new car that had been damaged, whether or not they could "fix" the dents.
In which dealership did this happen?
Old 30th May 2013, 20:09   #779
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thiagust View Post
In which dealership did this happen?
Vidyut Motors in Pune. To be fair, the GM immediately accepted that I did not want the car and no argument or excuse was offered. Since, however, the TSI cars are in short supply it does mean I have to wait for another car, whereas I would have liked to see the next red car being allocated to me...it's not MY fault the car was damaged before delivery after all, but I have to go to the back of the queue because of it.
Old 30th May 2013, 21:29   #780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
To be honest, this would be anecdotal at best. I would expect a 7 speed DSG equipped car with 90 PS to easily out accelerate a manual car with the same power output.
Sure, but its worth a try. What do you stand to loose by doing this? When I took a TD of the GT, it felt quicker than my T Jet. I attribute this only to the gearbox, not the engine. In the real world, its probably about as quick if not quicker. Taking a TD of the Etios will atleast tell you where things stand based on the response of the engine in each gear. You will be calling it close as there is a difference of just 15bhp between the two cars and the Etios/Liva Sportivo are lighter cars than the GT.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks